• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkin112

Well, it's BOB in Coop's doppelganger. Jeffries, or the guy pretending to be Jeffries, wants the doppelganger to return to the lodge so he can be with BOB again, so clearly BOB is in that body too.
This is what I thought, which is why I was confused coming in here and seeing people say it wasn't BOB

I don't think there's any problem assuming NuCoop is Bob, or has absorbed/fused with Bob. At the end of season 2 when Coop hits the mirror, we clearly see Bob in the reflection in the same way we saw with Leland. They're probably just not even going to address the actual specifics of it since Bob's actor died.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I think it's safe to assume that if the Man From Another Place can turn into a tree, then Bob can turn into a mullet wig.

Blader

Ep. 3/4 spoilers

What was
Gordon's
line about
the North Pole in his exchange in Denise's office with the other agent? I can't remember the exact wording but it cracked me the fuck up.

Blader

So do we think they're going to recast Bob or just not actually show him? The original actor passed away in 1995.

My thought was they'd have Ray Wise basically play Bob's avatar -- and maybe even introduce the concept of Bob/Mike only looking like whoever their last host was (that seems like too much explanation for Lynch though lol) -- but since he already showed up in the lodge as Leland, maybe not.

Levito

Banned
My thought was they'd have Ray Wise basically play Bob's avatar -- and maybe even introduce the concept of Bob/Mike only looking like whoever their last host was (that seems like too much explanation for Lynch though lol) -- but since he already showed up in the lodge as Leland, maybe not.

Yeah I feel Ray Wise being Bob would be confusing cause of this. I mean all they really need is a creepy lookin' dude with long greasy hair wearing denim so it wouldn't be hard to cast. haha

IronRinn

Maybe because some people are holding off on eps 3 and 4 until next week, but I feel like there's been very little discussion of how well Kyle is pulling off
multiple characters so far. You've got real Coop in the Lodge, where a lot has to be communicated with very little; Bob/Doppelganger-Coop; real Coop back on Earth, but in a fugue state; then some shorter turns, like Dougie Jones or Bob robotically pretending to be the real Coop.
And it all works!

Well, except for maybe the wigs. :lol
Yeah, I find myself thinking about that often while watching this. He's really doing excellent work.

Dimmle

I knew it couldn't be a coincidence that
Cooperganger (Doppelcoop?)
grew out his hair and wore a single-tone vest/pants combo. If he's not
Bob
outright he's definitely taking a page from his style book.

I knew it couldn't be a coincidence that
Cooperganger (Doppelcoop?)
grew out his hair and wore a single-tone vest/pants combo. If he's not
Bob
outright he's definitely taking a page from his style book.

Strongly disagree. The doppelganger has neat hair with a hair clip. Leather jacket. Snakeskin shirt with a few buttons undone showing chest. Fake(?) tan. It's a completely different style to Bob's denim jacket, wild hair and pressed shirt with a t shirt underneath.

Dimmle

Strongly disagree. The doppelganger has neat hair with a hair clip. Leather jacket. Snakeskin shirt with a few buttons undone showing chest. Fake(?) tan. It's a completely different style to Bob's denim jacket, wild hair and pressed shirt with a t shirt underneath.

I guess it's either my supposition or the doppelganger developed his own distinct sense of style over 25 years. I know where my head canon falls but I agree that they're distinct outfits. I'd just place the doppelganger a little closer to Bob's side of the fashion spectrum than Coop's.

The issue is that Mike points to the picture of Bob and says "this is his true face."

Whatever the entity that possesses Mike looks like is not clear to us. But that entity made it clear in the original show that Bob looks like Bob.

Not that Lynch and Frost can't just come up with an explanation for why he looks different (hello Arm).

Man I feel like a lot of people are misinterpreting a scene from episode 4.

When Bobby starts crying and the music hits, it's not really intended for the 'feels'. It's intended to show us how much television has changed since those days. You don't get characters break out crying for a long period with melodramatic music set in the background with several cuts away and back to the crying character. That whole Dawson's creek/soap opera style was intentionally jarring when Bobby started crying because of how different the entire show is now.

Granted I was high when I was watching it so maybe my perspective was a stoned perspective and not the actual intention of the writers. Need to watch it sober. But did anyone else feel like how I did?

I suppose that's how you can interpret it but most are discussing story elements and having a scene being used to purely illustrate a meta commentary on television seems to be selling it short.

I think it was totally there for "feels", or at least to make an impact on the viewers. Some might argue it was the first true vintage TP scene in the show so far (except for the actual footage of the original show, of course). The framing of Laura's picture, Bobby balling, the music kicking in when up to this point the score has been mostly absent, all those elements hitting at once I definitely feel like it was meant to hit us hard with an emotion. Whether that emotion is nostalgia or sadness or whatever.

tumblr_oqfgz3Vep51qa5etko4_r1_400.gif

lol

Dimmle

Honestly, next to B
obby's breakdown
, W
ally Brando
struck me as the most "legacy Twin Peaks" scene in the new season so far.

I also read B
obby's breakdown
as commentary on how the show has changed in 25 years (it's slightly comedic) as well as being a nice nod to fans with the full Laura Palmer theme.

Honestly, next to Bobby's breakdown, W
ally Brando
struck me as the most "legacy Twin Peaks" scene in the new season so far.

I also read Bobby's breakdown as commentary on how the show has changed in 25 years (it's slightly comedic) as well as a nice nod to fans with the full Laura Palmer theme.

Michael Cera's Speech
will be studied for years and years.

PolishQ

Kind of a moot point since Leland didn't dress like Bob either. I'm working with the assumption that the Doppelcooper / Bob relationship is the same as what was going on with Leland and Bob. We briefly see (what I take to be) Leland's doppelganger at the end of FWWM just before Leland enters the Lodge. The "good" Leland may have been trapped in the Lodge as a child ... Mrs. Tremond's grandson?

Bob may only be able to directly control doppelgangers, in other words ... that's why Bob wasn't able to simply possess Laura. The ritual in the train car with the mirror (and the whole "Fire walk with me" incantation itself) may have had to do with bringing Laura's doppelganger forth.

And besides, if Bob isn't in Evil Coop, where the hell is he?

Dimmle

Kind of a moot point since Leland didn't dress like Bob either. I'm working with the assumption that the Doppelcooper / Bob relationship is the same as what was going on with Leland and Bob. We briefly see (what I take to be) Leland's doppelganger at the end of FWWM just before Leland enters the Lodge. The "good" Leland may have been trapped in the Lodge as a child ... Mrs. Tremond's grandson?
Whoa, that's an extremely dark thought. I imagine Doppel would only start to dress like Bob if he isn't under the social constraints that Leland was subject to. Doppelcoop is pretty much free to let his hair down, so to speak.

Oh, also, W
ally Brando
is commentary on how much James actually sucks, contrary to the opinion of every character in the show.

Mauddib

Banned
I suppose that's how you can interpret it but most are discussing story elements and having a scene being used to purely illustrate a meta commentary on television seems to be selling it short.

I think it was totally there for "feels", or at least to make an impact on the viewers. Some might argue it was the first true vintage TP scene in the show so far (except for the actual footage of the original show, of course). The framing of Laura's picture, Bobby balling, the music kicking in when up to this point the score has been mostly absent, all those elements hitting at once I definitely feel like it was meant to hit us hard with an emotion. Whether that emotion is nostalgia or sadness or whatever.

The scene was so out of left field. The original two seasons were mostly melodrama and soap opera. So such reactions from a character fit in perfectly with the tone of the show. These 4 episodes haven't delved into any soap opera elements at all. And the level of surrealist humor in the 4th episode alone made the Bobby crying scene all the more insane.

Jokab

About the ring: Annie is wearing it in the final scenes of missing pieces. Who gave it to her? Then the nurse takes it for some reason. How did Bob get ahold of it again to put it on Dougie?

- Dougie wore it and was pulled into the Lodge. I think his wearing the ring was what ensured he would be pulled in instead of Evil Coop.

This is my current theory, too.

About the mythology of the black lodge, personally I find fascinating that one of the character was, in theory, Mike's arm that was cut off. It makes me think on how that dimension doesn't really work like ours (as the reversed speech and weird direction indicates). Time, space, ego and being are totally different. Hell all the black lodge characters could be like aspects of the same entity that we understand as different characters because we have puny brains.
I think it's very Lovecraft, how alien and truly unknowable it is.

Airola

I finally went ahead and watched the first episode last night and can't say I'm impressed and/or terribly interested in continuing but it showed enough promise and atmosphere to keep going, so let's see.

My main issue so far are the visuals. It's not really the show's fault, but I just don't like the HD digital look combined with the Sci-Fi channel style special effects. I think that's where nostalgia is a bit hard to override for me. Lynch 'surreal acting' + ultra-crisp resolution makes me feel like I'm in the room for an awkward audition or play.

Pretty much what I thought as well, and I've been a Twin Peaks and David Lynch fan since 1991 or so, and I even loved Inland Empire.

I thought the first episode was mostly garbage with some good things here and there.
The second episode was better but didn't make my disappointment go away although I was kinda fascinated with how overboard things went during that episode.

However, the third episode was able to lure me in. After that I checked out a bit of the first two episodes and they felt better, even though still looking pretty awful.

After the fourth episode ended I was fully on board again. And for some reason to me it doesn't look that "amateurish" anymore. Some of the first episode scenes looked like they were part of a cheap modern FMV videogame (the part where the guy and Tracey are talking outside the glass box room, for example).

So I think you might change your opinion about it too after seeing all four episodes.

Linkin112

About the ring: Annie is wearing it in the final scenes of missing pieces. Who gave it to her? Then the nurse takes it for some reason. How did Bob get ahold of it again to put it on Dougie?
Are The Missing Pieces canon? If they are, then I have no idea to the answer. I'm wondering if Annie will even be referenced at all in this season.

- Dougie wore it and was pulled into the Lodge. I think his wearing the ring was what ensured he would be pulled in instead of Evil Coop.

I don't think it ensured he would be the one instead of Evil Cooper.
It looked like Evil Cooper was at risk of being pulled in with the curtains appearing in front of him and the crackling of the 12V socket in his car, but by holding out on vomiting longer than Dougie the doppleganger was taken instead.

Surprised at the low ratings right from the start. I guess Twin Peaks interest/hype was just super niche.

TP/Lynch being niche is a given, but the ratings are just based on viewers watching it live, right? Or just on the first night? With things being digital on demand, I figured one day numbers like that were pointless now a days.

Also TP was an international sensation as well so not sure if those ratings would take into account everyone around the world watching on their cable/satellite or VOD services.

HotHamBoy

FIX YOUR HEARTS OR DIE

Lynch was always niche. Most people just didn't watch any of his movies...only Twin Peaks.

Is that really true, though?

Blue Velvet was a pretty big movie and Lynch was nommed for Best Director, same for Mulholland Drive. The Elephant Man was nominated for multiple Academy Awards in 1981.

I'll give you that movies like Eraserhead, Lost Highway and Wild At Heart are more niche.

Wild At Heart is really underrated, btw.

Charamiwa

Banned
HelloooooooOOOOOO

?

I'm still confused by the cliffhanger in episode 4. Will we finally see
Diane
? Or is it
Audrey Horn
?

I don't see why it would be Audrey. Why would she know Cooper better than the FBI? Unless major things happened in 25 years of course. My bet is on Diane.

Is that really true, though?

Blue Velvet was a pretty big movie and Lynch was nommed for Best Director, same for Mulholland Drive. The Elephant Man was nominated for multiple Academy Awards in 1981.

I'll give you that movies like Eraserhead, Lost Highway and Wild At Heart are more niche.

Wild At Heart is really underrated, btw.

Mulholland Drive was niche imo. Then there's Lost Highway, Eraserhead, Inland Empire, Fire walk with me, etc.
Blue Velvet ...I agree. But this movie was way more mainstream.

I don't see why it would be Audrey. Why would she know Cooper better than the FBI? Unless major things happened in 25 years of course. My bet is on Diane.

Yeah it has to be
Diane

What the hell is wrong with Sky Germany?
I thought I could watch every episode in english at the same time you guys will watch it (sundays) but apparently that's not the case. Every single episode will be released on thursdays (4 days after the US release). WHAT THE HELL. I wanna discuss this shit. I want to be part of the community. Sky Germany released the first four episodes (english) on sunday. Why is this not possible for the next episodes? Why doesn't Sky release the english version on sunday and the german version on thursday?
THIS IS BULLSHIT

I'm calling for help now.
Bob, please...

Let's talk about Matthew Lillard here. Am I the only one who thinks that his character is damn interesting? Am I the only one who thinks that this is already his best performance since SCREAM? I really like him in this season so far...his facial expressions are perfect. The interrogation scene was amazing. He was amazing.

I think Lynch would like you had that reaction.

I don't take Lynch for one of those edgelord 'I love when people hate my stuff' toolbags like Lars von Trier so I don't agree.

Pretty much what I thought as well, and I've been a Twin Peaks and David Lynch fan since 1991 or so, and I even loved Inland Empire.

I thought the first episode was mostly garbage with some good things here and there.
The second episode was better but didn't make my disappointment go away although I was kinda fascinated with how overboard things went during that episode.

However, the third episode was able to lure me in. After that I checked out a bit of the first two episodes and they felt better, even though still looking pretty awful.

After the fourth episode ended I was fully on board again. And for some reason to me it doesn't look that "amateurish" anymore. Some of the first episode scenes looked like they were part of a cheap modern FMV videogame (the part where the guy and Tracey are talking outside the glass box room, for example).

So I think you might change your opinion about it too after seeing all four episodes.

Well, bottom line is I have to continue whether I like it or not anyway. My wife even mocks me for disliking Inland Empire and thinks this first episode was just dandy, so yeah, it's coming.

PS: Can't believe they dug up the guy from Hackers somewhere...I love-hate that movie so much.

PolishQ

I don't think it ensured he would be the one instead of Evil Cooper.
It looked like Evil Cooper was at risk of being pulled in with the curtains appearing in front of him and the crackling of the 12V socket in his car, but by holding out on vomiting longer than Dougie the doppleganger was taken instead.

Well, I think it also has something to do with the
eyeless lady flipping the switch in the space basement and Cooper going through "3" instead of "15".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom