• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turning a corner? Pirate groups fail to crack copy protection

ghst

thanks for the laugh
if this story has the shit publicized out of it, and in two months we still dont have a crack, well, well stare at that crumbly, treacherous bridge when we come to it.

right now im dubious.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Chairman Yang said:
Does piracy follow the same pattern? Is there an upper limit of difficulty, past which crackers will rarely be arsed to break the game's protection? If so, that's good news for software creators.

To an extent. If a small name game has tough DRM, they might not waste their time. But once a big name game comes out with that same DRM, they will do it for the rep. From that point on they know how to break that DRM much more easily and are more likely to do it for smaller name titles.

Somnid

Chairman Yang said:
The mod scene on the PC is heavily influenced by the difficulty of modding. Compare the simple editor of Neverwinter Nights (which ended up with a huge quantity of quality mods) to the more powerful, more complex tools of Neverwinter Nights 2 (which had drastically fewer).

Does piracy follow the same pattern? Is there an upper limit of difficulty, past which crackers will rarely be arsed to break the game's protection? If so, that's good news for software creators.

Sort of. Once it's cracked it's cracked forever. Like I said the hackers themselves simply use knowledge of each copy-protection and so any game down the line using it will be instantly cracked. This is simply an example of copy-protection keeping them out for longer than usual. It too will eventually succumb.

The reason your analogy isn't good is because breaking is always much, much easier than creating.

TheHeretic said:
Macs and Linux boxes are much more likely to have absolutely no anti virus software running. If you can create a virus for a mac you still target millions of people, windows boxes have far more loopholes and are more popular.

What evander said was pure nonsense. OSX and Linux are more secure by design.

You keep reiterating that point, and I agree with you.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I'm a big Linux freak. Still, most botnet zombies are running Linux kernels. So much about security by design. Can we drop that one now? It's besides the point.

I refuse to believe the groups don't want the AitD GET. A release will still spawn millions of downloads with their NFO in it. This game has been reviewed by GameTrailers, 1UP etc. It's a blockbuster game, although one of the not-so-good ones. That doesn't mean shit though when you want the fame as a cracker group.

There are two kinds of groups who crack pc games.

a) those who do it for straight up piracy
b) those who do it to remove cd-in-drive requirements or copy protection schemes that consume system resources (Starforce for instance).

with AiTD, Atari uses a copy protection scheme where you only need the CD when you install the game or patch it. So most of the groups that fall under category B are pretty satisfied with that and aren't even working on this game. Less people working on it = takes longer (or maybe never even happens).

SRG01

Actually, I think Splinter Cell 3 was the longest one that went without being broken due to Starforce, not SC2.

wayward archer said:

b) those who do it to remove cd-in-drive requirements or copy protection schemes that consume system resources (Starforce for instance).

with AiTD, Atari uses a copy protection scheme where you only need the CD when you install the game or patch it. So most of the groups that fall under category B are pretty satisfied with that and aren't even working on this game. Less people working on it = takes longer (or maybe never even happens).

Actually, both popular anti-copy schemes (SecuROM and Starforce) don't consume system resources. Rather, they interfere with the proper operation of the optical drive. Starforce from 2-3 years ago installed stuff into Ring0. Around the same time, SecuROM 6 (or was it 7) had some compatibility issues with some optical drives (I think NWN2 was one with a lot of problems).

Xapati

TheHeretic said:
Just fyi, the game has been cracked. Don't know where the OP is getting that is hasn't.

You sure? I was checking it out on a torrent search engine, and the comments were saying that there was no crack out yet.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
wayward archer said:

I don't think this is entirely true. Most scene groups aren't really interested in pirating games as they sometimes spend a lot of money in the pursuit of cracking games. The second might be true but I'd say real scene groups with the first motivation are near nonexistant.

panda21

well the logic is clearly flawed

if its the same protection as bioshock it can be cracked, so this type of protection clearly is crackable. just because a buttload of shit games have been cracked since then doesnt mean they cant do alone in the dark.

i'm sure Space Chimps wouldnt have been done either if it had the bioshock DRM, it no doubt had some easy serial number based thing or something that they broke in 5 minutes and if they can churn things out they will no matter how bad it is.

infact theres no such thing as uncrackable.

the only thing that i'm aware of that is becoming infeasible to crack is the dongle protection they use on things like cubase, although i think even that got done eventually.

and even so logic dropped their dongles (which were never broken on the mac) for logic pro 8 leaving it wide open.

dr_rus

Zenith said:
it hasn't actually. only one release which was quickly nuked.
As far as i know it was nuked for not including the crack, the crack was provided as a separate download.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
panda21 said:
the only thing that i'm aware of that is becoming infeasible to crack is the dongle protection they use on things like cubase, although i think even that got done eventually.
Virtual dongles were a big story in connection with 3DSMAX iirc.

Haunted

Perfect world would be a non-intrusive copy protection/non-draconian DRM that's too much of an effort to circumvent for the cracking groups out there. But if it takes tougher protection methods like Mass Effect and AitD use, then so be it.

panda21

i think for a while the dongles were cracked pretty quickly, with the newer ones it seems much harder. a lot of the newer dongle protected audio software either hasnt been cracked or took a year or so to appear.

itxaka

Defeatist
Some of you don't really know what the scene is about. And I'm not talking about the guys who put torrents out, I'm talking about the guys who crack the games, the "real" sceners.

Onemic

Bioshock was cracked though.

So maybe they simply don't want to crack a game that's in low demand, and is very complex? Mass Effect will be or has already been cracked.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
itxaka said:
Some of you don't really know what the scene is about. And I'm not talking about the guys who put torrents out, I'm talking about the guys who crack the games, the "real" sceners.
That shouldn't be a surprise to you though since the actual scene is really small and protective. As opposed to the golden cracking age, the 80s.

SRG01 said:
Actually, I think Splinter Cell 3 was the longest one that went without being broken due to Starforce, not SC2.

Actually, both popular anti-copy schemes (SecuROM and Starforce) don't consume system resources. Rather, they interfere with the proper operation of the optical drive. Starforce from 2-3 years ago installed stuff into Ring0. Around the same time, SecuROM 6 (or was it 7) had some compatibility issues with some optical drives (I think NWN2 was one with a lot of problems).

I'm pretty sure one of Starforce's past schemes ate system resources.

From wikipedia:

In March of 2006 a warez group known as RELOADED released a vast array of documentation about how StarForce 3 works. Alongside many technical details, it revealed how several resource-intensive procedures were implemented, such as virtual file system and functions protected with complex virtual machine.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
itxaka said:

Seriously. For the amount of shit people talk on "the pirates!" most don't really get how these people work.

Zenith

Banned
dr_rus said:
As far as i know it was nuked for not including the crack, the crack was provided as a separate download.

that was the reason given but the crack doesn't work regardless. it was a fake crack made by someone who didn't know the "etiquette" for releasing.

if its the same protection as bioshock it can be cracked, so this type of protection clearly is crackable. just because a buttload of shit games have been cracked since then doesnt mean they cant do alone in the dark.

didn't say it was uncrackable. and Bioshock took 3 weeks. this copy protection seems to tie into the games in different ways, meaning for each game it fucks up something different. if it wasn't for some random Russian and another random guy both working independently Mass Effect would never have been cracked.

Umm... Its been cracked for a bit now actually. Just people don't know the right places to get things.

I will gladly retract if PMed a link, but there's nothing on nforce so at the least none of the major groups have done anything. and the vast majority of pirates have still been prevented from pirating the game if true.

itxaka

Defeatist
wmat said:
That shouldn't be a surprise to you though since the actual scene is really small and protective. As opposed to the golden cracking age, the 80s.

I <3 Paradox and their intros on the amiga

I will gladly retract if PMed a link, but there's nothing on nforce so at the least none of the major groups have done anything. and the vast majority of pirates have still been prevented from pirating the game if true.

Check again, 09 of July 2008. It was nuked becasue it wasn´t included on the iso.

Durante

I think the bigger news in the same direction of "Turning a corner" is that it's still not possible to play "backups" on PS3. The usual reasons that were brought up in the past for this don't make much sense any more:
- "The PS3 has no games worth pirating" -- No longer true, if it ever was.
- "BR burners are too expensive" -- Starting from 180€ now.
- "BD blanks are too expensive" -- Starting from 7€/blank.

So I believe it's quite likely that PS3 is simply the first example of a modern console that is truly secure. When you control all of the hardware, the application layer, and the software that is distributed and have the ability to push updates over the internet it is perfectly possible to create a virtually "uncrackable" system.

If it is as I suppose, and PS3 remains uncracked for much of its lifetime, it will be interesting to see how the effect on this on both hardware and software sales plays out -- we'll see if the impact is anything like as big as publishers seem to believe. One part of the market I see being significantly affected is the price of used copies long after the initial sale of a game.

hc2

Emerson said:
Seriously. For the amount of shit people talk on "the pirates!" most don't really get how these people work.
1. Invite only
2. Skills in cracking, expensive equipment (computer resources mainly) or lots of bandwidth are desirable.
3. Access to pre-release material is another way to get invited.
4. Constant paranoia is a job requirement.
5. "A desire to live an alternative lifestyle free from the corporate world" is the nice version of why they do it.
6. IMHO, gets very boring after a short time. Who in the world really cares all that much about cracking software,etc? Better things to spend time on for me.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
hc2, I'm glad you understand but I hope it wasn't directed at me because I understand as well.

Woo-Fu

Banned
It is dual-securerom protection, dvd check and activation.

Trickier stuff like this often goes uncracked until somebody works up a skeleton key of sorts to crack any game using a variant of this protection.

It would appear that Alone in the Dark isn't motivating enough to go to that effort.

Think I would mark that up as a LOSE for Atari before marking it as a WIN for securerom.

Vinci

Danish
HarryHengst said:
That's not relevant. The question is if it helps increase sales. I'm not sure if that's the case with AITD.

Maybe it didn't - but an even scarier possibility: What if it did?

FLEABttn

Banned
First off, Alone in the Dark PC isn't a major release any way you look at it.

Second, many other games have had longer times be be cracked by scene rules.
-Bioshock was over a month
-Mass Effect is at 2 months without a good crack
-Dead to Rights was 2 months without a crack
-Splinter Cell *Chaos Theory* does count, 13.5 months on that one

I think it's good that it's taking longer to crack things (god damn people, buy your games) but I don't think this speaks for piracy on the whole and I don't think this trend will last too long. What we're seeing is new, not so commonly used copy-protection that groups aren't used to. When every game starts shipping with securom 7 and online activation, you'll see this is no different than any other copy-protection that gave people a hard time when it first came out.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Durante said:
So I believe it's quite likely that PS3 is simply the first example of a modern console that is truly secure. When you control all of the hardware, the application layer, and the software that is distributed and have the ability to push updates over the internet it is perfectly possible to create a virtually "uncrackable" system.

PS3 is not secure, it is obscure. There are not unlimited resources available to pirate groups, which means those limited resources tend to get spent where they'll have the greatest effect. PS3 being in last place(in America) means the risk/reward ratio is the worst on that platform.

...it is the same reason there are far more windows virus than mac virus.

Haunted

Zenith said:
Also there's a fake rumour going round that the scene groups all agreed to "spare" Atari from their incredible influence by not cracking it due to the company going belly up. Aside from the obvious reasons this is false such as them cracking plenty of indie games that were devs' sole means of income, Aitd being on 5 different platforms so PC doesn't matter so much, etc, the scene groups would no way be able to all agree on the same thing. Like I said, they're always at each other's throats.
Yeah, it's pretty funny that people generally believe that one.

theBishop said:
If crackers can't break the copy protection, where will Ubisoft get their NoCD patches from?
fixed. :p

theBishop said:
If crackers can't break the copy protection, where will PC publishers get their NoCD patches from?

Why the stealth edit? :lol

I liked the man's head exploding.

EDIT: because it's the wrong thread lol...I read too much GAF :lol

Tsukasa

Neo Member
FLEABttn said:
-Mass Effect is at 2 months without a good crack

Actually, it got cracked within a week.

This is all just pointless speculation. The Scene is made up of many individuals, and there will always be someone willing to take up the intellectual challenge of defeating the DRM.

Also, it's probably a losing battle to begin with. Online music is doing pretty well without DRM, the same will probably eventually happen with PC gaming (Steam anyone?)

theBishop

Banned
Woo-Fu said:
PS3 is not secure, it is obscure. There are not unlimited resources available to pirate groups, which means those limited resources tend to get spent where they'll have the greatest effect. PS3 being in last place(in America) means the risk/reward ratio is the worst on that platform.

...it is the same reason there are far more windows virus than mac virus.

Wow... injecting Systemwars into a thread about piracy :slowclap:

I seem to remember Xbox1's mod/piracy scene being quite robust...

The biggest reason why PS3 hasn't been "cracked" yet is that Sony provided an outlet for the people who usually do the cracking. Most of the initial proof of concept hacks in the mod scene come from people who want to do homebrew development, not rip off games.

PS3 allows anyone to write code for the Cell processor free of charge without the need for hacks. So rather than wasting time on buffer overflows and exploiting system calls, the homebrew scene can get straight down to business.

Evander

"industry expert"
theBishop said:
Wow... injecting Systemwars into a thread about piracy :slowclap:

I seem to remember Xbox1's mod/piracy scene being quite robust...

The biggest reason why PS3 hasn't been "cracked" yet is that Sony provided an outlet for the people who usually do the cracking. Most of the initial proof of concept hacks in the mod scene come from people who want to do homebrew development, not rip off games.

PS3 allows anyone to write code for the Cell processor free of charge without the need for hacks. So rather than wasting time on buffer overflows and exploiting system calls, the homebrew scene can get straight down to business.

yup.

Sony knows that folks like to hack everything to run linux onit, so instead they give you the option of running linux on it out of the box.

Top Bottom