• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Finally got caught up to episode 4, it's easy to see why they put 3 & 4 up so quickly, I'm sure they were worried about the reaction to episode 1 & 2 in isolation because there was so little Twin Peaks in there, literally another FWWM situation.

I personally really liked 1 & 2 but I must admit seeing (Ep 4 spoiler)
Bobby break down in tears looking at Laura's picture as the background music kicked in to signify 'hey chumps, here's some nostalgia for ya'
did give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

I'm loving it overall, it's definitely season 3 of a show, it's not something that can be enjoyed out of context but it's everything I wanted in that I had no idea what to expect and I'm completely engrossed by everything that's happening (very rare with TV shows these days), it feels very fresh.

Pointless question/speculation about Ep 4
So...Wally is Dick's kid not Andy's right?

Audioboxer

What the flying fuck was episode 3 all about? Managed to watch it before going to sleep last night. Episode 1 and 2 had their whacky moments but 3 was on another planet.

Snagret

What the flying fuck was episode 3 all about? Managed to watch it before going to sleep last night. Episode 1 and 2 had their whacky moments but 3 was on another planet.
My personal take on it:
A lot of it is really just establishing the black lodge's metaphysical and alien nature. The show still isn't really giving us complete context for a lot of what we're seeing,
so it's hard to really draw some of this stuff forward into a narrative since a lot of it doesn't really anchor to a cohesive narrative yet. It's hard to say which details are significant and which should just be taken at fave value as a David Lynch "tone piece" and not looked at too deeply.

It really just depends on how the show moves forward, whether they continue to focus on more abstract elements or if more straight-forward narratives start emerging. Given the wild swings between each episode it really could go either way.

Joqu

It's a kind of grey area. They're under no obligation to remain consistent with the missing pieces. Are they really going to explain how the ring went from that nurse to Dougie?

I really don't think this is a big deal, but maybe that's because I don't find the nurse interesting anyway. If you don't watch the missing pieces doesn't that question remain, just sans nurse? I don't think they'll explore what the ring has been up to outside of maybe in the next Twin Peaks book.

Bad Coop probably murdered her or something. What's there to remain consistent with?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
When will episode five be streaming? I'm jonesing.

Audioboxer

My personal take on it:
A lot of it is really just establishing the black lodge's metaphysical and alien nature. The show still isn't really giving us complete context for a lot of what we're seeing,
so it's hard to really draw some of this stuff forward into a narrative since a lot of it doesn't really anchor to a cohesive narrative yet. It's hard to say which details are significant and which should just be taken at fave value as a David Lynch "tone piece" and not looked at too deeply.

It really just depends on how the show moves forward, whether they continue to focus on more abstract elements or if more straight-forward narratives start emerging. Given the wild swings between each episode it really could go either way.

True. As much as I love Lynch doing Lynch, I am hoping for some more "standard" narrative as seen throughout season 1/2 of Twin Peaks. Most of the character interactions so far feel a bit disjointed being surrounded by all the craziness.

Snagret

True. As much as I love Lynch doing Lynch, I am hoping for some more "standard" narrative as seen throughout season 1/2 of Twin Peaks. Most of the character interactions so far feel a bit disjointed being surrounded by all the craziness.
It really does feel kind of like an inverted version of the original show. In the first two seasons we were largely following a fairly traditional plot structure and sense of character development that was occasionally broken up by the mystical and abstract elements, whereas now we're getting the latter on full blast and little peeks here and there of the former. It's a completely different rhythm. I won't really know how I feel about it until they show more, but I'm definitely interested in where things are going.

Releasing the first four episodes at once was a good choice. I think my patience for the show would be wearing a little thin if over the course of three weeks the first three episodes were all I had to go on. And (very slight spoilers for 4)
the fourth one seems to be grounding things a little bit in the way I need after the first 3.

Audioboxer

It really does feel kind of like an inverted version of the original show. In the first two seasons we were largely following a fairly traditional plot structure and sense of character development that was occasionally broken up by the mystical and abstract elements, whereas now we're getting the latter on full blast and little peeks here and there of the former. It's a completely different rhythm.

For sure. I'm also forgetting the length this season will be. Plenty of episodes.

I am honestly surprised at all of this enjoyment many of you are getting from this. This is not at all the Twin Peaks I liked. Very different but not in a good way. It be one thing if the surrealistic and random stuff was entertaining or fascinating.

I can agree that the room and the opening episode had a fair share of interesting bits. However the more I see the show the more bored and terrible it becomes to me. To me dialogue is everything. Too much overuse of exposition and same lines being repeated.

I love surrealistic stuff and absurd art but this new Twin Peaks is not leaving me satisfied the slightest.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
storafötter;238015320 said:
I am honestly surprised at all of this enjoyment many of you are getting from this. This is not at all the Twin Peaks I liked. Very different but not in a good way. It be one thing if the surrealistic and random stuff was entertaining or fascinating.

I can agree that the room and the opening episode had a fair share of interesting bits. However the more I see the show the more bored and terrible it becomes to me. To me dialogue is everything. Too much overuse of exposition and same lines being repeated.

I love surrealistic stuff and absurd films and tv shows but this new Twin Peaks is not leaving me satisfied the slightest.

We talked about this especially when it first aired, I think the consensus is David Lynch fans are going to love this, it legitimately feels like a really good David Lynch movie. But Twin Peaks only fans may be disappointed, because the Twin Peaks elements are held back (though they begin to surface more in Part 4 especially).

I'm assuming you haven't watched David Lynch's Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, Wild At Heart, Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire, etc., because your complaints sound like common complaints of people who dislike Lynch's works, and Lynch's works are almost always love it/hate it deal. Like your complaints could be put against almost any one of his movies.

Though I will say this; nothing in this was random and was actually very tied to the original series lore or new elements being introduced. I was actually surprised how straight forward stuff in these first few parts have been (IE, most of the stuff with the Red Room, Mr. C, etc,, are all very tied to things unless it's stuff that are obviously supposed to be mysteries right now, like what came out of the box, where Cooper ends up after falling through space, etc.). BUT, if you don't know the deeper weird workings of Twin Peaks it would certainly appear random I think. IE, this is the series where Creamed Corn is a physical manifestation of pain and suffering from the original series.

Audioboxer

storafötter;238015320 said:

I love surrealistic stuff and absurd art but this new Twin Peaks is not leaving me satisfied the slightest.

Like me you'll need to hope over the course of 18 episodes, I think it is, it has some more "sane" moments :p

It's not just the crazy that is frustrating me, it's the characters feeling like tiny snippets thrown in for "fan service" rather than cohesive plots or inclusions. That seems to be happening as massive chunks of the episodes are going to abstract storytelling. Some scenes feel like they're dragged out for too long just to fill up minutes.

I don't think even Lynch could keep this up for 18 episodes. Hopefully, it's just the weekly nature of releases adding to this versus if it was a Netflix dump everything at once affair. Quietly confident most of us will look back over the whole season and say Lynch pulled off a masterpiece. Right now, we have very few of the pieces.

Dusk Golem

Like me you'll need to hope over the course of 18 episodes, I think it is, it has some more "sane" moments :p

It's not just the crazy that is frustrating me, it's the characters feeling like tiny snippets thrown in for "fan service" rather than cohesive plots or inclusions. That seems to be happening as massive chunks of the episodes are going to abstract storytelling. Some scenes feel like they're dragged out for too long just to fill up minutes.

I don't think even Lynch could keep this up for 18 episodes. Hopefully, it's just the weekly nature of releases adding to this versus if it was a Netflix dump everything at once affair. Quitely confident most of us will look back over the whole season and say Lynch pulled off a masterpiece. Right now, we have very few of the pieces.

I have a suspicion you'll like episode 4 a lot when you get around to watching it. There is one dragged out thing but it's actually legitimately hilarious, and I would say Part 4 begins to focus more on what I think most people associate with Twin Peaks. Won't say much more than that for now though.

I feel like this has been Lynch's preferred style ever since he fell in love with DV. I don't expect it to "improve" a ton. I think he wants it to look raw, for whatever reason.

I have zero problems with how Part 1, Part 2 and most of Part 4 look in that regard. The question is did he want Part 3 and the first third of so of Part 4 to look raw. I'm thinking not, since that encompasses scenes in multiple places all with very different tones to them... but I'm not certain.

Heck no one else seems to have even noticed, making me wonder if it's just the episodes on the Showtime app that are that way (haven't watch Part 3 and Part 4 through other means).

Yeah Lynch edited them. I'm not sure why he would put those scenes in if he didn't consider them canon.

What with the alternate takes and at least one major contradiction, I'm presuming only the bits that get referred to in Season 3 are canon. (Is it future, or is it past? and
the scene in the police department that Part 4 calls back to.

Again, did Philip Jefferies appear in Philadelphia in February 1988 as FWWM confirms, or February 1989 (as originally scripted and as it seems to be in the missing pieces).

I suppose you could just take Jeffries saying 'February 1989?' after looking at Gordon's calendar to be him predicting when Laura's murder will occur, but it's clear to me that he's confused that that's the actual date.

Interesting observation I saw on AVClub, that Dougie vanishing/Coop returning visually echoes the stain in the Palmer house in season 1.

pturo06.jpg

carpet-vision.jpg

In the international versions of that season 1 scene Bob comes out of the stain too

Dusk Golem

Can someone tell me who the hell is Doug and why does he look just like Cooper?

Dougie Is a manufactured being by Mr. C to go in his stead to the Black Lodge, basically it's part of Mr. C's plan to get out of going back. It's also why there was assassins outside to kill him, because Mr. C knows that Cooper and him both can't exist in the real world and one of them has to die. Dougie was apparently a real enough person, has a wife and kid, people who know him, etc., and it's not clear how Mr. C 'manufactured' him yet, but it is without a doubt a being Mr. C created to take the fall into the Lodge for him. It also seems making him wear the Owl Ring was part of the plan, and trying to resist vomiting up or giving in before Dougie did.

And yeah, add a spoiler to that until Episode 3 & 4 air on TV.

I'm loving the editing and direction. It's the compete opposite of modern cinema trends of fast cuts and dull storytelling techniques. It harkens back to a time when stories could be told visually and exposition dumps weren't expected every ten minutes. It's almost like Lynch's reaction to those modern trends.

Blader

I know it was introduced back in the S2 finale, but I'm curious about why the Arm/MFAP even has a doppelganger. Aren't doppelgangers supposed to be your evil, shadow self? And isn't the Arm already the evil part of Mike? So his doppelganger is even MORE evil?

Chitown B

The last time we saw Bob he was in Cooper

Whoever was on the phone with Dopple Coop says that once Dopple Coop is back to the lodge, he'll be with Bob again

It makes no sense to assume Bob is not in Cooper.

Except Bob was a separate entity in the lodge. And DoppleCoop seems very cold and calculated while Bob was just wacky and crazy.

Dusk Golem

I know it was introduced back in the S2 finale, but I'm curious about why the Arm/MFAP even has a doppelganger. Aren't doppelgangers supposed to be your evil, shadow self? And isn't the Arm already the evil part of Mike? So his doppelganger is even MORE evil?

We only know that Cooper's doppelganger is the bad part of Coop, but Coop himself is pretty much a good person. It could very well be that the Arm's doppelganger is the good part of the arm. It immediately seems more evil (or at least more deranged and frightening), but it shows Cooper his doppelganger, says something about non-exist-ent, and then flings him through space, so really right now the Arm's doppelganger's motive and reason is up in the air. It's not clear who's side it's on or what it wants though. At the very lest, it seems to have a different agenda and know something the rest of the lodge entities we've seen don't seem to know.

Chitown B

I'm not sure what you mean. The arm just evolved into something else (by necessity, because of MJA). When Coop is getting ejected it's just sounding an alarm and freaking out. It's not a different arm.

Dusk Golem

I'm not sure what you mean. The arm just evolved into something else (by necessity, because of MJA). When Coop is getting ejected it's just sounding an alarm and freaking out. It's not a different arm.

It's actually a different arm, right before the other arm appears we see the regular Arm, and after Mike says something wrong the arm says, "My doppelganger." and then Cooper meets the other Arm who is of a different color scheme and has a different (more hellish) voice.

Chitown B

Pilot, finale and FWWM should do it. Maybe S2E7 as well just because it's so incredible.

Season 1 episode 2. Cooper's Dream.

It's actually a different arm, right before the other arm appears we see the regular Arm, and after Mike says something wrong the arm says, "My doppelganger." and then Cooper meets the other Arm who is of a different color scheme and has a different (more hellish) voice.

Hmmm ok I'll have to watch again.

Dusk Golem

Also, Shelly confirms in episode 2 that she has a daughter named Becky who is dating someone named Steven, but Shelly thinks Steven's not right for Becky. I somehow had missed that the first time I watched this, think I was too distracted by the pretty music and James.

We talked about this especially when it first aired, I think the consensus is David Lynch fans are going to love this, it legitimately feels like a really good David Lynch movie. But Twin Peaks only fans may be disappointed, because the Twin Peaks elements are held back (though they begin to surface more in Part 4 especially).

I'm assuming you haven't watched David Lynch's Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, Wild At Heart, Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire, etc., because your complaints sound like common complaints of people who dislike Lynch's works, and Lynch's works are almost always love it/hate it deal. Like your complaints could be put against almost any one of his movies.

Though I will say this; nothing in this was random and was actually very tied to the original series lore or new elements being introduced. I was actually surprised how straight forward stuff in these first few parts have been (IE, most of the stuff with the Red Room, Mr. C, etc,, are all very tied to things unless it's stuff that are obviously supposed to be mysteries right now, like what came out of the box, where Cooper ends up after falling through space, etc.). BUT, if you don't know the deeper weird workings of Twin Peaks it would certainly appear random I think. IE, this is the series where Creamed Corn is a physical manifestation of pain and suffering from the original series.

Yeah I will admit I have not seen any of his films. I was planning to to see Mulholland Drive long time ago but never got to see it. I guess it is as simple as you said it is more similar to his film works. Plus the heavy symbolism becomes meaningless when I am not invested or aware of it.

I appreciate your thoughtful arguments against my rant.

I don't think even Lynch could keep this up for 18 episodes. Hopefully, it's just the weekly nature of releases adding to this versus if it was a Netflix dump everything at once affair. Quietly confident most of us will look back over the whole season and say Lynch pulled off a masterpiece. Right now, we have very few of the pieces.

I agree. I hope it gets better and connects all together masterfully (all the saving grace I can think of right now). However I feel like there is a lot of challenges that exist when you enter an old franchise that never gained closure. Things change and it is hard to make something new that either relies too much on the past or completely ignores it.

robotrock

Banned
Also, Shelly confirms in episode 2 that she has a daughter named Becky who is dating someone named Steven, but Shelly thinks Steven's not right for Becky. I somehow had missed that the first time I watched this, think I was too distracted by the pretty music and James.

Wait, was Shelly in episode 2??

is she at the road house or something

Except Bob was a separate entity in the lodge. And DoppleCoop seems very cold and calculated while Bob was just wacky and crazy.

Dopplecoop was pretty wacky and crazy before he left the lodge and we've seen Bob be cold and calculated through Leland.

With Lynch's comments about it and from some scenes and dialogue I think the doppelgangers are vessels that carry Bob with them.

Dusk Golem

Wait, was Shelly in episode 2??

is she at the road house or something

Shelly's the one who says, "James was always cool." But before that she's talking about how her daughter, Becky, is seeing someone named Steven and she doesn't think he's right to her and tells her friends they don't know the look on Becky's face when she's with him.

I've got no idea. After seeing you lay it out like that it makes zero sense for why the arm would have a doppelganger.

The only reasoning I can come up with is 'just because'.

Shelly's the one who says, "James was always cool." But before that she's talking about how her daughter, Becky, is seeing someone named Steven and she doesn't think he's right to her and tells her friends they don't know the look on Becky's face when she's with him.

Maybe its her daughter who gets murdered. "Its happening again" etc.

Dusk Golem

I've got no idea. After seeing you lay it out like that it makes zero sense for why the arm would have a doppelganger.

The only reasoning I can come up with is 'just because'.

