• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 Premieres May 21 - 2 Hour Premiere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought...

What if our Coop *did* get out of the lodge.

But didn't find his way back to our reality.

What if in another place, a different Coop had been possessed by Bob at a young age. What if what we see at the end of the last episode... is that Coop in the world that we had been watching, while *our* Coop came out of the lodge into the world that dark evil possessed version of himself was from?

Man... I can't wait to find out whatever it is.

.JayZii

Banned
Something from season 2 that is related to the doppelgangers theme that i would like to see carried forward are the obviously fake disguises that everyone just goes along with. I find that really uncanny and creepy.

It's not. Many many people who played characters late on in season 2 say that David was never on set, and that they had almost zero involvement with him when working on the series.

No, no- I'm not disputing he wasn't involved int he second half of Season 2. That's obvious and what I was referring to with the cast interviews. I'm disputing the "I was busy with Wild at Heart". WaH's release corresponded with the scripting and filming of the first part of Season 2 yet that's when Lynch's involvement with the show was at it's greatest level. Lynch bailed once the second half of Season 2 started filming (early October I believe) so WaH just isn't a valid excuse at that point.

He definitely bailed but it wasn't because he was busy with his Palm D'Or winner. Thgat's the part that's BS.

Joqu

I do gotta say I'm enjoying Windom Earle a whole lot more than I did last time on my rewatch. I mean, he's doing some cheesy shit, but the actor's great and seems to be having fun with it. And it's nice to have a new somewhat menacing presence after season 2 wrapped up the Laura stuff. The whole backstory also fleshes out Coop somewhat which is appreciated.

I hate the chess theme though, god.

.JayZii

Banned
I do gotta say I'm enjoying Windom Earle a whole lot more than I did last time on my rewatch. I mean, he's doing some cheesy shit, but the actor's great and seems to be having fun with it. And it's nice to have a new somewhat menacing presence after season 2 wrapped up the Laura stuff. The whole backstory also fleshes out Coop somewhat which is appreciated.

They basically put a Batman villain into Twin Peaks.

No, no- I'm not disputing he wasn't involved int he second half of Season 2. That's obvious and what I was referring to with the cast interviews. I'm disputing the "I was busy with Wild at Heart". WaH's release corresponded with the scripting and filming of the first part of Season 2 yet that's when Lynch's involvement with the show was at it's greatest level. Lynch bailed once the second half of Season 2 started filming (early October I believe) so WaH just isn't a valid excuse at that point.

He definitely bailed but it wasn't because he was busy with his Palm D'Or winner. Thgat's the part that's BS.

Understood. What was the global roll out of the movie like? Did he do press overseas for it? Just spit balling here.

Something from season 2 that is related to the doppelgangers theme that i would like to see carried forward are the obviously fake disguises that everyone just goes along with. I find that really uncanny and creepy.

I remember the first appearance of the character Catherine Martell is pretending to be scared the fuck out of me.

I love Windom. His increased time on screen is when the show starts finding it's feet again. Even if
Lynch quite clearly hated the character given how Windom is discarded like trash
in episode 29 which is the point at which the show finally regained it's form one last time.

Joqu

So when's Sumio putting the OT up?

I've been working on it with him, the plan is to have it up on Friday. Don't worry!

They basically put a Batman villain into Twin Peaks.

Oh yeah. And it feels weird. But there's just this moments where he really works for me, y'know. The potential was there. Like I really like him in the flashback tape for example.

Understood. What was the global roll out of the movie like? Did he do press overseas for it? Just spit balling here.

Europe release was in the fall and I'm sure there was some press but the world box office market wasn't what it is now. I can't imagine Lynch was doing more press in Europe than he would have been doing leading up the US release in August, which as I recall, was probably pitched as the most main stream release of Lynch's career (crazy for a movie that barely missed an X rating). I still remember going to see Die Hard 2 for the 3rd time while my dad went to see Wild at heart.

I love Windom. His increased time on screen is when the show starts finding it's feet again. Even if
Lynch quite clearly hated the character given how Windom is discarded like trash
in episode 29 which is the point at which the show finally regained it's form one last time.

Evidently there was a scripted showdown between the two in Miss Twin Peaks but it was either cut or never filmed. Tim Hunter (director of Miss Twin Peaks) assumed that it was superfluous because there was a showdown between them in the finale before Lynch changed the script.

.JayZii

Banned
Oh yeah. And it feels weird. But there's just this moments where he really works for me, y'know. The potential was there. Like I really like him in the flashback tape for example.
There are some really great moments with him, it just felt like there were four or five different visions for the character all being put forth by the production team at the same time.

There are some really great moments with him, it just felt like there were four or five different visions for the character all being put forth by the production team at the same time.

I think Frost conceptualized him as Moriarty to Cooper's Holmes but then Frost wasn't really involved with the show when it came time to write him.

The Holmes connection doesn't surprised me since Mark Frost went on write The List of 7 (which was a favorite book of mine that I have been scared to revisit) where Conan Doyle was a major character.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
windom was awful. lynch or whoever was responsible for discarding him did the world a favour. if only they had done it sooner.

Joqu

Yeah, exactly. He's incredibly inconsistent, to the point of some bad comic relief at times. But I do adore him when in those great moments, it's enough for me to be fond of the character.

BOB doesn't get treated to well either though...
His Josie appearance is is just such a bad take on the character, ugh.

Yeah. After the James bits getting to some Windom action feels like a breath of fresh air, I really do feel like this stuff could have been great with a stronger focus.

I remember him being fun at in 29 though!
Yeah sure, Lynch is clearly eager to get rid of him, but his scene in the woods with Annie is good and well, he gets a good death.

I remember the first appearance of the character Catherine Martell is pretending to be scared the fuck out of me.

I love this anecdote from Piper Laurie on that:

The regular cast on the set bought the act at first. They were a little intimidated initially by the strange foreigner and were told to be very respectful to me. Jack Nance, the innocent, who played my husband on the show, went to David and Mark at the end of the first day and said, “Boy … is that new actor weird!”

Flipyap

edit: This was said by Madchen on Last Call with Carson Daly last night:

Interesting. Also what does everyone think of neither Frost nor Lynch going back for a refresher of the old seasons when approaching the writing of the new one? Frost said season 2 finale events were a springboard for continuity but little else. Would explain continuity issues in the book. With that Madchen quote wondering if we're dealing with a different timeline entirely.
While I'm more than okay with the entire show taking place in a dream or wherever, I'd be really disappointed if that's the explanation for the Secret History's "retcons." I didn't read (well, listen to) that to catch up on a brand new continuity. The Secret History Of A Secretly Different Twin Peaks doesn't have the same appeal.

If they hadn't had to abandon their main storyline, and hadn't been forced to drop what was meant to be the major plot to follow it, there's no way the show would have followed James out of Twin Peaks and spent so much time on that shit. It never followed Josie to Seattle, or Jerry overseas. The only other place we had ever gone was up the river to One Eyed Jacks.
Until the film jumped straight to Philadelphia and Deer Meadow and back to Canada. I'm not convinced that that the creators cared that much about containing Twin Peaks to that one town. Frost also escapes its confines for a huge chunk of his book about its supposed history.
I can easily imagine Lynch taking James on a better Awkwardness World Tour 1989, it's one of very few plot lines from that part of Season 2 which could have been salvaged into something that thematically and stylistically fits the show.

I remember him being fun at in 29 though!
Yeah sure, Lynch is clearly eager to get rid of him, but his scene in the woods with Annie is good and well, he gets a good death.

Everybody is good when Lynch is directing them. Man just has a special talent from getting amazing performances from his actors. Even James Marshall was usually OK when Lynch was behind the camera.

Episode 29 is just amazing from the standpoint how everybody just shows up after sleepwalking through so much of the season.

In an ideal world I think they should have had Lynch direct every 4 to 5 episodes while Mark Frost stayed in the writer's room as active showrunner. I think that would have kept the cast and crew engaged. But the audience would have still bailed anyway.

I can easily imagine Lynch taking James on a better Awkwardness World Tour 1989, it's one of very few plot lines from that part of Season 2 which could have been salvaged into something that thematically and stylistically fits the show.

Season 3 spoilers
I believe large chunks of Season 3 take place outside of Twin Peaks as well.

Joqu

Everybody is good when Lynch is directing them. Man just has a special talent from gettign amazing performances from his actors. Even James Marshall was usually OK when Lynch was behind the camera.

Episode 29 is just amazing from the standpoint how everybody just shows up after sleepwalking through so much of the season.

In an ideal world I think they should have had Lynch direct every 4 to 5 episodes while Mark Frost stayed in the writer's room as active showrunner. I think that would have kept the cast and crew engaged. But the audience would have still bailed anyway.

Hmhm. I'm liking this season 2 part of the rewatch way more than I thought I would, but boy do I know 29 will be a breath of fresh are again compared to this stuff. It's such a stark difference.

But yeah, the audience was bailing well before things started to go awry, as nice as it would've been your scenario wouldn't have done a damn thing for the series... :/

hughesta

Banned
not really worried about spoiling bits of Season 2 for myself by reading along with this thread, knew most of what transpires years ago, but I gotta ask: who is Annie? is she only in the books?

Real Hero

not really worried about spoiling bits of Season 2 for myself by reading along with this thread, knew most of what transpires years ago, but I gotta ask: who is Annie? is she only in the books?

Nah she is introduced late in season 2 and is pretty key to what happens at the end, she's in the movie too briefly. The new book acts like she doesn't exist

Blader

Windom Earle has a mind like a diamond

aMfmJoi.jpg

While I'm more than okay with the entire show taking place in a dream or wherever, I'd be really disappointed if that's the explanation for the Secret History's "retcons." I didn't read (well, listen to) that to catch up on a brand new continuity. The Secret History Of A Secretly Different Twin Peaks doesn't have the same appeal.

Until the film jumped straight to Philadelphia and Deer Meadow and back to Canada. I'm not convinced that that the creators cared that much about containing Twin Peaks to that one town. Frost also escapes its confines for a huge chunk of his book about its supposed history.

I'm not saying the show shouldn't have left, I'm just saying that nothing that makes that escapade bad was seeded in anything Lynch did, and if they still had an A plot, I can't imagine that all that nonsense would have been there.

James' adventures at Wally's Hideout (or whatever you want to call it) are completely unrelated to everything else going on in the show. Deer Meadow and Philadelphia (and One Eyed Jacks) are not.

We go to those places because the main storyline dictated it. That subplot would be the first thing to go if there had been a true A plot for that section of episodes.

Charamiwa

Banned

I hate him so much. First of all I hate this idea of a brilliant mastermind killer who's somehow always one step ahead of everyone, in any fiction. I find it almost childish. Him laughing like a maniac while doing awful shit is so uninspired, and that's basically all he's doing. Add to that the stupid disguises he does (the worst being by far the Log Lady during the Miss Twin Peaks contest, my god is it dumb) and the fact that all of it really goes nowhere... I really can't stand him.

Rewatching it right now, I had a real hard time going through it. His whole character is silly, but not in an undearing way like other things in the show. As a whole the writing becomes really awful with him, the whole Miss Twin Peaks/Queen of Heart thing is forced and is introduced way too late to make any sense. And when he sends a poem to 3 girls who just happen to be 3 main characters of the show, it really makes the whole thing silly and annoying.

Also Cooper in love is worst Cooper. It's weird. I do like Annie though

edit:

Yeah this is exactly what I'm talking about. Somehow Major Briggs announces he'll take a walk in the woods, somehow this fucker comes with his stupid laugh and disguise and shoots a sleeping dart to capture him. There's Twin Peaks silly, and then there's plain silly. This crosses the line to me.

Joqu

lmao

Best Twin Peaks romance ever though?

I hate him so much.

snip

I basically agree with you but I still like him, sorry!
I do chalk a lot of it up to season 2's average writing quality at that point in general but yeah, that's basically the majority of his character so I don't blame you for taking issue with him. Like they do an awful job at showcasing his supposed brilliance, and I don't find that stuff particularly compelling anyway. It's his history with Coop I find intriguing.

Okay, I do love disguises. Come on those are the best.

is this windom earle? nobody knows

But yeah, not a fan of lovey dovey Dale. At all.

Yeah this is exactly what I'm talking about. Somehow Major Briggs announces he'll take a walk in the woods, somehow this fucker comes with his stupid laugh and disguise and shoots a sleeping dart to capture him. There's Twin Peaks silly, and then there's plain silly. This crosses the line to me.

The worst part is the major says he is going for a walk in the woods and then is going to go get some sleep. Then the next day they are pretty non shalant about the whole thing. "Sill no word for the Major?" "Nope. We're keeping a lookout." "Oh well". Gee, there is a serial killer stalking the community and a character who happens to have a prior relationship to Earl goes missing? Maybe you should do your job, drop everything, and go look for the missing person instead of going out on the lake with Annie!

Sloppiness like this abounds through the second season. You've got Andy wandering around the Roadhouse during the pagent with urgent news for Cooper but he can't find him. But Cooper is standing right out in the open next to the bar!

Oh 3 people have personally been targeted by the killer? Why bother with protective custody. Instead we will just give them a stern warning to be careful and check in every 12 hours.

I'm curious why Ray Wise has been absent from any promotional material so far, I at least expected he'd of been shot for a magazine spread by now. Then again we just got glimpses of Beymer and Tamblyn. Not sure who else is left to be seen from the og cast at this point besides Wise.

Speculation what his role may be? Kinda hoping new
Bob.

I'm curious why Ray Wise has been absent from any promotional material so far, I at least expected he'd of been shot for a magazine spread by now. Then again we just got glimpses of Beymer and Tamblyn. Not sure who else is left to be seen from the og cast at this point besides Wise.

Bob.

I'm kind of thinking they regret the news of his casting got out and they are still trying to keep a lid on his involvement.

Joqu

Bob.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping for too.
He plays a terrific villain, especially in Fire Walk with Me.

I'm kind of thinking they regret the news of his casting got out and they are still trying to keep a lid on his involvement.

Didn't he technically leak the whole revival way back? I seem to remember something like that.

Oh wait, that might have been the blu-ray thing. Still.

.JayZii

Banned

Bob.
That's what I'm thinking.

PolishQ

Not sure who else is left to be seen from the og cast at this point besides Wise.

Let's see...
- We've barely seen James
- We haven't seen Jerry Horne
- We haven't seen the Log Lady
- We haven't seen Doc Hayward
- We haven't seen Mike (either of them)
- We haven't seen Betty Briggs
- We haven't seen the Giant
- We haven't seen Laura Palmer (or whoever Sheryl Lee is playing) as she appears in the show
- We haven't seen Bobby as he appears in the show
- We haven't seen Audrey as she appears in the show
- We haven't seen Nadine as she appears in the show

Those are the big ones.

Great writeup on FWWM (spoilers obv)

Some good deconstruction in there for those interested.

Let's see...
- We haven't seen Laura Palmer (or whoever Sheryl Lee is playing) as she appears in the show

Those are the big ones.

I meant more promotional material overall but good list. Hope Jerry has more than a cameo, love me some DPK.

.JayZii

Banned
Let's see...

Those are the big ones.
Was the Log Lady filmed before passing away?

Flipyap

lmao

Best Twin Peaks romance ever though?
I think you mean
2tHQXlj.gif
(NSFW)

Let's see...

The Log Lady, Doc Hayward, Jerry and Sylvia Horne, Ronette, Mike, MIKE, the giant, Jumping Man, Betty Briggs, Julee Cruise, Gresten Hayward, Louie the overly excitable desk clerk from the Great Northern, some people who mostly stood in the background...
And last and least, the truck driver who gets an HJ and the cop who can't spell Jaguar.

.JayZii

Banned
Let's see...

The Log Lady, Doc Hayward, Jerry and Sylvia Horne, Ronette, Mike, MIKE, the giant, Jumping Man, Betty Briggs, Julee Cruise, Gresten Hayward, Louie the overly excitable desk clerk from the Great Northern, some people who mostly stood in the background...
And last and least, the truck driver who gets an HJ and the cop who can't spell Jaguar.
Let's not forget about the kid who does his wack dance move in the background of the pilot, or Heidi the German waitress.

Fisty

I'm REALLY hoping we get some answers to what happened with Chet Desmond. Seems like there is something there to be continued, or at least learn where exactly he went. Maybe he's just been kicking back and sipping coffee with Coop in the Lodge lol

Also, really hoping beyond all reason that Miguel Ferrer filmed some scenes before his death in Jan :(

Blader

That thing with the mayor and his brother fighting is probably the worst thing about S2. It didn't make any sense to me. Who are these people anyway? At least with James' road trip troubles you knew who James and Donna even were.

Bob.

That's what I'm thinking too.

Also, really hoping beyond all reason that Miguel Ferrer filmed some scenes before his death in Jan :(

He did indeed. You can see a brief snippet in the teaser trailer from last week.

That thing with the mayor and his brother fighting is probably the worst thing about S2. It didn't make any sense to me. Who are these people anyway? At least with James' road trip troubles you knew who James and Donna even were.

For my money the worst was Andy, Dick Tremayne, and Little Nicky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom