• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump privately signs anti-Planned Parenthood law

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

President Donald Trump privately signed a bill on Thursday that allows states to withhold federal money from organizations that provide abortion services, including Planned Parenthood, a group frequently targeted by Republicans.

The bill, which the usually camera-friendly President signed without any media present, reverses an Obama-era regulation that prohibited states from withholding money from facilities that perform abortions, arguing that many of these facilities also provide other family planning and medical services.

The bulk of federal money Planned Parenthood receives, though, goes toward preventive health care, birth control, pregnancy tests and other women's health services. Federal law prohibits taxpayer dollars from funding abortions and Planned Parenthood says 3% of the services it provides are abortions.

Democratic organizations blasted the bill on Thursday.

"Stripping millions of Americans of the critical health care services that Planned Parenthood provides doesn't just hurt women -- it hurts entire families and their economic security," said Stephanie Schriock, the head of EMILY's List, a Democratic political action committee. "This is just one more example of Donald Trump's White House and this Republican Congress taking every single opportunity to chip away at women's rights, and we won't stand for it."

House Speaker Paul Ryan called the signing a "a major pro-life victory."

Ekdrm2d1

I follow Planned Parenthood on Twitter just for this cause. The more support they have the better. This isn't the end. They're going to cramp down even more soon.

The bill, which the usually camera-friendly President signed without any media present, reverses an Obama-era regulation that prohibited states from withholding money from facilities that perform abortions, arguing that many of these facilities also provide other family planning and medical services.

Of course!

"There's nobody that has more respect for women than I do"

here's some of the times trump says stuff like that via CNN:

1. "I cherish women. I want to help women. I'm going to do things for women that no other candidate will be able to do."

August 9, 2015, on CNN's "State of the Union"

2. "The media is so after me on women. Wow, this is a tough business. Nobody has more respect for women than Donald Trump!"

March 26, 2016, in a tweet

3. "First of all, nobody respects women more than Donald Trump, I'll tell you. Nobody respects women more. My daughter Ivanka always says, 'Daddy, nobody respects women more than you, Daddy, what are they talking about?'"

May 6, 2016, at a rally in Eugene, Oregon

4. "Hillary Clinton just ordered $80 million worth of hit ads on Donald trump -- and it's hit ads on Donald Trump and women. Nobody respects women more than I do."

May 7, 2016, at a rally in Lynden, Washington

5. "She can't talk about me because nobody respects women more than Donald Trump, and I will be better for women by a big factor than Hillary Clinton, who frankly, I don't even think will be good to women."

May 9, 2016, on CNN's "New Day"

6. "I was so furious at that story, because there's nobody that respects women more than I do, Sean, you know that. And I treat women with respect. And I have -- we all have fun. We all have good times."

May 18, 2016 -- responding to a New York Times story during an interview with Fox News anchor Sean Hannity

7. "(Hillary Clinton) said this guy has demonstrated a penchant for sexism. Nobody respects women more than Donald Trump."

Dec. 30, 2015 at a rally on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina

8. "I have more respect for women than Hillary Clinton has. I have more respect than Hillary Clinton, OK? I will take care of this country far better than Hillary."

January 10, 2016, on Fox News Sunday

9. "They say, 'You can't say that because it's sexist.' I say: 'What's sexist about it?' I respect women more than I respect men. ... I have great respect, admiration, and I cherish women."

Sept. 23, 2015, at first referring to criticism of GOP primary candidate Carly Fiorina, during a speech in South Carolina

10. "I have tremendous respect for women, and I am going to protect women. ... (My daughter Ivanka) said, 'Dad, you respect and love women so much, could you talk about it more because people don't really understand how you feel.'"

Oct. 26, 2015, during a "Today" show town hall in New Hampshire

11. "I respect women incredibly. I have had women working for me in positions that they've never worked in terms of construction, in terms of so many different jobs. ... I respect women, I love women, I cherish women. You know, Hillary Clinton said, 'he shouldn't cherish,' well I said, I do cherish, I love women."

Oct 12, 2015, in response to a young woman's question at an event in New Hampshire

12. "A lot of that was done for the purpose of entertainment, there's nobody that has more respect for women than I do."

Poppy

honestly good luck to all the women living in the fucking backwards ass religious enclaves that are these states, i hope the worst for all of these cancer of humanity lawmakers. fuck off you old dicks

The Ummah

Banned
Yet another thing to add to the list of reasons why Trump and his cronies are pieces of shit. Fucking infuriating...

Ekdrm2d1

"There's nobody that has more respect for women than I do,

zdMaj6T.gif

Cetra

God fucking damnit. I get my HRT through my local planned parenthood here in TN. You can be your ass the state will pull funding. Thanks you orange hate monger.

Don't boo. Vote.

edited for the dipsticks: That is a famous quote from Barack Obama during the 2016 Democratic National Convention. So "calm down."

Crocodile

Rachel Maddow did an entire bit on how Trump likes to sign polices that nobody except the hardest of hardcore Republicans like behind closed doors. Add another to the list :/

This fuckery is not pro life. Its just anti abortion!
Not even anti-abortion. It's wholly anti-women and anti-family since abortions are such a small part of the services Planned Parenthood provides and they provide so many other important services as well (of course, to be clear, even if all they did was provide abortions, that shouldn't change anything at all, but still).

But yeah, this move is nothing but garbage through and through. Just pure evil.

iammeiam

The law once again raises questions about the power Ivanka Trump, the President's daughter and aide, actually wields inside the West Wing. The first daughter met with president of Planned Parenthood shortly after her father was inaugurated in an attempt to better understand the group that is regularly targeted by Republicans. She has also cultivated an image of a moderating force inside the White House.
The President has even said Ivanka Trump would be his guide on women's health issues.
"Ivanka is so much into that whole issue of women's health and women," Trump said in a 2015 interview with Fox News. "And she's my guide on that whole subject."

I wonder if somebody has explained to her what it is to be complicit yet. This sort of thing needs to be brought up every time anyone wants to pretend the "moderating influences" are doing anything other than protecting their personal brands.

This was done today purposefully because people were distracted by the giant bomb in Afghanistan. This is going to be par for the course - if there is a big news cycle about Trump doing something elsewhere in the world, he's probably distracting from something he is doing to sell out Americans or harm minorities.

ascii42

Planned Parenthood probably prevents more abortions than they cause, meaning this would increase the number of abortions that happen. Good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom