• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transparent frogs, tiny geckos and snail-sucking snakes (new species!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reza_Neko

Whoa. Awesome pics and info OP! Thanks for sharing it:D I'm going to Ecuador to study spanish more in-depth (it's my major) in the fall semester. It will be awesome if I come across any of these (especially the transparent frog).

Calidor

trinest said:
cerbalus660.jpg

Why didn't you say anything about him? Hes new too!

Skulltula.jpg

nocode said:
2010 and we still know relatively little about the planet we live on. Science is awesome.
Thats why I still believe that theres SOMETHING that looks and acts like a Dragon on this planet SOMEWHERE!

Gaborn

ssolitare said:
The eyelash viper, that thing sounds dangerous as fuck.

What does it do, strike the eyes of its enemy at a blinding speed?

PRETTY sure it refers to the size of the viper rather than it's target :lol

Al-ibn Kermit said:
I'm pretty sure that the transparent frog aren't a new discovery. Lungless amphibians that breathe through their skin have also been known about for a while.

You're right on both counts in terms of genus, but not necessarily species.

Nista

Gaborn said:
PRETTY sure it refers to the size of the viper rather than it's target :lol

Think the name stuck due to the upwardly jutting scales above the eyes on those vipers. Making them look like they have "eyelashes".

These pics are awesome, thanks for posting them. I have a soft spot for cute amphibians and reptiles. :)

Rapstah

I was thinking about photoshopping the mini salamander and pencil to be behind a burning city, miles high, with people running from them, but all pictures of burning cities I could find were those of actual real-life catastrophies with dead people, so it didn't feel good doing it. :(

Stuck

Reza_Neko said:
Whoa. Awesome pics and info OP! Thanks for sharing it:D I'm going to Ecuador to study spanish more in-depth (it's my major) in the fall semester. It will be awesome if I come across any of these (especially the transparent frog).

Different country, but I came across one of those glass frogs while studying tropical bio in Costa Rica. Just be prepared to do a lot of night hikes out in the field if you want to find some sweet amphibians...I wouldn't count on any jumping into a classroom.

On a related note, I also caught a red-eyed tree frog (see below), which aren't quite as cool as glass frogs, but still pretty crazy looking. Ok, I'm done being a nerd now.

180px-Wikipedia_maki.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom