• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgender journalist at EG Expo called "this person" on stage at MS event (See OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

joedick

Frankly it seems an overreaction to me .....

The guy probably just got confused on what you should use and went for the neutral.... bad choice apparently.

Given that it was a comic, I'm not gonna buy that. MS hired some amateur who doesn't know the difference between a corporate gig and curtain jerking in rural Texas.

I hate to admit it, but when I was a kid I used to refer to transgender people as "it", not because I was trying to degrade them, but because I was honestly confused on the whole issue and did not know the proper pronouns.

sonicmj1

The guy probably just got confused on what you should use and went for the neutral.... bad choice apparently.

Calling someone "it" is never a good choice. "Thing" is absolutely inexcusable.

I'm not sure why the stage staff refused to give the full name of the presenter.

Recall

I don't think the staff handbook covers the topic.

Either way common sense should kick in.

Samyy

How would you feel if someone called you "it" or "thing". Pretty damn horrible I bet.

"People at the stage appologise (sic) that I was upset by his comments, refused to bring him out for me to talk to", and "Refused to appologise (sic) for his actual actions".
This kind of thing pisses me just as much as the original ignorant jibes on stage. "We're sorry you were offended" - Such a backhanded apology, you see it a lot from politicians and other insincere self-serving public people.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow. Not good at all. Incredibly disrespectful. Hope he gets fired.

Also, WOW at the detective work. Same guy? If so, what a douche. Glad he's banned either way.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
We need to bring it to @tombramwell (EG EIC) and @rauper's (EG publisher) attention. This really shouldn't have happened. Also, WTF at the poster above?

I don't get it, this could all have been avoided if he had just talked to her and apologized. It's not like comedians aren't allowed to.

Einbroch

Banned
I'm not saying what he did was acceptable, but I think she's overreacting in regards the whole "I want to drop out of this industry" business.

It was a comedian, who is not a part of the industry. And does she really think that this industry is way worse than other entertainment industries?

Sucks, awful, and that's really embarrassing. But aim your anger at the right thing.

So awful, these are the types of actions you cannot just forgive and forget.

Didn't the Killer Instict devs say something equally awful?

I am waiting for the PR Spin on this one. An apology will be good but won't change anything, the damage is done.

I hate to admit it, but when I was a kid I used to refer to transgender people as "it", not because I was trying to degrade them, but because I was honestly confused on the whole issue and did not know the proper pronouns.

That's totally understandable. The difference here being: you then grew up, became an adult and knew better.

zroid

Banned
For me intentions are important .... Was the guy trying to insult / be rude on purpose or was just a misstep ? It counts doesn't it ?

He probably wasn't trying to be disrespectful onstage at a live event, but ignorance isn't any kind of excuse for calling someone an "it". Obviously if he apologizes profusely and begs forgiveness then perhaps we can not consider him a piece of human trash, but till then that's what he is.

legacyzero

Banned
For me intentions are important .... Was the guy trying to insult / be rude on purpose or was just a misstep ? It counts doesn't it ?

EDIT :

read better .... so it was supposed to be a comical moment ? well ... not well thought to say the least.
No.... No it certainly doesn't. How would you feel if I called you "it"? You simple never call anybody that, REGARDLESS of gender.

kadotsu

Banned
I don't know what to say. I sat here for five minutes and can just think of platitudes about her being strong enough to pull through and assuring her that there are gamers out there supporting her.

This is just sad. Screw those individuals.

oti

Banned
I'm not sure the guy can get fired because he most likely isn't working for Microsoft full-time. Publishers often hire "game friendly people" (journalists, comedians) for their stage shows at conventions. He'll hopefully apologize for this though, unacceptable.

I am waiting for the PR Spin on this one. An apology will be good but won't change anything, the damage is done.

I'm not sure about the KI one, but I'm pretty sure that one was blown out of proportion. I think people misinterpreted what the guy said ("just let it happen" = rape joke)

Jesus Christ MS, just fire everyone involved with your PR. They've spent way too much of the past year getting blazed out of their minds.

People blaming Microsoft need to learn to read. There's no virtue in posting as fast as possible without even understanding what you're commenting on.

kiguel182

Ahhh hes a comedian.

It all makes sense now. Was he simply just messing with her and he went a bit too far ?

Being a comedian doesn't mean he can say whatever he wants and even if he thought he was being funny it was still disrespectful to her and he shouldn't get a free pass for it.

It's not like he tweeted something offensive, he humiliated her in front of an audience.

Squire

Banned
People always act like being a comic is a Get Out Of Jail FREE Card/license to be an asshole in public. It's not.

The_Monk

We can't we all get along is something that I still don't understand until this day.

Was this event live anywhere, I mean when Laura went on the Stage? The person who acted like that does not only lack intelligence but lacks respect for others which is a shame and should feel bad about ruining the day for the journalist. I hope things can go better from now on regarding Laura but sometimes, things like this destroys not only the self esteem but also bring the morale down which is something needed to wake up and work every day.

I also don't understand, at all, why someone like that poster called Rashid feels the need to write such unnecessary words. It adds nothing to the discussion and it's not polite at all.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
was he a comedian? MS really has to learn how to hire some talented ones, I thought that guy from The Mask 2 was atrocious enough

LQX

Honest question, how did MS know the persons sex to make the connection of being a transgender?

The Killer Instinct event mostly felt hilariously (darkly) unfortunate, honestly. This is something else entirely.

nib95

Banned
Fuck, that's really terrible. Feel sorry for her and hope this is dealt with swiftly. Hopefully Microsoft sorts her out with some stuff, maybe even a big paycheck, because that kind of public humiliation is not on.

No.... No it certainly doesn't. How would you feel if I called you "it"? You simple never call anybody that, REGARDLESS of gender.

Well if it was me I would probably laugh at his face =) .... but different people ..... different sensibilities and so on.

Honestly it is hard for me to consider this anything more than distasteful (so not such a big deal to me).

We should have been there to assess the mood and the kind of show that was going on. It is hard to judge things like this outside their context. I mean..... often comedians are rude/ politically not correct and so on.....

$h@d0w

Hmm.
Rashid =
Kasim Rashid ‏@kasim_rashid 18h

@FraserMillward A huge apology for toppling over #FraserMilward at the #XboxOne stage at #Eurogamer I shall never appear on any stage again!

ikFitfJhG8ka0.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom