• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective Season 1, Yea or Nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I feel like I want to binge watch a good detective show this weekend, so I was wondering if I should bother. What's your verdict TV-GAF? Heard some polarizing stuff.

ObiDin

It's not that you want to marathon the show before hand, it's just that you can't stop after watching the first episode.

It's great, get to it.

I'd say the only polarizing part is the ending. I didn't care much for it and thought based on the past episodes it could have been better.

I'd say the only polarizing part is the ending. I didn't care much for it and thought based on the past episodes it could have been better.

Yeah I wasn't a big fan of the conclusion to the case but other than that its a damn good show imo

Especially the two lead performances

Fjordson

I would definitely give it a shot at least. One of the most interesting shows I've seen in years. Absolutely loved it. And because of it's structure, you'll get a full and complete story by the end of the season.

Cudder

Watched it a couple months ago. Great show, really enjoyed it. The acting from the 2 leads are outstanding.

Mitch

Banned
Jumped in without knowing much. Ended up binge watching most of the season before I caught up. If the first episode doesn't get you hooked, then it probably won't be for you.

dekline

lck75xpcazwo76.jpeg

Lothar

Banned
I've never heard anyone say anything negative about True Detective. It's clearly one of the best seasons of TV ever.

Gobias

Banned
Certainly not perfect, but it's pretty good. It'll probably be hard to go in without too much hype with all the praise it gets though.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
So I feel like I want to binge watch a good detective show this weekend, so I was wondering if I should bother. What's your verdict TV-GAF? Heard some polarizing stuff.

what!!? it's universally praised! if anyone didn't like any part of it, let me know so we can all make fun of them.

you go watch now!

i'd stop talking to people about it, too. just go in blind ASAP

Jonm1010

Banned
Exactly what I'm worried about. I need a satisfying pay-off.
The ending is better then a majority of TV shows out there. Like every ending to a show or miniseries you will find people that wanted more but the ending and the final arc itself is well done, intense and stays within the realm of believability of the universe and characters it establishes.

I honestly think it is one of the better endings to a TV show/miniseries I have seen in a while.

I marathoned the entire show in one day with some friends. It was great.

I'd recommend taking a short break after episode 5, then come back and watch the final 3 episodes.

Dyno

A warning. The first two episodes may try your patience. It's slow and not much happens. Keep at it. The show is setting you up for some scenes, some dialogue. It really comes together and delivers by the end.

So kick back, relax, enjoy the ride, and listen to the theme song in it's entirety each and every time. It will transport you into the story.

I want to hear more about these 'nay sayers'.

They're evangelists, right? People who find that the show reflects poorly on their stick because it deals with the underlying themes of 'cultism'?

Guevara

Ultimately disappointing, the last episode is basically
CSI: Louisiana
. Worth watching for the acting, groan-worthy writing aside.

pr0cs

It's a great show. It peaks around mid season but is still well worth a watch.
Both Harrelson and McConaughey are excellent and so are Daddario
's boobs

It is absolutely incredible, and personally it's ones of my favorite detective stories ever. The performances are impeccable, and the show creates this haunting atmosphere that draws you in. The cinematography is outstanding as well, really some of the best for any tv show ever.

Watch it.

Gobias

Banned
The show has great music, great cinematography, and great acting. The show also has mediocre writing.

I want to hear more about these 'nay sayers'.

They're evangelists, right? People who find that the show reflects poorly on their stick because it deals with the underlying themes of 'cultism'?

Yup, the only people who have problems with the show are religious crazies. Literally impossible to have criticisms otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom