• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump agrees to 3-month debt limit increase

Armaros

That wasn't directed at you. That was directed at people. People like Trump supporters and the GOP. I think one of our leaders doing it isn't a great look, but whatever.

And I voted for Hillary, but nice job adding to your real adult convo by throwing out baseless assumptions.

We have North Korea, Two Hurricanes, Government Shutdown, Neo-Nazis, Dreamers.

But this is the thing that will blow up and hurt Democrats by becoming news.

Still, he will change his mind tomorrow to get back in good graces with R's. He is not for anything. Whatever in the moment.
Then Republicans are still pissed at Trump for eating up precious time.

He also quasi-endorsed Heidi Heitkamp today. Hard to walk that one back!

XZNGM0I.png

NoName999

Chuck making a deal with the devil, he will just stab you in the back later.

So Trump either:

1) is forced to sign a more liberal bill than what the GOP would have present

2) signs no bill presented to him. Government shuts down. And the suspected Blue Wave become a confirmed Blue Harvey-Irma.

If this is backstabbing, backstab away, Trump lol

Armaros

So Trump either:

1) is forced to sign a more liberal bill than what the GOP would have present

2) signs no bill presented to him. Government shuts down. And the suspected Blue Wave become a confirmed Blue Harvey-Irma.

If this is backstabbing, backstab away, Trump lol

Its a 5th dimensional self-backstab ploy.

Nipo

Great! the more time congress spends debating debt ceiling increases the less time republicans ahve to pass other legislation. Can we make it a monthly thing instead of every 3?

Cerium

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/democrats-roll-trump-on-short-term-debt-ceiling

Moments after news broke that President Donald Trump had abruptly sided with Democrats on a short-term debt ceiling increase, hurricane relief and a federal funding bill over the unanimous opposition of Republicans, a wave of cheers and applause emanated from the room on the second floor of the Capitol building where Senate Democrats were meeting over lunch.

When they emerged, however, Democrats were coy about what the burst of celebration was for.

”Oh, was there applause?" Sen. Bob Casey (D-PA) said with a smile. ”Maybe they were clapping for somebody's birthday. Who knows?"

”We clap for a lot of things in our caucus," Sen. Chris Murphy (D-CT) deadpanned.

While playing down the political victory they had just scored—winning all of their demands from a Republican president—the Democrats acknowledged that the deal gives them leverage down the road to extract concessions from the Republican majority, such as protections for immigrants now at risk of losing their DACA protections.

”You bet," Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR) responded when asked by TPM if the three-month timeline gives Democrats an upper hand in future negotiations over DACA. ”We're going to have the chance over the next few weeks to talk about how these young people really represent the best of America. This gives us a chance to make the case for good policy, and good policy is the best politics."

Casey agreed, telling TPM: ”We've often done short term deals on a number of things, not just CRs. It's one way to keep everyone at the table."

Asked about President's Trump decision Wednesday to side with Democrats over his own party, Casey laughed. ”Well, that doesn't happen very often," he said.

Though mostly somber following the White House meeting, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer allowed himself a small amount of gloating when speaking to reporters on Wednesday, saying of Trump: ”To his credit, he went with the better argument."
Rank-and-file Republicans were more open about their displeasure.

”Patience is wearing thin on short-term funding of this government," Sen. Thom Tillis (R-NC) told reporters. ”It's just horrible. It's fiscal malpractice. It's just gotta end."

Though Tillis hesitated when asked if Democrats out-maneuvered Republicans on this deal, which could pass the Senate as early as Thursday, he grudgingly admitted: ”For people who want to keep score, maybe that's true."

This is so bewildering because trump is getting literally no things out of this besides hurting Ryan and McConnell. Pelosi and schumer aren't going to assume this is a done deal til the ink is dry and aren't gonna assume trump will do the same thing later.

That wasn't directed at you. That was directed at people. People like Trump supporters and the GOP. I think one of our leaders doing it isn't a great look, but whatever.

And I voted for Hillary, but nice job adding to your real adult convo by throwing out baseless assumptions.

It felt like it was directed at everyone who wasn't upset at Schumer. Which is why I was snarky. I apologize if I misread the statement.

That being said ... Schumer is the man. That pic is great. Like everyone in here is giving him props but you.

This is so bewildering because trump is getting literally no things out of this besides hurting Ryan and McConnell. Pelosi and schumer aren't going to assume this is a done deal til the ink is dry and aren't gonna assume trump will do the same thing later.

Trump is getting "payback" against Ryan and McConnell. That's all he gives a shit about.

When they emerged, however, Democrats were coy about what the burst of celebration was for.

“Oh, was there applause?” Sen. Bob Casey (D-PA) said with a smile. “Maybe they were clapping for somebody’s birthday. Who knows?”

“We clap for a lot of things in our caucus,” Sen. Chris Murphy (D-CT) deadpanned.

Lol

Isn't the top complaint from most average Joe Sixpack is that there is a lack of bipartisanship?

A bipartisan deal is made and we immediately go back to keeping score and declaring victory over each other?

Huh wonder why there is a lack of bipartisanship. Hyuk hyuk.

Game Guru

This is so bewildering because trump is getting literally no things out of this besides hurting Ryan and McConnell.

This is Donald J. Trump. The guy pretty much ran for president because Obama made fun of him at one of the White House Correspondence Dinners, and made it is his mission since becoming president to undo everything Obama has done and destroy anything Obama has supported. Trump can hold a grudge and right now his grudges are aimed at Ryan and McConnell. It's likely that hurting Ryan and McConnell is what Trump wanted to do.

JettDash

Isn't the top complaint from most average Joe Sixpack is that there is a lack of bipartisanship?

A bipartisan deal is made and we immediately go back to keeping score and declaring victory over each other?

Objectively this is total victory for Democrats. Trump doest get shit out of it except for screwing over Ryan and Turtle.

This point would be more valid if Trump actually gave a damn about bipartisanship here.

There's not much actual bipartisanship going on here.

This is Democrats getting exactly what they want while every single Republican politician that isn't Trump (who's acting partly out of pettiness, because of course) stew about it.

studyguy

Bending over the GOP and spanking them with 0 concessions is not something I expected today. Fully expected them to go into the discussion on limits to go into some awful spiral of GOP opposition.

androvsky

What's amazing is that we were able to leverage his pettiness to our advantage. If the GOP and Trump keep butting heads, I'm curious if he tries to reach across the isle to caucus with dems again. He wants a win so so bad.

The Democrats are just as likely to deliver the (incredibly vague) health care plan that he campaigned on, and they're happy to save his bacon from the DACA repeal backlash by making it law. And on health care, I think Trump's already hinted at working with them.

Of course, nothing will turn Trump's core base faster than working with the Dems, which will give the GOP room to impeach along with the Democrats, so it's a bit of a dangerous path he's treading.

diaspora

No Dem should be looking at Trump like that. Hell, no one in general, but that's asking too much because people are idiots. I don't care what they got in return. You nod your head and say "thank you Mr. President" and continue about your business, happy that you were able to get something across this diabolical pussy's infantile administration, and don't give him an inch of leverage personally. This is politics. Business. And what Trump is good at is making business personal.

You don't look at him like you want him to go to a baseball game with you and that you didn't call for his impeachment. That's just Trump working his little petty game, that works with little petty people.

I can already see it now. "Chuck Schumer, who nearly kissed me when I agreed to his debt ceiling proposal, now wants to oppose our tax reform bill. What crooks dems are. Slimy Schumer!"

Democrats can't even achieve total victory without some segments of the base getting mad about something.

NoName999

Even when the Democrats pull a gambit rivaling that of David Xanatos and all for the good of the average American, it's STILL not enough for some people?

What do you fucking want?

YourMaster

I don't get it,.... why does Trumps support matter here? If republicans have the majority, don't the democrats need republican votes for whatever bill, plan or proposal they put forward?

KHarvey16

So it's a resistance until someone flatters us? What a strong message the dems are pushing for us to keep beating. Resist resist, but suck his cock if it helps.

Flatters us? What the hell are you even saying. This was the democrats getting everything they wanted and you're mad they might have smiled. There's something wrong with your understanding of reality.

I don't get it,.... why does Trumps support matter here? If republicans have the majority, don't the democrats need republican votes for whatever bill, plan or proposal they put forward?

The GOP have shown that they can basically pass nothing of their own with that majority, so it's either pass literally nothing this entire term and get voted the fuck out in 2018 or at least try to compromise with Dems and get something passed and hope they can keep their jobs.

Shauni

Even when the Democrats pull a gambit rivaling that of David Xanatos and all for the good of the average American, it's STILL not enough for some people?

What do you fucking want?

Yeah, I really don't get it. Is this some weird purity test thing? Because this is a victory with no real concession. Trump handed this one to us is the best part, just to troll his own party. How anyone can look at this in a bad light is baffling.

JettDash

Trump is the Republican President, him supporting a bill puts huge pressure on Congressional Republicans to vote for it.

Coulter is pissed!

Ann Coulter, the conservative author of "In Trump We Trust," lambasted the president on Wednesday for his suggestion that he could revisit his decision on the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program.

"Possible 2020 slogan: 'I broke my promises, betrayed my friends & used my office to help my family, but, hey -- at least I'm not Hillary!'" Coulter said.

Coulter also went on a tweet storm on Tuesday after Trump's DACA decision, suggesting the president was "betraying" voters and had weakened his hard-line stance on immigration issues from the 2016 campaign.

DarkKyo

LMAO.

I bet Chuck laid on thick that grandiose New Yorker accent and puffed Trump's ego up a bit. ez af, orange cow is such a muppet for everyone. Too bad Republican law makers aren't smart enough to play him.

Also I bet Trump is loving the slightly positive coverage of him siding with Democrats on channels like CNN portraying him as rebellious.

Top Bottom