• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Is Jack Rabbits Place the same place as One Eyed Jacks?
Because the picture they recieved out of the tube shows the same bunny/bug image from the card and it looks like an eyebrow above it and next to it there is a circle/dot that doesnt look like an eye. So it looks like a drawing of a person with one eye. Also Jack Rabbits matches the bunny theory.

The two triangles looks like the mountains from Twin Peaks in the "Welcome to Twin Peaks sign" but that is just a coincedence i think.

Hope i make sense lol

Zoe

Jack Rabbit's Place is supposed to be near the military facility while One Eyed Jack's is across the Canadian border.

Is the bunny reference a nod to the Lynch-influenced Donnie Darko?

I'm really intrigued by the 'ten day theory', the only part that confused me was Mr C's timeline (although the Buenos Aires box would make sense as a magic time-travelling message device I guess).

I mean, we already had Bunnies in Inland Empire.

[in Beavis voice] oooooh yeah. Uh huh huh.

I think it was the idea of messy timelines, future/past, circles being completed that reminded me of DD.

During my weekend half-way re-watch, an image that stood out to me was two lodges merging in the screen. Not sure if it just meant 'doppelganger appearing' or a separation of time lines?

I'll see if I can find a gif to show the scene I mean.

Levito

Banned
Currently having some racing thoughts over all the series has gone over so far. I don't know if this is relevant or not, but you know fucking what?

4d1b489c76371dc73e100f867884af53.png

This could be interpreted as a rabbit, and the place they need to go is Jack Rabbit's Palace, since Mr. C asks Daria when he's going to kill her if she has Ray's coordinates or recognizes this symbol, and through the whole season the thing he has been wanting the most is some coordinates, and I'm betting the coordinates he wants is for where Jack Rabbit's Palace is represented by the symbol since the same symbol is on Major Brigg's note for the location...

0730ca61f65b8ae6b745418c57451cc5.png

"Is it about the bunny? No, it's not about the bunny."

But it turns out there's a lot about bunnies that may actually be relevant.

People have pointed this out already, I think several parties are going to lodge entrances all at once fairly soon.

smisk

I can see why you wouldn't like The Return if you're just a Twin Peaks fan, it's very different. But I can't imagine anyone who truly likes David Lynch having anything but a positive reaction to the series.

DJMicLuv

My 'theory' is that the 'blob' is the pool of black ick and the things that look like antlers are the two peaks which it sits between. It's similar to the square between the two triangles from the original series but whereas that represented the intersecting point between the worlds - the red room - Evil Coops image represent the black/evil that's escaping from that intersection. Or it could just be the 'monster' that Briggs showed Coop at the lab before he disappeared that is referenced in the Secret History.

WriterGK

I am starting to get the old topic feeling back with these last two pages, really nice.
I am really thinking Dougie will be normal again next episode :D
Does anyone know if Reddit is mostly right or wrong about theories on tv/movies cause I don't follow them that often.

Levito

Banned
Hmm makes me think this probably *isn't* Coop waking up episode, cause if it's that it'll leak soooooooooo fast.

Will viewers have to sign an NDA?

Surely if this is the wake up episode they wouldn't risk spoiling it?

All it really takes is one person snapping a pic from a panel and tweeting it for spoilers to rain heavy. Comic Con stuff always leaks.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Talking about Rabbits, I'd love me some more Rabbits kind of moments in the series. But it's not worth considering the possible reactions here.

g11

Does anyone know if Reddit is mostly right or wrong about theories on tv/movies cause I don't follow them that often.

"Mostly" is hard to gauge because essentially you have so many theories that eventually someone is right. From what I remember people predicted a lot of the stuff in Westworld ahead of time on reddit but they also probably predicted 10-100x as much stuff that was completely wrong, so...

As for Episode 11 spoilers, can we make a lady's & gentlemen's agreement not to spoil it in here, if by chance anyone sees it early? At the very least spoiler tag it?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah spoiler-tagging would be great, plus no posting tweet links that talk about the plot explicitly. I'd say reactions are fine as long as they don't talk about the content. That said, like only one or two people here have talked about going to the screening.

What was the twist?

Westworld Spoilers:
There were two timelines, separated by 30 years. The apparent main villain was actually a friend of Dolores in the early timeline.

I liked it though and can't wait for S2.

"Mostly" is hard to gauge because essentially you have so many theories that eventually someone is right. From what I remember people predicted a lot of the stuff in Westworld ahead of time on reddit but they also probably predicted 10-100x as much stuff that was completely wrong, so...

As for Episode 11 spoilers, can we make a lady's & gentlemen's agreement not to spoil it in here, if by chance anyone sees it early? At the very least spoiler tag it?

Yes to this. Spoilers don't bug me but I don't want to ruin it for others. Heck, I'd read the whole damn shooting script if it was available :p

WriterGK

What was the twist?

Westworld spoiler:
William that young and nobel dude was actually Ed Harris his character but then in the past, Harris was him in the future. He is that young and kind guy who is really sweet, kind and caring. And he turns into such an evil monster as Ed Harris eventually because he is him

Here's another fun Lucy one from reddit:

Lucy and the uncertainty principle

Throughout this season Lucy makes statements or observations that seem to question the reality, state and location of things and persons around her:

Talking to the insurance agent, she confused him and the viewers by going about the two sheriffs. At that point, Frank Truman hadn't been seen yet, he was in an unobserved, uncertain state, as it were. Lucy knew something the insurance agent didn't – that there are two sheriffs with the same name – but she is also reminding viewers of the show's duality theme and that it "might make a difference".

Enter Sheriff F. Truman while he and Lucy are on the phone. Her reaction to him walking through the door when she thought he was in the mountains fishing has been interpreted by viewers to mean she doesn't understand mobile technology. While her reaction is exaggerated, the scene illustrates that observation rather than assumption determines an object's location and state.

Perhaps prompted by that experience, Lucy goes on phone support worrying about the climate control and whether it is on when nobody is at the Sheriff's Office. This recalls the Buddhist kōan "if a tree falls in the forest and nobody hears it, does it make a sound?" but also the uncertain quantum state of objects unobserved.

The missing chocolate bunny from the Laura Palmer file turns out to have been eaten by Lucy. Her uncertainty seems to be rubbing off on Andy and Hawk in this scene: "We laid everything out, Hawk, and we can't find anything that's missing." – "If it's not here, then how do you know it's missing?" Although it's tempting to include all of the Sheriff's Office in the indeterminacy allegory, as a big Schrödinger box, this scene centers on Lucy becoming the vessel of the missing bunny.

Shopping online for furniture, the lounge chair hovers in a virtual indeterminate state between beige and red until Lucy places her order. In a capricious turn she picks Andy's preferred colour, leaving the true color state of the chair unknown to him until it arrives. The chair, as far as Andy is concerned, is beige until he sees it unpacked.

Eating her lunch at the reception desk when Hawk, Truman and Bobby return from Mrs Briggs', Lucy informs them that she is on her break (which the men ignore striding by). Except that's not what she says, but rather "I'm not here", which is a contradiction in terms taken at face value. Her statement is written by Lynch/Frost as part joke, part profundity as she is clearly at her work station but isn't working at the time. The double meaning of "being here" again evokes an indeterminate state.

Some additional posts from that thread that stood out:

S3E10 also included a quick snippet of what appeared to be a bit of throw-away dialogue by lucy on the topic of uncertain / indeterminate time. but i'm convinced it implies something significant re: non-linear time in the show, or the relativity of time for different objects moving through the "space" of the narrative. lucy on some level perceives that time in twin peaks is acting less like a straight line, and more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

"that depends on what time it is. i mean sometimes there’s not even enough time to think of anything. one time, andy was even thinking that the clock had stopped. and then we realized that we didn’t even know what time it was! it seemed like forever when-"

"The Path to the Black Lodge" episode quotes Heisenberg directly.
Cooper leads off a conversation with Annie quoting Augustine, "Hear the other side, see the other side." He expresses his attraction to Annie, saying that he's involved in a complicated investigation but spends most of his time thinking about her. She tells him she's been seeing his face in fried eggs all morning. They discuss scientific findings that there is a chemical basis to attraction, Annie asking "is that what it is", and Cooper says it's hard to comprehend without perspective. They talk a little more and Cooper tells Annie they are very much alike, then says they think too much.

ANNIE: What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning. COOPER: Heisenberg.

They make a date for Cooper to teach her dancing that evening. They kiss, there is a crash, and we see behind the counter dirty dishes broken on the floor in a peculiar place for them to be as they'd not been on the counter and no bus tray is nearby that might have tipped over. Atop is a cup of coffee tipped just enough that coffee spills a little over the lip of the cup. A close up shows the coffee dripping so slowly it is like syrup, then becoming even slower. Two episodes later, in the final episode of the season, The Old Waiter brings Cooper a cup of coffee in the Red Room, at which point he is replaced by The Giant who states, "One and the same." When Cooper at first tips the cup the coffee appears to be congealed, then he tips it again and it freely flows. He tips it again and it is now viscous.

I love it.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Here's another fun Lucy one from reddit:

Lucy and the uncertainty principle

I love it.

I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if Frost and Lynch decided to load Lucy up with philosophical loaded statements and questions poised as her being air-headed and unorthodox. The sort of 'quirky' where at a glance she seems like she's bubbly and not very smart, but really she's just seeing things from a different way that questions things we have assumptions are normal, but don't question enough ourselves, IE we assume things and fill in things to draw an early conclusion rather than being open to the possibility there's a very different thing to take from even the mundane.

It may not be intentional in the slightest, but almost all of Lucy's scenes have been relevant to the understanding of time, place, and state.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

"The Path to the Black Lodge" episode quotes Heisenberg directly.
Cooper leads off a conversation with Annie quoting Augustine, "Hear the other side, see the other side." He expresses his attraction to Annie, saying that he's involved in a complicated investigation but spends most of his time thinking about her. She tells him she's been seeing his face in fried eggs all morning. They discuss scientific findings that there is a chemical basis to attraction, Annie asking "is that what it is", and Cooper says it's hard to comprehend without perspective. They talk a little more and Cooper tells Annie they are very much alike, then says they think too much.

ANNIE: What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning. COOPER: Heisenberg.

They make a date for Cooper to teach her dancing that evening. They kiss, there is a crash, and we see behind the counter dirty dishes broken on the floor in a peculiar place for them to be as they'd not been on the counter and no bus tray is nearby that might have tipped over. Atop is a cup of coffee tipped just enough that coffee spills a little over the lip of the cup. A close up shows the coffee dripping so slowly it is like syrup, then becoming even slower. Two episodes later, in the final episode of the season, The Old Waiter brings Cooper a cup of coffee in the Red Room, at which point he is replaced by The Giant who states, "One and the same." When Cooper at first tips the cup the coffee appears to be congealed, then he tips it again and it freely flows. He tips it again and it is now viscous.

I love it.

I always made this connection and found it awesome. It was easy to miss as well.

Did I hear it wrong or did Albert say it was Tammy that received the text from Doppelcoop? It didn't hit me until after Tammy came to the door. Dunno if I heard it wrong or if some Doppelcoop technology is involved in confusing it all.
It was Diane. You might be confused because Albert mentioned that Tammy ran down Diane's phone records and uncovered her strange habits.

There's enough information already laid out in the show that points to a resolution of sorts coming up fairly shortly within the show's narrative. It's not going to take 8 episodes to get to the meeting at jackrabbits which is due in a couple of days IIRC. There's too much going on for the show to try and slow the passing of time down to that degree.
I'm sure you're right that the Jack Rabbit's scene is happening soon. I'm not sure you're right that this will resolve the "in-limbo Cooper" plot in one fell swoop. Without that plot, there isn't a show right now. The plot of the show *is* that Cooper is trapped and evil forces are bearing down on him. They could need "real Cooper" to come in and fight those forces back and spend the last 7 episodes doing that. Or the happy ending could be, "hey, Cooper's back, we saved him everybody!" And you don't really see "real Cooper" until the very end. Or, maybe that force that captured Laura Palmer in the first episode (where she started screaming and got sucked into nothing) is the true enemy and we'll fight that.

At any rate, it's certainly a possibility that this whole season will not have Cooper actually in it.

I think it's perfectly valid. Certainly, the show is currently being doled out to us on a weekly basis now, but once it is released on DVD/Blu-ray do you think people are going to consume it that way? Not at all. They'll binge. The main pity with the series is that it wasn't produced by Netflix because they've given the whole thing to us in one hit. In fact, if anything Lynch is kind of pointing the way for binge shows moving forward. Orange is the New Black sort of broke out this season with its narrative approach in that regard tbh.
I'm sympathetic to the fact that Showtime wanted episodes when Lynch wanted to make an 18-hour megamovie and we're getting a compromise, but that's kind of insane, right? The format doesn't work for the content, and in my estimation, since an 18-hour movie is a crazy idea in the first place (and not one that's being executed particularly well right now), embracing episodic television should have bent the content to the format. The show is hurt by doing the inverse; we will probably never see an 18-hour mega-cut that has what Lynch had in mind, so he did his own work a disservice formatting it this way, with the musical breaks and episodes and subplots that go almost nowhere. It would be one thing if the result was super compelling but right now I see no basis for being so reticent about simply using an episodic format. That's the medium he chose. Embrace it.

I don't think Lynch is "pointing the way towards binge watching." That's giving him may too much credit.

Speaking of r/TwinPeaks, a family member of the owner of the real life GPS coordinates is pleading with people to stop trespassing on their property.

Honestly pretty bad form from Lynch/Frost and everyone involved for not asking for permission or checking what those coordinates lead. This is like the lady that owns the Breaking Bad house IRL and keeps getting pizza thrown on her roof.

I don't think you need to ask permissions to share coordinates to anything. And they were pretty hidden.

Definitely sucks that people are trespassing. The people I know who went out there didn't leave the road, so they're cool. But they're just co-ordinates. I'm glad it wasn't somewhere dangerous.

I hope they like the show though now that they're going to start watching.

At any rate, it's certainly a possibility that this whole season will not have Cooper actually in it.

Nah. I mean Cooper was absolutely in Part 1, 2 and 3. He'll be back to normal again, just hard to say exactly when.

Levito

Banned
I don't think you need to ask permissions to share coordinates to anything. And they were pretty hidden.

Yeah but all Lynch/Frost needed to do is open google maps and go "oh somebody lives here, maybe we should pick a public parking lot instead cause our fans are silly and will go investigate".

My 'theory' is that the 'blob' is the pool of black ick and the things that look like antlers are the two peaks which it sits between. It's similar to the square between the two triangles from the original series but whereas that represented the intersecting point between the worlds - the red room - Evil Coops image represent the black/evil that's escaping from that intersection. Or it could just be the 'monster' that Briggs showed Coop at the lab before he disappeared that is referenced in the Secret History.
I like the "oil pool + peaks" interpretation. Couldn't it also be one of those frogbug things from Part 8?

Chitown B

Off the top of my head, here's a personal list of pros and cons so far:

CONS
-The "Red Room" and whatever other rooms affiliated with the red curtains are way off from the feeling they had in the original series and in the movie. It no more feels like a semi-claustrophobic but mysteriously wonderful place to visit. It feels like a place to watch from the audience. It feels like an open stage. I take it the way it is though. It's better than nothing and the lodge stuff is always interesting no matter how it looks like.
-The "Lodge talk" has not been on par with the movie and the original series. For me, only the American Girl has sounded amazing.
-While I don't mind having the music numbers, most of the songs have not been good. I've only liked the Chromatics song and the Rebekah del Rio song. NIN was perhaps the least good of all of them.
-Especially in the first couple of episodes the tone of the series was nearly unbearably bad with the lack of music and all. However, if that really ends up being part of the plan to slowly drop in the mood we all know, then this ends up being a pro.
-The scenes with Bill Hastings have been awkward to watch because of his acting. And I really usually like Lillard.
-The scene where Ike kills the woman was tonally completely broken. That song was absolutely horrible. I don't care if it was about some contrast or whatever. It just was awful to watch while it constanty felt it could've been a great scene.
-I don't mind slow scenes in general but while I could watch Dougie watch the statue with that music on forever some of the scenes just feel way longer than it's good for them.

PROS
-Dougie is great. I think I wouldn't mind if Cooper would never come back.
-Wally was great. One of the funniest scenes in the series.
-Tammy is great. She's like an intelligent lizard/swan/deer person. Her movements remind me of slow moving smoke. I find it fascinating that she is at that position on her job. People seem to be unable to fit the Tamara in The Secret History to Bell's Tamara, but I find it really interesting that she is what she is.
-Jim Belushi and Robert Knepper are fantastic in their roles. I'm always interested in what they are up to.
-The Richard Horne scenes are always something that keeps me at the edge of my seat. The energy always ramps up when he appears.
-The scene with Tammy, Cole and Diane with the cigarette is one of the best scenes in the show. I think that whatever doubts people have had about Tammy should now be corrected. This scene wouldn't be what it is now without her way of being.
-I absolutely loved the namedrops of Annie and Harold. I'm so glad the theories about an alternate dimension where Annie has been erased (or the theories about a complete retcon) were shattered with that.
-The atom bomb scene was great.
-The Eyeless Woman scene was fantastic. In fact it was the first time I felt the season might be good after all.
-I'm definitely seeing a shift in mood and tone towards OG Twin Peaks type of stuff. And the editing and rhythm of the show seems to be getting better too.

For people who are disappointed with the series and worry that time is running out, just remember that there were eight episodes in the first season. We are still going to get that many episodes. Plenty of things can happen during those episodes.

Is it objectively art though ;)

I feel like we are exact opposites.

WriterGK

Yeah but all Lynch/Frost needed to do is open google maps and go "oh somebody lives here, maybe we should pick a public parking lot instead cause our fans are silly and will go investigate".

That's the same with like that stupid Pokemon Go shit. People were playing it in Auswitchz of all places :( :mad:

Dan-o

Yeah, it's not about permission as much as a sense of courtesy. Maybe Lynch/Frost didn't realize that it was private property... but they could have made a bit more effort to figure it out and/or reach out to the land owners first, at least to give a head's up.

g11

The more I think about that "10 day" theory, the most I'm beginning to question it. It would not surprise me at all if there was something going on with multiple timelines or at least the order we are assuming things are happening is is completely different than the order they are happening, but there's enough parts where it seems like that specific theory doesn't line up that I'm not sure it's the answer.

This is like the lady that owns the Breaking Bad house IRL and keeps getting pizza thrown on her roof.

Holy shit, I can imagine that really sucks for her, but that's the funniest things I've heard all day.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So, err, it appears there was a secret code in the LYNCH / FROST production logo. http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/theories/lynch-frost-productions-secret-message/

It fucking has to be intentional, but I'm not sure it means anything. They for a single part with the infamous flashing windows on the plane scene people thought looked weird change the end production logo this single time to do a similar flashing thing that the plane windows do.

I don't know what it means or if it means anything, but it's intentional as hell. Maybe Lynch just decided he liked flashy things when editing the episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom