• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump's Natl Sec Advisor is "not on board" using the term 'radical Islamic terrorism'

Status
Not open for further replies.
HR McMaster felt phrase castigates ‘an entire religion’ and indicated ‘he’s not on board’ – a contrast with the president and many key staff members.

Participants tell the Guardian that they were struck by the contrast between McMaster’s worldview and that of the president, who has repeatedly used a phrase that Muslims in the US and globally feel portrays them as threats to be confronted.

A participant, paraphrasing McMaster, said: “He said he doesn’t want to call it radical Islamic terrorism because the terrorists are, quote, ‘un-Islamic’.”

McMaster, the participant said, indicated that the phrase castigates “an entire religion” and “he’s not on board”.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...onal-security-radical-islamic-terrorism-trump

Justin Bailey

------ ------
I wonder if Trump realizes that when his own cabinet members go against him so blatantly, it makes him look like a weak and ineffective leader.

Harpuia

The sheer amount of internal disagreement and overall disorganization makes me shudder in fear if something on the scale of 9/11 happens while Trump is president.

RPGCrazied

I wonder if Trump realizes that when his own cabinet members go against him so blatantly, it makes him look like a weak and ineffective leader.

Its hilarious. Like yesterday when he said deporting immigrants was a military operation, then Kelly flat out denies the military is being used.

120v

never understood the notion that intoning "radical islamic terrorism" will accomplish anything. asinine even by wingnut standards

ISOM

Fox News and conservative media could not stop the diarrhea from their mouth about this topic with the Obama administration. I wonder how they will react to this.

Mr.Mike

Somehow the generals might be the most reasonable people in the administration. Politicians get chosen for their terrible beliefs, but the generals get chosen because they're generals and have cools names. Except Flynn of course, but he's gone now.

MKIL65

What about radical white terrorism?

He should say that before he get's kicked out, but they would probably detain him.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Republicans seem to think that "Radical Islamic Terrorist" is a magic word, like in Harry Potter. Just say the magic word and there will never be terrorism again!

Steel

Banned
Somehow the generals might be the most reasonable people in the administration. Politicians get chosen for their terrible beliefs, but the generals get chosen because they're generals and have cools names. Except Flynn of course, but he's gone now.

Trump's first three general picks and general Flynn would have agreed with him on this subject. Fortunately, they all refused and he had to force someone sane and actively serving to take the position.

It's interesting to think that Trump's obsession with the military might ironically get him the people most willing to contradict him.

ISOM

Republicans seem to think that "Radical Islamic Terrorist" is a magic word, like in Harry Potter. Just say the magic word and there will never be terrorism again!

They acted like this during the Obama admin but I have to wonder if they still care. I just assume they're going to be hypocritical about this just like the myriad of other stuff they do since a Republican is president.

Aurongel

Republicans want people to naturally conflate those two words such that their new meanings and usage are indistinguishable. It's like referring to the ACA as Obamacare or Clinton as Crooked Hillary. It all about reprogramming how dumb voters associate separate ideas, say that shit enough times and it'll stick. I'm glad he has some people on his behalf that can think for themselves but the rank and file party line approach to politics these days makes it hard.

rjinaz

I'm guessing he has a lot of experience with the people of that faith, has probably fought along side them, lived with them. He knows that Muslims are good people.

Trump would probably flee at the very sight of a Muslim he seems that terrified.

HR McMaster felt phrase castigates ‘an entire religion’ and indicated ‘he’s not on board’ – a contrast with the president and many key staff members.

Participants tell the Guardian that they were struck by the contrast between McMaster’s worldview and that of the president, who has repeatedly used a phrase that Muslims in the US and globally feel portrays them as threats to be confronted.

A participant, paraphrasing McMaster, said: “He said he doesn’t want to call it radical Islamic terrorism because the terrorists are, quote, ‘un-Islamic’.”

