• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgender journalist at EG Expo called "this person" on stage at MS event (See OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ichinii

The humiliation of others is not something to scoff at. Whether she's overreacting or not, is irrelevant. Everyone is entitled to equal and fair treatment. If you're the f-ing host of an event associated with a product as popular as X1, you should know how to properly behave, you should know how to be a fuckin professional, this isn't the Kings of Comedy.

aeolist

Banned
Well if it was me I would probably laugh at his face =) .... but different people ..... different sensibilities and so on.

Honestly it is hard for me to consider this anything more than distasteful (so not such a big deal to me).

We should have been there to asses the mood and the kind of show that was going on. It is hard to judge things like this outside their context. I mean..... often comedians are rude/ politically not correct and so on.....

it's not hard to judge at all if the person involved is transgender and you know anything about that class of people

educate yourself

RMI

Banned
Ahhh hes a comedian.

It all makes sense now. Was he simply just messing with her and he went a bit too far ?

being a comedian doesn't give you a free pass to be an ignorant bigot under the guise of "comedy." Regardless of what his intentions were, his behavior was pretty reprehensible.

Amir0x

Banned
Fucking embarrassing. Members of the game industry, stop embarrassing us. I hope this guy involved gets fired and removed from his position forever.

Pezking

No.... No it certainly doesn't. How would you feel if I called you "it"? You simple never call anybody that, REGARDLESS of gender.

Well, it makes a big difference if some random, serious presenter calls you that, or Triumph the insult-comic dog.

Context is crucial here. Even though it'd be incredibly stupid to hire an insult comic for such an event.

But of course, if someone is seriously upset and hurt about such a comment, you should definitely apologize.

That being said, posting simplistic over-generalisations about "the industry" in response doesn't help either.

Well if it was me I would probably laugh at his face =) .... but different people ..... different sensibilities and so on.

Honestly it is hard for me to consider this anything more than distasteful (so not such a big deal to me).

We should have been there to asses the mood and the kind of show that was going on. It is hard to judge things like this outside their context. I mean..... often comedians are rude/ politically not correct and so on.....

This isn't a fucking comedy show. It is a stage event about video games.

You don't bring someone up on stage and then immediately and unnecessarily go after a potentially very sensitive personal subject to them. It's not the place or the time.

Being blindsided by something like this would be very upsetting to me, no matter the circumstances.

Fucking embarrassing. Members of the game industry, stop embarrassing us. I hope this guy involved gets fired and removed from his position forever.
He's not part of the games industry, and he doesn't have a position to be fired from. Please read before reacting.

aeolist

Banned
Well, it makes a big difference if some random, serious presenter calls you that, or Triumph the insult-comic dog.

Context is crucial here.

But of course, if someone is seriously upset and hurt about such a comment, you should definitely apologize.

That being said, posting simplistic over-generalisations about "the industry" in response doesn't help either.

this is the equivalent of going up to a paraplegic and saying that they're not a human being because they don't have working legs

even if triumph did it it would not be funny at all

Nibiru

Banned
Haha MS are a bunch of clowns that screw up everything. It's pretty remarkable, it's like someone put a hex on them.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Demonise entire industry over the outrageous behaviour of the singular person. Thats why its hard to take social justice movements seriously due to the gigantic exaggerating taking place on the other side.

Anger at this happening aside, no shits going to change if you blow things hugely out of proportion.

I think people absolutely should pile on this guy if he is in fact the guy who is responsible for this. People need to know when they fucked up.

People will rush in and do so when you give them names anyway even if you ask for calm, I'm sure the guys mentions will be off the hook this evening with all kinds of wonderful comments.

That said bullies like this never really quite understand how much their words can hurt. But all rabble rousing will do is make this guy go on the defensive "It was a joke! Not my fault they took it the wrong way!" - ignoring that generally, people do not like to be referred to as "it" or "that thing" and it certainly isn't funny. Just awkward for everyone involved. Doing enough so Microsoft and Eurogamer took action is really enough (and letting Laura know we agree, she shouldn't of been treated like that at all. Nobody should be dehumanised for sake of "comedy")

Sadly it's the end of the weekend so can't really just suspend the guy, but hopefully Microsoft fine him some of the pay (or all of it) for causing brand damage as a result of his thoughtlessness.

The thing is that the comic probably thought gamers would appreciate this type of humour.

On the whole we don't really have the most accepting hearts based on our reputations. So some hateful, unthoughtful "jokes" probably was thought of to be an easy crowd pleaser.

Problem is... reputations are wrong.

entremet

He was a hired hand. A comedian. How is he a member of the gaming industry?

People are still blaming MS for this?

winstano

Context is crucial here. Even though it'd be incredibly stupid to hire an insult comic for such an event.

I've got to say, I saw one of the giveaways on Thursday, and if it's the same guy, he certainly didn't look like a "shock" comic, it's a very family friendly event.

Edit: Watched that video, yep, it's the same guy

JDSN

Banned

Would Triumph introduce a black guy on stage as a "nigger"?

I think you nailed it when showing different sensibilities part, not belonging to group that is systematically mocked might make you think that theres nothing wrong with this or there some context is needed. And the "Political correctness" argument is just some pointless creed that people shout when their ability to be a dick is being rightfully shamed.

Flanimal Lover

Neo Member
I hope this is seen as a "comdian" going way too far and misjudging the situation as opposed to this being seen as a proxy for the gaming industries sentiment towards transgendered people.

People saying "it's not Microsoft's fault" need to understand that Microsoft PR decided to hire this person to represent them, they are responsible, directly or indirectly, for the comments as it was their choice to hire such a person.

Ahhh hes a comedian.

It all makes sense now. Was he simply just messing with her and he went a bit too far ?
That piece of shit called her "It" and even "Thing"
That's not fucking comedy.

There's a difference between being a terrible and tasteless "comedian" and being a good comedian.

Kill yourself.

haha jk im a licensed comedian

Wow, 0 to 100 in one post.

It's really simple! You can make jokes without actively dehumanizing the person on stage with you.

Of course you can. You can also be an asshole.

Larry the Cable Guy or Anthony Jeselnick.

Hell, Louis C.K's bits are incredibly offensive too and he's praised.

Problem is, Microsoft decided to hire a "Character Comedian" for their show. Probably a recipe for disaster in a public event.

I mean I'm not a native english speaker, but even I would have the common sense to at the very least ask someone that I'm not sure how to address about what they prefer.

Damn, did he really say "Thing"?

People saying "it's not Microsoft's fault" need to understand that Microsoft PR decided to hire this person to represent them, they are responsible, directly or indirectly, for the comments as it was their choice to hire such a person.

Oh please, they made an error. Doesn't mean they support the shit this guy pulled. Come on.

potam

Banned
It is kinda surprising that it wasn't just one comment. I would assume that the first time, it was chalked up to a mistake or people mishearing him. But then after the second time, why didn't anyone step in and say, "...and that wraps up that."

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the most sensitive guy about these types of things, but this is ridiculous.

edit: another example of MS hiring the wrong performer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7-yh_sPjPQ

entremet

Incorrect.

Does he have any history of making jokes on such crass taste for example?

Glass Rebel

I actually thought "it" referred to a transgender slur the OP didn't want to put in the OP.

But this might actually be worse. What the fuck.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The thing is that the comic probably thought gamers would appreciate this type of humour.

On the whole we don't really have the most accepting hearts based on our reputations. So some hateful, unthoughtful "jokes" probably was thought of to be an easy crowd pleaser.

Problem is... reputations are wrong.

After looking at the comedian in question's other stuff, I suspect this is probably what happened. It does reflect poorly on the reputation "gamers" as a group have right now.

The reputation is rather wrong, to a degree - but it probably doesn't help that stuff like industry marketing is helping to uphold the stereotypes. Some people hate the term "dudebro" because they think it's wrong, but the way the industry markets much of its product is dudebro as hell. With showers of doritos and gallons of mountain dew on the side. (Maybe it should be "dewbros".)

Omikaru

This makes me so sad. I don't know how anyone could be so disrespectful to another person like that.

And if anyone says, "This is just a joke." Or some similarly constructed argument, I implore you to explain the joke to me. Really, I want to know why it's so funny!

aeolist

Banned
and to everyone saying that microsoft has no responsibility or culpability here they apparently did everything they could to cover for the the guy after it was clear that she was upset by the comments

If that was his typical style of "humor", sure. But that's not the case.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Microsoft can't control what some comedian says on stage.

The should have set ground rules and let the presenter know he was representing Microsoft as part of his job presenting, with clauses in his contract to lose his fee should his act put Microsoft in a bad light. (This is fairly standard in fact.)

Then the staff should have apologized and dealt with the aftermath much better than they did. ("I am sorry you were upset" is not an apology).

Hopefully they will address this with a more fitting apology now that it's public.

wotta

I think a lot of people are missing the point. It doesn't matter who he works for, this shouldn't have happened but it did.

Why is everyone worried whether he is an MS employee for the day or not? Does it matter or are fanboys feeling the need to attack/defend MS?

it's not hard to judge at all if the person involved is transgender and you know anything about that class of people

educate yourself

mmm ok....

This isn't a fucking comedy show. It is a stage event about video games.

You don't bring someone up on stage and then immediately and unnecessarily go after a potentially very sensitive personal subject to them. It's not the place or the time.

Being blindsided by something like this would be very upsetting to me, no matter the circumstances.

What is wrong in having a comedian on stage ? Comedians sometimes they do exaggerate, go after weak points to make the audience laugh etc etc..... but obviously it is sometime tricky to not become distasteful .

In this case he went too far .... that's it. End of the story. No need to ask for the head of the guy in my opinion.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I'm not saying what he did was acceptable, but I think she's overreacting in regards the whole "I want to drop out of this industry" business.

It was a comedian, who is not a part of the industry. And does she really think that this industry is way worse than other entertainment industries?

Sucks, awful, and that's really embarrassing. But aim your anger at the right thing.

I guess you edited out the part where you compared making fun of a transgendered person to making fun of your birthmark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom