• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump triumphant: 'We're going to go a lot higher' than 4.1% GDP growth

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
TDF is not doing Trump any service in this thread. Which is both sand and amusing to watch.

Panda1

Banned
TDF is not doing Trump any service in this thread. Which is both sand and amusing to watch.
So you come to a thread called 4.1% GDP - what are you thoughts on why this happens and record high optimism? and why dont you think its hilarious when most 'experts' made you look like a clown telling you he is gonna TANK the economy.

You have to change the subject (typical TDS) to personal insults! (this is a sign you have lost an argument)

I'm surprised you did not throw in Russia and impeachment too! Wonder why?

Harksteed

Banned
another insightful post! slow down cowboy there is too much for us to take in
Mate all your posts are just 'everyone is saying everyone on the right is a nazi' repeated a dozen times. At a certain point there's not much to reply to your incoherent and rambling posts. In that sense you definitely mirror a certain US president. :)

So you come to a thread called 4.1% GDP - what are you thoughts on why this happens and record high optimism? and why dont you think its hilarious when most 'experts' made you look like a clown telling you he is gonna TANK the economy.

You have to change the subject (typical TDS) to personal insults! (this is a sign you have lost an argument)

I'm surprised you did not throw in Russia and impeachment too! Wonder why?

Economists, the experts, weren't saying that the economy was gonna tank, son. That was regular people expressing their general optimism for Trump being president, saying that the country will blow up in flames. It's hyperbole expressing their utter disgust. And note, trying to measure the worst case scenario under the max results of a trade war isn't saying that we're fucked.

There's so much to the trade war that you aren't condsidering like how Trump pushed the burden of paying for the war onto us citizens. Dude tried to sell a cost-benefit analysis when some people are losing their companies and jobs, meanwhile I didn't see much change, okay.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
His inner democrat shines through at times

Sure does.

Trump-Wedding-Yay-Clintons-998x646.jpg

Or all the elite are just FOS when it comes to the country dividing "party lines".

I bet him and Billy had a few Eiffel Towers in their day. ;)

Last edited:
https://www.dw.com/en/us-economic-numbers-are-good-but-are-they-sustainable/av-44858833

I thought the video was very informative and I wanted to share with others as I felt it suitable for the thread(skip to 00:53). This not meant to be a knerrjerk so I hope others will watch too. As mentioned in the DW video, the federal reserve is expected to raise interest rates several more times this year. And here's what Trump had to say about the interest rates with cnbc:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-dollar/trump-and-dollar-friend-or-foe-idUSKBN1K933P

In an interview with CNBC that aired in part on Thursday, Trump also said he was concerned that interest rate hikes would put the United States at a disadvantage. Higher interest rates and a strong dollar typically go hand-in-hand, because better yields attract foreign investment.

Yet the remarks, in an interview with CNBC that aired in part on Thursday, in which Trump said he was concerned that interest rate hikes as well as a strong dollar, would put the United States at a disadvantage, are not a break with his own practices.

From what I am getting, the short term will be good but it is unclear of if it will be good in the long term.

Corrik

Um

Those co exist in the immigration system already. Along with asylum/refugee/worker/petition conditions.

You don't think there's only one way to immigrate into the US, do you?
They again are contradictory. Thus, him saying he wants an only merit system, and you ridiculing the comment makes no sense.

Economists, the experts, weren't saying that the economy was gonna tank, son. That was regular people expressing their general optimism for Trump being president, saying that the country will blow up in flames.

Paul Krugman said something to the effect of "If Trump wins, the economy will crash and the markets will never recover." I believe the market is up over 40% since he was elected.

jono51

Banned
Our company is doing better now than it has in 10 years, pretty much directly down to Trump. Hate to say it, but he was right.

Bogey

Banned
The question is though - what does that GDP number actually tell us?

GDP growth is a fairly poor measure of general wealth, quality of life and happiness of a country.
Speaking in extremes, it's possible the entire GDP growth may be attributed to a single person in the US - which would arguably have little positive, maybe even negative effects for everyone else.

I haven't followed this too closely / if it's 4.1% real or nominal growth, but either way as a bottom floor, feel free to compare this to other countries as e.g. given here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_real_GDP_growth_rate . Looking at the countries with higher real growth rates (Uganda, Niger, Turkmeinstan, China, Iraq, Ethiopia, Libya etc. etc.) there just underlines how questionable it'd be to try arguing about how people are doing in a country based on GDP growth.

So don't get me wrong, most countries are striving for a reasonable high (but explicitly not too high, by the way) GDP growth, it's usually not a bad thing. But I'd be very careful trying to argue like "everyone's doing fine" or such based on this.

Last edited:
Looking at the countries with higher real growth rates (Uganda, Niger, Turkmeinstan, China, Iraq, Ethiopia, Libya etc. etc.) there just underlines how questionable it'd be to try arguing about how people are doing in a country based on GDP growth.

That's corrleation without causation. Just because you named several high GDP growth countries that are questionable places to live, doesn't mean it's related. I think GDP growth on a year to year basis within the same country is generally always good. Even if you want to argue about equity of the distribution of the gain. The only exception I can think of is a major shooting war, which would boost GDP, but kill a lot of people.

We've just had one quarter at >4%. If we start getting yearly averages like that, which I think is possible. Trump will be hailed as an economic genius. Obama and the media have been telling us for years that it's not possible to have the same amount of growth as used to be the norm.. I think it was an excuse for his poor numbers. His entire 8 years in office the GDP annual growth rate averaged about 2%.

Top Bottom