McMaster, the participant said, indicated that the phrase castigates “an entire religion” and “he’s not on board”.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...onal-security-radical-islamic-terrorism-trump
A proper general who understands the situation on ground will come to the conclusion that other Muslims fighting Taliban, AQ, ISIS, etc are key to defeating them. Its teamwork, and we dont need the most important members of the team to be castigated in order to please drunk Nascar fan yelling about Muslims in a bar in Texas.

Daria

Trump is a smart man, surrounded by very smart people, good people, and his friend Jim said its radical islam so it's pretty much radical islam

What happens when you put a historian with a strategic military mind in with a bunch of racists?
Well, if LotGH is any indicator, you get Yang Wenli.
yang-620x.jpg

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
The Hannity sect of conservatism believes that for every time "radical Islamic terrorism" is spoken, a terrorist dies and/or a bald eagle with an exceptionally large dick is born.

Red

At other points in the meeting, McMaster laid out a vigorous defense of the post-second world war liberal order, calling it a guarantor of peace and economic prosperity.

I like this guy.

The Hannity sect of conservatism believes that for every time "radical Islamic terrorism" is spoken, a terrorist dies and/or a bald eagle with an exceptionally large dick is born.

Actually, rather interestingly in this context, Hannity and Co believe that Obama's reluctance to identify the enemy was the cause for ISIS' rise. With that perspective, it'll be difficult to see how he will be able to remain silent for long considering that Trump has hired a man "incapable of identifying the enemy." In reality, it is a stunning repudiation that a senior military official believes invoking Islam to be counter-productive, and therefore purely hateful.

RDreamer

It's really going to be interesting what happens with this guy. He's got a history of rebelling against command if he deems that the best route, and since they just fired Flynn I'm not sure they can oust another National Security Advisor for a while. He's got a lot of cover for a bit. That said, he's not actually retired which, as I understand it, also has some drawbacks like the fact that he couldn't turn down this job in the first place and may be bound by chain of command in a way Flynn wasn't.

Still, he does seem like a guy that if told to do something fucking dumb would say 'up yours' and do his own thing or leave.

Piecake

As soon as I heard that McMaster is most famous for blasting GWB for his handling of Iraq I knew that he would not be long for this post.

MartyStu

All this cat has to do is serve his time and fight the good fight until he is forced to quit or retire.

After this, he can pretty much run for any office he wants.

From 2 days ago:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/02/mcmaster-has-the-islamophobes-worried-good-214815

When America’s most influential Islamophobes are upset, you know the president made a good choice. “Score one [for] the swamp,” whined Robert Spencer upon hearing the news that Donald Trump appointed Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster to be his national security adviser. Spencer makes a living scaring Americans about the dangers of Muslim soccer moms. “John Bolton lost out to this guy?” sputtered his frequent partner in whine, Pamela Geller, who scoffed at the general for saying, “Every time you disrespect an Iraqi, you’re working for the enemy.”

The Islamophobes are not wrong to sense that McMaster will be hostile to their worldview, according to those who know him best. McMaster spent much of his career fighting and winning wars in the Middle East, which required him to know the local cultures and treat Muslims like humans rather than scripturally programmed robots. “He absolutely does not view Islam as the enemy,” said Pete Mansoor, who served with McMaster in Iraq. “He understands that the world is not one dimensional, that the Muslim world is not one dimensional,” said John Nagl, who also served with McMaster. In other words, the complicated causes of terrorism require complicated solutions.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

Fantastic article

For those to get a better sense of McMaster...

In the early days of the first Gulf War, then-Captain McMaster led what has been called “the last great tank battle of the 20th century” against Iraqi armored divisions during a sandstorm, killing or wounding nearly a thousand Iraqis in just over an hour. “Eagle Troop had taken no casualties,” McMaster wrote in a report about the engagement. “I and other soldiers offered prayers of thanks to God. We did not gloat over our victory.” Hopefully, that combination of a deadly efficiency, sincere humility and respect for his adversaries will help McMaster maneuver to the fore of Trump’s national security team so he can calmly guide the new president through the storm of his own making.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom