• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trumbleseed, new Indie game with HD Rumble support

it's still in development, but essentially it allows you to feel where the seed is on the screen (left or right) and how fast you're rolling. if you're rolling fast at all in our game, you're usually outta control so it sorta provides a 6th sense that allows you to feel your inertia. we have some other stuff we're experimenting with as well, but nothing worth mentioning right now as it might not make it into the final version.

Have you looked into implementing similar functionality for the Steam controller's haptics for the Steam release?

Shahadan

I like the concept but I don't think this trailer does a good job showcasing different situations and powerups. It's cut too fast and the artstyle is busy enough so you don't have time to focus the proper things.

I'll need gameplay videos because right now I don't even know if I'm interested.

This game looks phenomenal so far. Super Monkey Ball and Marble Madness are games I constantly come back to. I love these types of games, and this one in particular looks very very great. I'm really digging the artwork and amount of variety shown in the footage linked in the OP.

You played it?

That's called business, bro. And your use of the phrase "B-Tier" is pretty obnoxious considering the game isn't even out yet.
Yeah. =) I'm really glad they stuck with more tactile controls.

aeiowu

Neo Member
I like the concept but I don't think this trailer does a good job showcasing different situations and powerups. It's cut too fast and the artstyle is busy enough so you don't have time to focus the proper things.

I'll need gameplay videos because right now I don't even know if I'm interested.

my last post about this got paged, but here's a good LP from northerlion that is about a 30m session where he explains the basics and core concepts of the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veCf42isn-Q

Slick Butter said:
Have you looked into implementing similar functionality for the Steam controller's haptics for the Steam release?

Not just yet, but I don't see why we wouldn't give it a shot since we have the basic hooks in there going already for Switch.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
it's still in development, but essentially it allows you to feel where the seed is on the screen (left or right) and how fast you're rolling. if you're rolling fast at all in our game, you're usually outta control so it sorta provides a 6th sense that allows you to feel your inertia. we have some other stuff we're experimenting with as well, but nothing worth mentioning right now as it might not make it into the final version.
Thanks. About that 6th sense comment, would you say it can have a positive impact on gameplay, beyond being cool to feel?

Cuburt

There seems too be a lot more to this game than how it first appears to be.

Makes me wonder what it'd be like to take another simple sort of game concept and then adding upgrading and power ups. Seems really creative. And of course HD Rumble has me intrigued.

jonno394

yea the teaser is not the greatest at showing the depth/gameplay. NorthernLion did a Let's Look At a couple months ago of our alpha and he explains the basics here much better than I can through text: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veCf42isn-Q

Definitely wasn't entirely sold by the trailer, but watched the playthrough today and i'm definitely onboard with the concept now and will get this on switch, Actually thought it was motion controlled at first (partly a reason why I wasnt sold) but the playthrough showed me how wrong I was!

aeiowu

Neo Member
Thanks. About that 6th sense comment, would you say it can have a positive impact on gameplay, beyond being cool to feel?

i would. that's our whole goal at least: to give players something functional/useful through haptics and then secondary to that: the coolness.

Hey I'm Greg, one of the devs on the game. Thanks for posting about this marc^o^!

It's not! Motion controls truly suck for TumbleSeed, even though we did try very early on. They are far too imprecise for how hard our game is. So instead it's twin-stick just like Ice Cold Beer which provides pinpoint control and stability. So yea, tim_pkmn89 got it right with what inspired us. We love that game and wondered the same thing about 3 years ago: "What if we made ICB into a digital game with enemies, powerups, proc gen. etc.!" Turns out it was harder than we thought by about 2 years, but we made it and TS is the best thing I've ever worked on so no regrets.

Let me know if ya have any other questions! We've been hiding in a hole for years now, hard at work so it's nice to talk about it finally.

Thanks for commenting!

The music is incredible, who's responsible?

Spy

awesome, i love it too! it's Joel Corelitz http://joelcorelitz.com/ (that's why someone earlier mentioned hohokum, unfinished swan etc. he did audio/tunes for those and many other rad games). we're all in chicago here so that's how we met. super lucky to be a part of this team! :)
I pay attention to most game releases but this one seems to have slipped under my radar. It seriously looks amazing and the music, wow.

Do you have any information about whether there's achievements for the Switch version or is there a NDA? Also, price?

Regardless it's a day one pickup. It looks like the perfect game to play on the go.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
i would. that's our whole goal at least: to give players something functional/useful through haptics and then secondary to that: the coolness.
Thank you for your feedback on GAF, you're the first dev to tell us directly about HD Rumble :)

Do you have a better idea of your launch date?

taoofjord

it is not, though for a song or two we do have a sort of stem system going. this way certain tracks don't get too repetitive.

yea the teaser is not the greatest at showing the depth/gameplay. NorthernLion did a Let's Look At a couple months ago of our alpha and he explains the basics here much better than I can through text: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veCf42isn-Q

in a nutshell, think Ice Cold Beer meets MegaMan + Spelunky. kind of a weird mix, but we have the control scheme from ICB, Spelunky's proc gen., permadeath, linear progression, some roguelike things, and MegaMan with its suit powers (we have about 30 rn). anyway, the game design is what we spent ~2 years searching for and we finally found a game that we earnestly still want to play even after staring at it for so long.

That video just sold me on the game. Looks super fun!

Top Bottom