• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Poll Numbers Revealed After Immigration Fiasco

Azurro

Banned
Great, then you think a merit-based system is bullshit as well! Glad we agreed on that.

As for the rest of your points, there isn't anything I can say that hasn't been said. We aren't going to meet in the middle on this one. Also, granting amnesty to a group of people seeking shelter from violence doesn't transform the receiving countries into the chaotic hellholes you think they'll become, even though there are always issues that can arise. And it certainly isn't the same as arguing for open borders. This isn't an all-or-nothing argument I'm making, just to clarify.

Anyway, I'm done for the evening, gotta reach a deadline. But would happily discuss further another day.

How is a merit based system bullshit? Canada has had one for decades and they are doing great. It's difficult to emigrate there because it's worth it, and everyone contributes. It's much more difficult to find illegal laborers and people mooching from social systems are minimal compared to the US.

Dontero

Banned
What are you two talking about? approval going up 2% is within the margin of error. They may as well said his approval is basically the same as last quarter. And why are people reacting to this news story as if 41% approval is now a good number? 41% approval is terrible!

You lack context here. It was supposed to fall after "critical mistake" as press painted whole recent shebang. It didn't, it rose up (withing margin of error as you said). Which means again media lives in different world than average population. "Outrage" they paint is only them and some people who were already outraged.

41% approval is terrible!

That is almost half of population that says president does good job. Go to any EU nation and you would see that 40% is really fucking nothing out of normal. Merkel which is one of the best german politicians at best got 70% and now hovers over 50%. French presidents usually hover around 20% most of the time and Hollande had like 2% for a time.

Frankly speaking it is mostly american thing where you have approval ratings that high. There are some cases of high aproval ratings in history but most of the time those were very historic persons and even them after doing huge things never got 90%

Dunki

You lack context here. It was supposed to fall after "critical mistake" as press painted whole recent shebang. It didn't, it rose up (withing margin of error as you said). Which means again media lives in different world than average population. "Outrage" they paint is only them and some people who were already outraged.

That is almost half of population that says president does good job. Go to any EU nation and you would see that 40% is really fucking nothing out of normal. Merkel which is one of the best german politicians at best got 70% and now hovers over 50%. French presidents usually hover around 20% most of the time and Hollande had like 2% for a time.

Frankly speaking it is mostly american thing where you have approval ratings that high. There are some cases of high aproval ratings in history but most of the time those were very historic persons and even them after doing huge things never got 90%

Merkel has lot a ton of approval since 2015 and her stupid decision. I highly doubt she will survive these next years as Kanzlerin. She also lost a ton of respect in Europe and only has a few allies left. If this goes own she will always be remembered for the fall of the EU.

BlueAlpaca

I think the Democrats are going to lose a lot of minority votes in the next election. Many feared Trump because they thought he was going to come after him, but it hasn't happened. All Trump has to do is keep lying and saying things like he's going to bring them jobs and such, talk about security. In the end it doesn't matter if its true or not, people just understand the message.

Contrary to what many think, Latinos and Blacks don't like illegal immigration. They care a lot about those low paying jobs and don't want them being taken away. Latino's expecially don't like constantly being in the news because illegal Latino's keep committing crimes and/or are in the news frequently. They don't like the bad rep from the illegals.

Democrats seem out of touch with what they're doing. They seem to be catering to already left leaning white voters, ignoring everyone else. They need to get back to jobs and security as they did pre 2014, in the end that's what minority's and immigrants will go for.

Huh? Plenty of polls show blacks don't support wall/have no problem with illegal immigration. This is a race issue now, white vs. black/brown. Conservatives vs. marxists. I don't think blacks realize that illegal immigration hurts them but even if they do I doubt they'd care.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Huh? Plenty of polls show blacks don't support wall/have no problem with illegal immigration. This is a race issue now, white vs. black/brown. Conservatives vs. marxists. I don't think blacks realize that illegal immigration hurts them but even if they do I doubt they'd care.

Many black people can identify with the immigrant struggle more than some other people can.

pramod

Banned
Many black people can identify with the immigrant struggle more than some other people can.

Which doesn't really make any sense to me. Besides the only commonality being a "poor minority", blacks and hispanic illegal immigrants have almost nothing in common in terms of what they want or need. Illegals will happily take any job that a black person won't do, and will happily move into any neighborhood that black people think are too "ghetto" or segregated. They don't want social justice, all they want is a green card.

Last edited:
Stop blaming your problems on illegal immigrants.

I think the US government would make some progress by having agents pay a visit to the c-suites to discuss hiring practices instead of busting down the doors of 7-11s.

Also, I think the US enforcement policy has been problematic. One of the reasons the immigrant mix has changed to more women and children is that the US was too tough. Everyone from Mexico was getting caught and started to give up. Now it's created a humanitarian problem where families are making the trip from 1200 miles away instead of young men from Mexico looking for jobs. It's harder to turn them away with a 0 tolerance policy or make a 4 year old represent themselves in a court room.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
I work in nyc construction. Come from a non union background and currently in a union construction trade.

I hear nonsense and lies about non union quality of labor all the time (and the truth is after seeing both sides non union workers do put more effort and care into their work but I didn’t say that... it’s jusf that the good ole boy club in unions is real and is indeed a cancer [that admittedly they are trying to resolve]).

But if you think for a single moment that a union electrician working at NYU or la guardia making 170,000 in 2017 wants to surrender his or her bargaining power and wages to illegals you’re out of your fucking mind and they fight against it with some strong prejudice.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Which doesn't really make any sense to me. Besides the only commonality being a "poor minority", blacks and hispanic illegal immigrants have almost nothing in common in terms of what they want or need. Illegals will happily take any job that a black person won't do, and will happily move into any neighborhood that black people think are too "ghetto" or segregated. They don't want social justice, all the want is a green card.

WTH?! Darn near 100% of people in America want social justice. Lots of people just define what should and shouldn't get justice. But there aren't many people saying, "I want to be wronged". Come on dude you know this.

oagboghi2

WTH?! Darn near 100% of people in America want social justice. Lots of people just define what should and shouldn't get justice. But there aren't many people saying, "I want to be wronged". Come on dude you know this.
They would rather have a green card, than the upper middle-class white feminism politics that we call "social justice"

pramod

Banned

I guess what I meant was the hispanics want a different type of social justice. I think what they ultimately want is pretty different from what black Americans want. I think a lot of hispanics just want to become accepted as "one of the whites" someday. Whereas black people just want to be respected for who they are, because they know they will never be regarded as "white".

Except being demonized be the right.

Well if you put it that way I guess in some ways they have a common enemy? But I honestly don't feel that most hispanics regard white people as "the enemy". The want to become more like them.

Last edited:

ic3cait

Banned
What a difference 4 years can make. Illegal immigration? 2014: A problem that needs to be stopped. 2018: We need to reward them with citizenship (and we'll drop the 'illegal' qualifier because acknowledging they're criminals is racist!)

XTYWnAC.png

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
In 2014, the Huffington Post reported that the Obama administration had deported 72,000 immigrants claiming to have U.S. born children in 2013, according to Congressional reports. The article also cites a Color Lines report that over 200,000 immigrants were deported who had citizen children between 7/1/2010 to 9/31/2012. Color Lines also suspected that the number is far higher, as many parents are fearful of disclosing they have U.S. born children.

To be fair, the article also claims that ICE makes every effort to allow children to accompany their deported parents, or to place them with another parent, family member, or foster care if the parent wishes. At the end of the article is a clip of a U.S. citizen separated from her father, although, again to be fair, she was still residing with her mother.

Amory

This does surprise me.

But I will say that the gradual tone shift driven by the left, where people entering the US illegally were originally called illegal aliens, then illegal immigrants, then undocumented migrants, and now simply "migrants", has been stunning.

I disagree with probably everything trump has done in relation to how he's dealt with the inflow of people into this country. But the left has seemingly decided to just define illegal immigration as an imaginary problem that only bigots would concern themselves with. That's not going to work out well for them.

iamblades

This does surprise me.

But I will say that the gradual tone shift driven by the left, where people entering the US illegally were originally called illegal aliens, then illegal immigrants, then undocumented migrants, and now simply "migrants", has been stunning.

I disagree with probably everything trump has done in relation to how he's dealt with the inflow of people into this country. But the left has seemingly decided to just define illegal immigration as an imaginary problem that only bigots would concern themselves with. That's not going to work out well for them.

Hell, even as a libertarian in favor of open borders, the Democrat's position on this issue is a losing one. What they are advocating is not politically viable, and would not be politically viable anywhere. You can't just call people racists and expect that to change.

Ke0

Black Americans aren't going to shift to conservative votes. People have said that every year since like 1963 and it has yet to happen.

Conservatives give black Americans absolutely no reason to vote for them. And their outreach strategies for getting the black vote can be summed up as: "Republicans freed the slaves!", "You're on the plantation and just want free stuff!", "What about Chicago?!"

KINGMOKU

Black Americans aren't going to shift to conservative votes. People have said that every year since like 1963 and it has yet to happen.

Conservatives give black Americans absolutely no reason to vote for them. And their outreach strategies for getting the black vote can be summed up as: "Republicans freed the slaves!", "You're on the plantation and just want free stuff!", "What about Chicago?!"
Or "the lowest unemployment rate in recorded history".

ic3cait

Banned

When 7 in 10 black children are born to single parents, what in the ever loving fuck makes you think that group will ever vote for the party that preaches taking responsibility for your own actions? Can we be honest?

chaos789

Banned
From William Blum:
The current mass exodus of people from Central America to the United States, with the daily headline-grabbing stories of numerous children involuntarily separated from their parents, means it’s time to remind my readers once again of one of the primary causes of these periodic mass migrations.

Those in the US generally opposed to immigration make it a point to declare or imply that the United States does not have any legal or moral obligation to take in these Latinos. This is not true. The United States does indeed have the obligation because many of the immigrants, in addition to fleeing from drug violence, are escaping an economic situation in their homeland directly made hopeless by American interventionist policy.
It’s not that these people prefer to live in the United States. They’d much rather remain with their families and friends, be able to speak their native language at all times, and avoid the hardships imposed upon them by American police and other right-wingers. But whenever a progressive government comes to power in Latin America or threatens to do so, a government sincerely committed to fighting poverty, the United States helps to suppresses the movement and/or supports the country’s right-wing and military in staging a coup. This has been the case in Guatemala, El Salvador, Mexico, Nicaragua and Honduras.

The latest example is the June 2009 coup (championed by US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton) ousting the moderately progressive Manuel Zelaya of Honduras. The particularly severe increase in recent years in Honduran migration to the US is a direct result of the overthrow of Zelaya, whose crime was things like raising the minimum wage, giving subsidies to small farmers, and instituting free education. It is a tale told many times in Latin America: The downtrodden masses finally put into power a leader committed to reversing the status quo, determined to try to put an end to two centuries of oppression … and before long the military overthrows the democratically-elected government, while the United States – if not the mastermind behind the coup – does nothing to prevent it or to punish the coup regime, as only the United States can punish; meanwhile Washington officials pretend to be very upset over this “affront to democracy” while giving major support to the coup regime. The resulting return to poverty is accompanied by government and right-wing violence against those who question the new status quo, giving further incentive to escape the country.

Last edited:

KonradLaw

The most telling thing is that after this debacle his approval among hispanics rose by 10%.
It's a new world. Any party that's not for stopping illegal immigration will crumble. You can be liberal, advocate for more legal migration and better treatement of illegals, but if you advocate for floods of illegal immogrations the voters will eventually abandon you.
At this rate Trump has very good chances getting reelected

TTOOLL

Dems are kind of desperate or is it my impression? How can one defend ILLEGAL immigration to one's own country?

Havoc2049

The most telling thing is that after this debacle his approval among hispanics rose by 10%.
It's a new world. Any party that's not for stopping illegal immigration will crumble. You can be liberal, advocate for more legal migration and better treatement of illegals, but if you advocate for floods of illegal immigrants, the voters will eventually abandon you.
At this rate Trump has very good chances getting reelected

I grew up and live in the Southwest United States and Mexican-Americans who have been part of the southwest culture for hundreds of years and they are also feeling the pressures that a large amount of illegal immigrants put on a society at the local level. Many Border Patrol Stations are apprehending more Other Than Mexicans (OTMs) than they are people from Mexico. It also isn't just people from Central America. Large amounts of people from India and China are also starting to claim asylum at the southwest border. I don't see the media report this though, since it doesn't pull at the heart strings like poor Central American family units do.

BTW, the numbers and humanitarian crisis was far worse in 2014, with Central American family units and unaccompanied juveniles claiming asylum and DHS did a far worse job housing and expediting the asylum process for those people. While it was covered in the media, it is nothing like this time and the rage in the media is far more negative towards the current administration, even though the numbers are less and DHS is better equipped to deal with all these people.

Last edited:

KonradLaw

I grew up and live in the Southwest United States and Mexican-Americans who have been part of the southwest culture for hundreds of years and they are also feeling the pressures that a large amount of illegal immigrants put on a society at the local level. Many Border Patrol Stations are apprehending more Other Than Mexicans (OTMs) than they are people from Mexico. It also isn't just people from Central America. Large amounts of people from India and China are also starting to claim asylum at the southwest border. I don't see the media report this though, since it doesn't pull at the heart strings like poor Central American family units do.

BTW, the numbers and humanitarian crisis was far worse in 2014, with Central American family units and unaccompanied juveniles claiming asylum and DHS did a far worse job housing and expediting the asylum process for those people. While it was covered in the media, it is nothing like this time and the rage in the media is far more negative towards the current administration, even though the numbers are less and DHS is better equipped to deal all these people.
Yep. And then mainstream media is surprised people don't trust them. They can't even elicit outrage from any republicans, because those people just don't believe them anymore.
There's of course nothing wrong with raising ruckus over the family separation. But media shouldn't have let democrats try to ride that wave and instead chastize them for screwing up earlier and doing their own crap. They didn't, so instead of moral and legal issue it turned into another political war and there people just dig into their own trenches.

Ke0

When 7 in 10 black children are born to single parents, what in the ever loving fuck makes you think that group will ever vote for the party that preaches taking responsibility for your own actions? Can we be honest?

Even though you're banned; this is a great example as to why the conservative party will never get the black vote. That age old racism the lot of you fall back on…but at the same time cry that you're the most oppressed group in the USA lol

Also have always found this "argument" crazy considering the fact voters of this party demand their politicians bring back their coal mining and manufacturing jobs, and blaming PoC for their job loss instead of taking…personal responsibility…and finding new jobs.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Even though you're banned; this is a great example as to why the conservative party will never get the black vote. That age old racism the lot of you fall back on…but at the same time cry that you're the most oppressed group in the USA lol

Also have always found this "argument" crazy considering the fact voters of this party demand their politicians bring back their coal mining and manufacturing jobs, and blaming PoC for their job loss instead of taking…personal responsibility…and finding new jobs.

The fact is neither party really does anything in particular to help black people. Did Obama enact any new "Help Only Black People" laws? I don't remember. But your post again tells me the reason blacks keep voting for Dems is because it's the party that agrees with their view that it's all the white people's fault.

Ke0

The fact is neither party really does anything in particular to help black people. Did Obama enact any new "Help Only Black People" laws? I don't remember. But your post again tells me the reason blacks keep voting for Dems is because it's the party that agrees with their view that it's all the white people's fault.

Obama merely mentioning being black caused your country to foam at it's collective mouth. Had he enacted "help only black people laws" you guys would have had an aneurysm, called for his impeachment, and cry about being oppressed.

Your US conservative party is like 90% white and historically have done nothing but attack the black population, I think THAT'S why they're with the Liberals. Just a hunch. So while one can argue neither party really does anything for them, the conservatives have actively worked against black Americans, and routinely demonise them to rally their base. So you can't really cry about being "blamed" for things when that's been a patent strategy of US Conservatives for decades upon decades upon decades, because then you're saying is okay if they do it to "them" but not okay when done to you. I think they call that hypocrisy.

Last edited:
Obama merely mentioning being black caused your country to foam at it's collective mouth. Had he enacted "help only black people laws" you guys would have had an aneurysm, called for his impeachment, and cry about being oppressed.

Your US conservative party is like 90% white and historically have done nothing but attack the black population, I think THAT'S why they're with the Liberals. Just a hunch. So while one can argue neither party really does anything for them, the conservatives have actively worked against black Americans, and routinely demonise them to rally their base. So you can't really cry about being "blamed" for things when that's been a patent strategy of US Conservatives for decades upon decades upon decades, because then you're saying is okay if they do it to "them" but not okay when done to you. I think they call that hypocrisy.
I don't know if I've ever seen a post so out of touch with reality than this.

Polls are trash I don't care what they say. The fact is more and more true Americans are seeing past the great liberal lie. President Trump is making this country great again.

oagboghi2

From William Blum:
The current mass exodus of people from Central America to the United States, with the daily headline-grabbing stories of numerous children involuntarily separated from their parents, means it’s time to remind my readers once again of one of the primary causes of these periodic mass migrations.

Those in the US generally opposed to immigration make it a point to declare or imply that the United States does not have any legal or moral obligation to take in these Latinos. This is not true. The United States does indeed have the obligation because many of the immigrants, in addition to fleeing from drug violence, are escaping an economic situation in their homeland directly made hopeless by American interventionist policy.
It’s not that these people prefer to live in the United States. They’d much rather remain with their families and friends, be able to speak their native language at all times, and avoid the hardships imposed upon them by American police and other right-wingers. But whenever a progressive government comes to power in Latin America or threatens to do so, a government sincerely committed to fighting poverty, the United States helps to suppresses the movement and/or supports the country’s right-wing and military in staging a coup. This has been the case in Guatemala, El Salvador, Mexico, Nicaragua and Honduras.

The latest example is the June 2009 coup (championed by US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton) ousting the moderately progressive Manuel Zelaya of Honduras. The particularly severe increase in recent years in Honduran migration to the US is a direct result of the overthrow of Zelaya, whose crime was things like raising the minimum wage, giving subsidies to small farmers, and instituting free education. It is a tale told many times in Latin America: The downtrodden masses finally put into power a leader committed to reversing the status quo, determined to try to put an end to two centuries of oppression … and before long the military overthrows the democratically-elected government, while the United States – if not the mastermind behind the coup – does nothing to prevent it or to punish the coup regime, as only the United States can punish; meanwhile Washington officials pretend to be very upset over this “affront to democracy” while giving major support to the coup regime. The resulting return to poverty is accompanied by government and right-wing violence against those who question the new status quo, giving further incentive to escape the country.
WHAT?!

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: I can't stop laughing at that

mckmas8808

Actually he did many things that specifically helps/helped black people. But because you "probably" disagree with most of them, you're probably going to act like they either don't matter or it doesn't count.

Gander

Banned
Actually he did many things that specifically helps/helped black people. But because you "probably" disagree with most of them, you're probably going to act like they either don't matter or it doesn't count.

Well let's talk about one of the first things he did. He declared there is bad on both sides on violence at a KKK rally. Where a KKK supporter ran over a woman in a car. Do we need to go on?

mckmas8808

Well let's talk about one of the first things he did. He declared there is bad on both sides on violence at a KKK rally. Where a KKK supporter ran over a woman in a car. Do we need to go on?

I was talking about Obama, not Trump lol.

SaviourMK2

Polls are based on a percentage of Americans. If you walk into a Wal-Mart and only questioned the people inside Wal-Mart if food stamps are important/should be increased, you're gonna get a radically different number of supporters than if you just walked into a Trader Joes and asked the same thing.
I don't generally trust polls these days since the entire political spectrum is drowning in corruption and tribalism. I've never been asked by surveys or pollsters what I thought of the boarder crisis or the tax scam.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member

I think the issue is that he didnt fo anything really specific for the black community.
Almost every benefit or positive net bump they recieved in some category wasnt just an AA thing.
You can sight tax cuts, wage/job increases etc.. but it was 'just AA' They were just part of an overall increase across the board.
If you point out program initiatives they werent specifically AA but spread across all monorities.

All in all he did far little DIRECTLY affecting the AA solely.

If anything immigrants and LGBT recieved FAR more direct discussion and policy.

Always makes me shake my head watching AA groups/people fight so hard for immigration/LGBT things while they get so little.
They've basically put themselves, and we all have, behind those issues.

I, myself as a white dude, would place AA issues and improvements waaaaay ahead of those issues. Fuck DACA, Fuck bathrooms and gay marriage...let's focus on AA issues before we worry about illegals and where trans men can piss.

BlueAlpaca

This would be a really interesting topic for a thread. I would love to know more about this.

I saw some statistics from Haidt on igen/millenials on how they have very limited life experience than previous generations and delay and don't even want things like driver's license. There might be a correlation there.

mckmas8808

I think the issue is that he didnt fo anything really specific for the black community.
Almost every benefit or positive net bump they recieved in some category wasnt just an AA thing.
You can sight tax cuts, wage/job increases etc.. but it was 'just AA' They were just part of an overall increase across the board.
If you point out program initiatives they werent specifically AA but spread across all monorities.

All in all he did far little DIRECTLY affecting the AA solely.

If anything immigrants and LGBT recieved FAR more direct discussion and policy.

Always makes me shake my head watching AA groups/people fight so hard for immigration/LGBT things while they get so little.
They've basically put themselves, and we all have, behind those issues.

I, myself as a white dude, would place AA issues and improvements waaaaay ahead of those issues. Fuck DACA, Fuck bathrooms and gay marriage...let's focus on AA issues before we worry about illegals and where trans men can piss.

And this is what's funny about that. What policy in the history of America "only" helped black people? Sadly most people don't realize that the Civil Rights bill was not a black people only bill. And why do people love ignoring this?

MBK2.png

» Since the launch of MBK, the private sector has committed more than $600 million in grants and in-kind resources, along with $1 billion in low-interest financing to support activities that are aligned with MBK priorities. These commitments do not include the substantial additional investments that are also being made at the local level.

» “Ban the Box” Philanthropy Challenge – Most job applications include a mandatory yes-or-no question regarding whether the applicant has had interactions with the justice system. Some 70 million Americans have arrest or conviction records that can show up in background checks; there is evidence that this reduces by 50% the likelihood that an applicant will receive a callback interview for an entry-level job. This practice of asking about a criminal record at the first step in the application process takes a particularly heavy toll on communities of color, and especially on men of color who are disproportionately arrested, convicted, and sentenced. Inspired by the President’s announcement that the Federal Government will change its practices and “ban the box” in its own hiring, the Executives’ Alliance has embarked on a campaign to challenge philanthropy to do the same and is urging foundations nationwide to join the movement by “banning the box” and adopting fair chance hiring practices – more than 40 foundations had accepted the challenge at time of launch.

» The Citi Foundation’s Pathways to Progress initiative is working to catalyze the economic progress of 100,000 low-income urban youth in 10 cities across the United States. To date, the initiative has reached more than 60,000 young people through a variety of programs including one-on-one college and career mentoring, summer jobs, and leadership and workplace skills development through volunteering and service

» In March 2014, the Opportunity Finance Network (OFN), a performance-oriented national network of 240 Community Development Financial Institutions, launched the Youth Opportunity Pledge in support of the MBK initiative. The pledge was to make more than $1 billion in new financing available annually to support youth of color, including $300 million specifically for black and Hispanic male youth. Since the March 2014 announcement, OFN members have invested more than $470 million in housing, community services, small business, and other financial agreements designed to positively impact youth of color.

» Equal Opportunity Schools (EOS) focuses on finding, enrolling, and supporting students absent from challenging college preparatory courses. In April 2015, a consortium of education, philanthropy, and business leaders announced “Lead Higher” with commitments to spend a combined $100 million over three years to identify and enroll 100,000 low-income students and students of color in Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) high school classes across the country.

» JPMorgan Chase & Co. has committed $10 million to expand The Fellowship Initiative (TFI), a comprehensive enrichment program for young men of color that includes academic, social, and emotional support; experiential learning opportunities; one-on-one mentorship with JPMorgan Chase employees; college planning support; and more. The expanded initiative resulted in a new class of TFI Fellows being recruited from Chicago, Los Angeles, and New York City, and the firm identified and trained some 120 employees to serve as one-on-one TFI mentors.

» Several school districts have started to take action in response to the continued Federal efforts to address disparities in school discipline policies and practices. Following the 2014 release of a joint guidance letter from ED and the U. S. Department of Justice (DOJ) advising schools that the disproportionate application of discipline to certain groups of students may violate Federal civil rights laws, advocates and educators in California began to push the California State Legislature to replace “zero-tolerance” discipline policies with alternative approaches. A recent study by the Center for Civil Rights Remedies using data from the California Department of Education, found that the total number of suspensions in California fell from 709,580 in 2011-12 to 503,101 in 2013-14 and that reductions in suspensions also resulted in a narrowing of the racial discipline gap for California. After attending the national Rethink Discipline convening at the White House, Miami-Dade County Public Schools and the Houston Independent School District (HISD) each unveiled their plans to take a bold new approach to student discipline aimed at becoming the largest districts in the country to reduce out-of-school suspensions. With growing evidence that calls into question the effectiveness of stringent discipline policies—and following in the footsteps of other districts like Oakland, Syracuse, and Broward County, FL, that have all taken steps toward overhauling their student discipline codes – Miami-Dade County Public Schools announced that, beginning with the 2015-2016 school year, it would eliminate out-of-school suspensions in response to a review of its own data, which showed that the district had suspended 36,000 students in the 2013-2014 school year alone. Though black students made up only 23% of the student population, they represented 38% of students suspended. The district also announced a new $3 million investment to support student success centers, to expand the number of counselors, and to implement character development practices in the classroom. Meanwhile, the HISD School Board passed a new policy banning suspensions altogether for young children. These new, more positive approaches to improving school climate and discipline will help to keep students in school and provide more targeted interventions and supports for students most in need.

» Since 2014, the Task Force agencies have invested significant resources to address barriers to employment and to ensure that all young people have the tools and opportunities to enter the workforce successfully. The Task Force agencies also expanded access to apprenticeship programs and launched new pilots to empower communities to help improve outcomes for disconnected youth through education, training, and other services. For example, from FY 2013 to FY 2015, there was an increase of nearly 10,000 new apprenticeships filled by African-American and Hispanic men and women in 25 states.

» Many black and Hispanic teenage boys lag behind their peers in summer employment and year-round jobs. This employment gap broadens as these young men get older, making them the highest percentage of the roughly six million youth ages 16 to 24 disconnected from school and work. That is one of the reasons why the Task Force recommended strengthening opportunities for summer youth employment and launching a cross-sector campaign to reduce summer learning loss, and to increase the number of job and internship opportunities for all young people. Building on this recommendation, the White House and MBK Task Force agencies launched the Summer Opportunity Project, in partnership with the National Summer Learning Association and other collaborators, to increase the percentage of youth in evidence-based summer opportunity programs, decrease the percentage of youth experiencing violence over the summer, and ensure that young Americans have the support they need to get their first job. The Summer Opportunity Project launch featured several new public and private sector commitments. LinkedIn, the world’s largest online professional network, has committed to connecting leaders of small and medium sized Impact in Action: A Summer of Opportunity for Baltimore Following the unrest in Baltimore in April 2015, one of the top priorities that the City of Baltimore established was to expand its long-running summer jobs program, called YouthWorks, to ensure that every young person who signed up for the program would be guaranteed a summer job opportunity. The expansion of YouthWorks in the summer of 2015 has been one of the city’s most successful efforts to increase opportunities for Baltimore’s youth. In total, the city was able to secure more than $4 million in new non-federal funds and provide more than 3,000 new jobs with public, nonprofit, and private sector employers. MBK Task Force agencies also played an instrumental role in helping the city leverage Federal programs and resources to support the summer jobs program. For example, ED provided technical assistance to the Baltimore City Public Schools on using Title I education funds to pay for career enrichment activities or for instructors and tutors as part of summer jobs programs. In addition, grants from AmeriCorps and the U. S. Department of the Interior helped support additional summer job slots. DOT also sponsored the National Summer Transportation Institute at Morgan State University to provide STEM education and SAT prep courses, and to promote awareness of transportation career opportunities for area high school students As a part of the President’s FY 2017 Budget, the White House and the Departments of Labor and Education also announced a new $5.5 billion proposal to connect more than one million young people to their first jobs over the summer and year-round. The proposal also included a new $2 billion competitive grant program designed to reconnect disconnected youth to educational and workforce pathways. businesses with local and state organizations to help young people, including disconnected youth, access summer jobs in 72 cities. CNCS has committed $15 million in existing Segal AmeriCorps Education Awards over the next three years to launch Summer Opportunity AmeriCorps that will enable up to 20,000 youth to gain new skills and earn money for college. In the summer of 2015, DOL awarded nearly $22.5 million to seven communities facing high unemployment, high crime, and low graduation rates to help connect youth and young adults (ages 16 to 29) with job opportunities. Grants were awarded to: Baltimore, MD; Detroit, MI; Houston, TX; Greater St. Louis, including North St. Louis; Long Beach, CA; North Charleston, SC; and Camden, NJ. These grants are designed to help prepare young people for work in construction, manufacturing, hospitality, health care, information technology, transportation, and other growing industries. They also fund an array of services including financial literacy, apprenticeship training, leadership development, and mental health and substance abuse counseling. The grants involve partnerships with community and faith-based organizations, educational institutions, foundations, and employers. Building on this success, in February 2016 DOL launched a new $20 million grant competition that will be awarded to approximately 10 communities for innovative approaches that provide young people with summer and year-round jobs and connect them to career pathways.

» Nearly one in every two black men has been arrested by the time he is 23 years old. But crime and violence are problems affecting too many young Americans. Far too many of our nation’s young people are detained, imprisoned or fall victim to violence. An estimated 2.2 million people are currently incarcerated in the United States and each year, more than 600,000 individuals are released from state and Federal prisons. Persons of color disproportionately have contact with law enforcement or are victims of violent crime. In 2014, nearly 4,500 young non-Hispanic black men were victims of homicide, making homicide the number one leading cause of death for black males between the ages of 15 and 34. This Administration has taken, and will continue to take, steps to enhance public safety, improve youth and law enforcement relations, reduce youth involvement with the juvenile and criminal justice systems, reduce youth violence, and address the barriers justice-involved young people face. To achieve these goals, the Administration has issued guidance and coordinated resources across funding streams. In U.S. prisons, there are as many as 100,000 people held in solitary confinement — including juveniles and people with mental illnesses. An estimated 25,000 inmates are serving months, even years in a cell, with almost no human contact. In July 2015, President Obama directed the Attorney General to review the overuse of solitary confinement across American prisons. DOJ conducted a thorough review to determine how, when, and why correctional facilities isolate certain prisoners from the general inmate population and developed concrete strategies for safely reducing the use of this practice throughout our criminal justice system. That review led to a report to the President setting out guiding principles to responsibly limit the use of restrictive housing at the Federal, state, and local level, as well as specific recommendations for policies that the Bureau of Prisons can implement for Federal prisons. In January 2016, the President adopted DOJ’s recommendations, issuing an executive order to ban solitary confinement for juveniles, expand treatment for the mentally ill, and increase the amount of time inmates in solitary confinement can spend outside of their cells. These steps will affect approximately 10,000 Federal prisoners held in solitary confinement – and serve as a model for what can be done in state and local corrections systems.

» DOJ’s Office for Victims of Crime (OVC) made 12 awards to communities totaling $14 million in 2015 to improve responses to male survivors of violence, including boys and young men of color and their families, and to dedicate technical assistance to support these efforts. OVC partnered with the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention to strengthen healthcare, corrections, victim assistance, and other community stakeholders’ knowledge and skills, resulting in innovative programs and practices that foster a better understanding among criminal and juvenile justice systems to ensure that these victims receive needed services and can exercise their rights. OVC continued to fund its “Vision 21 Linking Systems of Care” demonstration projects in 2016 in the states of Montana and Virginia. The goal is to ensure that children and youth in these states are assessed for trauma and victimization. The program is also designed to provide evidence-based services and interventions, regardless of which system a child may encounter or enter: victim services, law enforcement, child protection services, foster care, health services (physical, mental, and behavioral), juvenile justice, courts, and schools, for example. In 2016, OVC will competitively fund (up to $10 million) a National Resource Center on Reaching Underserved Victims. OVC’s Vision 21 Report, released in 2013, recognized the need to address obstacles to accessing services faced by many historically marginalized and underserved populations. This Resource Center will establish a one-stop shop to provide information, training and technical assistance to victim assistance providers and allied practitioners (such as law enforcement, healthcare, and mental health providers) to reach these victim populations, including boys and young men of color. In addition, HHS and DOJ announced a new grant award in September 2014 of approximately $3 million to help curb youth violence and improve the health and well-being of underserved and distressed communities.

Now people can keep saying whatever they want about what was and wasn't done for black people. I realize that we are living in the new era where facts don't matter and people can say whatever they want in the Social Media era. But facts are the facts. Black people have been helped directly in a way from this guy, that most other Presidents just haven't done or focused on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom