• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to tap Wall Street lawyer to head SEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjinaz

Is "for the american worker" the new "think of the children"?

Basically.

The elite wants workers. They need laborers to contribute to their wealth, it's in their best interest. What's not in their best interest is paying people decent wages.

So people like the Republicans and yes Trump in this case get to act like heroes bringing jobs to the people. But it's just a part of the equation.

People don't really care to think about it because they are conditioned to think jobs equals good no matter what. And while it is true that people need to work, poverty level near slave labor isn't exactly what people have in mind.

Peltz

Correct.

This thread, along with 95% of threads on financial related topics, is filled with a lot of uninformed opinions based on headlines.

She was the Chair of Litigation at Debevoise which is one of the first firms you call if you are in finance and getting into trouble. She led the team that defended White Collar criminals. Why wasn't everyone up in arms about this?

Regulators and the law firms are typically a revolving door. In one position, move to DC then back to practice with more prestige.

Correct again.
Solid post.

labx

Banned
It's Biff, not Cliff. And I really hate to tell you this, but if we're going down, we're taking a pretty good chunk of the global economy with us. You can point and laugh, but just make sure you realize your umbrella has holes in it. And based on where you're at, don't think you're immune. The far right is on the rise across the world.

Sorry Bliff, but FYI there are Bliff, Cliff and Riff. Anyway... your logic is: If US is going down everyone is going down with us because we messed up and there is no do-over? And don't worry about me I live in a "third world" country, Colombia, I now what is a rough life, being poor, being broke, being at war, being robbed, have a corrupt government, etc. If you are going to sleep better at night thinking "well at least we aren't going down alone" you can have that man.

ElRenoRaven

At this point it's no longer a swamp. He has upgraded it to an ocean. How any sane person can sit there and hear him say he's going to drain the swamp then see the exact opposite can still support his ass is beyond me. Course anyone with sense knew this shit is what he was gonna do and voted against his ass.

This is not necessarily bad. Chairman Mary Jo White was another lawyer with a history of representing Wall Street banks before becoming a regulator.

Let folks continue with joke posts and the fantasy she's tough. If she was making people uncomfortable, then she wouldn't be working like a Brooksley Born because she was sick of BS and corruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom