• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Traveling to Tokyo...-age (two week trip) - tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think I'll want/need some serious help planning my trip. Currently putting together a plan of things to do & get ready.
Using all the different GAF threads already made (found with search) to gather stuff.

Heading in July (yes, rainy season / super hot, but the only time that suits).

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
I am thinking about heading to Japan for Fuji Rock Festival this July. Anybody ever been? What is the camping situation like?

I was thinking about heading over to Tokyo for ~10 days (9 nights) in total.

I'm not sure how to plan it out, though. I figure I will be camping at Fuji from Thursday July 26 until Monday July 30 (given what I have read about crowds and trains). I don't know where the festival should fit in on my itinerary.

Really, I don't know how to pack. I don't want to take a shit ton of clothes with me to Fuji, since I'll be slumming it in a tent the whole time. That said, I want to have a decent amount of clothes and amenities for the other five nights that I will be in country. What I was thinking was to get a hotel for the entire time I am there (all 9 nights) and have Fuji fall in the middle of my stay. I'll check out Tokyo for a few days, hit up Fuji and leave my clothes (sans a tent & backpack setup) in the hotel, then come back to Tokyo for another couple of days after the event. The only downside to this is that it is like an extra $400 for a hotel that I am not even staying in for four nights.

Any suggestions?

leave my clothes (sans a tent & backpack setup) in the hotel, then come back to Tokyo for another couple of days after the event. The only downside to this is that it is like an extra $400 for a hotel that I am not even staying in for four nights.

Many hotels allow you to store bags there as long as you'll be staying again during the trip. My wife and I left a lot of stuff at our hotel in Tokyo while we headed down to Kyoto and Hiroshima.

Damaged

Many hotels allow you to store bags there as long as you'll be staying again during the trip. My wife and I left a lot of stuff at our hotel in Tokyo while we headed down to Kyoto and Hiroshima.

This, did exactly that last year on my honeymoon. I would double check that your hotel is cool with it first though.

Would love to do fujirock so you will have to post your impressions / pictures when you have been :)

Steelrain

I was supposed to go to fujirock this year :(

Plans fell through so i'm leaving Tokyo for a few days and going to check out Bangkok.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Thought i'll mention it here, if you plan to see a Yomiuri Giants baseball game in tokyo use this site to get the tickets: http://www.e-tix.jp/ticket_giants/en/ticket_pc_en.php

Its cheaper than the 2 most popular google search results websites. And you can print the tickets at home. I wish I found it earlier.

Ah, you probably have a lot of other options if you can read japanese, but for english speakers there isnt much.

Llyranor

If you have the time, I absolutely recommend Kayabukiya Tavern, which is a short train ride (then cab) north of Tokyo. It has monkey waiters! They'll get warm cloths for you to wash your hands with. They'll sit on your head while you tip them with soybeans. They'll knock over your orange onto the table and lick it. It's awesome!

Food is also really good and pretty cheap considering the entertainment.

If you have the time, I absolutely recommend Kayabukiya Tavern, which is a short train ride (then cab) north of Tokyo. It has monkey waiters! They'll get warm cloths for you to wash your hands with. They'll sit on your head while you tip them with soybeans. They'll knock over your orange onto the table and lick it. It's awesome!

Food is also really good and pretty cheap considering the entertainment.
Oh wow, sounds like something great to do on Saturday or Sunday night.
Thanks!

Ranvier

I'm heading over to Japan for 6 days, aug 1st to 7th. While I'm not trying to plan everyday to the T I do kinda want a loose plan. So far we got the basics down, imperial palace, fish market, shibuya. I'm reading through this very thread right now to get a better idea of what to do in Tokyo so sorry if the questions I ask have already been answered. I just wanted to get then out of the way quick.

We've already booked a place to stay in Tokyo for all 6 nights so I was wondering if there are any good day trippable places? Can Kyoto, or mt Fuji be done in a day trip? Are there any must see things outside of toyko that can be done by just training there in the morning and training back at night?

And if there are any gaffers in Tokyo during this time I'd be happy to meet up and be shown around. Just let me know.

matt360

I'm heading over to Japan for 6 days, aug 1st to 7th. While I'm not trying to plan everyday to the T I do kinda want a loose plan. So far we got the basics down, imperial palace, fish market, shibuya. I'm reading through this very thread right now to get a better idea of what to do in Tokyo so sorry if the questions I ask have already been answered. I just wanted to get then out of the way quick.

We've already booked a place to stay in Tokyo for all 6 nights so I was wondering if there are any good day trippable places? Can Kyoto, or mt Fuji be done in a day trip? Are there any must see things outside of toyko that can be done by just training there in the morning and training back at night?

And if there are any gaffers in Tokyo during this time I'd be happy to meet up and be shown around. Just let me know.

You won't actually be able to climb Fuji as part of a day trip, but you could go there and see it. Maybe have a picnic or something. Kyoto is also possible, although you will be spending a good portion of your day on the shinkansen. Will you be using a JR Pass? If so, then you won't be able to use the Hikari which means it will take even longer than usual.

I would just go to Nikko instead of Kyoto. It's a beautiful place with some great temples, shrines, waterfalls and other cool stuff. Google for some pics and you'll get a good idea.

Also, you'll be coming during the hottest time of the year. It will be insanely hot and humid, and Tokyo will be in full eco-mode, meaning most buildings will be cheap-asses when it comes to using air conditioning. I recommend bringing a small towel with you, maybe getting some of those menthol face wipes from the convenience stores, and packing lots of extra undershirts and underpants.

Jabo

Tokyo Skytree and Tokyo dome are pretty neat places, there's a nice shopping mall right beside Tokyo dome and some attractions. If you're heading to mt fuji make sure you go to FujiQ http://www.fujiq.jp/en/ Best fun I've ever had but the lines are 3 hours for every roller coaster during busy days. You can get there by bus and it will take around 70 minutes (6500 yen if I remember right) price includes bus ride + park tickets which are all you can play tickcet or w/e its called (if you can LOL).

I'd love to hang out and show you guys around but I'm going back home in a week for a month :(

I'm planning to visit Tokio for the first time next year (staying 2-3 weeks). Any advice when i should go? What things are a must see? I allready planned trips to Mount Fuji and Kamakura.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I'll be travelling to Japan with my wife for the first time in a few weeks. We plan to split the trip between Tokyo and Kyoto. We already have our Ghibli Museum tickets booked.

Can't wait!

wowzors

Any hints on decent priced hotels? Staying in tokyo/japan from DEC 14 to Jan 3rd. Planning on picking up a Jr pass or DEC 24th to 31st.

matt360

Any hints on decent priced hotels? Staying in tokyo/japan from DEC 14 to Jan 3rd. Planning on picking up a Jr pass or DEC 24th to 31st.

What's your price range? And will you basically just be using the hotel as a place to sleep, or are you looking for a nice place with a lounge, bar, and all that stuff?

If you're just looking for a bed, I recommend any of the Sakura Hotels. I stayed at the one in Hatagaya when I ran the Tokyo Marathon a couple years ago. Just one stop away from Shinjuku Station, and it was only about $30-$40 a night. Staff was friendly, rooms were adequate, and there was a 24-hour restaurant/cafe attached to the place.

isny

napkin dispenser
What's your price range? And will you basically just be using the hotel as a place to sleep, or are you looking for a nice place with a lounge, bar, and all that stuff?

If you're just looking for a bed, I recommend any of the Sakura Hotels. I stayed at the one in Hatagaya when I ran the Tokyo Marathon a couple years ago. Just one stop away from Shinjuku Station, and it was only about $30-$40 a night. Staff was friendly, rooms were adequate, and there was a 24-hour restaurant/cafe attached to the place.

Very hard to get into these without lots of notice.

I am going to Tokyo for the first time in a few weeks. While I am there I was thinking about buying a Japanese Xbox if they are cheap enough. What is the best way to get something like this back to the States? I figured taking it on the plane would be a hassle, so would it be very expensive to just ship it?

matt360

I am going to Tokyo for the first time in a few weeks. While I am there I was thinking about buying a Japanese Xbox if they are cheap enough. What is the best way to get something like this back to the States? I figured taking it on the plane would be a hassle, so would it be very expensive to just ship it?

Are you talking about an original Japanese Xbox or a Japanese Xbox 360? If you get a slim model 360 you should just put it in your suitcase and secure it well. I've also traveled back and forth with a launch model 360 in my suitcase and never had any trouble.

If you are dead set on shipping then you can check out the Japan Postal Service website in English.

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/index_en.html

It looks like sending something up to 4kg will cost around 6,800 yen. Not too bad I guess, about the cost of a game over here.

Are you talking about an original Japanese Xbox or a Japanese Xbox 360? If you get a slim model 360 you should just put it in your suitcase and secure it well. I've also traveled back and forth with a launch model 360 in my suitcase and never had any trouble.

The original Xbox. I am willing to buy one if I can find Metal Wolf Chaos and Double S.T.E.A.L 2 for reasonable prices. The prior is pretty much my most wanted game, period. Thanks for the link, it's extremely helpful.

Jeramii

Banned
Sorry to resurrect a thread, I don't want to make a new one. I'm hoping someone knows because I can't seem to find a solid answer online. I'm traveling to Korea and Japan this month. I've been to Japan before.

But I suffer allergies and want to take Claritin D with me. I didn't know when I went last time that pseudoephedrine is illegal in Japan which is an ingredient in Claritin D. No one stopped me at all.

But now that I'm aware it's illegal I'm nervous to take my medicine with me. When looking at the embassy website I found that you can take medicine with you as long as it's less than a 2 month supply. But it doesn't specify if Claritin D is off limits.

Does anyone know the specifics? Chances are I'll go without being bothered, but if they find it. I figure they would just throw it away, but I read in a circumstance that a guy who brought a nasal spray that was illegal was detained for a month. :\

anyway. I hope someone can help me get more info. I'm considering calling the embassy because I don't want to take any risks.

*edit*
called the embassy. got connected to another office and they are away on lunch. gotta rince and repeat again in a little while. :\ hopefully i'll get through to someone before my trip.

Hachimaki

I'll be traveling to Japan in March and staying until May. I've been to Japan a few times before and I've never been able to attend a baseball game.

Does anyone have experience with this? What are the chances of getting tickets at the stadium? Also how much am I looking to spend? Not sure which stadium but I'd like to visit them all anyway.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I'll be traveling to Japan in March and staying until May. I've been to Japan a few times before and I've never been able to attend a baseball game.

Does anyone have experience with this? What are the chances of getting tickets at the stadium? Also how much am I looking to spend? Not sure which stadium but I'd like to visit them all anyway.

It isn't so expensive by Japanese standards but if you are on a travel budget at least plan to spend 100 to 150 (US) depending on the exchange rate at that time

http://www.japanball.com/schedule_japan_baseball_april.htm

matt360

It isn't so expensive by Japanese standards but if you are on a travel budget at least plan to spend 100 to 150 (US) depending on the exchange rate at that time

http://www.japanball.com/schedule_japan_baseball_april.htm

100 bucks?! It's like 2000 yen for cheap Hiroshima Carp tickets. Granted they are terrible, but we have a brand new stadium and tickets are still very reasonable. For 5000 yen you can get all-you-can-drink seats. Are other team's games really so expensive?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
100 bucks?! It's like 2000 yen for cheap Hiroshima Carp tickets. Granted they are terrible, but we have a brand new stadium and tickets are still very reasonable. For 5000 yen you can get all-you-can-drink seats. Are other team's games really so expensive?

5000 yen is how much in dollars right now? about 57$ which leaves you with 43$ To get some food or whatever you need...

matt360

Yeah, but that's only if you get those all-you-can-drink tickets. For me, 5000 yen for tix, a couple beers and maybe a snack is more than enough. But again, I can only speak for Hiroshima. Other, more popular team's games could very well be more expensive.

Hachimaki

Thanks for the information. The prices are what I was expecting though I'm reading that some stadiums allow you to bring outside drinks/food and some don't.

Another question I have is the best way to deal with all the coins. Right now I have a separate coin pouch, but is it worth having all the 1 and 5 yen coins or would it best to find a change machine or bank in Japan?

matt360

Thanks for the information. The prices are what I was expecting though I'm reading that some stadiums allow you to bring outside drinks/food and some don't.

Another question I have is the best way to deal with all the coins. Right now I have a separate coin pouch, but is it worth having all the 1 and 5 yen coins or would it best to find a change machine or bank in Japan?

Sorry, I overlooked your other question about getting tickets at the stadium. For Hiroshima, that shouldn't be a problem. If they are playing a popular team like the Giants or Tigers it might be tough to get good tickets, but you should be able to find something.

And I do recommend checking out the new stadium in Hiroshima. It's brand new, it's right next to the shinkansen track so you can see the trains racing by, and from what I understand they have more food/snack options than any other stadium in Japan. A friend of mine who studied sports management back in Florida was actually sent to Hiroshima to study the new stadium's awesomeness.

As for coins, I just keep all of mine together. While you can't use 1 and 5 yen coins in most machines, I find that I am able to get rid of my smaller coins fairly quickly.

Hachimaki

Hey everyone.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience going to a Sumo tournament?

Luckily there is one in Osaka happening in March. I'm not looking to spend too much so I was planning on going the day of and buying a general admission ticket. I was thinking about making a day of it and watch most of the matches. Will it be ok going the day of the tournament to get tickets?
I've been reading it's easier to go on a weekday since tickets don't sell out as fast compared to weekends.

I'm getting all my info here: http://sumo.pia.jp/en/sumo03.jsp

Anyone who has had experience care to weigh their opinion on the subject? Would it be worth upgrading to better seats?

jae

I'm playing on staying for a month this summer, and am looking into some of the different sharehouse and short term apartment options.

I've been looking here: http://www.tokyocityapartments.net/
But mainly because they are the first result on Google. Their prices seem fair but the hidden utility cost makes me wary.

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations? I really just need a bed, internet, and a shower.

Orgen

So is this the official Japan travel thread? I hope so!

I'm traveling to Japan for two weeks next month (24th March). I'll be in Tokyo 5 days, Kyoto 5 days, Takayama 2 days and Kanazawa 2 days. My friend will arrange Kyoto and Kanazawa, I have to arrange the Tokyo and Takayama days so I need advice:

What weather can we expect? Will it be when the sakura blossom? (End March - beginning April) Where can we see it?

What's the best located hotel?

http://www.horidomevilla.jp/e/guide.html
http://www.hotelvilla.jp/e/guide.html

Any apps (iOS) to learn basic Japanese, for the subway/trains (offline and in English would be better) or for something useful?

What are the places we need to visit from Tokyo? (1-day trips)

How is the nightlife? And the best places to eat? (authentic better than fancy)

Could we make it with a 7day JRP or we'll need a 14day JPR?

I'll be reading this thread and keep asking questions so any advice/recommendation/answer will be very welcome :D

Thanks in advance!

So is this the official Japan travel thread? I hope so!

I'm traveling to Japan for two weeks next month (24th March). I'll be in Tokyo 5 days, Kyoto 5 days, Takayama 2 days and Kanazawa 2 days. My friend will arrange Kyoto and Kanazawa, I have to arrange the Tokyo and Takayama days so I need advice:

What weather can we expect? Will it be when the sakura blossom? (End March - beginning April) Where can we see it?

What's the best located hotel?

http://www.horidomevilla.jp/e/guide.html
http://www.hotelvilla.jp/e/guide.html

Any apps (iOS) to learn basic Japanese, for the subway/trains (offline and in English would be better) or for something useful?

What are the places we need to visit from Tokyo? (1-day trips)

How is the nightlife? And the best places to eat? (authentic better than fancy)

Could we make it with a 7day JRP or we'll need a 14day JPR?

I'll be reading this thread and keep asking questions so any advice/recommendation/answer will be very welcome :D

Thanks in advance!

First off, I'm going to assume your route is Tokyo->Takayama->Kanazawa->Kyoto since that makes the most sense logistically. If you're going to be coming back to Tokyo to flight out, then you'll have the advantage of being able to cover time periods in Tokyo, because right now the sakura forecast is only slightly earlier than typical years, which means you guys are going to be a little early for peak bloom. This can change rapidly however, and you're going to be there long enough and across a large enough geographic area that you will still likely be "cherry blossom'ed out" by the end of your trip anyway.

Use this page for the updated sakura forecast for the entire country. Additionally, Japan-Guide itself and WikiTravel make the two absolute best/essential sources for Japan travel IMO. Tripadvisor may be a good resource as well. It wasn't particularly helpful for me when I went in 2010 however.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2011.html

Weather will be a little on the cool side. Dress in layers and you'll be just fine. There will likely be a chance of snow in Takayama.

There will be shortages of sites to view the sakuras at where you are going. On the Japan-Guide sakura forecast page, clicking each city will give you a listing of all the popular viewing spots. One thing to consider is that you may be in Japan way too early for any significant blooming in Kanazawa. Check out the previous year Kanazawa sakura reports on Japan-Guide and elsewhere to get an idea of what it's like on the days you may be there. Kanazawa's Kenroku-en has some of the best sakura viewing in the entire country, but if the timing won't work for you then I'd strongly consider possibly dumping Kanazawa altogether; it's not an easy city to get to and from, and outside of the gardens it may not offer enough to you and your friend to be worth the hassle to get there with your itinerary if the sakuras aren't significantly blossoming. Hopefully your trip plans are flexible enough that you can make last minute revisions, because weather can change things.

For hotels, in Tokyo I would recommend the Ueno area. It's a fairly cheap area, has a very good JR station, and Ueno Park is one of the best sakura viewing spots in Tokyo. Takayama is small enough where location isn't as important, but since you're going to be there 2 days I'd splurge a little on the hotel since that may be one of the cooler moments of your time there. I stayed here, but it looks like the rates have gone up a little despite the fact that the Yen appears to have come back to the rate I was paying during my trip. But you can't beat having an open-air onsen at the top of a hotel on a cold night. One of the highlights of my trip.

http://www.japanican.com/hotels/shisetsudetail.aspx?st=5475041

I used Japanican.com for almost all of my hotel bookings I believe.

Personally, I'd forego any translation apps for use once you're there. The one time I tried to use a translation app to translate "bus," it brought up so many possible uses of the word, it was useless. Kanazawa is the only place you're going that you may run into language issues. Studying up beforehand on some basic words and phrases certainly wouldn't hurt though, unfortunately I can't make any personal recommendations.

Use the iOS app AllSubways for subway maps, but in 2010 there wasn't a good offline train timetable app, and there doesn't appear to be any improvements in that regard. Hyperdia.com is the best site for rail transit. Their site claims they have an Android app, but I don't thinks it's offline. International roaming data plans have dropped so much in price in recent years, I would highly recommend buying one through your provider assuming you have a global iPhone. It's great for getting out of jams. In 2010 I managed to make due on 55MB of data for 3 weeks; now that same plan through my provider costs the same and now includes 200MB of data. Don't count on public WiFi anywhere in Japan.

Japanican.com and Wikitravel both list day trips under their respective city pages. This thread covers them as well.

Nightlife in Tokyo is great. Nightlife in Kyoto is pretty non-existant if you're looking for the club scene, but Osaka is a quick train ride away and has the best nightlife in Japan. My hotels in Osaka/Kyoto had free magazines called Kansai Scene that covered that kind of thing, and appeared aimed at westerners. Their site appears to be kansaiscene.com.

If your route is the route I anticipated above, you're only going to be taking 2 lengthy shinkansen rides (Kanazawa to Kyoto, and Kyoto back to Tokyo), so you may not even save money with a 7-day pass. The general rule-of-thumb is that a weeks worth of the pass cost is as much as the cost of a single trip between cities like Hiroshima and Kyoto, and Tokyo and Kyoto. A 7-day pass may be worthwhile to activate in the middle of your trip to include both of those bullet train rides. Use hyperdia.com right now to plan out all of your trips to get a ballpark of the cost, and then plan it out again with the JR pass covering the parts you may intend to use it on.

Hey Japan-GAF!
I'm going to Japan for a class trip later this month and would like to ask for some general advice. Since it's for college, our itinerary is basically mapped out by our teacher, but I'd like to make the most out of the places we're visiting, since I know literally nothing about Tokyo.

Some places we're going to:
Kamakura
The Mitsukoshi Department Store
Ginza
Harajuku
Shinjuku
Asakusa
Shibuya

The rest of the trip is museums, more sight-seeing, and our research projects.

Are there any must see/buy things here?
As far as shopping goes, I'd like to pick up some manga/anime/video game paraphernalia as well as random cute/quirky japanese stuff. Any affordable clothes stores(women's fashion) would be nice as well.

Budget is another thing I'm worried about. My teacher has been very tight-lipped about the money situation, but I know our hotel provides breakfast so I only need to pay for lunch and dinner. What's a good amount(in dollars) for food/general spending money? I will probably cheap out on the food so I can spend more on myself.

Any and all answers are greatly appreciated!!!

Llyranor

As far as shopping goes, I'd like to pick up some manga/anime/video game paraphernalia as well as random cute/quirky japanese stuff.
You probably want to drop by Akihabara for shopping, then.

Food can be pretty expensive, or it can be relatively cheap, depending on your budget. Anywhere from 300 to 5000+ yen per meal, really. You can go for a cheap ramen place or get a bento box for about 300-1000, maybe. Sushi is variable - I'd say maybe 1500-5000 depending on the place and the quantity. I think I was able to get some yummy Wagyu beef near Akihabara for about 3000, IIRC.

Biff

Alright, so, accommodations: I am completely lost when it comes to finding a good deal on a place to stay. I will be traveling with my girlfriend for 10 days in July. Our initial plan was to stay in Tokyo, simply because I have no idea what I'm doing.

With that said, can someone who does/did know what they are/were doing give me some advice? :p

- Should we stay in Tokyo if we're going to be spending most of our time in Tokyo? Or is there a much cheaper district we could stay in, in exchange for a short train/subway ride?
- If I should indeed stay in Tokyo, what's the cheapest way to do so that still offers privacy? (In other words, what's the cheapest way to stay in Tokyo that doesn't involve sharing bathrooms in a hostel?)

Thank you kindly :)

Zoe

We normally stay at Comfort Hotel in Yokohama. It's cheaper and newer than some of the Tokyo locations. It does take around an hour to get into Tokyo though.

maomaoIYP

Alright, so, accommodations: I am completely lost when it comes to finding a good deal on a place to stay. I will be traveling with my girlfriend for 10 days in July. Our initial plan was to stay in Tokyo, simply because I have no idea what I'm doing.

With that said, can someone who does/did know what they are/were doing give me some advice? :p

- Should we stay in Tokyo if we're going to be spending most of our time in Tokyo? Or is there a much cheaper district we could stay in, in exchange for a short train/subway ride?
- If I should indeed stay in Tokyo, what's the cheapest way to do so that still offers privacy? (In other words, what's the cheapest way to stay in Tokyo that doesn't involve sharing bathrooms in a hostel?)

Thank you kindly :)

I stayed in a small hotel in Ueno. 5 minutes away from the Ueno train station and super convenient for catching the Keisei skyliner to Narita airport.

Biff

Bump for a new question!

So I have the plane tickets booked. Will be landing at Narita 3:55pm local time on Monday July 15th. I have just found out that July 15th also happens to be the national public holiday "Ocean Day".

I have tried Googling but cannot find the answer: Is anything closed on Ocean Day? If it's anything like public holidays in Canada, I'm assuming that all the banks and government buildings will be closed.... Is this correct? Anything else I should be aware of that will cause trouble for my arrival?

I stayed in a small hotel in Ueno. 5 minutes away from the Ueno train station and super convenient for catching the Keisei skyliner to Narita airport.

I'll check that out, thanks!

Just rented an apartment in Setagaya for this coming April. I've been to Shimokitazawa before and love it, but never Setagaya. Anything worth checking out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom