• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump: Firing Flynn was a mistake

Zolo

He was also upset that Sessions recused himself.
He's probably REALLY upset about that now.

He genuinely doesnt understand why his administration cant get away with doings things illegally when hes been doing things illegally for 70 years, and has been rewarded greatly for it.

He probably also thinks it's just how politicians do things including Obama and Hillary.

Zaph

Is he in love with Flynn? I can't see any other explanation for why he keeps burying himself deeper for this idiot

Flynn travelled the world making money from foreign governments thanks to his years working for the US government.

Trump probably sees Flynn as his strategist for him to do the same.

Zolo

Only speculating here, but I think either Flynn has dirt on Trump and he's afraid that he'll flip and spill the beans or Flynn was the key piece of the Russian Collusion and without him, Trump doesn't know what to do.
http://us.cnn.com/2017/05/19/politics/michael-flynn-donald-trump-russia-influence/index.html
One major concern for Obama administration officials was the subject of conversations between Flynn and Kislyak that took place shortly after Obama slapped new sanctions on Russia for meddling in the election. Sources tell CNN that Flynn told Kislyak that the Trump administration would look favorably on a decision by Russia to hold off on retaliating with its own sanctions. The next day, Putin said he wouldn't retaliate.

VtCfV1f.jpg

Flynn was the contact between Trump and Russia during his campaign. It's entirely possible Flynn could confess to this.

Ogodei

There's something squirrely about this (beyond the general weirdness of it). Trump shows loyalty to no-one. Once he cuts you loose you get quickly dumped into the memory hole (like Paul Manafort, for instance, as the former campaign manager becomes just some guy who hung around the campaign for a bit). Why start caring, about the first person who's not one of his kids, right now?

Frankly, just sounds like he's senile.

Not a chance. Too many events planned well in advance. His people would never have any idea what kind of condition he would be in by the time those events came up. If he had some form of dementia we would have seen it at one of his public events by now.

Zolo

Also remembered that one funny story back in February.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-administration-leaks_us_589a45f1e4b04061313a1fbb
WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump was confused about the dollar: Was it a strong one that’s good for the economy? Or a weak one?

So he made a call ― except not to any of the business leaders Trump brought into his administration or even to an old friend from his days in real estate. Instead, he called his national security adviser, retired Lt. Gen. Mike Flynn, according to two sources familiar with Flynn’s accounts of the incident.

Flynn has a long record in counterintelligence but not in macroeconomics. And he told Trump he didn’t know, that it wasn’t his area of expertise, that, perhaps, Trump should ask an economist instead.

Trump was not thrilled with that response ― but that may have been a function of the time of day. Trump had placed the call at 3 a.m., according to one of Flynn’s retellings ― although neither the White House nor Flynn’s office responded to requests for confirmation about that detail.

Becoming president was a mistake

I really don't think he wants to be POTUS. He wanted Hillary to win and expected her to do so, he would much rather campaign for 4 years against her and play the victim. Being POTUS is a major pita for him. He would get all the perceived glory with none of the actual work.

theWB27

I really don't think he wants to be POTUS. He wanted Hillary to win and expected her to do so, he would much rather campaign for 4 years against her and play the victim. Being POTUS is a major pita for him. He would get all the perceived glory with none of the actual work.

That's nullified by his campaigning for 2020.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I see the senile and Alzheimer's idea is becoming mainstream.

This was planted by stone last week.

It's going to be used as his defense of treason.

RPGCrazied

Yep. He misses the old life. Hell, election night when he won, he is mad/sad as the results came in. There is a photo but can't find it.

kess

He's probably internalized Fox News as his way of thinking, and everybody who goes after Flynn is his enemy, and why oh why can't we be freinds with our allies, the Russians? Why? Why would they ever lie? It's the media that must be wrong!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
With a pretty good feeling that this mess will eventually be over, I can finally allow myself to just laugh at all the dumb shit Trump says :lol.

JohnsonUT

I agree, but i just don't agree he doesn't want to be president.
I think he wants to be president as he imagined the office. Meeting leaders, making deals with other countries, and barking out orders that get done immediately. He didn't want to be president as it really is, hours of crafting policy, battling with Congress, lots and lots of reading, being ethical.

I see the senile and Alzheimer's idea is becoming mainstream.

This was planted by stone last week.

It's going to be used as his defense of treason.

I said this months ago but couldn't find my own post to quote because I don't know how to search for things properly.

But what I said back then was it's going to be hilarious when Trump tries to win an oscar for pretending to have Alzheimer's. Coming out to trial with his dick hanging out the fly, whilst he's repeating "it was them" and "where am i?"

theWB27

I think he wants to be president as he imagined the office. Meeting leaders, making deals with other countries, and barking out orders that get done immediately. He didn't want to be president as it really is, hours of crafting policy, battling with Congress, lots and lots of reading, being ethical.

I can agree with this

VariantX

He was also upset that Sessions recused himself. He genuinely doesnt understand why his administration cant get away with doings things illegally when hes been doing things illegally for 70 years, and has been rewarded greatly for it.

That privilege in effect. Firing Flynn or not has zero bearing on the shit he's done. Was warned what Flynn was doing was illegal, he just didn't give a fuck, hired him anyway. To Trump, laws and standards(and taxes) are things that don't apply to you if you're "smart". Talk to the right people, make the right offers, have the right leverage, and have the right friends/connections and those obstacles that block others no longer exist for you. You cannot backroom your way through public office, at least not as clumsily as he has anyway.

fantomena

It drives me nuts how stupid he is. I mean really Trump, he is ignorant, a scumbag, an asshole and stupid. But the past few days he has been stupid on levels I never could comprehend a president could be.

Omadahl

Banned
Maybe he looked into Flynn's eyes and saw his soul. He can tell he's a good man. Oh wait, wrong asshole that tried to destroy our country.

abundant

It drives me nuts how stupid he is. I mean really Trump, he is ignorant, a scumbag, an asshole and stupid. But the past few days he has been stupid on levels I never could comprehend a president could be.

I would like to know his IQ level, because Trump has been making way too many mistakes that a god damn 5th grader would know not to make.

I second-guess nearly every decision I've ever made as well. I'm starting to empathise with the man, give him a break

Firing a man that risked pitching your country into an abysmal downward spiral due to the fact that he worked, works with and would sell out his nation to a hostile foreign power. Classic relateable flub.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Frankly, just sounds like he's senile.
The more you read about Trump, the less interesting the man is. He's not a cunning businessman and he's barely a politician. He's just an arrogant and egotistical yet rather insecure rich old man with some corrosive prejudices and no strong opinions on anything political. Due to this, he's easily manipulated into awful situations, gets himself in trouble whenever he speaks off and competent foreign officials can get him to handstand into a bridge.

At this point I'm willing to believe that any form of Russian collusion is going to be rather simplistic instead of a huge, complex conspiracy. Maybe they just provided some funding or coordination. Maybe they didn't even deal directly with him in any other way than stroking his ego with grandiose promises of increased personal glory.

He's basically a base, venal senior who grew up with a silver spoon in his mouth and some brilliant, inherent talent for shownmanship. He would have been a terrific fit in some European dynasties from three centuries ago. These days, he's just a clown who happened to stumble into office.

The more you read about Trump, the less interesting the man is. He's not a cunning businessman and he's barely a politician. He's just an arrogant and egotistical yet rather insecure rich old man with some corrosive prejudices and no strong opinions on anything political. Due to this, he's easily manipulated into awful situations, gets himself in trouble whenever he speaks off and competent foreign officials can get him to handstand into a bridge.

At this point I'm willing to believe that any form of Russian collusion is going to be rather simplistic instead of a huge, complex conspiracy. Maybe they just provided some funding or coordination. Maybe they didn't even deal directly with him in any other way than stroking his ego with grandiose promises of increased personal glory.

He's basically a base, venal senior who grew up with a silver spoon in his mouth and some brilliant, inherent talent for shownmanship. He would have been a terrific fit in some European dynasties from three centuries ago. These days, he's just a clown who happened to stumble into office.

pffft

He tells it like it is.

http://us.cnn.com/2017/05/19/politics/michael-flynn-donald-trump-russia-influence/index.html

VtCfV1f.jpg

Flynn was the contact between Trump and Russia during his campaign. It's entirely possible Flynn could confess to this.

This tweet makes a lot of sense if you read it as Donnie praising himself.

Flynn negotiated with Putin to not overreact to the hacking sanctions. It gets announced and Trump puts out the tweet because that's the closest thing he can do to pat himself on the back without giving away the whole game.

It's almost kind of sweet that old man Trump wants so badly to remain loyal to his friend due to said friend's loyalty to him, except Trump is a racist with probable early dementia and Flynn is a psychotic conspiracy theorist.

_Ryo_

Likely thinks that if he had not fired him then the investigation would not go anywhere. The man is an idiot

rogue74

Trump thinks that by doing this he will ensure Flynn's loyalty and prevent being thrown under the bus.

Good luck with that.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Is he setting up an insanity/dementia defense or something?

No, he's just an ignorant dotty old racist traitor.

Top Bottom