• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump reverses Obama policy banning sale of bottled H2O in Nat Parks

The bottled water was the problem, not the soda.

Hence the ban on them.

If it was 30% of the waste being soda then I agree ban them both.. but it wasn't.

Sure, that's fair, but my post was a counter to elrechazado's point about this rule being dumb, so hence the implication that Trump was right to get rid of it.

Madness

The name calling is getting a bit puerile.

EDIT: So wait, the article makes it sound like bottled water was specifically banned but not soda? While it was a step in the right direction it seems weird that they didn't originally try and take a more comprehensive approach.

They did. They found that 1/3rd of all plastic waste came from bottled water that hikers would buy and then chuck while on a trail. So they outright banned it instead allowing reusable bottlea to buy, or bring your own and use the filtered water available or in fountains to fill up. Coke and other soda still available.

The more comprehensive approach would have been more people upset at no drinks like powerade or coca cola or sprite. There was literally no reason to reverse this other than the fact a shithead former lobbyist for Nestle under pressure from the bottled water association decided to do so. Everything Obama has done this moron has undone. Including Michelle Obama's healthier school lunches for kids when the US is the fattest nation on Earth.

If it was comprehenaive enough, how is reversing the ban better?

Catdaddy

Its like he's finding everything Obama did that he can unwind and doing it and calling progress. I bet Obama doesn't even remember he did that cause he was ...like.. leading and stuff

DodgerSan

Just message a mod.

It's not a private message for a mod - like I said, I'm not calling for a ban, or any mod action.

It's meant to be a general point for all of us here, as we all agree to the TOS by posting here. This kind of childish outburst never used to be so prevalent. I wonder if the general user base here is skewing younger, or if people simply have poor self control.

National parks are often in remote places and visitors should have multiple options for accessing potable drinking water.

they had multiple options under the ban:
1. Water stations installed by park staff
2. Reusable bottles and canteens
3. Bringing in their own bottled water

The ban disallowed:
1. Buying the bottled water on park grounds

They could raise the fines for littering to ten thousand dollars, it wouldn't stop litterers who generally get away with it because park rangers can't be everywhere and national parks are huge.

Then enlighten me rather than coming up with an insult.

Is it possible for you to actually be civil?
I'm not sure why you attacking me with a poor assumption based on your misinterpretation of what I wrote is me being uncivil. Since you asked, no - stating that the original rule left a glaring hole in the stated objective of that rile does not, in fact, mean that I was proposing the way to achieve that goal was to eliminate the rule completely. Someone not out to score points like you were may have stopped to realize that I might be suggesting that the rule should have been stronger in the first place and also banned plastic for other beverages.

Linkura

The decision came three weeks after the Senate confirmation of David Bernhardt as deputy interior secretary. Bernhardt is a former lobbyist with the law firm Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, which has represented one of the largest water bottlers in the United States, Nestlé Waters. Nestlé distributes the Deer Park brand.

And everything makes sense. As well as Trump's usual "reverse it because Obama did it."

Monocle

Someone should tell him Obama had a policy of not posting all of his deepest secrets on Twitter.

"If Obama made a piss video he definitely would not share it with the whole world. Obama's discretion is a fundamental part of his character."

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Trump sells his own bottled water at Wolman rink.

trump_ice_water.jpg

I'm not sure why you attacking me with a poor assumption based on your misinterpretation of what I wrote is me being uncivil. Since you asked, no - stating that the original rule left a glaring hole in the stated objective of that rile does not, in fact, mean that I was proposing the way to achieve that goal was to eliminate the rule completely. Someone not out to score points like you were may have stopped to realize that I might be suggesting that the rule should have been stronger in the first place and also banned plastic for other beverages.

Ok, then how about just stating that when multiple people started criticizing your first post, rather than just doubling down on criticizing the rule itself.

It could have saved yourself a lot of trouble.

slit

He is only doing these kind of petty things because he knows it gets under people's skin and to be honest he is right. Some fall for it.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
The majority of the plastic bottles were from bottled water, not soda. And because you can use refillable containers with water but not with soda, the choice was made to bad plastic water bottles. It's not that difficult of a concept.

Also bring back the old title. Orange cunt.

UrokeJoe

So if you're thirsty and you didn't come prepared, it's tough shit asshole you're drinking soda? Thank you Trump.

Edit. Fuck that nasty ass tap water! Just make it easier to recycle.

So if you're thirsty and you didn't come prepared, it's tough shit asshole you're drinking soda? Thank you Trump.
No?? That was the old rule. You could fill up your reusable bottled or one you brought, or buy soda in plastic, but not buy water in plastic. Now you can apparently do all three.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member

The first time this phrase has ever been uttered on gaf without sarcasm

jelly

I would love to know what cretin has the job of looking through the archives to find stuff Obama did and put it in little Donnie's positive reinforcement folder.

they had multiple options under the ban:
1. Water stations installed by park staff
2. Reusable bottles and canteens
3. Bringing in their own bottled water

The ban disallowed:
1. Buying the bottled water on park grounds

They could raise the fines for littering to ten thousand dollars, it wouldn't stop litterers who generally get away with it because park rangers can't be everywhere and national parks are huge.
I understand that, but these options trivialized the law to such an extent that selling bottled water on park grounds might as well be another option. Not all visitors come prepared and, for some of these folks, stocking up on bottled water may be the most practical option. Perhaps more recycling bins with warning signs on park grounds would help? This solution assumes, of course, that most litterbugs do so out of convenience or ignorance rather than malice.

Caayn

I mean I kinda get why the was made in the first place but think that it's good decision to undo it. Especially when other bottled product where still allowed and people will just bring their own water. This ban effectively only had an effect on the folks who came unprepared by not bringing their own water.
Yeah it's getting old. Every single thread is the same old "get fucked orange turd!"

You guys are sure showing trump...
This as well basically. I don't even visit off-topic that much but even I notice this trend. I get that people don't like Trump* but do we really need to act like 7 year olds everytime Trump gets mentioned or takes a shit?

*I'm glad that I don't live in the USA and can actually say that he's not my president.

Verelios

It's not a private message for a mod - like I said, I'm not calling for a ban, or any mod action.

It's meant to be a general point for all of us here, as we all agree to the TOS by posting here. This kind of childish outburst never used to be so prevalent. I wonder if the general user base here is skewing younger, or if people simply have poor self control.
Then make a new thread, or like was said, message a mod to address this if it bothers you that much. What you're doing (citing the TOS) is work everyone would appreciate better coming from a mod, and not just a general sentiment from you.

Mathieran

Banned
This could be the first decent piece of legislation the trump administration has passed. If it's true that water was the only bottled substance that couldn't be sold at parks that is pretty stupid.

Edit: I think all plastic bottles should be banned though. Just sell reusable bottles to fill up

Drek

1. No, they sell reusable water bottles in the same places they used to sell the bottled water.

2. The vast majority of bottled water is basically tap water from a private aquifer ran through a filter roughly comparable to what you can hook to your faucet/have in your fridge. You aren't buying some magical spring elixir when you buy bottled water.

3. They were recycling. The problem is that recycling isn't a perfect machine where 100% of the material comes out the other side as reusable material. If they have a high quality facility you're probably looking at about 60-70% being viable for reuse, and then given the remote locations of many national parks you're then adding the transport, processing, and redistribution of that plastic at a far higher rate than your standard municipal recycling process. Just landfilling the material would still have substantial transport costs as well. The only economically and environmentally viable option was to simply remove the plastic from the shelf.

But hey, nothing more American than a lobbyist paying off favors within the first few months in the job.

Top Bottom