• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective Season 1, Yea or Nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, seems like a consensus. Is it gorey like Hannibal or Dexter? From the trailer it looks very respectful, you know, not using senseless gore. (Not that Hannibal is senselessly gorey) Might watch with someone else who doesn't like too much gore.

Anyway, seems like I missed something big, but my policy is to wait until, at the very least, one season is out. So I waited until this finished. (Broke this rule for BrBa and GOT along with some others) Maybe I might get hooked and join you guys in Season 2?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Not a native speaker here.

I tried watching the first episode without subtitles and started to hate Matthew McConaughey with a passion.

2 days later I went to see Interstellar not knowing much about it and lo and behold, Mr. Matthew "I-can't-enunciate-for-shit" McConaughey was in that too and I now want him to die in a fire.

Fuck you McConaughey, you're not foreign-friendly ;(.

I would say a few scenes in the show along with in Game of Thrones
the Viper and the Mountain fight
had my heart pounding harder than any other show I have ever seen.

Watch it, really good stuff.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Okay, seems like a consensus. Is it gorey like Hannibal or Dexter? From the trailer it looks very respectful, you know, not using senseless gore. (Not that Hannibal is senselessly gorey) Might watch with someone else who doesn't like too much gore.

Anyway, seems like I missed something big, but my policy is to wait until, at the very least, one season is out. So I waited until this finished. (Broke this rule for BrBa and GOT along with some others) Maybe I might get hooked and join you guys in Season 2?

Each season is self contained. Season 2 will be completely different, starring new people.

Show isn't gorey at all.

Stop watching trailers and talking to us dummies and go watch.

nynt9

Great acting, cheesy writing and horrible pacing saved by good directing. Worth a watch, but not the savior of mankind. There's not a lot better than it, but still doesn't excuse its flaws - only goes to show how the medium still has a lot of room to grow. Also watch Fargo, I'd say it's way better overall.

pr0cs

Okay, seems like a consensus. Is it gorey like Hannibal or Dexter?
Not gory really, but a lot of disturbing imagery and themes.

Maybe I might get hooked and join you guys in Season 2?

The way the show works is that each season will have different actors and different theme but similar overall premise. So watching season 2 will likely have little to no bearing on if you watched season 1.

It's like watching a really long movie really, that when it ends it's over.

It's not a good show, but it's worth watching just to see what all the fuss is about.

You watch American Horror Story and defend it :p

True Detective is great, I can understand why some people don't like the ending but I honestly don't know where they wanted the show to go in the end.

Each season is self contained. Season 2 will be completely different, starring new people.

Show isn't gorey at all.

Stop watching trailers and talking to us dummies and go watch.
Gotcha, lol. You're probably right. Alright GAF, you convinced me.
Gotta wait until the weekend though, because otherwise I'll get distracted. Stay tuned for impressions then :)
Edit: Shit just remembered I have some adult responsibilities and stuff this weekend. Aw well, I'll watch it over Christmas weekend.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member

Depending on your mindset you might find it existentially gory, but that's it.

Dosia

I just watched all 8 episodes in 2 days as I am home sick with a cold and I thought it was pretty good. Definitely worth a watch.

The show has great music, great cinematography, and great acting. The show also has mediocre writing.

Yup, the only people who have problems with the show are religious crazies. Literally impossible to have criticisms otherwise.

What religious crazies have criticized it?

I also can't believe some people are calling the writing mediocre.

jtb

Banned
nay.

sloppily conceived and executed version of a story that's been told countless times over already

MM gives good performance. WH gives laughably bad one

Guevara

The other thing about season 1 that kills me is it breaks the mystery code: an attentive viewer could not possibly have figured out the conclusion.

There were all sorts of interesting theories pieced together from the evidence of the first episodes. Too bad none of that mattered. In the end
it was just a generic b-movie monster.

Monocle

It declines toward the end, but it's still absolutely worth watching.

Hannibal is better though. Not technically a detective show despite the crime solving elements, but still essential viewing.

Jonm1010

Banned

Each season is a isolated story with no bearing on the following season. Think of it as a miniseries and not a TV show.

I wonder if some of the naysayers in this thread have ever gagged on their own pretentiousness?

I mean come on. WH performance was "laughably bad"? Get the fuck out of here.

KingGondo

Banned
I wonder if some of the naysayers in this thread have ever gagged on their own pretentiousness?

I mean come on. WH performance was "laughably bad"? Get the fuck out of here.
It's fine to have a contrary opinion, just try to back it up.

Same goes for people who are arguing with the consensus.

Just because someone disagrees doesn't make them a snob or pretentious.

Faddy

Banned
The other thing about season 1 that kills me is it breaks the mystery code: an attentive viewer could not possibly have figured out the conclusion.

There were all sorts of interesting theories pieced together from the evidence of the first episodes. Too bad none of that mattered. In the end
it was just a generic b-movie monster.

It isn't really a mystery. The point of the show is the characters and looking at how their relationship deteriorated to the current state. The episodes show you how they became they way they are.

The main part I didn't like we're the bikers because it seemed to have a different mood to the rest if the show. The ending was fine in a plot and theme sense although I am not a fan of how it was shot, it hasn't got great cinematography and makes the whole thing confusing.

It declines toward the end, but it's still absolutely worth watching.

Hannibal is better though. Not technically a detective show despite the crime solving elements, but still essential viewing.

Really like mads mikkelsen but hannibal has some shit ass writing at times

Visually a great show though, but I aint a fan of bryan fuller

VARIA

My favorite thing in a long time. It made me respect Matthew McConaughhey as an actor. The chemistry that he has with Woody Harrelson is also amazing. This series is not about the mystery of the crime (which you can probably figure out pretty soon), it's a focused character driven drama that shows how crime affects these characters personal lives.

Just watch it OP, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Worth it for the first four, maybe five episodes alone. Last few episodes aren't as good (and one of those is pretty average), but definitely give it a go.

Jonm1010

Banned
It's fine to have a contrary opinion, just try to back it up.

Same goes for people who are arguing with the consensus.

Just because someone disagrees doesn't make them a snob or pretentious.

No it doesn't but comments like the "writing is mediocre," or "WH sucked" are arguing against a pretty well established consensus that has had that sides argument presented and validated through the court of public opinion so their counter-assertion has a bigger responsibility in terms of burden of proof.

To me te pretentiousness comes in when they assert there counter opinion and feel they have no responsibility to qualify such a minority opinion.

But frankly OP, if you have an hour to read these comments you have an hour to watch the first episode. So instead of reading the inevitable fight that is going to happen soon between the vocal minority of haters and everyone else, you could just spend that time watching an episode.

I have a question about the series (spoilers)
Why did Rust and Marty talk about a shoot out, but then it showed them silently running towards the meth cabin? Did the budget just run out?

It isn't really a mystery. The point of the show is the characters and looking at how their relationship deteriorated to the current state. The episodes show you how they became they way they are.

The main part I didn't like we're the bikers because it seemed to have a different mood to the rest if the show. The ending was fine in a plot and theme sense although I am not a fan of how it was shot, it hasn't got great cinematography and makes the whole thing confusing.

But we got the most impressive cinematography of the entire series from that arc. The one continuous shot of the crack house robbery and getaway was masterful.

Why did Rust and Marty talk about a shoot out, but then it showed them silently running towards the meth cabin? Did the budget just run out?

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not but that was kinda the point of the episode (well, at least one point).
They lied.

VARIA

They covered each others asses for killing that pedophile lunatic by saying they were shot at first.

KingGondo

Banned
No it doesn't but comments like the "writing is mediocre," or "WH sucked" are arguing against a pretty well established consensus that has had that sides argument presented and validated through the court of public opinion so their counter-assertion has a bigger responsibility in terms of burden of proof.

To me te pretentiousness comes in when they assert there counter opinion and feel they have no responsibility to qualify such a minority opinion.

But frankly OP, if you have an hour to read these comments you have an hour to watch the first episode. So instead of reading the inevitable fight that is going to happen soon between the vocal minority of haters and everyone else, you could just spend that time watching an episode.
The original guy's assertion that Harrelson sucked was a poor post because it wasn't backed up with any specific scenes.

But I also hate when threads devolve into accusations of snobbery. It makes for terrible discussion.

FWIW, I like True Detective but hearing others' opinions on it has lessened my own evaluation of it somewhat. There are inconsistencies and shortcomings that are covered up by the strength of the cinematography and acting.

Still well worth watching though.

Imm0rt4l

Fuck yes yaaaaaaaasssss

Because they were lying. They are not reliable narrators.

Ezalc

It's worth it for the tits alone, but more important it's gorgeous, has great atmosphere, and the two leads are pretty awesome. Ending was ok.

Kaladin

The only complaint I might have is that for eight episodes, it was a bit slow. It was great though, can't wait for season 2.

Just watched it over the weekend with my girlfriend. I really, really enjoyed it. Trying to figure out which one of the guys was the True Detective was a very thrilling television experience. Unlike anything else.

Hmm, not sure whether or not you should watch this nearly-universally-acclaimed and award-nominated 10 hour series.

Better ask Gaf.

One of the best shows I have ever seen. The last two episodes drop in quality a little, but getting there is great. It's filmed so well, incredibly atmospheric without being too flashy or over the top and the acting by the two leads is some of the best I have seen on a TV show.

Faddy

Banned
But we got the most impressive cinematography of the entire series from that arc. The one continuous shot of the crack house robbery and getaway was masterful.

Technical wankery. The shot was a triumph of cinematography but it had no relation to the characters, plot or themes of the episode. It wouldn't have been a lessened impact if there were cuts. In fact the scene itself is broken into several set pieces, camera rolling without cuts, that they may as we'll be there. I certainly didn't notice it on first viewing.

Technical wankery. The shot was a triumph of cinematography but it had no relation to the characters, plot or themes of the episode. It wouldn't have been a lessened impact if there were cuts. In fact the scene itself is broken into several set pieces, camera rolling without cuts, that they may as we'll be there. I certainly didn't notice it on first viewing.

This is debatable. The lack of cuts reflected Rust's state of mind and the amount of focus he had, versus the biker wankers who were sloppy and paid the price.

J2d

Not a native speaker here.

I tried watching the first episode without subtitles and started to hate Matthew McConaughey with a passion.

2 days later I went to see Interstellar not knowing much about it and lo and behold, Mr. Matthew "I-can't-enunciate-for-shit" McConaughey was in that too and I now want him to die in a fire.

Fuck you McConaughey, you're not foreign-friendly ;(.
So why not watch it with subtitles then?

UrbanRats

Really like mads mikkelsen but hannibal has some shit ass writing at times

Visually a great show though, but I aint a fan of bryan fuller

I'll still take Hannibal's writing over True Detective's any day.
I had a lot more fun with it.

True Detective isn't bad TV by any means, but it never clicked for me, just kept waiting for it to get somewhere, and it never did.

So much so that i won't be watching the second season.

Hannibal is often cheesy and with many logical holes, but it doesn't take itself as seriously, so it felt much less grating.
Not even taking into consideration the other aspects of both shows (cinematography, sound direction etc), of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom