• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump: "NFL owners are scared of their players"

abundant

I'm curious how this lot handles the fact that it was a green beret who suggested taking a knee in the first place. I haven't seen any direct acknowledgment of it - do they just ignore it?

Of course they do, because once they acknowledge it, the case of "the NFL protesting the flag and the anthem" is shown to be false.

For those that don't know, Colin Kaepernick's original way of protest was to sit out the national anthem. A fellow football player who was a green beret suggested to Kaep that it would be better if he keeled during the anthem, so no one could accuse him of disrespecting the flag. Kaep agreed with him and that is how this whole thing began.

hbkdx12

I'm curious how this lot handles the fact that it was a green beret who suggested taking a knee in the first place. I haven't seen any direct acknowledgment of it - do they just ignore it?
That would focus attention back to why the protest was started in the first place and we see their working overtime to co-opt the issue completely so yeah, they ignore it.

If I was a NFL owner who had donated millions to Trump's campaign all for him to blast me and say I'm scared of my own players, I'd feel pretty damn dumb right about now. And I would have no one else to blame but myself.

Shadybiz

Conveniently forgotten. Most of us Americans have the memories of goldfish.

hbkdx12

If I was a NFL owner who had donated millions to Trump's campaign all for him to blast me and say I'm scared of my own players, I'd feel pretty damn dumb right about now. And I would have no one else to blame but myself.
It's a great PR opportunity for them and they're treating it as such. Don't cry for them. If this shit all blows over for them the way they want they'll be having drinks and shaking hands with trump in no time

He's just attempting to put the two against one another, and of course the old white guys that own the teams aren't gonna let the public think them to be weak or powerless.

Expect some stupid reactions and "demands" coming down on teams and players.

Again, Trump attempting to change the narrative to shift the focus of this whole thing.

linkboy

They ignore it.

Here's the deal with conservatives, they use military members to push their agenda, but they don't give two actual shits about them.

They'll send us (I was in the Air Force for 12 years) to war, fuck up our minds and bodies, and then won't give us the medical support we need afterwards. They're the reason why the VA is a mess, but they won't allocate the resources to fix it.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Yo can this dude just shut the fuck up for 48 hours? Like, please. I never make posts like this really but god damn shut up fuck man SHUT UP.

ZOONAMI

Trump admin is just using this as a decoy so they don’t have to talk about PR, failed healthcare bill, Russians, etc.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
This whole thing is red meat for Trump because it's not just any old distraction; he knows his base loses their minds for the defense of blind nationalism and deification the flag.

So should all of the people grabbing beers, going to the bathroom, and playing on their phones during the national anthem be kicked out of the stadium?

Dredd97

and what with twitter trialling a 280 character limit for tweets, it boggles the mind how Trump will use his favourite weapon...

He's not going to beat out Jackson for most racist President, but he doesn't see the harm in trying.

Shit, actual slave owning Presidents come across as less racist. It's unbelievable.

Dredd97

So should all of the people grabbing beers, going to the bathroom, and playing on their phones during the national anthem be kicked out of the stadium?

I wonder how many of the fox news 'reporters' do this on a regular basis, then cry foul on tv when others do it...

isn't it about time you lot banned fox news on the ground it's not actually a news service? (I'm a brit)

abundant

isn't it about time you lot banned fox news on the ground it's not actually a news service? (I'm a brit)

Pretty hard (next to impossible) to do, seeing how Fox News is a successful propaganda machine for the Right, who put party above country all the time.

Dredd97

Pretty hard (next to impossible) to do, seeing how Fox News is a successful propaganda machine for the Right, who put party above country all the time.

yeah i was sort of joking when i type that reply.. besides, news or not, it would fall under free speech anyway..

you can see why it's Trump's go to news source though.. which is weird, because if any news outlet could be accused of peddling fake news, Fox news would be at the top of most lists...

I wonder how many of the fox news 'reporters' do this on a regular basis, then cry foul on tv when others do it...

I think that would actually cause Civil War 2 to break out.

Vagabundo

they should pull down their jocks and moon the stadium during the anthem. In fact mooning Trump should become a thing, as a protest.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
For those that don't know, Colin Kaepernick's original way of protest was to sit out the national anthem. A fellow football player who was a green beret suggested to Kaep that it would be better if he keeled during the anthem, so no one could accuse him of disrespecting the flag. Kaep agreed with him and that is how this whole thing began.
So it's a very deliberately gentle and respectful way to protest, and of course all the racists go fucking ballistic.

Amazing.

Kinyou

Of course they do, because once they acknowledge it, the case of "the NFL protesting the flag and the anthem" is shown to be false.

It's kind of crazy that kneeling is even seen as disrespect. Like... that's what you used to do in front of kings.

It's the tamest protest ever and people are going nuts

jstripes

Banned
Trump is stoking the fire on purpose because it plays to his fake patriotic base AND keeps attention away from much more pressing issues.

...and, if the Russia stuff is to believed, it draws further divisions in American society. A chronically dysfunctional USA was part of their geopolitical plan from 20 years ago.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
IMO, it's good that he's noticing this so much... I think? I mean what's the point of protesting something if everyone just brushes it off and ignores it. The controversy generated by this is what draws the attention to the cause, and I think the attention wouldn't be there nearly as much if they decided to start kneeling only after the anthem was over, or something like that.

IMO, it's good that he's noticing this so much... I think? I mean what's the point of protesting something if everyone just brushes it off and ignores it. The controversy generated by this is what draws the attention to the cause, and I think the attention wouldn't be there nearly as much if they decided to start kneeling only after the anthem was over, or something like that.

The conern is if people start arguing about disrespecting the anthem or "protesting trump" and not the actual police brutalilty and racial injustice.

Top Bottom