• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trials Evolution |OT| ROCK'N'ROLL TRIALS STYLE BABY

Daigoro

this DLC is great as expected, and cheap at 400 pts.

new tracks are sweet, new bike is sick, and the new gear is expensive! shit is tight.

I was thinking about picking up both HD and Evo from that XBLA holiday sale, but I read that Evo pretty much makes HD obsolete. Just wanted to get some more input on that. Is it pointless to have both? Is just having Evo good enough?

I was thinking about picking up both HD and Evo from that XBLA holiday sale, but I read that Evo pretty much makes HD obsolete. Just wanted to get some more input on that. Is it pointless to have both? Is just having Evo good enough?

Play through Evo first and if you still want more, then get HD. HD is mechanically no worse than Evo and it has a bunch of tracks.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Say, question: what is a good way to grind money in Trials Evo? For all that super expensive new gear? You don't get much money from replaying a completed event once you get the best medal.

Evo is much better, but HD is still a great game. Buy Evo and consider HD if you want more.

Socreges

Banned
Loving this. And I've only played the demo... waiting for the XBLA sale on the 24th.

S.P.H.E.R.E is killing me. I was able to get to about ~520m pretty quickly, but I can't get past the point where you have to go along an extremely thin rail. I can do the vertical one easily, but the horizontal one seems impossible. There might actually be something wrong with my analog stick because I'm not sure it's actually capable of being that precise when pressing left to right. Again, killing me. I've done the beginning of the course so many times that I now have shortcuts where I bounce off the edge and skip over entire sections. Makes it easier to keep trying.

atomsk

Party Pooper
There's something about the lighting/shadows in Trouble at t' Mill that is really bothering me. The whole track feels dark in a bad way

Tried HDMI on one monitor, and VGA on another, still dark. I'm not upping my brightness for one track =/

Draconian

I bought the game, did a bunch of stuff last night including gold medalling all of the beginner and easy stuff and log in today to find that none of it saved. I'm pretty annoyed. The game is fun and addicting though.

EDIT: Apparently I only have to redo the license tests? Pretty strange, but I'm less annoyed now lol

Just got the game, loved Trials HD but waited to pick this one up.

Surprised by how quickly I have flown through to the A class licence, I imagine that this is where the meat of the game starts? If I have already played the majority of the levels in a way I would be slightly disappointed. Got lots of replaying to do in order to go for gold/ platinum, but im hoping I have a bunch of maps I have yet to see.

Overdoziz

Banned
I went from having 9 faults on Inferno 3 for half a year to suddenly getting Platinum on it out of nowhere today. I also got a Platinum medal on Dark City Run after having it on 1 fault for ages. It's amazing to see how much I've improved since I've last tried any of the launch tracks. All that remains is Way of the Ninja and Gigatrack (7:01 ;_;).

I went from having 9 faults on Inferno 3 for half a year to suddenly getting Platinum on it out of nowhere today. I also got a Platinum medal on Dark City Run after having it on 1 fault for ages. It's amazing to see how much I've improved since I've last tried any of the launch tracks. All that remains is Way of the Ninja and Gigatrack (7:01 ;_;).
Reading stuff like this...damn. Congrats folks. I love Trials HD & Evo and Trials Evo is my GOTY 2012 but I just can' finish Hard & Extreme tracks. Seriously, you have some skill folks. citizenkane.gif

Overdoziz

Banned
Reading stuff like this...damn. Congrats folks. I love Trials HD & Evo and Trials Evo is my GOTY 2012 but I just can' finish Hard & Extreme tracks. Seriously, you have some skill folks. citizenkane.gif
1 faulted Way of the Ninja yesterday too. Crashed on the second-to-last obstacle...................................

Fjordson

lmfao, same situation for me brother. This is most definitely one of my favourite games this year, but I have absolutely no chance on the extreme tracks. I bow to you, Overdoziz.

I might have to go back and give them another try, though. Haven't played this in months.

Overdoziz

Banned
I COMPLETED GIGATRACK ON PLATINUM
FINA-FUCKING-LLY
I WAS STUCK ON 0 FAULTS AND 7 MINUTES AND 1 SECOND FOR SO LONG

DUCK YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Socreges

Banned
Finally got the full game. Played some of the beginning tracks and then went to find a Hard custom track since Easy and Medium tracks are a bit boring. Definitely the best way to improve your skills and understanding of the game's subtle physics.

Loving it.

Socreges

Banned
The startup of this game is easily the fucking worst I've ever encountered in a video game. Horrible music and long loading times.

Otherwise.... no complaints. Still getting the hang of the controls. I watched a replay of the #1 time on a certain track and am amazed at how much I've still got to learn.

Also, Gigatrack is awesome.

Overdoziz

Banned
I hate long tracks. Part of what's fun to me is being able to redo tracks quickly over and over again, improving your time bit by bit.

Daigoro

Finished every launch track on Platinum! :D

Edit: Just Platinum'd every skill game too.

ew skill games yuck.

congrats on the plats and finally defeating Gigatrack!

The startup of this game is easily the fucking worst I've ever encountered in a video game. Horrible music and long loading times.

Otherwise.... no complaints. Still getting the hang of the controls. I watched a replay of the #1 time on a certain track and am amazed at how much I've still got to learn.

Also, Gigatrack is awesome.

no the intro songs are great. you just gotta feel it bro!

yeah the load times can be a bit much, especially with all the DLC. its not that bad though, and once its over it all good.

as far as looking at the #1 on the boards, thats like 1% shit. you should realistically (hopefully) have other people on your friends list at various different skill levels to learn from. there are so many tiers of skill level in this game its crazy. looking at the top (if you're new to the game) isnt going to teach you a lot imo. its best to have people to look to who range from right around your skill level to several steps above. you can learn a lot from replays that are much lower ranked on the boards. somewhere between 5k to 1k depending on your skill level.

my humble suggestion for a good start at progression is to just play all the tracks in every difficulty first. get as far as you can get before it seems like its getting a bit above your head, taking as much time/faults as you need. then go back to the beginning and try to zero fault as many tracks as you can (skip the ones that are giving you trouble and come back later). then go back to the hardest tracks that you were unable to complete before hand and see how your skill has progressed. then go back to the beginning and go for platinum times (skipping tracks that give you trouble again).

its a good way to keep things fresh and it is a good way to measure how much you have progressed skill level wise. when you go back to earlier tracks after playing for hours it should be obvious how much you have learned and how you have leveld yourself up through just playing. this really is a game where the more work you put in, the more you get in return.

atomsk

Party Pooper
as far as looking at the #1 on the boards, thats like 1% shit. you should realistically (hopefully) have other people on your friends list at various different skill levels to learn from. there are so many tiers of skill level in this game its crazy. looking at the top (if you're new to the game) isnt going to teach you a lot imo. its best to have people to look to who range from right around your skill level to several steps above. you can learn a lot from replays that are much lower ranked on the boards. somewhere between 5k to 1k depending on your skill level.

I end up watching the top couple to see where I should be aiming to cut my times the most, and then I watch a few right above the time I'm looking to beat for Platinum

I'm pretty good about knowing my limits of what I can and can't do. (and it usually involves the brake/frontflip fling off a ramp)

Overdoziz

Banned
I usually check the replay of a guy on my friendslist who's #7 in the world in Trials Evo. Most of the time there's one or two tricks during a track that you have to nail to get platinum. One of the best things about Trials is how well you can see how much you've progressed. Going from having a 100+ faults on an extreme track the first time through to zero faulting it later on is really satisfying.

On a related note: I only need one more platinum medal for the Pain DLC. I've got 1 fault on that damn 2D extreme tracks where a pencil draws out the track right in front of you. I don't know what it is but I've never liked 2D tracks, not in HD, not in Evo. For some reason it feels like they are different physics on those kinds of tracks compared to 3d ones.

Edit: And 10 minutes after this post I've completed it on platinum! All that remains now is the Riders of Doom DLC.
And a shitload of tournaments which I will never complete on platinum.

Daigoro

I end up watching the top couple to see where I should be aiming to cut my times the most, and then I watch a few right above the time I'm looking to beat for Platinum

I'm pretty good about knowing my limits of what I can and can't do. (and it usually involves the brake/frontflip fling off a ramp)

yeah, i was talking to the guy who apparently just started playing Trials for the first time, not the guys who have hundreds of hours under their belt already. :p

no harm in watching the top ranked players for some tips, but it might be a bit overwhelming for someone who just stared playing trying to emulate some of those moves.

Socreges

Banned
Taken and cherished, though I've been doing pretty much exactly what you suggested. Was just addressing any assumption; not ungrateful.

I haven't hit my ceiling yet. But I also haven't touched an Extreme track yet (I don't even know where to find them).

BTW, do I have to complete all the tracks before I'm told what's required for platinum?

Daigoro

Taken and cherished, though I've been doing pretty much exactly what you suggested. Was just addressing any assumption; not ungrateful.

gotcha. it's all good.

I haven't hit my ceiling yet. But I also haven't touched an Extreme track yet (I don't even know where to find them).

BTW, do I have to complete all the tracks before I'm told what's required for platinum?

hm. its been so long, im not sure...

probably by beating all of the hard tracks (no matter what medals you get) and unlocking the extreme tracks. either that, or gold all tracks up to hard, but i dont believe that's it.

someone correct me if im wrong.

Socreges

Banned
So 135 medals was the big milestone. Platinum unlocked, Extreme unlocked, and credits.

Extreme tracks are lots of fun, but punishing. Love the challenge. I've been able to beat the few I tried (relentless effort), and even get silver. Getting gold and platinum will take a while. I can't pass certain obstacles reliably, but I'm getting better.

PlayDat

Is there some kind of bug regarding the ghosts in this game? I turned them off the first time I went to replay a track since I found the dot to be extremely distracting, then all of a sudden it showed up again a few minutes ago when I was playing. I checked the options menu again and default ghosts was still set to none, but that damn dot wouldn't go away no matter how many times I tried resetting the option to none. The only thing I did differently when I was playing this time than the first time I turned off ghosts was that I was playing offline. I really don't see how that should matter though.

Socreges

Banned
That double steep plank (the one that's steep and then has another on top of it where you'd need to jump from one to the other) in Dark City Run is probably the first true ceiling that I've hit. It's the first obstacle that I haven't been able to pass with repeat attempts (dozens).

Got a bunch of friends that have played this game, but none have even beaten the Extreme tracks. Would be nice if it were easier to navigate the top scores. Getting from #1 to #10,000 takes ages.

[edit] Also, how do I watch videos of friends' runs? Might be worth adding some of you guys (from that Google doc) if that's an option.

I think if you hold down the right trigger it scrolls much faster. Replays are only saved for the top 10,000 times on each track.

I'm downloading the PC beta right now!

Overdoziz

Banned
Heard there were framerate issues and graphical glitches. It's only a beta, though. I really hope there will be crossplatform leaderboards and track sharing down the line. Haven't heard anything about that.

There's a spot in the menu for track central (if I'm recalling correctly from last night). I did not have any framerate issues at all. Running at 2560x1440 and the few options set to high. The game looks very nice (could look better with better textures and stuff still).

Is anyone else having weird issues with this game? My brother booted it up for the first time in months, and it keeps overwriting his personal records. For example, his record on the Icarus Flight mini game was 400 meters or so, but he just played and went 200 meters, and the game said it was a new personal record and overwrote his old score.

It's super frustrating, and makes him not want to play the game at all for fear of ruining his old scores.

Happened to me too, but only with the launch skill games.

My brother noticed it with two skill games: the Icarus one and the one in which you have limited gas. I'm surprised this wasn't fixed ASAP. I consider it game-breaking that a game so dependent on high scores will randomly reset your high score whenever you decide to play a level.

Overdoziz

Banned
I think it has to do with the glitch in that skill game where you have to balance a ball on your bike where you could drop it off at the start and just continue on riding without it. They fixed that and I guess they 'reset' the leaderboards, but because it records your scores locally it doesn't update until you get another time on a skill game.

...or something

FACE

Banned
Steam says the release date for Trials Evoluton: Gold Edition is March 21, but I bought it and I'm already playing it. What the hell?

Edit: Oh, beta access. That explains the flickering.

Top Bottom