• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump, Pence meeting in New York on Cabinet picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

President-elect Donald Trump planned to meet with Vice President-elect Mike Pence in New York on Tuesday to discuss key appointments as moderate Republican Mike Rogers was jettisoned from the transition team.

The departure of Rogers, a former congressman who was chairman of the House of Representatives intelligence committee, indicated Trump may be leaning away from some establishment figures as Pence takes over the transition team.

"Our work will provide a strong foundation for the new transition team leadership as they move into the post-election phase, which naturally is incorporating the campaign team in New York who drove President-elect Trump to an incredible victory last Tuesday," Rogers said in a statement.

Rogers, who worked on the transition team led by New Jersey Governor Chris Christie for six months, said he would continue to advise Trump. Pence took over the transition leadership from Christie last week.

Trump and Pence will be "reviewing a number of names for key jobs" during the meeting at Trump Tower in New York as lists for the leadership positions begin to narrow, Trump spokesman Jason Miller said.

"If the vice president-elect is getting together with the president-elect to discuss names, then I would say that it's serious, obviously," he said on Monday.

Trump, a businessman who has never held public office, and the Pence-led transition team are working on picking members of his Cabinet and the heads of federal agencies.

Tuesday's meeting comes as former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, a longtime Trump friend and supporter, emerged as a leading candidate to be U.S. secretary of state.

"Well, that's possible," Trump adviser Kellyanne Conway teased on Fox News on Tuesday, when asked about the Giuliani report.

John Bolton, who served as U.S. ambassador to the United Nations under President George W. Bush, was also under consideration for the high-profile job, a source familiar with the situation told Reuters on Monday.

Giuliani became one of Trump's closest advisers during the campaign, functioning as a vocal defender on cable news programs and introducing him at many rallies. Giuliani has also been mentioned as a possible attorney general or homeland security secretary.

Trump's choice of Republican Party insider Reince Priebus to be White House chief of staff was heralded as an indication he wants to work with members of Congress, where a number of Republicans had opposed his candidacy.

People who received the calls, which included rank-and-file members as well as leaders, said the main message was that the Trump administration expects a very close relationship with Capitol Hill Republicans, Politico reported.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-idUSKBN13A1O7?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

sazzy

He's busy tweeting in NYC

GF6T3J.png

Toxi

Banned
He's busy tweeting in NYC

GF6T3J.png
And Trump just denounced the Electoral College on 60 minutes a few days ago.

It's like Trump is mocking anyone who believes anything he says.

On a side note, Trump winning Florida despite not campaigning there and dealing with record Democrat turnout is fucking bizarre.

Blader

The fact that the same group of people are somehow in the running for multiple, vastly different jobs is telling that they have no idea what they're doing.

Beefy

On a side note, Trump winning Florida despite not campaigning there and dealing with record Democrat turnout is fucking bizarre.

Yet people still want to believe him when he says something postive.....

Kusagari

He campaigned in FL a ton. I don't know why he listed it.

He did a ton of TV advertising in Florida the last few weeks.

Toxi

Banned
So you're saying the only time he has an asshole is when he takes a dump?
Yes.
He campaigned in FL a ton. I don't know why he listed it.
He did a ton of TV advertising in Florida the last few weeks.
Thanks, my mistake.

Florida's result was still fucking bizarre. The reason everyone was saying Clinton got this when Florida was first being counted was because she was doing better than Obama... And then the panhandle happened.

JackDT

Every time he tweets, I'm even more embarrassed that we've given the highest status in America to this dweeb

Terrified here. His ego is so fragile that days after becoming President he can't resist doing stuff like this. What is he going to do in an actual crisis when he feels like he is under attack?

fixedpoint

Terrified here. His ego is so fragile that days after becoming President he can't resist doing stuff like this. What is he going to do in an actual crisis when he feels like he is under attack?
ugh forever

He's also already threatened to shoot people in NYC, which doesn't seem very neighborly

FyreWulff

Technically he's not necessarily wrong. But also his campaign would have to be less racist. I agree with him more on tweets where he mocked electoral college.

He's the first EC-but-not-PV winner to actually say directly that they love the EC and it's great and genius and basically going "BUT LOOK I TECHNICALLY WON".

Bush didn't dwell on it, because he knew it was prudent to not bring it up.

DrArchon

Watch him want to run the country from Trump Tower in NYC.

Hasn't it already been suggested that he'd just spend weekdays in DC and weekends either at Trump Tower or one of his golf courses?

I bet that'd go over real well if a crisis popped up. And I'm sure you wouldn't hear a peep out of everyone that complained about Obama taking off as much time as he did.

mnannola

Can someone make a Trump Cycle picture, similar to the Sonic Cycle?

Trump Tweets > I get depressed > I start getting hopeful > Trump Tweets

knicks

He literally said it wasn't fair on 60 Minutes on Sunday. And if what happened to Clinton had happened to him, that is win the popular vote, lose the election you know he'd be throwing a fit right now.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
WaPo claims it's going to be a dumpster fire.

President-elect Donald Trump prepared on Tuesday to meet with incoming Vice President Mike Pence to discuss Cabinet selections amid continued uncertainty over who will fill key positions and growing acrimony between Trump advisers and some key Republicans.

In one surprise development, former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani appeared to take himself out of the running for attorney general. Guiliani, a former U.S. attorney and a top Trump adviser, had been considered a leading candidate for the prestigious post.

“I won’t be attorney general,” Giuliani said Monday at a Wall Street Journal event.

Cohen also said the transition official was “completely dismissive” of concerns raised about Trump’s appointment of former Breitbart News head Stephen K. Bannon as chief White House strategist. Bannon has been denounced by advocacy groups, commentators and congressional Democrats as a proponent of racist, anti-Semitic and misogynistic views, though Trump advisers have strongly defended him.

Those views put Trump at odds with many GOP defense hawks, who are uniformly suspicious of Moscow and have denounced Russian actions in Eastern Europe, Ukraine and Syria. The offer of cooperation could also immerse Trump in a deep controversy with the Pentagon, where military and civilian leaders have strongly opposed collaboration with Russia, particularly in Syria.

AYF 001

Hmm trying to convince people that the results of the EC vote will be valid? Another layer to the tinfoil hat if a Clinton EC decision happens.

DrArchon

In one surprise development, former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani appeared to take himself out of the running for attorney general. Guiliani, a former U.S. attorney and a top Trump adviser, had been considered a leading candidate for the prestigious post.

“I won’t be attorney general,” Giuliani said Monday at a Wall Street Journal event.

Well thank Christ for small comforts at least.

DrArchon

If the rumor that Rudy is going to be the secretary of state then imagine Christie as AG, that might be equally as bad

Holy Hell, that's a horrifying combination. I'd have to imagine at least some of the more traditional Republicans in Trump's transition team will try to convince Trump that Christie is damaged goods, so that part might not come to fruition, but Rudy as SoS is plenty terrifying.

And then of course, that leaves the question of who will be the AG?

Kill3r7

If the rumor that Rudy is going to be the secretary of state then imagine Christie as AG, that might be equally as bad

I am not a Christie a fan but as far as AG position goes he might be the best option of the bunch. That said, I don't think he will nominated for any position because any appointment that requires Senate confirmation would be filibustered for Christie because of Bridgegate.

jmizzal

Trump campaiged pretty hard in FL, he was here almost every month, I dont know what he is even talking about

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
15SHOP_SPAN-jumbo.jpg

Trump: I'm thinking of getting one of these nice stainless steel series.

Pence: No fucking way! Those are way too shiney! I like my cabinets old fashioned and boring. Lets go with wood.

Jeels

I still can't believe all this is happening at the top of the US government. It makes me sick to my stomach.

Tigress

Why, Florida seems to go for the worst picks (or rather they tend to go red at least since 2000, I admit I haven't paid much attention before that point). They gave us Bush Jr. twice and they would not have given us Obama the first time.

Honestly, Florida in modern times seems to rarely go for the democrat (and only once when it was time to re elect him and he had a chance to prove himself).

Maybe a lesson here is if you are democrat try for florida but definitely don't depend on them at all as they are a rare chance and don't let the more likely to go blue swing states get ignored.

Oh yeah, and screw Florida, they gave us Bush Jr. twice and now Trump. The worst president in modern times (and they re elected him) and now some one who is far likely to make him look good.

Kusagari

Why, Florida seems to go for the worst picks (or rather they tend to go red at least since 2000, I admit I haven't paid much attention before that point). They gave us Bush Jr. twice and they would not have given us Obama the first time.

Honestly, Florida in modern times seems to rarely go for the democrat (and only once when it was time to re elect him and he had a chance to prove himself).

Maybe a lesson here is if you are democrat try for florida but definitely don't depend on them at all as they are a rare chance and don't let the more likely to go blue swing states get ignored.

Oh yeah, and screw Florida, they gave us Bush Jr. twice and now Trump. The worst president in modern times (and they re elected him) and now some one who is far likely to make him look good.

Uhh, FL voted Obama both times.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
And the mess keeps getting messier

Top Donald Trump campaign advisers who have taken charge of the president-elect’s transition team are casting aside much of the work on Cabinet picks that New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and his aides put in place over several months — and leaving behind a far more chaotic operation dominated by Trump loyalists.

Trump aides have nixed at least one Christie-backed person being considered for a Cabinet position in the aftermath of last Friday's shakeup, a person closely tracking the transition told POLITICO.
By comparison, the Obama administration was deep into the vetting process by early November — not just meeting with prospective nominees but compiling fat dossiers on them, according to emails made public through WikiLeaks. The Obama team also released a code of ethics for transition team members just a few days after the election to limit the influence of special interests. The Trump transition team, meanwhile, is full of lobbyists and has not released such a code.
One person who has talked to transition officials compared their approach to that of Dick Cheney, who ran George W. Bush’s transition team.

“Cheney had his own list in his head and he appointed the people he wanted,” the person said, adding that there are factions within the Trump transition that are each pushing their preferred candidates from Sessions’ loyalists, to Heritage Foundation wonks, to Trump’s campaign staff, to conservative activists who admire Pence.
Apparently Pence hasn't even signed required legal documentation yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom