• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
That shot with Sarah Palmer watching water buffalo get eaten alive by lions is haunting me. Dead look in her eyes, drink in hand. Empty dark house. Feels bad man. Hope she gets some happiness and closure this season.

Reminded of Johnnie Farragut (Harry Dean Stanton) in Wild At Heart watching hyenas rip something apart while he yips at the tv like a madman...and a few scenes later we've got Grace Zabriskie's (Sarah Palmer) character saying its time to hunt "buffalo" before ritualistically killing Farragut. Probably no connection but thought the similarities were interesting.

I liked how she wasn't turned off by the violence. She was enthralled by it. Grace Zabriskie and Ray Wise were some of the better actors and more interesting characters in the original show so I hope they play a larger role.

Consider Sarah Palmer is watching a glass box and seeing vicious animals attack and kill innocent creatures. Earlier, two presumably innocent people are attacked by a vicious creature that comes out of the glass box they are watching. If you notice, this creature has breasts. It may be a mother or has potential to be one. Also consider
in episode 3 a mother is stalking Cooper in the Black Lodge.

There is a lot more to unpack in comparing the scenes actually. I believe this is all intentional.

I can dig it. I shudder to think what the cube mother might birth.

I liked how she wasn't turned off by the violence. She was enthralled by it. Grace Zabriskie and Ray Wise were some of the better actors and more interesting characters in the original show so I hope they play a larger role.

Same. I hope Leland gets out of the lodge in some way. I mean we got Laura saying she's dead yet lives, anything is fair game imo.

Episode 4 is the most Twin Peaks the show has been so far.

Also:
Are we to assume the male body is Major Briggs? Pretty heavyset body and identification is behind military clearance. And who are they gonna get to talk to Mr. C? Annie? Audrey?

Obscura

Also:
Are we to assume the male body is Major Briggs? Pretty heavyset body and identification is behind military clearance. And who are they gonna get to talk to Mr. C? Annie? Audrey?

I had that thought myself regarding Briggs...
According to Bobby he died in a fire, I believe. Someone on GAF said The Secret History of Twin Peaks said something along the lines of Bobby not being sure about that though. If that is Briggs I'll be fucking gutted.

What's this about getting someone to talk to Mr. C? I must have missed some dialogue.

Also:

Seems like a long shot that Brigg's body would still be anything close to intact 25+ years after his death, but it's Lynch, so who knows?

So a small detail I missed a friend pointed out to me, but the woman Mr. Todd in Las Vegas was hiring Tracey to go to the New York to check on the Glass Box. Tracey is the reason that the guard is missing, and the reason she may have gone and the reason they removed the guard was so the guy would invite the girl in and do couple things.

Looked deeper into this and a few others have mentioned it, and I read two further theories onto why Tracey came to the Glass Box room and they removed the guard:

They may have been trying to do the Jack Parson's Moonchild Ritual which is mentioned in The Secret History of Twin Peaks. It's a ritual for creating a "Moonchild" through some sort of sex magic, which is a weird theory but this is legitimately brought up in The Secret History of Twin Peaks. The second theory is that in the original run of the series, it's mentioned that the Black Lodge could only be opened through "love and fear", so maybe them doing the love making thing opened the tear in the box next to them further.

There's some deeper theory stuff, but the first bit about Tracey beign the woman Mr. Todd hired to go to the Glass Box room and remove the security guard to make it so the guy may invite the girl in to do stuff is something I missed.

This is a really interesting idea, because
there was a book written by Aleister Crowley called the Moonchild, in which a group of magicians, one the bad side called The Black Lodge, and the good side called The White Lodge, are fighting one another over the birth of a Moonchild who will steer the fate of the world, or something like that. I've never read it, just know about it, and apparently it's a very difficult book to read and often has passages that seem not to fit with the rest of the book, which is very Lynch like.

My guess is Diane
Oh shit how could I forget!
Seems like a long shot that Brigg's body would still be anything close to intact 25+ years after his death, but it's Lynch, so who knows?

Yeah, I mean, we had Coop's doppelganger make another doppelganger which was unprecedented. So I wouldn't put anything past Lynch. Maybe the body was in stasis in the black lodge.

Also, speaking of which. Sonny Jim...what is he? Dougie's step son or black lodge doppelganger hybrid son?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
This is a really interesting idea, because
there was a book written by Aleister Crowley called the Moonchild, in which a group of magicians, one the bad side called The Black Lodge, and the good side called The White Lodge, are fighting one another over the birth of a Moonchild who will steer the fate of the world, or something like that. I've never read it, just know about it, and apparently it's a very difficult book to read and often has passages that seem not to fit with the rest of the book, which is very Lynch like.

This is really interesting, indeed. Apparently the book is mentioned with this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonchild_(novel)

A year or so before the beginning of World War I, a young woman named Lisa la Giuffria is seduced by a white magician, Cyril Grey, and persuaded into helping him in a magical battle with a black magician and his black lodge. Grey is attempting to save and improve the human race and condition by impregnating the girl with the soul of an ethereal being — the moonchild. To achieve this, she will have to be kept in a secluded environment, and many preparatory magical rituals will be carried out. The black magician Douglas is bent on destroying Grey's plan. However, Grey's ultimate motives may not be what they appear. The moonchild rituals are carried out in southern Italy, but the occult organizations are based in Paris and England. At the end of the book, the war breaks out, and the white magicians support the Allies, while the black magicians support the Central Powers.

Obviously the Black and White Lodges have important to Twin Peaks, and a 'Moonchild Ritual' using sexually charged magic to give birth to a being is mentioned in the Secret of Twin Peaks along with the book.

Now if that thing in the box is related to that, who knows. I still more think it's mother. But I wonder if any such Moonchild may play a role in this season, as other things from the Secret History of Twin Peaks have been playing a role in the season.

Consider Sarah Palmer is watching a glass box and seeing vicious animals attack and kill innocent creatures. Earlier, two presumably innocent people are attacked by a vicious creature that comes out of the glass box they are watching. If you notice, this creature has breasts. It may be a mother or has potential to be one. Also consider
in episode 3 a mother is stalking Cooper in the Black Lodge.

There is a lot more to unpack in comparing the scenes actually. I believe this is all intentional.

This is brilliant!

I didn't draw the parallels (or rather, reflections) between the two scenes. All I got from my viewing was a) what a weird thing to watch on TV and b) surely something scary is going to appear in that mirror.

The cut to the bar and Albert's comment about her being a drinker made me think the woman he was talking about is a Twin Peaks resident.

Speaking of which - did Albert ever actually interact with a woman in Twin Peaks?

It would make sense that after her
good buddy Coop's um.. 'attitude' changed a bit that Diane would have quit the FBI and hit the sauce. More likely considering it's Cole and Albert, discussing this, not the TP Sheriff Dept.

Dizzy-4U

For all thse years I always thought of Diane as just being a nickname for Cooper's diary. You know, being eccentric and all, I kinda thought he made up this woman so he could think out loud and have a conversation with himself.

Will episode 5 air only in 3 weeks? I'm wondering whether I should go ahead and watch 3&4,but I don't want to wait that long for the next episode

Edit: nvm,looks like next week will also have double episode, so it's "only" a 2 week wait.

For all thse years I always thought of Diane as just being a nickname for Cooper's diary. You know, being eccentric and all, I kinda thought he made up this woman so he could think out loud and have a conversation with himself.

Same lol I thought Diane was someone he loved that died and it's his way of coping by talking to the recorder.

GtwoK

Why would he ask his diary to send him things tho

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
It would make sense that after her
good buddy Coop's um.. 'attitude' changed a bit that Diane would have quit the FBI and hit the sauce. More likely considering it's Cole and Albert, discussing this, not the TP Sheriff Dept.

Plus Coop would constantly talk about Twin Peaks so I wouldnt be surprised if she relocated there. Now I want it to be Diane.

Don't feel bad, I actually brought this up earlier in the thread. I thought Diane was the tape recorder, and it was just Cooper's quirky way of taking notes. It never occurred to me at all he was talking to a real person lol

Hang on, wasn't there a scene where Cooper is talking to Diane from a doorway, but like, we never really see her and she never talks? Can't remember if it was from the show or movie, though. I guess it could have been from one of the deleted scenes/missing pieces, can't remember. But yeah, before that scene I always thought she was imaginary.
I'm still hoping that Laura Dern is playing Diane
This would be amazing. Love Laura Dern.

Hang on, wasn't there a scene where Cooper is talking to Diane from a doorway, but like, we never really see her and she never talks? Can't remember if it was from the show or movie, though. I guess it could have been from one of the deleted scenes/missing pieces, can't remember. But yeah, before that scene I always thought she was imaginary.

It was Missing Pieces apparently, which I have never seen.

Dizzy-4U

Oh!, I've never seen that. That might explain it.

AoM

It's one of those scenes where Kyle just wasn't even trying to act lol. Or more, overacting as Cooper.

This would be amazing. Love Laura Dern.
Yeah it was Missing Pieces, which is canon, I think.

I'll be so sad if Diane isn't Dern. It's too perfect.

timshundo

Watching on the showtime app on new apple tv... the image quality of this show is HD but pretty poor. So much compression artifacts that ruin the big sweeping landscape-type shots. Is this just how Showtime is?

Watching on the showtime app on new apple tv... the image quality of this show is HD but pretty poor. So much compression artifacts that ruin the big sweeping landscape-type shots. Is this just how Showtime is?
I noticed Amazons quality fluxuated a ton, but Hulu seemed fine. Might just be the app?

The 'Showtime Anytime' app on Roku was pretty middling as well, especially in darker scenes. Nowhere near Netflix or Amazon, let alone broadcast quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom