• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turning a corner? Pirate groups fail to crack copy protection

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Cheeto said:
Oh wow, I didn't know about that.
For people who can't be bothered to click, but still show sparks of interest:

1. You need an Xbox with a kernel version of 4532 or 4548.
2. Upgrading the kernel to 4532 (Do not update to a version newer than 4598! You won't be able to downgrade!)
3. Flashing the DVD-ROM Drive
4. Buy King Kong and make an image
5. Patch your King Kong image
6. Get Linux
7. Get it started
8. Install it to harddisk (optional)

Following the details though is a tedious process, and this has nothing to do with piracy. Not even remotely.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Zenith said:
here is a list of the "more popular stuff" the scene groups have released since Aitd's been out:

Mountain Bike Adrenaline
Space Chimps
Crazy Machines II
FATE Undiscovered Realms
Aurora The Secret Within
Jewel Quest 2 Tournament Edition
Nancy Drew The Phantom Of Venice
Panzer Command Kharkov
Roogoo
Turtix 2 Rescue Adventures
Etch A Sketch
So Blonde

You would make a good politician.

Ladies and Gentlemen anyone can go to rlslog.net and click on the games section and rip off the latest, NOT most popular, game releases and then cut off right before it gets to Alone in the Dark, Devil May Cry 4, and The Chronicles of Narnia and not quote their sources. That doesn't mean they're the most popular after Aitd. Not to mention that the Onehitwonder rip of Bioshock is the number one most popular post on the entire site.

The fact remains that the scene still can make rips of any game and the scene always finds ways around DRM. Arguing whether it is an actual group or a single individual makes no difference because both further the scene and it's popularity. Aitd hasn't slowed the scene down one bit.

Haunted

Zenith said:
here is a list of the "more popular stuff" the scene groups have released since Aitd's been out:

Mountain Bike Adrenaline
Space Chimps
Crazy Machines II
FATE Undiscovered Realms
Aurora The Secret Within
Jewel Quest 2 Tournament Edition
Nancy Drew The Phantom Of Venice
Panzer Command Kharkov
Roogoo
Turtix 2 Rescue Adventures
Etch A Sketch
So Blonde
Oh shi- Etch a Sketch and Turtix 2 are out!? Damn!

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Thanks for the site hint.

TOCA RD 3 - 4 months.

Previous titles of the series seem to be too old for this blog.

I searched for them after a hint via IRC and saw diverse forum posts demanding a crack several months after game release for part 2.

So I put a bit more research time into it. TOCA 2 was released in April of 2004. The first crack release can be found in October 2004.

The crack for part 1 came to the internets at 03-28-2003, at least going by an underground release site date. That's a 0-day release, as they call it.

So I have to retract my statements. Still, RD3 with 4 months and RD2 with 6 is a damn long time for high-demand racing games.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Woo-Fu said:
It isn't systemwars. I'm a sony fanboy if I'm a console fanboy of any type.

The reason the xbox had a robust mod/piracy scene? Every x-box came with a hard drive, whereas the ps2 and the 'cube did not.

If the PS3 is so great about supporting homebrew then why on earth is the graphics hardware still locked up tight?

Serious piracy is a business. The ps3 is not the most profitable market at this time, simply put. That isn't systemwars, it is fact.
Doesn't every PS3 come with a hard drive?
My guess is that by allowing installation of Linux, Sony has removed the need to hack to get homebrew running, and by making all games region free has removed the need for region free hacks. Therefore, the only reason to hack is for piracy, which most homebrew type people are not interested in doing, leaving the less skilled pirates who are incapable of doing it.

RobertM

poppabk said:
Doesn't every PS3 come with a hard drive?
My guess is that by allowing installation of Linux, Sony has removed the need to hack to get homebrew running, and by making all games region free has removed the need for region free hacks. Therefore, the only reason to hack is for piracy, which most homebrew type people are not interested in doing, leaving the less skilled pirates who are incapable of doing it.
So before people did homebrew because they needed to hack the system? What planet are you from? The only reason homebrew hasn't surfaced yet is due to game os securities and the cumbersome access of debug through linux.

stuminus3 said:
Ghah, I hate these moron crack groups but I hate draconian DRM schemes that screw over honest consumers like me, I'm so torn.

Yup. This is "good" news in that it means less piracy and hopefully more sales for a game publisher (scare quotes because AitD is supposed to be goddamn terrible) but bad news in that it'll be used as justification to keep using more draconian DRM schemes, when the scheme used in AitD/Mass Effect/Bioshock is already bad enough that gamers should boycott it on principle.

TheHeretic said:
Just fyi, the game has been cracked. Don't know where the OP is getting that is hasn't.

...well, that's hilarious.

theBishop said:
The biggest reason why PS3 hasn't been "cracked" yet is that Sony provided an outlet for the people who usually do the cracking.

That's definitely a big part of it, but I think it's the whole conflux of factors, for PS3: it's less desirable overall to crack than a more successful system; it already has an outlet for homebrew-oriented developers; it's got a well-put-together system structure with no obvious flaws or vulnerabilities that can easily be exploited to crack the system open. I'm pretty sure someone sufficiently dediated could break it open but the payoffs aren't big enough and the task is too monumental to make it super worthwhile.

bee

charlequin said:
...well, that's hilarious.

no its not cos its not true, protection system works don't let anyone on here tell you otherwise cos the game is NOT cracked

as for, oh the games so shit they don't wanna waste their time cracking it, get real zenith posted all the utter shite they cracked since aitd got released, bottom line is if they could they would

laserbeam

Banned
bee said:
no its not cos its not true, protection system works don't let anyone on here tell you otherwise cos the game is NOT cracked

as for, oh the games so shit they don't wanna waste their time cracking it, get real zenith posted all the utter shite they cracked since aitd got released, bottom line is if they could they would

Less then Famous groups cracking less then good games isnt that shocking. In fact 2/3 of that list is the exact same group. Famous Groups like Reloaded etc arent touching the vast majority of that. In fact if you look at the relese groups history that released 2/3 of that list their entire history is around cracking shovelware.

Big Releases that matter get big attention. When games like Bioshock and Mass Effect came out the internet erupted into flames of OMG when is the crack coming, omg I wanna play OMG OMG OMG. It was all silly to watch while I enjoyed the game.

The Internet is in flames with AITD now alright flaming the game for blowing.

What cracking did do to Mass Effect and im 100% sure of it is delay the DLC. The DLC was intended for legit owners of the game but with the crack they can spoof legit ownership. They are working on a way to keep the DLC for legit only.

bryehn

wmat said:
So I have to retract my statements. Still, RD3 with 4 months and RD2 with 6 is a damn long time for high-demand racing games.

TOCA 3 (May have the wriong name, but from that series) was one of the only games on the original Xbox that couldn't be burned or installed to the HDD.

Thaedolus

Laughterjones said:
Bioshock over steam is $15 this weekend only!

This thread went from interesting to awesome in 1 post.

Thank you sir

itxaka

Defeatist
bryehn said:
TOCA 3 (May have the wriong name, but from that series) was one of the only games on the original Xbox that couldn't be burned or installed to the HDD.

It could be burned but not installed. It had a really nice protection scheme that I don´t understand why any other games copied.

Armitage

Evander said:
How about the fact that thegame generally isn't considered all that good, so people are probably focussing on hacking more popular stuff.

It's like how Macs get less viruses not because they are more secure, but because no one is really interested in creating Mac viruses all that much.

oh god

amrod

um.. your list is wrong.. a quick check of a nfo site

Space Chimps is out cracked
Crazy Machines is cracked too

i bet more are too but i am too lazy google more

[edit]fixed up a typo[/edit]

Top Bottom