• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgender journalist at EG Expo called "this person" on stage at MS event (See OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky

Banned
People try to find any little thing to bash MS.

they hired him. It's their fault. It's not even about video games at this point: You're insulting, ridiculing, and undermining someone in /public./ Get past video games and look at the larger picture.

Wow - what an over reaction - its as if allot of people never been out with their mates in the pub on a Friday night.

I looked at the link https://twitter.com/laurakbuzz, and quite frankly the person has high cheekbones, an adam's apple and therefore was born and is a male, and looks male.

So I don't get the confusion its pretty obvious, but I guess its hard being Politically Correct gone mad nowadays.

Good headline clicker though

Serra

lmao at people blaming MS for this. How many of the people involved in this actually work for microsoft? I bet every person on the floor just works for a marketing firm.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

Roto13

Wow - what an over reaction - its as if allot of people never been out with their mates in the pub on a Friday night.

I looked at the link https://twitter.com/laurakbuzz, and quite frankly the person has high cheekbones, an adam's apple and therefore was born and is a male, and looks male.

So I don't get the confusion its pretty obvious, but I guess its hard being Politically Correct gone mad nowadays.

Calling someone the pronoun of the gender they identify as is not "political correctness" it's "not being a fucking dickhole"

EDIT: Man, the mods are pickin' this thread clean to avoid derailment.

You can forgive the "he" part as an honest mistake, but what about "it"? I don't think that's acceptable. Still need more info. Video of the incident would be helpful, but it doesn't seem to be out there.

they hired him. It's their fault. It's not even about video games at this point: You're insulting, ridiculing, and undermining someone in /public./ Get past video games and look at the larger picture.

You can't predict exactly how a person is. How would they know he would say that when hiring him.

aeolist

Banned
lmao at people blaming MS for this. How many of the people involved in this actually work for microsoft? I bet every person on the floor just works for a marketing firm.

so ms could hire whoever they want for events and never be responsible for their actions?

they should get some klan members next time and really see how far they can take this

Roto13

"Working for Microsoft's marketing" = "Working for Microsoft"

Dont know how her on-stage reaction is relevant at all.

C'mon now.. of course it is. You know how comedians are. They usually talk with the people they get on stage. If they had something like a dialogue going on "Hey what's your name?" "Laura" "Wooah. That's a deep voice" "Yeah I'm transgender" "Ah ok. What should I say then? He, she, it?" "Hahaha, whatever you like!" "Okay "it" it is!" Hardy har har Laura not visibly offended. "Okay then we need another real woman on stage" Hardy har har.

Yes since Laura seems quite upset about these we can assume it didn't go that way. But reaction and interaction is definitely relevant.

alan666

Banned
MS will be getting the damage control machine out again, this time there is nothing they can do, what did the guy think he was playing at, nobody calls someone else (another person) 'it'.

Laura is obviously a female/womans name, she was not born a female but she has chosen to change her gender & that should be respected regardless of personal views on transgender people, legally Laura is a now a woman/female.

MS & the host, the host especially need to look at themselves, what has happened & been said is completely unacceptable as far as i am concerned.

The_Monk

My good people, please avoiding quoting an entire post if said post is only focusing on negative things and will probably be erased/removed. It does not add nothing to the discussion and can be distracting to others.

There's all kind of people, I know, but some only have bad things to say and those, shall never be highlighted in my humble opinion.

A ridiculous situation, considering how open and accepting MS is with regards to the LGBT community. Certainly this dickbag isn't representative of their policies. to my knowledge, If there is one ing you probably cannot criticize them for, it's being exclusionary of gay and transgender community.

Heh. This came to mind too:
So, is your argument that this did not happen because there was a separate event celebrating LBGT people?

I am confused what the point is here.

aeolist

Banned
DerZuhälter;84015307 said:
C'mon now.. of course it is. You know how comedians are. They usually talk with the people they get on stage. If they had something like a dialogue going on "Hey what's your name?" "Laura" "Wooah. That's a deep voice" "Yeah I'm transgender" "Ah ok. What should I say then? He, she, it?" "Hahaha, whatever you like!" "Okay "it" it is!" Hardy har har Laura not visibly offended. "Okay then we need another real woman on stage" Hardy har har.

Yes since Laura seems quite upset about these we can assume it didn't go that way. But reaction and interaction is definitely relevant.

in what world do you live that you think a transgender person would react this way?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
the staff refused to apologize for his actions or give her his full name

they covered for him, they're responsible

As long as the company makes a forthright apology and takes steps to implement and educate it's employees/contractors on discrimination there is no legitimate reason the persons name needs to be publicly released. Vigilantism is never an acceptable action.

Whools

What a shitty thing to say, doesn't even come close to being comedic. What gutter did Microsoft drag him out of? hopefully they take action of some sort.

Chatin

A misplaced 'he' wouldn't have been a big deal, but I don't understand how someone could even arrive at describing someone as "it".

If it's Microsoft's fault, then you may as well move our into the woods in Minnesota and become self-sufficient, because there isn't a multi-billion dollar company in the world that hasn't unknowingly hired people that are hateful or don't think before acting. Boycott everything and live in a hand-built cabin.

JDSN

Banned
DerZuhälter;84015307 said:

I honestly cannot see how you think the situation you described is benign. Again, would you start make racist jokes about a stranger publicly on his face?

aeolist

Banned
As long as the company makes a forthright apology and takes steps to implement and educate it's employees/contractors on discrimination there is no legitimate reason the persons name needs to be publicly released. Vigilantism is never an acceptable action.

it's vigilantism if she wants to know the name of the shithead who ruined her day and get a personal apology?

Metallix87

I'd like to play Devil's Advocate for a second. While I can understand the anger from people here, I do tend to agree with the old George Carlin school of thought that anything can be made a joke of / made fun of by a comedian. Nothing should be off limits.

That being said, shame on the dude for carrying it on for so long, and for not having the balls to come out and apologize to her in person. I'm certain he must have been made aware that she was requesting to speak with him, and clearly he realized he fucked up. If anything, though, we can take some comfort in the fact that by refusing to handle the situation, he's likely hurting his own career even more than he already did.

So, is your argument that this did not happen because there was a separate event celebrating LBGT people?

I am confused what the point is here.

His argument is basically that this is not how Microsoft does business, at all. It's the actions of one person, who they hired to MC their event.

In all likelihood, dude is going to get planted by them and never hired again, and that'll be that. Focus on him, not them, I believe is the point.

Joni

A lot of staff at Euro Expo are from third party PR teams. Even the staff she spoke to were probably not directly employed to Microsoft. All the Nintendo staff my friend spoke to were under employment to a third party company. It's common place.
Most of the people you see at events with more than 5 employees are third party people. There will however always be an actual employee present to lead it.

Here's a brief timeline of how anti-LGBT Microsoft is, as everyone here seems to know, lol

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/diversity/programs/ergen/gleamTimeline.aspx

Some excerpts

Microsoft is among the first companies to expand its nondiscrimination policy to include sexual orientation.

GLEAM is instrumental in securing domestic partner benefits for GLBT employees. Microsoft was one of the first Fortune 500 companies to offer this benefit.

Microsoft scores 100 on the HRC Corporate Equality Index rating for the sixth year.
Microsoft is listed in the HRC 2010 Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality.

Microsoft scores 100 on the HRC Corporate Equality Index rating for the eighth year.

---

MS really hates those gays.

aeolist

Banned
If it's Microsoft's fault, then you may as well move our into the woods in Minnesota and become self-sufficient, because there isn't a multi-billion dollar company in the world that hasn't unknowingly hired people that are hateful or don't think before acting. Boycott everything and live in a hand-built cabin.

nobody is calling for bill gates's head on a pike or the utter annihilation of redmond.

microsoft is responsible, that's indisputable. how they handle it from here is the important part.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Please don't blame the industry for one idiot's tactess and hurtful remarks, its like calling out GAF as a whole for Mr (no longer with us) post #3's comments.

Place the blame where it belongs, on the individual.

I'd like to play Devil's Advocate for a second. While I can understand the anger from people here, I do tend to agree with the old George Carlin school of thought that anything can be made a joke of / made fun of by a comedian. Nothing should be off limits.

Playing Devil's Advocate almost immediately means you're going to be a dick. Not so here, but come on. That's played out.

And it's not a comedy show, it's a stage event for a video game console. George Carlin wouldn't pull this shit if he was MCing here.

No, dude. My assertion is that it is fallacious to consider this representative of Microsoft's policy as a whole, as they have been pretty progressive in terms of the LGBT community.

Thanks for quoting, though! ;)

I don't think any company Microsoft's size would ever have a "Fuck this type of person in particular" official policy. It would be more noteworthy if that actually were the policy.

That their official policy differs from what happened with no word since is the story, not that they have done things that may mitigate this action in the past.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Good lord. Absolutely awful.

Flanimal Lover

Neo Member
Here's a brief timeline of how anti-LGBT Microsoft is, just so everyone knows:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/diversity/programs/ergen/gleamTimeline.aspx

Some excerpts

Microsoft is among the first companies to expand its nondiscrimination policy to include sexual orientation.

GLEAM is instrumental in securing domestic partner benefits for GLBT employees. Microsoft was one of the first Fortune 500 companies to offer this benefit.

Microsoft scores 100 on the HRC Corporate Equality Index rating for the sixth year.
Microsoft is listed in the HRC 2010 Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality.

Microsoft scores 100 on the HRC Corporate Equality Index rating for the eighth year.

Yeah, well , I'm sorry but can this be removed. It doesn't fit in with the whole we hate Microsoft for being bigoted pigs mantra we got going on in this thread.

Try harder next time with your personal offense:

If an employee at McDonald's calls me overweight, did McDonald's offend me, or did the employee offend me?

Granted, I admitted MS is wrong for not ensuring that the woman is apologized to, but in what alternate reality is Microsoft disgusting for this incident? You've misplaced some of the blame.

UNCMark

Banned
I don't think any company Microsoft's size would ever have a "Fuck this type of person in particular" official policy. It would be more noteworthy if that actually were the policy.

That their official policy differs from what happened with no word since is the story, not that they have done things that may mitigate this action in the past.

Have you met Chick Fil A? There's 3 types of companies. Companies that actively alienate groups, companies that actively work to be inclusive to all (Microsoft), and companies that dont actively do anything and are fine doing as little as possible. Microsoft is one of the great ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom