• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trudeau will be first Canadian PM to address U.S. governors' meeting

From The Star

Seeking influence with U.S. leaders who are not President Donald Trump, Justin Trudeau will be the first Canadian prime minister to deliver a speech to a major conference of American state governors.

Trudeau will give the keynote address at the National Governors Association meeting in Providence, Rhode Island next Friday, just over a month before the expected launch of North American Free Trade Agreement renegotiation talks.

Trudeau’s address will focus on trade, his government said in a news release, and he “will also emphasize the importance of the Canada-U.S. partnership in cross-border security and the potential for common solutions on climate change.”

The address is part of Trudeau’s effort to build relationships with U.S. leaders outside of Trump’s administration. On the whole, state governors are far more pro-NAFTA than Trump, who calls the deal a “catastrophe.”

Canadian premiers and federal legislators regularly attend National Governors Association meetings, but no Canadian prime minister has spoken there since its founding in 1908, according to U.S. State Department records.

“Not in modern times have we have a sitting Canadian Prime Minister deliver a keynote address at either our Winter or Summer Meeting,” said association spokesperson Elena Waskey.

Trump and Vice-President Mike Pence have also been invited, Waskey said. They have not publicly said if they will attend.

entremet

I think Trudeau is rather overrated, but I do appreciate his political savvy.

He's aware of the importance of the American partnership and has handled a rather unhinged and mercurial Trump with deft hands. He's playing the long game.

Shaanyboi

Banned
He's just taking the temperature of the place to see who would switch sides in Canada's inevitable invasion of the States.

entremet

What does "overrated" even mean in this context?

Leader of the free world nonsense. Also him being attractive being used to overlook some not so progressive decisions. Also he's still relatively a novice in the political sphere, let him develop a record. For the record, I thought the same thing about Obama, but he developed a record and had notable accomplishments. Basically, let him develop a political history before crowing him king.

Comparatively speaking, I think Merkel is heavily underrated. But she does not have telegenic personality so her accomplishment are downplayed.

Leader of the free world nonsense. Also him being attractive being used to overlook some not so progressive decisions. Also he's still relatively a novice in the political sphere, let him develop a record. For the record, I thought the same thing about Obama, but he developed a record and had notable accomplishments. Basically, let him develop a political history before crowing him king.
Trudeau has been an MP since 2008 lol hardly a "novice". I am Canadian and I'm guessing you aren't - no one here calls him "the leader of the free world". That is simply a made up American phrase used by Americans. Over here he's a pretty successful politician who is still well liked, hardly overrated in any sense of the word.

entremet

Trudeau has been an MP since 2008 lol hardly a "novice". I am Canadian and I'm guessing you aren't - no one here calls him "the leader of the free world". That is simply a made up American phrase used by Americans. Over here he's a pretty successful politician who is still well liked, hardly overrated in any sense of the word.

I'm talking about here lol. I'm a discussing within this context of where I'm posting from. Also he assumed office in 2015 as a wold leader. It's a different ball game once you're at his position. I like Trudeau, btw. Wanna trade lol.

darscot

Trudeau takes more shit for being good looking... I knew the guys answer to overrated would mention his looks.

UberTag

He's aware of the importance of the American partnership and has handled a rather unhinged and mercurial Trump with deft hands. He's playing the long game.
I applaud Justin being proactive on this front. The opposition might be fielding toothless leaders but they will pounce if there's any perception of Canada losing any sort of ground economically during the NAFTA talks with Trump given how literally every other global leader has managed to fleece "the great negotiator" thus far.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
They've been flooding individual states with Ministers to build ties ever since Trump was elected. It's smart, definitely smarter than relying on Trump to be your BFF.

Trudeau dropped the ball on electoral reform, but other than that he's hit most other major decisions out of the park. Overrated because of being good looking and a thread by Gutter trash?

His approach to handling the Trump admin is brilliant.

Trudeau takes more shit for being good looking... I knew the guys answer to overrated would mention his looks.

I agree that some critics use Trudeau's looks to dismiss him, but you'd be naive to think his pulchritude, along with his pedigree, hasn't helped him immensely. Sex sells in politics, too, especially with the younger crowd. We saw the same principle with Obama, whose youth and handsomeness contributed to his "fresh" image.

Good. Bypass the orange man child and speak to people that will actually listen and support the same ideals. I hope this encourages more PMs to do the same. Trump is useless and his weird child bride is not a subsidiary for POTUS. Glad I live in NY in a sanctuary city for immigrants and as a state supporting the Paris Accord.

Top Bottom