• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Poll Numbers Revealed After Immigration Fiasco

xStoyax

Banned
Source: CNBC
  • Trump’s economic approval rating surged 6 points to 51 percent, according to the latest CNBC All-America Economic Survey.
  • Fifty-four percent say the economy is good or excellent, the highest recorded by CNBC in the 10 years of the survey.
  • The recent headlines on immigration have not hurt his ratings, according to the survey.
His overall approving rating rose 2 points to 41 percent from the first quarter survey, but the percentage of Americans who disapprove dropped 10 points to 47 percent, the lowest recorded by CNBC during his presidency.

Also, while the media is in meltdown over Trump saying families should be turned away together at the border without trial, most of the comments I see on those articles seem to overall favor this approach. Is the medias outrage over everything having the opposite impact? I mean, of you're outraged about everything - nothing is outrageous

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
>His overall approving rating rose 2 points to 41 percent

That is just crazy

Nothing really crazy if you look at average american.
Trump is literally average american issues wise.

It is elite caste that doesn't understand that Trump is popular because he thinks and behaves like most of people would. He doesn't play politics game like everyone else in politics. He might say stupid stuff but at least he is honest about his feelings while 99% of politicians will say stuff they don't actually believe in.

The state of the economy is the main reason I think the historical trend may not hold. The trend about the party in power usually losing the house of representatives after the midterm election of a president's first term.

dolabla

So you mean to tell me many Americans don't want illegals here? And Dems think this is a winning issue? It's like 2016 never happened. They don't have a message again except illegals and Trump is terrible. No policy, no nothing. Just pure shit flinging to see what sticks.

Now that this didn't work with the illegals, you gotta wonder what feaux outrage they will cook up next. They went from Trump is going to cause a nuclear Holocaust with North Korea, to Stormy Daniels, to the illegals. What's next?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Also, while the media is in meltdown over Trump saying families should be turned away together at the border without trial, most of the comments I see on those articles seem to overall favor this approach. Is the medias outrage over everything having the opposite impact? I mean, of you're outraged about everything - nothing is outrageous

Is the media outraged? Or are they reporting on people that are outraged by it? Most of the coverage I see on the breaking up families thing is just reporting on it and saying how sad it is.

>His overall approving rating rose 2 points to 41 percent

That is just crazy

Nothing really crazy if you look at average american.
Trump is literally average american issues wise.

It is elite caste that doesn't understand that Trump is popular because he thinks and behaves like most of people would. He doesn't play politics game like everyone else in politics. He might say stupid stuff but at least he is honest about his feelings while 99% of politicians will say stuff they don't actually believe in.

What are you two talking about? approval going up 2% is within the margin of error. They may as well said his approval is basically the same as last quarter. And why are people reacting to this news story as if 41% approval is now a good number? 41% approval is terrible!

Last edited:
Is the media outraged? Or are they reporting on people that are outraged by it? Most of the coverage I see on the breaking up families thing is just reporting on it and saying how sad it is.

The media is going all out on "outrage". On MSNBC, Donnie Deutsch recently compared Trump voters to Nazis. Not even Trump is a Nazi ! But Trump voters are like Nazis. Joe Scarborough said the border patrol is acting just like Nazis sending people to the showers. (The zyklon showers that mass exterminated the Jews)

MrRogers

If trump continues to hold the line and follows through with all campaign promises.. like reducing or halting illegal immigration, the wall, creating fair trade deals, bring back manufacturing as much as possible, isolationism (no more global police), strengthens the military, tax reduction, and kills obamacare, im convinced his approval rating will cross and remain over the 50% rubicon, and his second term will be all but guranteed. Mind blowing perhaps for someone living in a progressive urban bubble, but reality was never in the cards for them anyways.

dolabla

If trump continues to hold the line and follows through with all campaign promises.. like reducing or halting illegal immigration, the wall, creating fair trade deals, bring back manufacturing as much as possible, isolationism (no more global police), strengthens the military, tax reduction, and kills obamacare, im convinced his approval rating will cross and remain over the 50% rubicon, and his second term will be all but guranteed. Mind blowing perhaps for someone living in a progressive urban bubble, but reality was never in the cards for them anyways.

He doesn't even have to fulfill all those imo. As long as the economy is booming, he will win. Dems have absolutely no message and it doesn't look like they will learn anytime soon.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

I’ve always found that interesting too. Any time I read an article outraged over something like this I always read the comments underneath. Usually the majority of them don’t match up with the message in the article.

NickFire

We all know darn well that certain elements of the media are driving a narrative to drum up outrage. Failing to recognize that discredits any argument on the issue.

On the macro topic, I am not surprised at all that his numbers haven't been harmed by the issue. People can disagree with the tactic while appreciating an actual effort for a change.

Harlock

Is always the economy. No matter the place in the world. Besides that, people who did not cared about what Trump said before the elections will not care now. I still believe there are space for someone from the center-right not so bare knuckles like Trump. But what happen is this kind of people still very scared of center-left backlash to be themselves and end looking fake.

mckmas8808

We all know darn well that certain elements of the media are driving a narrative to drum up outrage. Failing to recognize that discredits any argument on the issue.

On the macro topic, I am not surprised at all that his numbers haven't been harmed by the issue. People can disagree with the tactic while appreciating an actual effort for a change.

But are they "drumming" up outrage? Or do they honestly just not like the policy and how it looks? Like does everything have to come down being cynical? And the funny thing is, there has been an effort to wade high amounts of immigration for years now, even before Trump got into office.

Is this family separation thing being done just to get attention?

NickFire

But are they "drumming" up outrage? Or do they honestly just not like the policy and how it looks?

In some cases both, and in some cases they are just drumming up outrage as directed by their editors (and as they are directed by their superiors). Way to tell the difference - see what they were reporting prior to Trump.

Is always the economy. No matter the place in the world. Besides that, people who did not cared about what Trump said before the elections will not care now. I still believe there are space for someone from the center-right not so bare knuckles like Trump. But what happen is this kind of people still very scared of center-left backlash to be themselves and end looking fake.

You know Romney is running for the senate in Utah. I think he would secretly like to challenge Trump in 2020. But I also think he knows it would be a huge longshot and he's not up for the humiliation he would have to endure.

oagboghi2

What are you two talking about? approval going up 2% is within the margin of error. They may as well said his approval is basically the same as last quarter. And why are people reacting to this news story as if 41% approval is now a good number? 41% approval is terrible!
You clearly don't understand how these polls work. 41% means he has high support among republicans and growing support among independents...which is all he needs to win. and this number is trending upward. Democrats were expecting to enter the midterms with his number at the high 20's, low 30's.

It's not like he needs 90% approval rating to win elections. Hell he doesn't even need 50%

iBuzzati

CBS poll: only 21% of voters favor releasing illegal immigrants into the country. Nearly 3/4 support incarceration and deportation

You know Romney is running for the senate in Utah. I think he would secretly like to challenge Trump in 2020. But I also think he knows it would be a huge longshot and he's not up for the humiliation he would have to endure.
I think so too. I also think some would be afraid to question him. I believe there's an article from either the hill or politico about trump reshaping the Republican party in his own image. I do not know if that's a good or bad thing but I haven't read the articles.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
They don't have a message again except illegals and Trump is terrible. No policy, no nothing. Just pure shit flinging to see what sticks.
?

I would love to know what the Republican message is. It seems to be fear and hate mixed with ignorance. Fiscal conservatism only comes around when there is a D in the White House, then it's spend as much as you can and get rich while the purse is open. Honestly, the only platform both parties have is "get elected".

bucyou

I would love to know what the Republican message is. It seems to be fear and hate mixed with ignorance. Fiscal conservatism only comes around when there is a D in the White House, then it's spend as much as you can and get rich while the purse is open. Honestly, the only platform both parties have is "get elected".

Laughable considering the last "D" in the white house doubled the deficit under his watch.

Don't be fooled by interpretations of the polls. A lot of people don't watch fake news so what you see on there day in and day out isn't representative of the Americans at large. It's just a snapshot of what the people who drive their ratings and profits think.

A lot of people are happy with Pres. Trump. Many are also unhappy. We'll see who shows up to vote in the end on election day for pivotal races. People want elite pundits to tell them what the future holds. People want the experts to tell them what they want to hear. But the reality is that they don't know just like the rest of us.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

I'm pretty sure the republican message on immigration is "don't break our laws, or we will deport you."

I know, pretty radical stuff. Clearly they are all nazi's

mckmas8808

You clearly don't understand how these polls work. 41% means he has high support among republicans and growing support among independents...which is all he needs to win. and this number is trending upward. Democrats were expecting to enter the midterms with his number at the high 20's, low 30's.

It's not like he needs 90% approval rating to win elections. Hell he doesn't even need 50%

I'm not talking about winning elections. I'm only speaking of historical approval ratings for Presidents. And 41% is low. Nobody should have expected Trump to fall below 30%. The country is too divided for that to ever happen.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member

CBS poll: only 21% of voters favor releasing illegal immigrants into the country. Nearly 3/4 support incarceration and deportation

That's an interesting way of reading the poll. As if it's "ammo" against the strawman that Democrats want open borders and are pro-illegal immigration.

Here are a couple of other statements you could make based on that poll:

- Only 15% of Americans believe the illegal immigrants should be arrested and detained
- Only 4% of Americans believe children should be separated from their parents at the border

Last edited by a moderator:

iBuzzati

That's an interesting way of reading the poll. As if it's "ammo" against the strawman that Democrats want open borders and are pro-illegal immigration.

Here are a couple of other statements you could make based on that poll:

- Only 15% of Americans believe the illegal immigrants should be arrested and detained
- Only 4% of Americans believe children should be separated from their parents at the border

It's actually not an 'interesting' way to read the poll. It's just reading the poll.

I have to constantly remind myself that forums/Facebook/Twitter does not equal the real world/county at large.

If you based it on Twitter alone the kids in camps story was the biggest thing ever. A torpedo that would scuttle the most unsinkable politician. Seeing it barely register nation-wide is kinda weird.

Why would ANYONE be pro illegal immigration?

I have to imagine the angle would be something about humanitarian reasons, helping them find a better country, etc. The "illegal" part has already become a 'no no' word, they're undocumented immigrants. "People can't be illegal!" etc.

To me, I think it'd be better to put the effort into revamping the normal immigration policy and setup to help allow in more people the right way. At some point you need to be able to have some sort of solid process in place, otherwise what's the point of having a border in the first place? I guess a free travel zone like they have in the EU? But that only works if all sides are participating, where with the US and Mexico its one sided.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Still far away but not sure a second term is guaranteed even with a good economy

I bet many people stayed home in 2016 not thinking Trump had a shot .. those same people will be out in force

Trump will have to maintain his 2016 numbers and then some ... not sure if possible

Texas Pride

Banned
I'm clearly down on polls in general especially when it comes to politics. It's too easy to manipulate a poll by asking certain questions to certain people. If peace continues to happen with North Korea & the economy holds Trump is getting a second term imo. Most sensible people don't want illegal immigration. The echo chambers in the corners of the internet don't represent your average voter.

dolabla

More Trump than Republican, but off the top of my head:

Economy (tax cuts, fixing trade defecit, etc)
Strong borders (the wall, more ICE agents, fix the immigration system etc)
Strong military
Make America energy independent
Infrastructure (new roads, bridges, railways, etc)

Hari Seldon

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/...ed-consequences-trumps-tariffs-154313192.html

"Trump’s trade war has officially moved American jobs overseas.

In a regulatory filing on Monday, iconic motorcycle manufacturer Harley-Davidson (HOG) said it is moving the production of motorcycles bound for the EU out of the U.S. as a result of new tariffs."

I saw that as well. In that same article domestic sales were down 12% while international sales were up 0.2%. It makes sense for them to move production to cheaper places simply because Americans aren't buying motorcycles anymore, regardless of what the tariffs are.

BPoole

I have to imagine the angle would be something about humanitarian reasons, helping them find a better country, etc. The "illegal" part has already become a 'no no' word, they're undocumented immigrants. "People can't be illegal!" etc.

To me, I think it'd be better to put the effort into revamping the normal immigration policy and setup to help allow in more people the right way. At some point you need to be able to have some sort of solid process in place, otherwise what's the point of having a border in the first place? I guess a free travel zone like they have in the EU? But that only works if all sides are participating, where with the US and Mexico its one sided.
I saw this video a long time ago that I think is really good at putting things in perspective as far as humanitarian efforts are concerned with immigration

gohepcat

Banned
Telling people that you’re being invaded by foreign hordes is a time honored tradition in riling up the rabble. Most people don’t do it because it’s just such a morally despicable thing but Trump is such a subhuman dirt bag it’s just the obvious choice for him.

He appeals to the absolute worst in people. Apparently it’s very effective.

That’s a shame. It’s also a shame that you honestly fucking believe that it’s the media who is painting him in a bad light.

xStoyax

Banned
Still far away but not sure a second term is guaranteed even with a good economy

I bet many people stayed home in 2016 not thinking Trump had a shot .. those same people will be out in force

Trump will have to maintain his 2016 numbers and then some ... not sure if possible
Many of the largest talk shows in the country were never-trumpers and claimed he wasn't a conservative. But he's done more that conservatives have been asking for than the Bush's of the world ever did, and now they're all aboard the Trump train. I know many people who didn't vote for Trump who say they regret it & will be out in force the next election.

Telling people that you’re being invaded by foreign hordes is a time honored tradition in riling up the rabble. Most people don’t do it because it’s just such a morally despicable thing but Trump is such a subhuman dirt bag it’s just the obvious choice for him.

He appeals to the absolute worst in people. Apparently it’s very effective.

That’s a shame. It’s also a shame that you honestly fucking believe that it’s the media who is painting him in a bad light.

I mean, you just need to look at Europe and my country

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Latvia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Estonia

Now read

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_Donbass

I see no reason why something similar could not happen in the southern USA states that share a border with Mexico, the only difference is that America has all the tech.

This is a real and legitimate fear for the Baltics, but somehow a similar situation in America is riling up the rabble

pramod

Banned

America already accepts more immigrants per year than any other country on earth, why do we need more?

Harlock

The US climate right now, summarized in one tweet. Looks like a lost episode of Star Trek TNG where they find a planet where half of people can´t talk to the another half. But even Picard will not solve this.

0r7z36D.png

Top Bottom