• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

Solo

The black-and-white aesthetic of the White Lodge doesn't really match up to how it was described by Windom Earle in s2 (or very briefly seen with Briggs), but since Lynch wasn't involved with the show at that point it'd probably just a case of liberties being taken that Lynch didn't agree with and just ignored.

I don't think that is the White Lodge (where we see the Fireman and Dido). Fireman makes reference to Black Lodge entities overrunning the White Lodge, so it would appear that the benevolent White Lodgers all fled to the Fireman's house.

The Mauve Zone is a pretty strange concept. Kenneth Grant's books can be pricey and difficult to understand without a fair bit of prior knowledge on various subjects. Honestly, Frost has most likely read Grant and used some of these concepts for ideas in the story. I probably wouldn't suggest going out and buying Grant's books looking to understand more about Twin Peaks. There is just too much other shit you need to be familiar with to really get a lot out of his books.

Ahh I see.
I thought the B&W photographed place the Giant/Fireman spoke to Cooper and Andy was his home/realm as established in episode 8 where he sent the Laura orb into the world. Didn’t think they were separate places, nor the alternate lodge, so put the other lodge down to being the convenience store.

Just finished this yesterday, mulling over quite a bit...

What indicates that the Fireman is in two seperate places...?

Blader

I like the idea of the convenience store/motel (or at least just the motel part) being a sort of waystation between worlds, one that ends up changing its occupants (e.g. Jeffries -> tea kettle, Diane -> Naido). It also ties in nicely to the motel where Coop and Diane stay at on their way to Carrie Page's world and end up leaving as (slightly?) different people.

Slaythe

I've cracked down the code.

1279866_1.jpg

17 18

4165054-tumblr_lvn753uoaf1qcfgllo1_500.gif

Overlay theory confirmed.

Blader

Much as I don't subscribe to the literal "everything is a dream" interpretation, there was something really powerful about this two-shot where Lynch looks back at 'the dreamer' and sees his younger self, juxtaposed with his older self. For all the stuff about aging and the passage of time there was in this season, this struck me as the most powerful somehow.

From a couple pages back:

ozE1bg9.gif

Needs even more layers.

Much as I don't subscribe to the literal "everything is a dream" interpretation, there was something really powerful about this two-shot where Lynch looks back at 'the dreamer' and sees his younger self, juxtaposed with his older self. For all the stuff about aging and the passage of time there was in this season, this struck me as the most powerful somehow.

That's a great scene and one of Lynch greatest trademarks, when he brings a bit of normality to the surrealism that surrounds the context. That one resonated a lot emotionally cause the juxtapose is simply magnificent.

Courage

His delivery in that scene is so great.

'I SAW MYSELF. I SAW MYSELF FROM LONG AGO.'

g11

The White Lodge still looks like that in episode 8 though.

In s2, Windom Earle describes the White Lodge as this:

But Earle had never been and is crazy anyway, and Lynch clearly does not give much of a shit about Windom Earle in the first place, heh.

I always took Earle's description of the White Lodge as his mockingly 'poetic' interpretation of a place of pure and overwhelming good.

This might just be me, but Twin Peaks finishing has put me in a huge mood to replay the Silent Hill games. Silent Hill is like Twin Peaks, but I cabn't really explain it but I do feel that something about Silent Hill 1-4 especially get the closest to capturing something Lynchian in a video game. It's not a precise thing, I doubt Lynch would ever make something like Silent Hill, and Silent Hill does have a lot of direct Lynch influence, but there's something that Twin Peaks captures for me that Silent Hill also captures that's very rare to see in works, despite being in the end quite different.

I never actually played the Silent Hill games so I might have to try that myself relatively soon. What's the best way to play the originals anymore? I remember the Silent Hill Collection on PS3/360 was apparently terrible.

As for me, I have been filling the Twin Peaks-sized hole in my soul with the Giant Bomb Vinny & Jeff Endurance Run of Deadly Premonition. I'd play it myself but I just did that for the third time earlier this year.

--------------------

I've been thinking a lot about Episode 8 recently as a lot of my biggest questions for The Return stem from it and I was reminded of a question I had from way back when Episode 8 originally aired about why exactly The Mother barfed up a bunch of those frog-moth eggs and then one BOB orb and I've come up with a theory. What if the eggs are the children of The Mother and BOB is meant to inseminate them all? I'm not sure to what end exactly but it's the only thing that makes sense to me.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Laura Dern Breaks Her Silence on ‘Twin Peaks’ Finale, Would Love to Keep Playing Diane

On Diane seeing herself at the motel:
However, Dern can make sense of another puzzling moment from the finale: The scene in which Diane sees another version of herself setting outside a motel. The actress believes Lynch was trying to show that Diane was somewhat aware of the new timeline she was in, a place where she could recognize this new Cooper, or Richard, was now a version with elements of both the Cooper she fell in love with and his villainous doppelgänger.

“I loved the idea, or it felt to me, that what had evolved in [Diane] was the awareness that there were other sides of [Cooper] and not knowing what would be on the other side of following him,” Dern said. “In letting herself love him, in following him on this journey, and that she didn’t know which side of him she’d get, I think is very true of any love story. I thought there was something meta and very beautiful that he would leave me alone in the car not knowing who I was going to get in this man, but yet then seeing a whole other side of myself looking back. To me, as a love story, there’s something really profound about ‘Well, we are many sides.’ I felt really moved by all of that.”

What is GAF's take on all the bad CG? I thought it detracted from the experience myself but also suspect it was the price to pay for episode 8 which looked utterly stunning.

What is GAF's take on the all the bad CG? I thought it detracted from the experience myself but also suspect it was the price to pay for episode 8 which looked utterly stunning.

It's Lynch's aesthetic. He seems to really embrace artifice, especially when it comes to supernatural or otherworldly situations.

I think the reason the atomic explosion looked good is because it is a real thing. The Tulpa's heads popping off isn't, so Lynch does the weird, crude thing with it.

Of course that will turn people off, but I don't think Lynch cares. He likes what he likes. I like it too.

oon

Banned
What is GAF's take on the all the bad CG? I thought it detracted from the experience myself but also suspect it was the price to pay for episode 8 which looked utterly stunning.

That's just his style - you can see him use the same techniques (and theme!) in this short from years ago : https://youtu.be/2uDsVi2EU_E

I don't think it's supposed to look real because what we're witnessing isn't real - it's an artistic approximation of these ideas he's trying to convey.

Solo

Man, I really hope the guy who found The Return bad after 5 episodes comes back with his feelings on Episode 8.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I never actually played the Silent Hill games so I might have to try that myself relatively soon. What's the best way to play the originals anymore? I remember the Silent Hill Collection on PS3/360 was apparently terrible.

As for me, I have been filling the Twin Peaks-sized hole in my soul with the Giant Bomb Vinny & Jeff Endurance Run of Deadly Premonition. I'd play it myself but I just did that for the third time earlier this year.

Unfortunately there's no 'amazing' way to play them, but Silent Hill 1 can be had on PSN on the PS3/PSP, or otherwise can get a PS1 copy and emulate it. Silent Hill 2, 3, & 4 have a few more options, as all three did release on PS2, Xbox (original), and PC. Silent Hill 2's best version is the Director's Cut version for the PS2 (Director's Cut adds a few new endings and a new bonus scenario campaign where you play as a different character), but the PC port is also quite good (though rarer by far). The best version of Silent Hill 3 is the PC version, there's a topic here on GAF also how to get the most out of the SH2-4 PC stuff if you go that route, but the PS2 version is very good as well. Silent Hill 4's best version is the PS2 version.

For the later entries, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (one I would recommend as I think this one has some pretty strong Lynch vibes at some parts) is available for the Wii, PS2, and PSP. The Wii version is the best one, both graphically and it might actually have some of the best wii controls in the world (a main mechanic of the game is using a flashlight, but even ignoring that they do things surprisingly naturally, but the graphical fidelity of the Wii version is actually a whole league ahead of the PS2 version). Silent Hill Downpour is better on the 360 than the PS3 (though it recently released on the Xbox One as a digital thing, I haven't tried that version but probably the best). Silent Hill Origins is on the PS2 and PSP, both are good just different. Silent Hill Homecoming is on the 360. PS3, and PC, but the PC version is kind of a mess (it has some issues, depending on your computer specs), so generally the 360 version is accepted as the best.

Hope that helped!

Cohsae

It's Lynch's aesthetic. He seems to really embrace artifice, especially when it comes to supernatural or otherworldly situations.

I think the reason the atomic explosion looked good is because it is a real thing. The Tulpa's heads popping off isn't, so Lynch does the weird, crude thing with it.

Of course that will turn people off, but I don't think Lynch cares. He likes what he likes. I like it too.

The thing that throws me off is the vortex in the sky that pops up a few times, which is rendered like modern non-Lynchian CG and I don't know what (if any) is the significance of that.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
so is Mulholland Drive much of a horror film? i can take it in small doses like in TP but horror movies just aren't my thing.

Mr. Doop

so is Mulholland Drive much of a horror film? i can take it in small doses like in TP but horror movies just aren't my thing.

Kind of? There's one really famous jump scare at the beginning of the movie, but nothing really after that. It does kind of have an overall spooky feel to it, though.

Dusk Golem

It's very unsettling but I wouldn't call it a horror film. Inland Enpire is a horror film.

Lynch doesn't consider most of his films horror movies, though personally speaking I think almost every Lynch movie has at least one 'scary scene', and Lynch has way too good of a sense of how to execute horror well. I think Lynch has produced some of the scariest stuff on film.

Mulholland Drive is not a horror movie, but there's at least two scenes in the movie that are incredibly frightening if you asked me, and several more that are unnerving.

For the record, the only film Lynch himself has labelled as a horror movie is Inland Empire (though he doesn't label it as a straight horror film, just it's the one film of his he acknowledges as a horror movie).

This all said, you should watch Mulholland Drive. Lynch films by nature are very subjective to which ones people think are the best/worst, but many are in agreement that Mulholland Drive is one of his best movies.

hughesta

Banned
Dusk I'm curious which two scenes you consider pure horror. The
winkiesscene and the ending with the elder hallucinations?

Dusk Golem

Dusk I'm curious which two scenes you consider pure horror. The
winkiesscene and the ending with the elder hallucinations?

Mulholland Drive Spoilers:
I think the one most will think of is the Winkies scene since that's the most advert one, but most of the 'horror' in Mulholland Drive is very quiet. The ending goes chaotic again, and really the elderly couple I think can either come off as scary or funny dependently, but they did take on the air of scariness for me. A big part of this isn't the scene isolated though, good horror usually has build-up and the couple with their permanent smiles and kind of stilted dialogue had me uneasy of them since earlier in the movie. Something Mulholland Drive does well is build tension, then pay-off, usually not in 'chaotic' or loud ways, but quiet ways. Even while watching you may not be able to follow the plot the first time of what exactly is going on, but the movie I think is so well received because it is one of Lynch's best examples of how to be emotionally engaging and stringing along highs and lows, to express emotion even if the audience doesn't fully understand what's happening at the time. It manages to strike chords very effectively.

However, the individual scene with the elderly couple wasn't it for me. It was actually the corpse scene mentioned above. The elderly couple was more a elongated thing for me, kind of the edge of silly yet unnerving for me personally.

Top Bottom