I take it that the Black Lodge is a place where doppelgangers reside, in Twin Peaks there's two dual worlds that have effects on one another and who seem to diverge especially strongly around the town of Twin Peaks. The arm was cut out of existence as it was forming a mind of its own, and it seems like both the Arm and the Arm's doppelganger are both in the Lodge at this point of time.

But I take it that there's two versions of every character, but only one can exist in the 'real world' at a time, but it seems both entities can stop existing in the real world and live in the Black Lodge. It seems this applies to supernatural entities too as the Arm has a doppelganger though.

The doppelgangers aren't specifically all evil, that's never said in the series, we just know Coop's doppelganger is evil. Laura and Leland's doppelganger's don't seem particularly evil though.

PizzaFace

Banned
I take it that the Black Lodge is a place where doppelgangers reside, in Twin Peaks there's two dual worlds that have effects on one another and who seem to diverge especially strongly around the town of Twin Peaks. The arm was cut out of existence as it was forming a mind of its own, and it seems like both the Arm and the Arm's doppelganger are both in the Lodge at this point of time.

But I take it that there's two versions of every character, but only one can exist in the 'real world' at a time, but it seems both entities can stop existing in the real world and live in the Black Lodge. It seems this applies to supernatural entities too as the Arm has a doppelganger though.

The doppelgangers aren't specifically all evil, that's never said in the series, we just know Coop's doppelganger is evil. Laura and Leland's doppelganger's done seem particularly evil though.

You could argue Leland's isn't evil at all "I didn't murder anyone". Leland was the bad one, his doppelganger could have been his "good" part.

hamchan

Very well done to have Shelly's first scene being worried about her daughter dating the wrong guy.

Also how I hope her daughter's name is Becky Briggs.

Dan-o

just typing as I think a bit here, regarding Part 3's beginning. First a brief summary, based on my memory. Long post...
Dale falls through space (Faster and faster...) and lands on a type of balcony. Looking over the balcony, he sees a surreal-looking lake.
He enters the door of the structure he's on, and we then have the glitchy scene with the lady with no eyes. There's banging coming from... somewhere. The socket on the wall has the number 15 on it. As he approaches the socket, she seems to get upset at him, and leads him towards the ladder. She goes up, and he follows.
Outside, Cooper is in space on a little structure, with electricity crackling all around. The small structure beside him kind of looks like the housing of a 12V / Cigarette lighter in a car would look like if you pulled the socket housing out. The structure has two gauges on it, and a lever. The woman with no eyes proceeds to move the lever from up to down. The electric crackling stops, but since she is touching the structure, she is electrocuted and flies out into space. Cooper returns to the ladder and descends into the room.
In the room, the glitching has stopped (yay!) but also the socket now has a 3 on it instead of 15. There's a woman sitting in front of the fireplace. She looks at her watch, and we see the time switch from 2:52:59 to 2:53:00.
A lamp beside the large socket turns on. As Cooper approaches the socket, she tells him... hurry, her mother is coming, when you get there, you'll already be there...
Cooper enters the socket.
So... what does this even mean? I'm thinking along the lines of:
The place has two exits; a 12V socket and a wall outlet. I think the lady with no eyes was trying to show Cooper how to escape through the process of escaping herself. Maybe, when she got there, someone showed her the same thing to do, and she was waiting for Cooper until it was her turn? I don't know. As I recall, neither her or Cooper were able to speak in that sequence. Anyway, I think the woman in front of the fireplace might be the one that actually tricked Cooper. Maybe she changed the outlet from 15 to 3 (I can't figure out why these numbers matter here yet, other than 315 being his room key at the Great Northern) while he was outside and hurried him.

Now, back in Mr. C's world, he's driving along. At 2:52, he starts to feel ill, driving badly. We see his 12V socket crackling with electricity. He eventually loses control and crashes the car, rolling over, lots of thuds. The 12V socket isn't crackling anymore until he sees the clock physically click to 2:53. Cue: Garmonbozia!

So... the question is... how do the events surrounding Cooper's strange structure correlate to the events in Mr. C's "real world" ? We see the time of 2:52 and 2:53 in both worlds (just not in Dougie's situation, but I think it's fair to say it wasn't necessary to show there). I definitely need to re-watch it in order to take notes on how things happen in order in both Cooper's strange structure and in Mr. C's car.

One thing I'm thinking is that the outside exit (flying into space again) is actually the only correct way out, while the large wall socket thing is a decoy (just like Dougie is a decoy). Maybe Dougie wearing the ring is what steered Cooper towards choosing that exit.

It's hard to write down this stuff, but that's kind of my thought process for what happened there. I'm certain it's not all correct, but the time obviously plays a key factor in how the scenes play out. Curious to see what others have picked up on as well.

just typing as I think a bit here, regarding Part 3's beginning. First a brief summary, based on my memory. Long post...
Dale falls through space (Faster and faster...) and lands on a type of balcony. Looking over the balcony, he sees a surreal-looking lake.
He enters the door of the structure he's on, and we then have the glitchy scene with the lady with no eyes. There's banging coming from... somewhere. The socket on the wall has the number 15 on it. As he approaches the socket, she seems to get upset at him, and leads him towards the ladder. She goes up, and he follows.
Outside, Cooper is in space on a little structure, with electricity crackling all around. The small structure beside him kind of looks like the housing of a 12V / Cigarette lighter in a car would look like if you pulled the socket housing out. The structure has two gauges on it, and a lever. The woman with no eyes proceeds to move the lever from up to down. The electric crackling stops, but since she is touching the structure, she is electrocuted and flies out into space. Cooper returns to the ladder and descends into the room.
In the room, the glitching has stopped (yay!) but also the socket now has a 3 on it instead of 15. There's a woman sitting in front of the fireplace. She looks at her watch, and we see the time switch from 2:52:59 to 2:53:00.
A lamp beside the large socket turns on. As Cooper approaches the socket, she tells him... hurry, her mother is coming, when you get there, you'll already be there...
Cooper enters the socket.
So... what does this even mean? I'm thinking along the lines of:
The place has two exits; a 12V socket and a wall outlet. I think the lady with no eyes was trying to show Cooper how to escape through the process of escaping herself. Maybe, when she got there, someone showed her the same thing to do, and she was waiting for Cooper until it was her turn? I don't know. As I recall, neither her or Cooper were able to speak in that sequence. Anyway, I think the woman in front of the fireplace might be the one that actually tricked Cooper. Maybe she changed the outlet from 15 to 3 (I can't figure out why these numbers matter here yet, other than 315 being his room key at the Great Northern) while he was outside and hurried him.

Now, back in Mr. C's world, he's driving along. At 2:52, he starts to feel ill, driving badly. We see his 12V socket crackling with electricity. He eventually loses control and crashes the car, rolling over, lots of thuds. The 12V socket isn't crackling anymore until he sees the clock physically click to 2:53. Cue: Garmonbozia!

So... the question is... how do the events surrounding Cooper's strange structure correlate to the events in Mr. C's "real world" ? We see the time of 2:52 and 2:53 in both worlds (just not in Dougie's situation, but I think it's fair to say it wasn't necessary to show there). I definitely need to re-watch it in order to take notes on how things happen in order in both Cooper's strange structure and in Mr. C's car.

One thing I'm thinking is that the outside exit (flying into space again) is actually the only correct way out, while the large wall socket thing is a decoy (just like Dougie is a decoy). Maybe Dougie wearing the ring is what steered Cooper towards choosing that exit.

It's hard to write down this stuff, but that's kind of my thought process for what happened there. I'm certain it's not all correct, but the time obviously plays a key factor in how the scenes play out. Curious to see what others have picked up on as well.

I took the woman getting electrocuted as almost like a sacrifice for Cooper that in turn changes the room. I think there is more significance to the 3 and 15, but it largely tells us this now just a different room with a different woman and "mother" no longer knocking. Almost as if the Doppelganger is possibly trying to help DoppelCoop and sent him to a trap, but then the girl saved him and then DoppelCoop still had another plan in place.

Kayhan

Episode 4:
When Bobby cried staring at Laura's picture
I got choked up.

I feel so bad for Laura Palmer. Especially after you see her life in Fire Walk With Me. Lynch's most underrated movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom