• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TRUTHFACT: MS having eSRAM yield problems on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Who is Matt, and why should I believe his post?

Is this just a blind forum echo chamber, or is this guy a dev?

StevieP

Banned
I won't say Xbox Done, but it sure doesn't look bright for MS. Sony holds all strings in their hand, if they don't screw up somehow, we could potentially see a PS2 vs Xbox era again. (if not more severe in some territories)

xboxdones1u9t.gif

Flops don't mean anything to the mass consumer. Software, services, pricing, and advertising do. Don't assume that what folks on GAF like most is what the mass market cares about. The generation is still up for grabs for anyone (PC wins anyway lol :p)

Edit: yes all the engines are scalable and will run on anything that they are made for (they run on current gen consoles too) and yes, you should trust Matt.

vpance

Nope, 3rd party ports being superior on the PS4 mean all sites will be using it as the system for their playthroughs of games. Shortly after launch word will get to casual gamers that the superior versions are on PS4 after the hardcore purchase them and tell their friends.

Yep.

CLEEK

If they do have to down clock this late in the day due to over heating issues, my already cautionary stance on MS build quality after five RRoD failure will be on high alert. Down clocking seems a last ditch method to address heat dissipation.

Buying launch day Microsoft hardware is not something I will ever do again, until it has been proved to be reliable.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Again, can someone please link me to the stuff these insiders confirmed in the past?

SRG01

I posted my thoughts on this couple of weeks or so back;

Betting on process node is LOL-worthy. That's the most risky path for any project to take. Fab processes below 65nm is not trivial, despite it (edit: some) being a relatively mature node.

Also...

Over a year ago, the ps4 had 2gb of gddr5, then last year it was upped to 4gb on improving ram chip densities. Sony got lucky in that ram chip densities are going up in time and recently committed to 8gb. It was never a guarantee. MS engineers needed that 8gb guarantee for their goals with the console from the start. Hence their solution using ddr3. Edit: mostly beaten above.

Examples. Because it doesn't look like it here nor did it work for either of the HD twins.

On the other hand, I'm betting PS4's COGS 3 years from now will be super cheap. GDDR5 will be cheap per GB because so many things use it.

Chip densities will become super cheap once stacked RAM becomes standard in the industry. It's pretty much old-hat these days, and the only real problems left (excluding process yield of course) are thermal management.

Rad-

I don't see them delaying or underclocking it because of this. Yields get better with time. They might end up with supply problems in the first year though. Or maybe even increase the price a bit.

nib95

Banned
Again, can someone please link me to the stuff these insiders confirmed in the past?

PS4/XO specs. Had access to early PDF's about the system breakdown etc, same one's VGLeaks later posted. They also predicted bandwidth number changes, certain games and more.

From my recollection, Thuway has only been majorly wrong about one thing, that was the PS4 upgrade from 4GB GDDR5 to 8GB GDDR5, but as I know it, most devs and sources had no idea about this either. On nearly everything else he's been on point.

Zapages

Wasn't there an old rumor that Microsoft wanted shorter life cycle for their consoles ala Apple like strategy? Maybe this is the reason behind it and we might get a 3 year cycle. :|

Or was that for their Windows... I don't exactly remember.

R3TRODYCE

I'm not going to judge it until I see the E3 showing but I must say as a PC gamer primarily if MS tries to throw me gimped hardware at a premium price then they can keep it until it gets price dropped.

CLEEK

Didn't the PS3 have yield issues too? So much that they had to disable one of cell's SPUs.

The parallel's are definitely there. :p

The Cell yields weren't heating related.

Sony just couldn't produce a desired volume of chips with 8 working SPUs in them.

If they do have to down clock this late in the day due to over heating issues, my already cautionary stance on MS build quality after five RRoD failure will be on high alert. Down clocking seems a last ditch method to address heat dissipation.

Buying launch day Microsoft hardware is not something I will ever do again, until it has been proved to be reliable.

With it being used for TV services too, it will be running a lot....Its on while watching TV and playing games, like your audio video receiver. Thats not helping if its having heat issues...

Wasn't there an old rumor that Microsoft wanted shorter life cycle for their consoles ala Apple like strategy? Maybe this is the reason behind it and we might get a 3 year cycle. :|

Or was that for their Windows... I don't exactly remember.

They've always been generally good at short life cycles for individual consoles.

I don't see them delaying or underclocking it because of this. Yields get better with time. They might end up with supply problems in the first year though. Or maybe even increase the price a bit.

All those possibilities seem horrific from MS's perspective. They aren't alone for a year to deal with their issues and build momentum this time around.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Why even release a console that's so weak? I was disappointed with PS4's raw performance estimates when it was revealed, but I warmed up to it. x86 architecture, large memory pool, nice iterative bump, should enable 4-5 year generations to return.

But this kind of performance MS is targeting is a wash. Why even release it? Probably platform and kinect stuff. Not interesting. Especially if we're stuck with this for 7 years....fuck.

Please hurry up graphene transistor researchers. This industry is getting boring.

ironcreed

Banned
Yikes!!

Seems MS gave up ALOT resource-wise for TV TV TV TV!!!! and SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS!!!!!

Yeah, I don't care what games they show at E3. Their design philosophy proves they have other things in mind that will hold what is possible gaming-wise back from what it should be. They are literally trying to be a Jack of all trades, but master of none. Such a turn off.

I want a PS4 day one but if that monstrous Xbone overheats now I'm afraid of what could happen to a stylish box. I have buried 2 launch PS3 and I don't want to suffer any more ;_;

Zukuu

Banned
Flops don't mean anything to the mass consumer. Software, services, pricing, and advertising do. Don't assume that what folks on GAF like most is what the mass market cares about. The generation is still up for grabs for anyone (PC wins anyway lol :p)

I know. There is still less and less reason to go for a Box (in particular europe / jpn), unless you're heavily into MS first party or Kinect 2.0 (which afaik can be used on every PC as well at some point). It has bad rep in the mainstream media and it has devastating negative feedback in the gaming community.

MS will market their console, I'm sure, but it'll be still hard for them to push Sony aside in most markets.

The most crucial factors are the release date and price tho. This is where the biggest battle will be fought. However, even here it looks like Sony will launch earlier and cheaper.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
PS4/XO specs. Had access to early PDF's about the system breakdown etc, same one's VGLeaks later posted. They also predicted bandwidth number changes, certain games and more.

From my recollection, Thuway has only been majorly wrong about one thing, that was the PS4 upgrade from 4GB GDDR5 to 8GB GDDR5, but as I know it, most devs and sources had no idea about this either. On nearly everything else he's been on point.

Thanks. I don't like negative rumors when it comes to gaming :\

Guess I won't have to upgrade my graphics card after all if the baseline of next gen will be targeted at 800-900Gflops

There's no way devs are going to build games targeted specifically at Xbox One's specs. Especially with the beneficial architecture of the PS4. It'll just be a reverse of this gen for multiplats for the most part.

Don't see why it would be otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom