• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump administration backs 20-week abortion ban

Oersted

trump-mock.jpeg

The administration "strongly supports" the bill and "applauds the House of Representatives for continuing its efforts to secure critical pro-life protections," the Office of Management and Budget wrote in a statement of administration policy.

The bill, sponsored by Rep. Trent Franks (R-Ariz.), will come up for a vote in the House on Tuesday.

It would make it a crime to perform or attempt an abortion after 20 weeks of pregnancy, with the possibility of a fine, up to five years in prison or both.

There are exceptions for rape, incest or to save the life of the woman, and the bill wouldn't penalize women for seeking abortions after 20 weeks.

The bill last passed the House in 2015 but was blocked by Senate Democrats.

More here

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/353533-trump-administration-backs-20-week-abortion-ban?amp

Lock if old

Zolo

This is for show considering it would need 60 votes in the senate. Same for how they could act like repealing Obamacare until it was actually possible.

Keri

Since I feel like many on GAF may not know this, 20 weeks is when most pregnant women have their anatomy scan, which is a detailed ultrasound that looks for signs of birth defects. So, this bill would prevent women from terminating pregnancies where birth defects are detected, almost completely.

neoanarch

I'm kinda fine with it?
Rape, incest, mother life are covered, and 20 weeks give decent time for decision?
Abortions that far along are I think very very rare and only done for health reasons. Its already impossible to find a provider that does it. This just makes it harder for those that do need it to find a safe provider. Its nothing but grandstanding that hurts women. Its bullshit.

massoluk

Banned
Since I feel like many on GAF may not know this, 20 weeks is when most pregnant women have their anatomy scan, which is a detailed ultrasound that looks for signs of birth defects. So, this bill would prevent women from terminating pregnancies where birth defects are detected, completely.
Oh, ok
Then I'm not fine with it

Since I feel like many on GAF may not know this, 20 weeks is when most pregnant women have their anatomy scan, which is a detailed ultrasound that looks for signs of birth defects. So, this bill would prevent women from terminating pregnancies where birth defects are detected, almost completely.

Yeah, that's messed up.

platocplx

So you can be forced to have a child with serious health issues this is cruel for parents and child.

Keri

Oh, ok
Then I'm not fine with it

It's extraordinarily unlikely that a pregnant women would make it to 20 weeks, without knowing she was pregnant or changing her mind about carrying to term. Abortions that happen at that stage are due to the parents receiving really bad news, following the anatomy scan. It's terrible how it works out, already. The anatomy scan isn't perfect. It can notice things that make it more likely there's a defect and that then justifies further testing (which would otherwise risk a miscarriage). Then parents have to decide, do you terminate even if you're not sure? Or do you race to get testing done and hope for the best?

How dare they still pretend to be "pro-life" after they repeatedly tried to take health care away from tens of millions of people against the majority's wishes?

Going by the responses here and seeing that "Oh I didn't know that, that's fucked up" moment happen...it's almost as if...men shouldn't have a say in a woman's body or something crazy like that because 90% of us don't know shit...

Zubz

Banned

That's disgusting. Do we have enough opposition in the Senate to block this? I recall Collins & Murkowski are... humane, so we might have 2 nays on the Republican side, at least.

Some dudes were fine with this in this thread until a woman showed up with facts. Now for lawmakers they might not even have women on the board to point this out, so ignorant men will go through with it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's disgusting. Do we have enough opposition in the Senate to block this? I recall Collins & Murkowski are... humane, so we might have 2 nays on the Republican side, at least.

They need 60 votes for this, it's DOA.

Yeah.

Fuck the GOP & Trump for pushing this swill.

I hate how woman need the approval of dudes to do what that I want with there bodies. Even on this forum you see this happen anytime abortion comes up.

Can we do anything to prevent this Bill?

lush

There needs to be a push to reclaim pro-life imo. Pro-choice and anti-choice need to be how this debate is framed from now on. The current usage of "pro-life" is absolutely laughable and couldn't be farther from the truth.

stressboy

I hate how woman need the approval of dudes to do what that I want with there bodies. Even on this forum you see this happen anytime abortion comes up.

It will never get the 60 votes needed in the Senate. It's as good as dead.

Loxley

OP should probably include the important detail that this thing is largely for show and won't actually be passed since it would require 60 votes in the Senate, which Republicans can't get without Democrat support. And of course no Democrat will touch any anti-abortion bill with a 100-foot poll.

Phased

Don't need to do much, this has no chance of passing (need 60, Rs have 52). It's the definition of a bill sent to the floor to score political points with no downside. They can go into local elections saying they supported a bill that restricts abortions, yet have no fallout because it never got passed.

It's just a grandstanding bill.

I was going to say this myself. 20 weeks is one of the biggest days in a pregnancy, testing wise.

We didn't even tell our extended family about our first child until after this date and the 20 week scan results were clear.

Don't need to do much, this has no chance of passing (need 60, Rs have 52). It's the definition of a bill sent to the floor to score political points with no downside. They can go into local elections saying they supported a bill that restricts abortions, yet have no fallout because it never got passed.

It's just a grandstanding bill.
Our political system is beyond fucked. All that taxpayers money that can be used to help addict/homeless and instead these degenerates use it to get votes.

Oersted

Should be also noted that the amount of abortions after the 20th week is extremely low. It is practically only medical emergencies as you more or less implied.

Keri

I was going to say this myself. 20 weeks is one of the biggest days in a pregnancy, testing wise.

We didn't even tell our extended family until after this date and the 20 week scan was clear.

I couldn't sleep at all, before my 20 week scan. It's really the last and biggest check that most pregnancies have, to give any incite into whether the child is healthy. The 12 week scan checks for a couple things, but the 20 week scan is the BIG one. Getting a clear scan was really the moment where I felt like: "Wow, this is really going to work out, isn't it?"

A friend of mine spoke very emotionally once in front of a crowd about her late term abortion, about what happened after her 20-week tests. About the severe birth defects discovered. About a child with no chance to live, only a chance to be born in terrible pain and then die. She spoke about going through a pregnancy under those terms, about the added mental health challenges to something that - as a woman who's given birth, I'll confirm - can be a physical nightmare. About explaining to everyone, everyone, since pregnant women are approached by random strangers. About bearing that burden for weeks on end (most women give birth between 38 and 41 weeks), knowing everything was hopeless. That she would be carrying, essentially, a corpse. All the while hoping for early labor. For it to end.

She was able to terminate the pregnancy. A law like this might have prevented it, depending on the wording, depending on what's allowed and what isn't, depending on how a group, made up largely of men, might negotiation and trade ideas.

Anyone in favor of a 20-week abortion ban is missing essential knowledge of the way pregnancy is handled in the medical community, and is advocating to strip parents of the right to make informed choices. Anyone in favor of a 20-week abortion ban is asking women to spend four months of their lives, possibly longer, suffering. And for what? For what?

Some dudes were fine with this in this thread until a woman showed up with facts. Now for lawmakers they might not even have women on the board to point this out, so ignorant men will go through with it.

^^^^^^

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Our political system is beyond fucked. All that taxpayers money that can be used to help addict/homeless and instead these degenerates use it to get votes.

Let's be real, this doesn't cost much, if any, money. Complain about actual legislation in regards to misspent money, not bullshit bills that the parties put forward to rally their respective bases, because the Dems do this sort of thing too. We just like their bullshit bills that will never pass better.

Of course, that's not to say you can't complain about this bill. You absolutely should, it's a horrid bill.

StoneFox

It doesn't matter how uncommon abortions are after 20 weeks, the fact should be that people should still have to freedom to choose to get them without fear of consequences. Any bill like this is stupid.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck the GOP's entire pro-birth shitpile.

Don't support proper sex education
Don't support easier access to contraceptives
Don't want to allow women to abort an unwanted pregnancy
Don't want to provide assistance in supporting the child they forced the woman to have

How do they get it wrong every single step of the way?

And the 20 weeks here is a shitty and unnecessary "compromise." The majority of them (and many of their constituents) still want it done away with entirely. And even with exceptions on this arbitrary limit, all you're doing is forcing a woman to defend doing something she probably didn't want to do in the first place. It's demeaning and cruel.

Forward

This is so incredibly, perposterously assholish, it almost makes me want to get a good look over Trump's shoulder to see if he is hiding something just as evil behind this. Grandstanding smoke and mirrors? This will never pass, so one must wonder if it serves any other utility in Agent Orange's evil machinations.

The Pope

I don't like late(ish) abortions personally, if the baby is healthy. Slippery slope.

But it still shouldn't be illegal for a number of justifiable reasons.

Top Bottom