• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump: "NFL owners are scared of their players"

lush

NFL team owners are hesitant to stop their players from kneeling in protest during the national anthem because “they’re afraid of their players,” President Donald Trump said Wednesday, insisting that they should nonetheless ban the practice league-wide.

“I have so many friends that are owners. And They’re in a box. I mean, I’ve spoken to a couple of them. They say, ‘we are in a situation where we have to do something,’” Trump said in an interview with Fox News’s “Fox & Friends” that was taped Wednesday and aired Thursday morning. “I think they're afraid of their players, you want to know the truth, and I think it's disgraceful. And they’ve got to be tough and they’ve got to be smart.”

“The NFL cannot disrespect our country. They cannot disrespect our flag or our national anthem. And they can't have people sitting down or kneeling down during our national anthem,” the president said. “I’ve seen a couple stadiums over the last few weeks, there are a lot of empty seats. I couldn't even believe it. But When it comes to the respect of our nation, when it comes to the respect of our anthem and our flag, they have no choice. You have to have people stand with respect.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/28/trump-nfl-owners-controversy-243245

The dog whistles are deafening atp.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
This whole story is mindblowing for me.
Why does it matter so much how people position themselves for a national anthem? If I was watching a hockey match in Montreal and the canadian national anthem was playing and I want to stay sitting on my seat, no one would bat an eye.

Patryn

I'm guessing he's seen pictures of the LA and 49er's stadiums and totally misunderstanding WHY those seats are empty.

Bronx-Man

Banned
It’s the other way around. If NFL players had more power like NBA stars do, they would’ve skipped the meaningless platitudes on unity and told Trump to fuck off personally.

Why does it matter so much how people position themselves for a national anthem? If I was watching a hockey match in Montreal and the canadian national anthem was playing and I want to stay sitting on my seat, no one would bat an eye.

You know how people say "It's american as baseball or apple pie?"

Well football has replaced that.

Now it's more "American as Football, opiate addiction, or hating people darker than alabaster"

Which, to be fair, the latter has always been there, it's just gone unsaid.

Karkador

Banned
This is something you say about out of control kids, or dogs, not grown men.

They are "owned" though, I guess is what Trump is trying to say.

Because MURICA.

Care to explain why for someone that doesn't follow the sport?

Because Football just isn't big in California. The 49ers are terrible, as are the Chargers and Rams, and nobody wants to see a shitty team.

“I have so many friends that are owners. And They’re in a box. I mean, I’ve spoken to a couple of them. They say, ‘we are in a situation where we have to do something,’” Trump said in an interview with Fox News’s “Fox & Friends” that was taped Wednesday and aired Thursday morning. “I think they're afraid of their players, you want to know the truth, and I think it's disgraceful. And they’ve got to be tough and they’ve got to be smart.”

This sounds like something a Slave Owner would say.

It really gives you an insight into this man's mind. He called black people "the blacks" and "look at my black friend over there".

He really sees african americans as inferiors in every way, as in a master and slave type relationship.

Why in the fuck is he so concerned about a business he doesn't run? Your're running a god damn country, shut the fuck up about some sports league you have nothing to do with and do your fucking job! Ffs there are people in Puerto Rico who are suffering and here he is just proudly wanting the world to know how racist he is.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'll be very curious to see what happens in Green Bay tomorrow, with Aaron Rodgers asking the fans to take part as well.

Edit: Tonight actually on Thursday Night Football

Land of the free. Of course they can disrespect the country if they wanted to.

I mean, that's not what they're doing, but they totally 100% can, no matter how fragile your ego is 45.

slit

I couldn't even believe it. But When it comes to the respect of our nation, when it comes to the respect of our anthem and our flag, they have no choice. You have to have people stand with respect.”

Evidently they do, although I'm sure he'd love nothing more than to arrest them.

VariantX

Meanwhile, hes barely said anything about Puerto Rico and the potential crisis happening to fellow American citizens. He is just laser focused on his scaredy-cat rich friends.

zeemumu

Shame that he shows more investment in stopping football players from kneeling than he does in stopping white supremacists from forming torch mobs.

Loudninja

Oh give me a damn break, the NFL players do their job unlike you.

Oh but those first 4 or 5 minutes really burn racist people up.

RinsFury

I never would have imagined we'd be living in a time where the President was this petty and moronic. Thanks republicans.

facelike

Why in the fuck is he so concerned about a business he doesn't run? Your're running a god damn country, shut the fuck up about some sports league you have nothing to do with and do your fucking job! Ffs there are people in Puerto Rico who are suffering and here he is just proudly wanting the world to know how racist he is.

He's just trying to excite his racist base and draw attention from Russia stuff. Race baiting is the easiest option for his base to roll with.

Just hope it backfires but not expecting it to do so.

nded

Pretty fucking chilling that the President of the United States thinks it's bad that NFL franchise owners don't have complete and utter dominion over players.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Man, sounding more and more like some wannabe slavery shit to him everyday.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

It doesn't. People are using it as an excuse because they don't like what's being protested. It's the same reason you got all the "all lives matter" nonsense when BLM started up, it's the same reason you get "what about black on black crime" and all that nonsense.

Crazyorloco

How is this still news? I can't with this all. So many other things happening in the world lol trump needs to get out. I don't remember so much bull shit from the last 10 presidents we have had.

This all makes me angry lol

Patryn

Care to explain why for someone that doesn't follow the sport?

For the 49ers: The people who designed the stadium did a shit job, so one side of the stadium is just getting FRIED by the sun. To the point that they're already talking about ways to provide some shade for the seats Also, they're fucking terrible right now.

For the Chargers and Rams, you have the double factor that the teams aren't great combined with the fact that (especially for the Chargers) nobody asked for this. The one team that LA seems to really love is the Raiders, and they got denied so they're heading off to Vegas. Hell, even the mayor of LA basically said he had no idea why the Chargers were moving to LA and he didn't think there was the support for the team needed.

LA had long been a threat against cities so that teams would get stadiums, but a lot of people forget that LA has had a lot of teams in the past, but they all moved. It may just be that LA doesn't really care about football.

slit

How is this still news? I can't with this all. So many other things happening in the world lol trump needs to get out. I don't remember so much bull shit from the last 10 presidents we have had.

This all makes me angry lol

Trump is stoking the fire on purpose because it plays to his fake patriotic base AND keeps attention away from much more pressing issues.

zeemumu

Why is he still banging on about NFL players taking a knee, is something about to drop?

md.jpg

Top Bottom