• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wollan

Can you talk about some?
The Milford brothers for example. The eldery ones who was constantly fighting in... season 2? Doug marries a young vixen which brother Dwayne accuses of being a gold digger. And a murderer once Doug dies on the wedding night ("the Karma Sutra was her weapon") before he himself falls in love with her. Anyways, seemed like a non-important silly side story to me prior to this book.

Anyways [book spoilers]:
Doug Milford is very much the central recurring character talked about throughout the book. He was seemingly abducted by something extraterrestrial or from another dimension at young age. After a troubled youth he joins the army and eventually gets involved in top secret government stuff including the Roswell incident, various cover ups, presidential conspiracies and much more. He's seemingly a prototype Man in Black government agent. Much of what he looks into starts to tie back to Twin Peaks. He's also the officer who had the deep space listening station built in the nearby mountains where Briggs is stationed.
The vixen is speculated to being sent to end Doug due to all the dirt he knew.

Tammy (the agent working under Cole) has a big presence as The Secret History is basically her FBI analysis of a discovered dossier written down by 'The Archivist'. Her comments are all over and she seems to have a future purpose.

Log Lady, Jacoby's...

Various interpretations on two sides or lodges... and human outlook on what constitutes good and evil. Babalon, mother of all abominations...

There's some scary observations in the Ghost Woods outside Twin Peaks which we haven't seen in the series [book spoilers]:
Reports of a mansized owl walking on ground.
Also: A native and ancient north-western tribe of white skinned giants.

Some hints in tone of cosmic horror.

It's basically his excuse for having continuity errors. I wouldn't rag on him for being not perfect but it is what it is.

It's not like there are just little tiny details he got wrong. There are long involved backstories that are significantly different. There was clear intent here.

It's not like there are just little tiny details he got wrong. There are long involved backstories that are significantly different. There was clear intent here.
That's why "people remember things wrong sometimes" is such a silly excuse. Like, according to the Secret History, Norma's mom died five years before her appearance in Twin Peaks. Timeline/dimensional fuckery or just no-nonsense retcons of material that was introduced outside their creative control are easier to accept than the Archivist being incompetent.

This is a fan theory, so it will be wrong.

My current idea as to why the book is the way it is, is that it is designed as a trap. Something close to the real history, with enough verifiable facts that someone would mistake it for a factual dossier.

Someone like Mr C.

Like fake towns on maps, so you know if someone copied it. It's a trap. Someone pretending to be Agent Cooper might take something as fact should they find the dossier, and give themselves away.

Or the lies are there to hide the truths. Like, Garland would know the fabricated facts.

But, yes. Fan theory. So very wrong like all Twin Peaks fan theories. Maybe the show won't contradict it though!

Some of you sound like Trump supporters with all this 4D chess talk. Lynch is too perfect to have done anything wrong! It must all be part of the plan. The continuity errors and bad acting is intentional.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Some of you sound like Trump supporters with all this 4D chess talk. Lynch is too perfect to have done anything wrong! It must all be part of the plan. The continuity errors and bad acting is intentional.

I get that you're upset with how Season 3 is turning out, but there is absolutely no need to reduce others down to that level. You should probably step away from the community for a while if you're going to outright attack others.

I get that you're upset with how Season 3 is turning out, but there is absolutely no need to reduce others down to that level. You should probably step away from the community for a while if you're going to outright attack others.

I don't think it's an attack at all. It's just an observation that when you buy into a person too heavily, you have a hard time seeing things from an open and objective perspective. There is a very real possibility that these are not intentional events but actual unintentional shortcomings. It's not exclusive to Trump supporters either but they are a good recent example of this behavior.

I don't like to be a "downer" in threads with fans but I have to call it as I see it as objectively as possible.

JC Sera

Trump Supporters
could ya not, thats pretty insulting
people are allowed to have their weird theories about tv shows

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Geez, it's not like people are hurting others by having fun of speculating stuff here.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Okay, finished episode 1-2 last night. We were planning to cut it in half because it was already late but i had to finish it.
So.. Yeah.. This is totally up my shit. This is what i expected from Twin Peaks when i started watching it in 2004. That MD, Eraserhead, Blue Velvet and Lost Highway kinda thing only then in a series.
The mind of Lynch is working in a bizar way man. I envy his sense of reaching in creativity and telling stories. Still my favourite director.
These first two episodes are really dark and the caracters are super exciting. Dark Dale is up there with Frank Booth, what an amazing caracter.
Tonight dive into 3-4 and maybe 5.

Dunno if my gf is gonna love it tho. She loved the series but hated FWWM and disliked the final episode of season 2. So i am thinking its gonna be a lonely ride for me. But tbh that is the way i like to experience Lynch movies, alone.

Every fucking thread. No matter how innocuous or unrelated it may be, someone will make a Trump comparison. And they'll always defend it by saying, he's the most recent and prominent example of whatever point they're trying to give more legitimacy to.

Chumley

Banned
I don't think it's an attack at all. It's just an observation that when you buy into a person too heavily, you have a hard time seeing things from an open and objective perspective. There is a very real possibility that these are not intentional events but actual unintentional shortcomings. It's not exclusive to Trump supporters either but they are a good recent example of this behavior.

I don't like to be a "downer" in threads with fans but I have to call it as I see it as objectively as possible.

What the fuck. Invoking Trump when everyone is just speculating about a TV show.

That's like, beyond uncool. Please stop.

AoM

I haven't kept up with the thread much. Could you list some of these unintentional shortcomings?

JohnDoe

Banned
So maybe someone already pointed this out but remember the time Mr C was about to get dragged back into the black lodge? There was a zoom in on the clock in his car.

1ZZsw7Q.jpg
2:53

It's called a comparison.

It's a weak and desperate comparison to try and paint the other person in a completely negative political light. It's like Godwin's law, but with Trump instead of Hitler. Just a lazy hail mary attempt to win an argument. The concept of someone being so in love with a person/work that they'll forgive shortcomings as being intentional or beneficial has existed long before Trump. It's called being a fanboy. Or as the kids call it, a "stan." You don't need to compare someone being similar to a Trump supporter to argue that they might be fanboying. Fanboying isn't so outdated and foreign a concept that you need to draw a "most recent example" comparison by invoking Trump supporters.

g11

So maybe someone already pointed this out but remember the time Mr C was about to get dragged back into the black lodge? There was a zoom in on the clock in his car.

2:53

2:53 is also the time the One-Armed Man tells Cooper before he leaves the Red Room. It's definitely significant.

I've been retreading the Secret History audiobook the last few days while at work (first time was back when it first came out so I'd forgotten a few things) and I came across a part today that struck me as possibly significant. In the audiobook, while doing an examination of Nadine Hurley, Dr. Jacoby explains the backstory of his right-eye red and left-eye blue lens glasses. His theory is that because each eye corresponds to the opposite side of the brain, the red suppresses activity in the logical (left) hemisphere of the brain and blue suppresses activity in the intuitive/creative (right) hemisphere. Doing so, he theorizes, might force a strengthening of the corpus callosum, a bundle of nerves which connects the hemispheres and might force them to work more harmoniously.

At the time, I figured this was just Frost trying to find a logical explanation for Jacoby's funky glasses, but at the end of explaining their purpose, jacoby muses that a side effect is that the glasses give the world a purple tint. After hearing that, it made me instantly think of the purple or "mauve zone", and the red room. Though the red room itself seems far from logical in how it works, it made me wonder if where we see The Giant/??????? and Senorita Dido isn't actually a "blue room". Obviously in the show thus far we've only seen that area in black and white, so I'm just theorizing here but maybe we see it in black & white because "we" (either viewers or maybe just humans) at this point are still being too logical in our thinking and not using our intuition enough, and as the show goes on we'll see that that room is in fact blue as we begin to think more intuitively like Cooper did/does and the "mauve zone" is accessible when those two are halves of the mind are in harmony.

EDIT: This might also somewhat explain the genesis of the "blue rose" signifier for cases, i.e. that they are cases that require more intuition and creativity to solve than just strict analytics. I think that tracks because from what we saw of Cooper's investigative ideology in S1, it's far from traditional and logical. Even though we don't get to see that out of him, perhaps Chet Desmond was such an intuitive investigator and that's why Cooper and Desmond work Blue Rose cases and why Major Briggs was at least aware of them (him being similarly in tune with intuition).

PizzaFace

Banned
Okay, finished episode 1-2 last night. We were planning to cut it in half because it was already late but i had to finish it.
So.. Yeah.. This is totally up my shit. This is what i expected from Twin Peaks when i started watching it in 2004. That MD, Eraserhead, Blue Velvet and Lost Highway kinda thing only then in a series.
The mind of Lynch is working in a bizar way man. I envy his sense of reaching in creativity and telling stories. Still my favourite director.
These first two episodes are really dark and the caracters are super exciting. Dark Dale is up there with Frank Booth, what an amazing caracter.
Tonight dive into 3-4 and maybe 5.

Dunno if my gf is gonna love it tho. She loved the series but hated FWWM and disliked the final episode of season 2. So i am thinking its gonna be a lonely ride for me. But tbh that is the way i like to experience Lynch movies, alone.

She disliked the final ep of season 2?

Time to find a new girlfriend

I am on team 'some of these are just mistakes' but it's still fun to try and explain them away in universe. And while this doesn't extend to everyone in the show, we do know that Lynch tells people to do very unnatural things, and is very precise about it. It's fair to think Chrysta Bell might be struggling with her first proper acting job, but for all the people we know can give more realistic performances, I think its onr area where the benefit of the doubt is fair.

Listening to one of the many TP podcasts the other day, they discussed how a member on the cast list who has yet to appear is famous for playing 'monster' characters.

My Owl Man hype has increased tenfold..

Cheebo

Banned
Looks like the idea that Twin Peaks was not getting a lot of viewers is full on fake news nonsense. A massive 32% of the viewers come from streaming.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/07/twin-peaks-ratings-2017-season-4-game-of-thrones-1201853930/
In a statement released to IndieWire, Showtime states ”Twin Peaks" is averaging approximately 2 million viewers per episode across all platforms. That's based on five weeks of data, and without all delayed viewing totals accounted for, but 32 percent of the ”Twin Peaks" audience is coming from streaming (including both VOD and over-the-top services). That's a higher total than any other Showtime series, including ”Shameless," ”Billions," ”Homeland," and ”The Affair" — all of which average less than 20 percent of their vieweres from streaming.

It also has been rising week to week since episode 5:
Aside from a speed-bump at Episode 8, ”Twin Peaks" has been on the upswing since Episode 5, and Episode 9 landed the most live viewers since the premiere. It's still only 355,000 viewers, but the arrow is headed in the right direction.

Slaythe

How is streaming 32% if it gets 350k viewers live and 2 million is the average ?!

Do they count worldwide ? Which is still fine btw.

Cheebo

Banned
How is streaming 32% if it gets 350k viewers live and 2 million is the average ?!

Do they count worldwide ? Which is still fine btw.
There is more than live viewing and streaming. DVR viewing and repeats also count. 2 million includes the reruns throughout the week and DVR viewers.

Good TV finds an audience. Either when it airs or down the road.

This is good TV.

I know people hope there is more one day... but something tells me that if Mark and David decide they want to do more, that by then way more people will have seen Season 3 and be excited about that proposition.

To me, not watching live is cray cray. I want to jump online right after and see everyone reacting. I want to call my friends and be like 'Holy shit guys!' and find them in the exact same moment.

There's a chance I could get called by work during either part 14 or part 15. God I hope not though.

Thankfully I'm off call again for Part 16 and Part 17 and 18.

I look forward to the influence this new season has on video games

Fixed that for you. Don't sleep on Alan Wake and BWP:Rustin Parr.

Moff

u2vUEnN.gif

Looks like the idea that Twin Peaks was not getting a lot of viewers is full on fake news nonsense. A massive 32% of the viewers come from streaming.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/07/twin-peaks-ratings-2017-season-4-game-of-thrones-1201853930/

It also has been rising week to week since episode 5:

Can you read what you quoted? Twin Peaks is still one of the lowest rated dramas Showtime has outside of out of the gate flops like Roadies, Guerrilla or I'm Dying Up Here.

Shameless got 1.7 million live viewers for the first airing of the last new episode it aired. Homeland got 1.9. 2 million overall isn't anything to crow about.

Its unfortunate but when one looks at things like episode 8, it is hard to imagine a mainstream audience really sticking with it.

Showtime are probably playing on getting props for giving creators freedom and writing off the expenses. That may not be a bad thing either. Unless you are dissapointed in humanity's shit taste :p

Its unfortunate but when one looks at things like episode 8, it is hard to imagine a mainstream audience really sticking with it.

Showtime are probably playing on getting props for giving creators freedom and writing off the expenses. That may not be a bad thing either. Unless you are dissapointed in humanity's shit taste :p

Yet more people watched 9.

Look, nothing about this is conventional. It's success will be measured in how relevant it is years from now, and how many people it inspired to make great TV.

Fire Walk With Me, by traditional measures, was a complete failure.

But it clearly wasn't a failure.

3rdman

Trump supporters??? Really?

Also, unlike President Cheetoh who has never shown any proof of critical thinking, Lynch has earned that appreciation and respect over decades.

David Lynch had no involvement with The Secret History of Twin Peaks nor has he even read it.

David Lynch said:
It’s his history of Twin Peaks.

I didn't read it either so can't compare to this season. Maybe Lynch veto'd/changed some of the ideas Frost wanted to bring from the book? Who knows.

Levito

Banned

You really, really need to chill out. Calling folks "Trump supporters" cause we like a show you don't? You come in this thread and post ratings numbers like a child trying to reaffirm your ~*objective*~ opinion, then post this, it's comically insecure, you're not being "objective" you're being a twat.

David Lynch had no involvement with The Secret History of Twin Peaks nor has he even read it.

I didn't read it either so can't compare to this season. Maybe Lynch veto'd/changed some of the ideas Frost wanted to bring from the book? Who knows.

I think people overthink this quote. Lynch simply hasn't read this thing, probably never will, and so doesn't want to comment on it. He doesn't want to endorse it either because he doesn't know what's in it.

But considering it becomes more integrated with every episode, I'm guessing they both talked about at least some of the history of Twin Peaks. I imagine Frost told Lynch about some of the things.

If Lynch didn't want it published, I'm sure Frost would have said agreed. It's not like Lynch doesn't understand how fans are going to take it.

I do think it's appropriate that Lynch made a movie without Frost and Frost wrote a book (now 2) without Lynch.

Shauni

Can you read what you quoted? Twin Peaks is still one of the lowest rated dramas Showtime has outside of out of the gate flops like Roadies, Guerrilla or I'm Dying Up Here.

Shameless got 1.7 million live viewers for the first airing of the last new episode it aired. Homeland got 1.9. 2 million overall isn't anything to crow about.

I'm Dying Up Here is a out of the gate flop. Shame, good show so far

Kadayi

Banned

h2f2_LVKKoMZp5e2p79jvZrVFzImVrISC5Tn65e97EtlDVYennhtHT2BchH22gLXUbV-e_ILXmkWo0m7IEgrKbNTSLhjxmBNSumK22j8J5vG2dyLFFV7lX9VRRGBEdKh5F6z7n2Z

You really, really need to chill out. Calling folks "Trump supporters" cause we like a show you don't? You come in this thread and post ratings numbers like a child trying to reaffirm your ~*objective*~ opinion, then post this, it's comically insecure, you're not being "objective" you're being a twat.

This is such a twisted interpretation of my post that it borders on blatantly disingenuous. Who was called a Trump supporter because they like a show? Please point that out, I implore you.

The behavior that was pointed out is clear. When you assume even the smallest mistake, that would otherwise look wrong to you, is all part of some plan or intentional (repeatedly I might add) then you are displaying a certain type of behavior. It just so happens that the first thing that came to my mind was the Trump 4D chess meme.

The comparison was apt and the most relevant thing I could think of. Had I known that merely being compared to Trump supporters in the narrowest of ways would be considered such a grave insult, I would have thought harder and found a more acceptable comparison of fandom around a figure.

Ugh. This guy.

Again, I'm not trying to be a wet blanket and ruin the fanfare but when I come in here and I see people claiming that Tammy's acting is somehow intentional despite no evidence to the contrary, I find that unusual.

For instance, I don't think there's any other demonstrations of Chrysta Bell's acting ability since this appears to be her first real attempt at it. If you've literally never seen her act before and this is the only evidence you have, how can you assume it's intentional (other than blind faith)?

Joqu

Again, I'm not trying to be a wet blanket and ruin the fanfare but when I come in here and I see people claiming that Tammy's acting is somehow intentional despite no evidence to the contrary, I find that unusual.

For instance, I don't think there's any other demonstrations of Chrysta Bell's acting ability since this appears to be her first real attempt at it. If you've literally never seen her act before and this is the only evidence you have, how can you assume it's intentional (other than blind faith)?

I mean, I don't think Crysta Bell's bad acting is intentional on her end either, but I do feel like the kind of behavior that has resulted from it fits Lynch's M.O. when I look at his other work, so I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to go with it because he likes the way it feels off. Personally I just don't feel like judging the Tammy character in particular until I've seen all she has to offer because I think that sort of thing has worked out pretty well before. I feel like Lynch's work tends to have that kind of intentionality to it, yes, even if it happens to be the result of the happy coincidences he loves so much.

Is that that strange to you? For the record I don't particularly like her so far, so I wouldn't be surprised if by the end I feel like this was a failed attempt of inserting Lynch's latest muse. I don't like everything Lynch does. But I see the logic in the example you complain about, so I certainly don't feel like it warrants your comparisons.

Real Hero

because Lynch always casts unconventional (or in some peoples minds bad) actors and actresses. Jack Nance is super unconventional and so are plenty of the original twin peaks cast. It's a fair assumption that on using Chrysta Bell Lynch thought either 1) She fits the sexy but strange vision of the character OR 2) on casting her he decided he loved what she brought to the character. This isn't something that can be proved but it's a logical conclusion to arrive at from is previous work. She might be a bad actress in the traditional sense and that is exactly why Lynch is using her, not 'she's secretly got a oscar performance in her' '

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom