• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - McConaughey/Harrelson crime series - S2 starts June 21st

Status
Not open for further replies.
Content Round Up - Episode 6 - Haunted Houses

5XpwUXk.jpg

Reviews:
Videos:
Other:
- NY Mag interview: True Detective’s Michelle Monaghan on Maggie’s Big Moment and Connecting With Cohle
- Emily Nussbaum on TD for The New Yorker
- YahooTV: 'True Detective' Star Michelle Monaghan on Maggie's Predatory Turn and the Show's 'Shocking,' 'Disturbing' Resolution
- Slate: The Horrible Things That Men Do to Women - Yes, True Detective treats its female characters badly. That's the point.
- Music listings
- Alyssa Rosenberg: Why Men Should Want ‘True Detective’ To Have Great, Nuanced Female Characters
- Molly Lambert for Grantland: Her Looming Shadow Grows: The Complex Women of ‘True Detective’
- Maureen Ryan: 'True Detective,' Flat Circles And The Eternal Search For Meaning
- LA Times: Music and 'True Detective': A playlist of grim songs score HBO drama (includes a Spotify playlist with most of the music)
- Salon: “True Detective” vs. film noir
- Grantland's Hollywood Prospectus Podcast talks True Detective this week, among other things. Keep in mind that Andy Greenwald isn't a huge fan of the show.
- Fukunaga confirmed to not be coming back for season 2
- HBO’s ‘True Detective’ Uncovers Series High On Sunday
- Youtube playlist with almost all of the music from TD via io9
- ScreenCrush: ‘True Detective’ and Women: Does the Hit HBO Show Have a Problem With Female Characters?
- Vanity Fair: True Detective’s Grisly Murders, Rejected Hairstyles, and Big Hug Mug Backstory, from Director Cary Fukunaga
- Lengthy interview with The Daily Beast: True Detective Director Cary Fukunaga’s Journey from Pro Snowboarder to Hollywood’s Most Wanted
- HBO: Interview With Michelle Monaghan

Wilbur

Banned
Watched Dazed & Confused tonight, and then that music video MM did when he plays Wooderson again. He looks exactly the fucking same. The man does not age.

kaskade

I wonder if that Unsolved Mysteries has anything to do with the show. Everything seems so coincidental that I feel like it has too. Especially with Fukunaga just mentioning that specific clip. Who knows maybe it's just a little easter egg they wanted.

XAL

And seriously, if lawnmower guy ends up being some important part of the story I will hate it.

He's coming back for 2 more episodes, so signs point to yes.

*edit*
aw fuck my bad, I just saw it earlier somewhere back in the thread a couple minutes beforehand unspoilered >_>

Dead Man

WELL THEN. Obviously won't jump to any conclusions. But I have to say, I'm still worried they won't stick the ending to this season.

Shit, I hope you are saying that because you read the spoiler and not due to my spoiler warnings. I suck at this spoiler discussion stuff.

Mononoke

Banned
Shit, I hope you are saying that because you read the spoiler and not due to my spoiler warnings. I suck at this spoiler discussion stuff.

No worries! I actually don't mind spoilers. I don't seek them out. But if I see something, I don't care. I get most of my enjoyment out of seeing it executed, vs. the surprise. When I saw your post, I didn't even notice. :)

It sounds like you want the show to be a women's studies paper.

There's a huge gap between where the show is and something that's devoted solely and exclusively to intellectual exploration of female-oriented themes. Just to pick purely from crime-oriented television, some shows that have much better writing for women without being "a women's studies paper": Homicide: Life on the Street, The Wire, Twin Peaks, The Fall....

You are holding it to an impossibly high standard.

"Don't write shitty female characters" is actually a pretty low standard!

There's a huge gap between where the show is and something that's devoted solely and exclusively to intellectual exploration of female-oriented themes. Just to pick purely from crime-oriented television, some shows that have much better writing for women without being "a women's studies paper": Homicide: Life on the Street, The Wire, Twin Peaks, The Fall....

most shows primarily focus on shitty male characters, so I suppose that's also something.

EDIT: I should point out that I don't necessarily disagree with you here. I do like Maggie for the most part, most of the others just seem like filler to where they're plot progression points and not characters

i wouldn't trust imdb casting credits 100%

i remember towards the end of breaking bad they had some crazy shit like dead characters returning

Socreges

Banned

What's wrong with the writing? You touched on this in your other post but were similarly vague. I'm honestly curious and don't necessarily object. I just happen to like how Maggie is written.

I think it's also completely unfair to compare a show like this, which focuses almost entirely on two detectives over 8 episodes, to other shows that develop several characters at once and can afford variety.

And: "Pizzolato seems to get why there's an issue" -- but he wouldn't agree with your arguments here. I think he agrees that there are no strong female characters, but he doesn't see that as an issue as such. He's comfortable, it seems, with the choices they've made in creating this season. I'm sure it's left him wanting to, alternatively, give an opportunity for a strong female lead.

Tom_Cody

*shrugs*

I'm not really capable of a serious intellectual discussion on this topic. To respond as a layman, I think that the show is extremely well written and, more than anything else, I would not want Pizzolato's writing to be interfered with. It's central focus is not examining women's issues, that simply isn't the central focus. That's what I meant by the "Women's Studies paper" comment. It is a Noir-ish detective show focusing on two central protagonist who aren't women. As I read your prior post, it sounds to me that you want the show to be something else and for it to focus on different themes. But maybe I'm putting words in your mouth.

To quote part of your prior post:
I don't think it's correct to read the things Marty (who is a misogynist) says as authorial voice, the same way it's not right to read Rust's nihilist philosophy as being the objective meaning of the show.
I completely agree with this. Of the two central protagonists, one of them is a deeply flawed husband and father and the show examines this and lays him bare. It certainly does nothing to endorse his behavior.

To quote another part:
I do think it has a fairly significant problem with the way women are written relative to men, which arises from a variety of causes (gender-biased premise of sexual murders against nameless women; generic HBO boobie shots; general poor writing of supporting characters; insufficient deconstruction of sexist noir tropes; what seems like trouble constructing good dialogue for women on Pizzolato's part; etc.) and leaves gender as an unfortunate low point in a generally good show.
I can't say that I disagree with any of this, but I think it would change the nature of the show if it were rewritten to address these concerns. For example, if they were to further flesh out all or most of the female characters then the focus of the narrative would be significantly diluted (IMO).

hokahey

Why does the show have to have strong female characters? I don't understand this complaint. The women in this story are who they are. Are they unrealistic portrayals? Is it poor writing? I don't think so. I'm sure you'll disagree with something about "cliche female archetypes" but the women in the story are intended to be either a victimized house wife or basically prostitutes.

duckroll

Why does the show have to have strong female characters? I don't understand this complaint. The women in this story are who they are. Are they unrealistic portrayals? Is it poor writing? I don't think so. I'm sure you'll disagree with something about "cliche female archetypes" but the women in the story are intended to be either a victimized house wife or basically prostitutes.

You know what poor writing is? An extended exchange between Marty and Beth about how she wants him to "fuck her in the ass" while she poses in her underwear and the camera pans around her body. That adds nothing to the narrative nor does it tell us anything about the characters we didn't already know. It was just stupid. :)

dave is ok

aztek is ok
You know what poor writing is? An extended exchange between Marty and Beth about how she wants him to "fuck her in the ass" while she poses in her underwear and the camera pans around her body. That adds nothing to the narrative nor does it tell us anything about the characters we didn't already know. It was just stupid. :)
Just because you're uncomfortable with it, doesn't mean it didn't add anything.

I think it showed us both how Marty is able to be tempted by these young girls and how fucked up the brain is of a girl who was raised a whore.

duckroll

Just because you're uncomfortable with it, doesn't mean it didn't add anything.

I think it showed us both how Marty is able to be tempted by these young girls and how fucked up the brain is of a girl who was raised a whore.

If you needed a scene like that to tell you those things, you probably haven't been paying attention to the 5 episodes before that. Just saying. Let's not pretend that every part of the show is as deep and meaningful, because it isn't. It's okay when a very good show also has flaws. It's okay for people to discuss and talk about those flaws.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
If you needed a scene like that to tell you those things, you probably haven't been paying attention to the 5 episodes before that. Just saying. Let's not pretend that every part of the show is as deep and meaningful, because it isn't. It's okay when a very good show also has flaws. It's okay for people to discuss and talk about those flaws.
This show has plenty of flaws. But the scene that stuck out to me in this weeks episode wasn't the one you described, it was the girl breaking down in the mental ward of a hospital while being questioned by police.

Trope on a trope on a trope.

Tom_Cody

I won't say that there aren't other examples, but I disagree with this one.

At the start of the (fairly short) scene Hart was trying to break it off. He had recognized that it was not worth risking his marriage and family over the affair. He then calls her and she temps him back. He gives into human frailty. I will grant you that Beth is a completely 2-dimension character, but the show is not about her. They could have spent another 10 minutes developing her motivations but that would not have made the show better.

Beyond that, my GF and I simply laughed our asses off at his base lasciviousness in the scene. His lip-licking has become an inside joke between us.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

Agreed, it felt gratuitous. Marty's wife finding and seeing the pictures of Beth told the same information far more efficiently and naturally.

One of the weakest scenes of the entire series in terms of execution.

He's just a normal guy with a big ass dick.

Screw the Rust-whoever crossovers. I want a Marty Hart and Bunk Moreland teamup.

duckroll

He's just a normal guy with a big ass dick.

Considering how much denial and lack of self-awareness there is in what Marty says in the entire interview, I'm starting to doubt that fact too. Maybe they should ask his ex-wife in the next episode.

"One more thing before you go ma'am. When we spoke to him, Marty said he had a big ass dick, would you agree with that assessment?"

Solo

Considering how much denial and lack of self-awareness there is in what Marty says in the entire interview, I'm starting to doubt that fact too. Maybe they should ask his ex-wife in the next episode.

"One more thing before you go ma'am. When we spoke to him, Marty said he had a big ass dick, would you agree with that assessment?"

"In a former life, I used to exhaust myself navigating crude men who thought they were more endowed than they were, so ask your questions or I'm leaving."

Solo

Man, I just realized we are about to get 2 episodes of Marty and Cohle together. No flashbacks, no talking about events and then showing us, just 2 hours of 2012 Marty/Rust in the here and now. So good.

duckroll

Man, I just realized we are about to get 2 episodes of Marty and Cohle together. No flashbacks, no talking about events and then showing us, just 2 hours of 2012 Marty/Rust in the here and now. So good.

The interview with Maggie isn't over though. I think we've pretty much exhausted the flashbacks too, but that's still on piece of the framing narrative which is hanging there. She hasn't given them anything at all yet, so there might be something else she has to say? I dunno.

scoobs

its exciting isn't it? God I hope they stick the landing

Solo

The interview with Maggie isn't over though. I think we've pretty much exhausted the flashbacks too, but that's still on piece of the framing narrative which is hanging there. She hasn't given them anything at all yet, so there might be something else she has to say? I dunno.

Yeah, I could see Maggie's interview continuing til the end, but just to fill in whatever blanks have been left since Marty and Rust are back on the case.

Hard to say of course, but I'm guessing 7 and 8 will be very light on the interview framing device and more linear.

I have faith they'll manage to wrap this up in a satisfying way. They've created something so interesting and enjoyable thus far, I can't believe they'd just drop the ball at the end.

People will bitch about it regardless of how good it is, but that just the nature of fandom. You're already seeing posters in this thread make stipulations that if this or that happens, his show will have been a disappointment. Pretty silly. Sit back and enjoy the show, brehs

-griffy-

Banned
Some of you guys are putting too much stock into who the killer is if you are getting upset about the potential spoiler up the page. Does it really matter who the killer is, as long as it isn't something super offensive like being Rust? That's far less interesting to me then how much farther the characters fall to find it out, and what they have to do to uncover the truth. Very little of these last two episodes hinges on whodunnit, I feel, and more like howfuckedupdoesitget (not quite the same ring to that term, admittedly).

Also, just realized it's Oscar Sunday this weekend. What to do....

Van Owen

Banned

Marty wouldn't have all these women going nuts over him if he didn't have a big ass dick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom