• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Wasn't really necessary to waste so much time with Belushi and Candy.
Dougie sex scene was really on point, also liked the Albert scene.

I'm getting really tired of those music acts at the end of the episodes.
Either integrate them into the plot or use them off screen in some specific scenes.
That's just a waste of time along with other scenes that weren't necessary.

I actually like the pacing a lot, legitimately. It is slower and I understand it'll frustrate/annoy some, but I actually think it's perfect for the show.

Also I think the scenes with Belushi and Candy were crucial as they needed to be caught up and developed more as they're obviously going to play a bigger role going forward and we hadn't seen them since Part 5.

Flipyap

Yeah, that was a pretty nothing episode, but at least we got the Dougie sex scene.
Buh? It had more actual plot and character development than part 7, it was also beautifully shot (for the most part) and ended with a new David Lynch/Rebekah Del Rio song. It was an everything episode.

This whole episode ending with a musical performance thing has got to stop. In my opinion it's a waste of creative potential. Episode endings should linger and be memorable. I'm not even talking about a cliffhanger, just an actual ending.

Best ending jam so far ❤

Song reminds me of the one featured in Mulholland Drive
Makes sense, given that it's the same singer!

This whole episode ending with a musical performance thing has got to stop. In my opinion it's a waste of creative potential. Episode endings should linger and be memorable. I'm not even talking about a cliffhanger, just an actual ending.
They weren't written as individual episodes though. It was one long script for the whole season (hence the '18 hour movie' phrase people keep throwing out).

The original incorporated Julee Cruise properly by having a reason to show her. This is just cheap and lazy even though I like most of the music.

Dougie is a meme, yes. But at least he's comedic and at times kind of emotional.

Audrey was never an actual good character once you get past her being attractive. Most her plots outside of the Cooper stuff were horrible.

I don't think you appreciate just how well done her interactions with Cooper were. There is a beauty in the simplicity of their attraction just like his friendship with Truman.

Chumley

Banned

They come off like contractually obligated band promos. I have no idea why Lynch wanted this shit.

Dusk Golem

Dougie is the meme. We're all getting trolled like suckers.

I actually non-ironically really like Dougie and his scenes. It's okay that you don't like it but stop acting like your opinion is somehow the right one and everyone feels like you do. I've been really tired of seeing your take on these things after you compared people who like the show to Trump supporters last week.

Flipyap

- These scenes are completely out of order. RELEASE THE SCRIPTS... like, seriously, I'd pay a lot to see how these scenes originally fit together.

- So...er.. is reality breaking down as electricity dies? This show is going to get a tiny bit weird before it ends.

- Candie is such a Moran. She's incredible.

Pennywise

I actually like the pacing a lot, legitimately. It is slower and I understand it''s frustrate/annoy some, but I actually think it's perfect for the show.

Also I think the scenes with Belushi and Candy were crucial as they needed to be caught up and developed more as they're obviously going to play a bigger role going forward and we hadn't seen them since Part 5.

Apart from Belushi being connected to Dougie in another way, there hasn't been a big major development for him.
The piece we already had showed more than enough to get a good glimpse of his character, this new stuff hasn't exactly changed much for me.

I have nothing against the slower pace, but at least do something meaningful.
The music is just pissing me off.

In the old episode with Julee Cruise they were there for a reason. Now it just feels like Lynch showing off what he likes or in that case what he wrote without a real purpose.

Buh? It had more actual plot and character development than part 7, it was also beautifully shot (for the most part) and ended with a new David Lynch/Rebekah Del Rio song. It was an everything episode.

Agreed, felt pretty satisfied with that one. Loved the vibe with the Mitchum Bros scenes, also the Richard/Sylvia/Johnny one was delightfully insane.

Flashbacks to Lost Highway with Cole opening the door and seeing Laura's face flashing in the entrance momentarily. Pickin up on all sorts o' frequences there aren't ya Gordie?

Vectorman

Banned
I see the parallels with Kojima and Lynch and their uh views on women might be a bit...hmm how do I say this... ''But once you recognize the secret reason for her exposure, you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds.''

Chumley

Banned
He wanted this shit cos he wrote an 18 hour movie, not tv episodes, and ending with a musical performance is a million times better than just stopping at a random point.

No it isn't. Just end the episode.

I see the parallels with Kojima and Lynch and their uh views on women might be a bit...hmm how do I say this... ''But once you recognize the secret reason for her exposure, you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds.''

Lynch has always fetishized women and the disabled. Even as a fan it's impossible to justify.

grumpy

Damn, that was fast.
Xwz0SmK.png

Solid episode of plot and character movement. I'm sure it'll okay better when binged, but not a favorite hour for me. Really enjoyed the Log Lady scene and the song at the end.

I actually non-ironically really like Dougie and his scenes. It's okay that you don't like it but stop acting like your opinion is somehow the right one and everyone feels like you do. I've been really tired of seeing your take on these things after you compared people who like the show to Trump supporters last week.

Thank you for reminding me of something that happened only days ago. Greatly appreciated.

You completely distorted the shit out of the actual comment, but still, thanks.

He wanted this shit cos he wrote an 18 hour movie, not tv episodes, and ending with a musical performance is a million times better than just stopping at a random point.

That is not a million times better in any world. The first season of True Detective is an eight hour movie. Would it be better if each episode ended with Woody Harrelson at a bar listening to a live band?

No it isn't. Just end the episode.

How about you just stop watching when people sing? Problem solved.

That is not a million times better in any world. The first season of True Detective is an eight hour movie. Would it be better if each episode ended with Woody Harrelson at a bar listening to a live band?

I barely remember True Detective but I'm sure it had a more obvious episode-y structure than you're implying. Either way I don't get the issue at all. I prefer the bands to that shot of Coop just standing next to a statue or seeing that girl lie in her bed post eating the frogmoth.

Levito

Banned
Definitely the weakest episode of the season, I didn't hate it but after the last couple it had a lot of dead air.

Log lady's message for hawk was chill inducing though.

Ashby

Lynch has always fetishized women and the disabled. Even as a fan it's impossible to justify.

I wish it was just fetishization. This episode if you were a woman you were either murdered, assaulted, dumber than Dougie or arm candy for David Lynch's character. The guy is a lecherous, old slimeball up there with Frank Miller.

Chumley

Banned
I wish it was just fetishization. This episode if you were a woman you were either murdered, assaulted, dumber than Dougie or arm candy for David Lynch's character. The guy is a lecherous, old slimeball up there with Frank Miller.

You're right.

bunbun777

Maybe you're supposed to reflect and ponder what you just took in while simultaneously allowing the music and mood to allow in the digestion.

Not saying there's any right way to watch this but c'mon.

How about you just stop watching when people sing? Problem solved.

Sounds a bit defensive.

Even in the defense that Lynch wrote an eighteen hour movie, I believe that it's the job of a professional to modify the script to fit the format. In this case, an eighteen episode series with individual endings, airing once a week.

Furthermore, I don't believe that the 18 hour movie defense justifies the music. If I went to the theater and saw, say, a four hour movie, I would be baffled and confused if the story kept getting interrupted by unrelated musical performances.

Dusk Golem

- These scenes are completely out of order. RELEASE THE SCRIPTS... like, seriously, I'd pay a lot to see how these scenes originally fit together.

- So...er.. is reality breaking down as electricity dies? This show is going to get a tiny bit weird before it ends.

- Candie is such a Moran. She's incredible.

The electricity comments play into someone's theory from Parts 1-4, Lynch has always loved electricity so it doesn't surprise me. Curious where they might go with that.

Apart from Belushi being connected to Dougie in another way, there hasn't been a big major development for him.
The piece we already had showed more than enough to get a good glimpse of his character, this new stuff hasn't exactly changed much for me.

I have nothing against the slower pace, but at least do something meaningful.
The music is just pissing me off.

In the old episode with Julee Cruise they were there for a reason. Now it just feels like Lynch showing off what he likes or in that case what he wrote without a real purpose.

I think it depends how you look at it, for me part of Twin Peaks has always been building up its characters rather than just the narrative. From that perspective a lot happened this episode as we built up the relationship between Cooper (not Dougie) and Naomi more, which when Cooper returns to himself and not Dougie will be important when that bridge comes.

The music scenes are indeed partially what Lynch likes, but also since these weren't developed as episodes but as a long movie and so there weren't planned ending points for each episode. I think they filmed 16 musical performances and then put them in each episode, more often at the end as an ending point (I say 16 because Part 1 doesn't have one and I kind of doubt the series final does either), but other times elsewhere if there's a better ending point Lynch decides while editing. I can understand the annoyance somewhat, but it'd really either be this or abruptly stopping at points since where episodes begin and end weren't really planned.

Is Richard seriously Audrey's kid? I really hope not, he's the most unpleasant character.

Unfortunately with this episode it looks like she's confirmed to be his mother, since Ben and Sylvia are grandparents and it's not Johnny's, so yeah. I'm very curious the story on this one, and where Audrey may sit in all of this as she hasn't appeared yet.

Sounds a bit defensive.

Even in the defense that Lynch wrote an eighteen hour movie, I believe that it's the job of a professional to modify the script to fit the format. In this case, an eighteen episode series with individual endings, airing once a week.

Furthermore, I don't believe that the 18 hour movie defense justifies the music. If I went to the theater and saw, say, a four hour movie, I would be baffled and confused if the story kept getting interrupted by unrelated musical performances.

He has to split his script up in to 18 episodes. They didn't write 18 cliffhangers or obvious ending points. There's not much else they can do to give episodes an "ending".

I'm not defensive it just seems like a weird thing to get upset about if you're going to say "oh I'd rather they didn't end with a song". Just...don't watch the song then. If you're saying "I wish they hadn't written it as an 18 hour movie" than yeah, I get that. But they did and I'd rather they just stick to what they intended rather than create endings in post.

Sounds a bit defensive.

Why does this have to be like other TV shows or movies?

Fou-Lu

Unfortunately with this episode it looks like she's confirmed to be his mother, since Ben and Sylvia are grandparents and it's not Johnny's, so yeah. I'm very curious the story on this one, and where Audrey may sit in all of this as she hasn't appeared yet.

Coma after the explosion and gave birth to John Justice Wheeler's kid (ew) while in a coma? And is still in that coma?

That's my bet. Unless other material has talked about what happened to her after the explosion that I don't know about.

Ashby

Coma after the explosion and gave birth to John Justice Wheeler's kid (ew) while in a coma? And is still in that coma?

That's my bet. Unless other material has talked about what happened to her after the explosion that I don't know about.

Another theory is that Evil Coop raped and impregnated her in the hospital

Levito

Banned

Doc Hayward said Boop visited Audrey in the hospital so... yikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom