• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump administration backs 20-week abortion ban

Redlining disproportionately prevented people from non-white communities from getting loans, and even though supporters of the practice said it was solely based on the poverty levels of communities banks wanted to avoid, the practice was banned because it was deemed discriminatory (particularly against black people). Just because some people say they have one thing in mind doesn't mean they can't be engaging in a bigoted practice.

And I agree. There is no doubt many pro-lifers are sexist. My point is it's not inherently mysogonistic.

Sorry for double post.

I'll never understand Republicans like this.

The so called "pro life" crowd will sure fight for your ass to exit comb, but once your out it's a big middle finger to you, and everyone else in your life.

Banning drug use is not inherently racist.

It's cute* how you think you can separate and abstract one strand of a discussion an argument and look at it as though it exists outside the larger web of socio-cultural entanglements.

*it's not; it's ridiculous and a waste of time

It's cute* how you think you can separate and abstract one strand of a discussion an argument and look at it as though it exists outside the larger web of socio-cultural entanglements.

*it's not; it's ridiculous and a waste of time

So you think every drug law in the world is inherently racist? Really?

Banning drug use is not inherently racist.

Theoretically. But this is terribly ignorant of the racist and manipulative history of drug laws.

It's more or less proven Nixon used drug laws specifically against his political enemies.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/23/politics/john-ehrlichman-richard-nixon-drug-war-blacks-hippie/index.html said:
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people," former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman told Harper's writer Dan Baum for the April cover story published Tuesday.

"You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin. And then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities," Ehrlichman said. "We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."

And the whole history of drug laws is filled with discrimination and racist ideas. To pretend otherwise is ignorant.

If we really wanted to stop drug use, we'd increase health care funding for drug problems and create new social programs to deal with it.

The War on Drugs has failed spectacularly at stopping drug use. 🤔 But it's sure good at mass incarceration.If you want certain people put in jail, you make certain drugs illegal.

Theoretically. But this is terribly ignorant of the racist and manipulative history of drug laws.

It's more or less proven Nixon used drug laws specifically against his political enemies.

And the whole history of drug laws is filled with discrimination and racist ideas. To pretend otherwise is ignorant.

If we really wanted to stop drug use, we'd increase health care funding for drug problems and create new social programs to deal with it.

The War on Drugs has failed spectacularly at stopping drug use. �� But it's sure good at mass incarceration.If you want certain people put in jail, you make certain drugs illegal.

Like I said, there are many sexist pro-lifers as there are many racists among drug prohibitionists. But just because someone supports drug prohibitionist doesn't make them anti-black, just like someone who supports an abortion ban isn't necessarily anti-women. A lot of pro-choicers make be all pro-lifers seem like sexists and that's what I disagree with.

Like I said, there are many sexist pro-lifers as there are many racists among drug prohibitionists. But just because someone supports drug prohibitionist doesn't make them anti-black, just like someone who supports an abortion ban isn't necessarily anti-women. A lot of pro-choicers make be all pro-lifers seem like sexists and that's what I disagree with.

I mean, that's basically making the distinction that Drug Prohibition isn't intrinsically racist, but they happen to be historically racist.

Sure. They aren't necessarily racists, but they do support historically racist laws.

Laws don't exist in a bubble, it's always been a problematic aspect of drug laws even if you support them for good reason. You have to face the potential negative aspects of the law.

I'd agree that this us vs them mentality is worth shying away from. No not all drug law proponents are intrinsically racist, I'd agree with that.

But it's also worth recognizing that people are extremely wary of these laws for demonstrable and often racial reasons.

Especially since the reason for being wary is that this whole problem started by politicans twisting laws that sounded good into causing harm to people.

Top Bottom