• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 Premieres May 21 - 2 Hour Premiere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joqu

I definitely don't like what they do with the woman (who's name I've forgotten) but I sort of love the major's brother. He's funny to me. :mad:

Let's see...
- We've barely seen James
- We haven't seen Jerry Horne
- We haven't seen the Log Lady
- We haven't seen Doc Hayward
- We haven't seen Mike (either of them)
- We haven't seen Betty Briggs
- We haven't seen the Giant
- We haven't seen Laura Palmer (or whoever Sheryl Lee is playing) as she appears in the show
- We haven't seen Bobby as he appears in the show
- We haven't seen Audrey as she appears in the show
- We haven't seen Nadine as she appears in the show

Those are the big ones.
I thought we saw Lodge Laura whispering to old Coop in one of the photographs released? Was that just staged for a magazine spread or something?

I do hope that we *don't* know all the returning cast, and that they were able to sneak some people into the studio.

Mainly Toad. It's going to be really weird if Toad isn't at the RR at least once. I will be left wondering about him forever if that's the case.

For my money the worst was Andy, Dick Tremayne, and Little Nicky.

It's a bad sub plot. But it's Andy and Dick Tremayne so it's also a great sub plot.

Blader

Shit, just realized that both the two-hour finale for this AND the Game of Thrones finale will both be airing on the same Sunday (Aug 27th)... I'm going to be up very late that night.

Airola

Yeah, but it didn't have a wide release until August 1990, so he potentially could have been busy with promotion and distribution while Season 2 was being written and filmed.

The fifth episode of the second season was being written in August 17th.
http://www.glastonberrygrove.net/texts/script12.html

The sixth episode of the second season was being written in August 28th with the last revision of it written in September 17th.
http://www.glastonberrygrove.net/texts/script13.html

By then there was nothing more to do with Wild at Heart.

Basically it could be possible that he wasn't able to be part of writing the first 6 episodes of the second season but if that is so, how he was able to direct two of those episodes?

If anything, he was completely free from Wild at Heart after the killer's reveal. Wild at Heart just can't be an excuse for him or anyone else. There must've been something else going on.

What I found truly bizarre is that evidently Lynch was a part of the interview process for casting Ted Raimi in the throwaway role as one of
Earle's
victims. Lynch has time for that tiny bit of casting but he can't be a bit more involved in providing better oversight when the season was spiraling down the gutter?

Also he was there during the casting for Evelyn Marsh too :D

"I went in to audition wearing my best outfit. It was this skintight black dress and they didn't tell me anything. I got to meet with David [Lynch] and I remember he sort of asked me to be emotional. As an actress, it's very confrontational to just be crying in front of these people and I did! And he said, 'Your'e on!'"
-Annette McCarthy (Evelyn Marsh) on Brad Dukes' book Reflections: An Oral History of Twin Peaks

PolishQ

I suppose the most likely explanation is that Lynch simply got fed up with the show after being forced to reveal the killer, and/or got overwhelmed by the amount of work needed for a full 22-episode season.

Airola

I remember him being fun at in 29 though!
Yeah sure, Lynch is clearly eager to get rid of him, but his scene in the woods with Annie is good and well, he gets a good death.

Yeah I don't think it points anyway to the direction that David would've hated the character. If anything, I think that making someone
die an awesome death
can be interpreted as loving the character. If you hate a character, you don't do things like that with him.

According to Kenneth Welsh, David even went on to criticize the clothes he was made to wear and claimed Windom should be wearing all black all the time.
I think he loved the character but wasn't too happy about some of the things he was written to do and written to be like and out of that love he made Windom very exciting in the finale.

Flipyap

Also he was there during the casting for Evelyn Marsh too :D

"I went in to audition wearing my best outfit. It was this skintight black dress and they didn't tell me anything. I got to meet with David [Lynch] and I remember he sort of asked me to be emotional. As an actress, it's very confrontational to just be crying in front of these people and I did! And he said, 'Your'e on!'"
-Annette McCarthy (Evelyn Marsh) on Brad Dukes' book Reflections: An Oral History of Twin Peaks
I wish we could have gotten at least one Evelyn scene directed by Lynch, because I simply do not understand what he saw in her. She appears terribly miscast for the kind of femme fatale they tried to portray.

Fisty

That thing with the mayor and his brother fighting is probably the worst thing about S2. It didn't make any sense to me. Who are these people anyway? At least with James' road trip troubles you knew who James and Donna even were.

This is exactly the precise moment the show took a huge swan dive onto the concrete. At the end of the previous episode, we
see Leland out himself as the killer, display demonic possession tendencies, mortally injure himself, and die in Cooper's arms as he gently talks him into peace and understanding as he dies.

At the very beginning of the next episode,
we have Cooper, Truman, and Hawk laughing and joking about the two wrestling brothers and getting a couple of jokes in... AT THE FUNERAL FOR THE MAN WHO RAPED AND MURDERED HIS OWN DAUGHTER. AND THE FUNERAL IS IN THE FUCKING PALMER HOUSE. SO HEY JUST SOME GOOD OLD FASHIONED "SORRY ABOUT YOUR PSYCHOTIC HUSBAND WHO IRREPARABLY RUINED DOZENS OF LIVES, NICE HOUSE YOU GOT HERE" HORSEPLAY AND RIBBING

I suppose the most likely explanation is that Lynch simply got fed up with the show after being forced to reveal the killer, and/or got overwhelmed by the amount of work needed for a full 22-episode season.

That's why I think the show was always doomed. Whether it was Season 2 or Season 3, Lynch was always going to get bored at some point and move on. The same thing would have happened if Mulholland Drive got picked up to series. He's just not a nuts and bolts, we have to crank out 22 episodes a year on tight deadlines for perpetuity kind of guy.

That's why this new series is basically the right place and time. It can only be as long as it needs to be and he was given an extraordinarily lenient deadline.

I wish we could have gotten at least one Evelyn scene directed by Lynch, because I simply do not understand what he saw in her. She appears terribly miscast for the kind of femme fatale they tried to portray.

Her brown teeth are so distracting but that probably wasn't obvious on broadcast TV in the '90s.

PolishQ

That's why I think the show was always doomed. Whether it was Season 2 or Season 3, Lynch was always going to get bored at some point and move on. The same thing would have happened if Mulholland Drive got picked up to series. He's just not a nuts and bolts, we have to crank out 22 episodes a year on tight deadlines for perpetuity kind of guy.

It's really hard to say. Without the network meddling, I think he could have remained engaged. If they forced the show to go on longer than he wanted, sure, he probably would have gotten bored. Otherwise I think he would have had the foresight to end it where it needed to end. The problem was that he didn't have full control and he couldn't deal with that.

Snagret

This is exactly the precise moment the show took a huge swan dive onto the concrete. At the end of the previous episode, we
see Leland out himself as the killer, display demonic possession tendencies, mortally injure himself, and die in Cooper's arms as he gently talks him into peace and understanding as he dies.

we have Cooper, Truman, and Hawk laughing and joking about the two wrestling brothers and getting a couple of jokes in... AT THE FUNERAL FOR THE MAN WHO RAPED AND MURDERED HIS OWN DAUGHTER. AND THE FUNERAL IS IN THE FUCKING PALMER HOUSE. SO HEY JUST SOME GOOD OLD FASHIONED "SORRY ABOUT YOUR PSYCHOTIC HUSBAND WHO IRREPARABLY RUINED DOZENS OF LIVES, NICE HOUSE YOU GOT HERE" HORSEPLAY AND RIBBING
This is one of my least favorite aspects of S2. After Leeland is buried the whole town basically forgets the Laura Palmer thing ever even happened, which totally betrays the themes and compelling tone of the initial mystery. By the time Annie mentions Laura's murder in passing late into the end of the season it's almost a shock to hear her name given how long it's been since anybody has mentioned her or the murder. Everyone gets so immediately wrapped up in their own dumb subplots that they completely suck the atmosphere and intrigue right out of the show for like, 9 solid episodes.

It's really hard to say. Without the network meddling, I think he could have remained engaged. If they forced the show to go on longer than he wanted, sure, he probably would have gotten bored. Otherwise I think he would have had the foresight to end it where it needed to end. The problem was that he didn't have full control and he couldn't deal with that.

I think that's kind of the point. I don't think ABC would have just let him end wherever he wanted to. If it remained successful they would have run it into the ground.

This is one of my least favorite aspects of S2. After Leeland is buried the whole town basically forgets the Laura Palmer thing ever even happened, which totally betrays the themes and compelling tone of the initial mystery. By the time Annie mentions Laura's murder in passing late into the end of the season it's almost a shock to hear her name given how long it's been since anybody has mentioned her or the murder. Everyone gets so immediately wrapped up in their own dumb subplots that they completely suck the atmosphere and intrigue right out of the show for like, 9 solid episodes.

What's crazy is because of the show's 1 episode = 1 day format, it had only been just over a month after her murder when the show ended! If the show had played out Lucy's pregnancy in real time she wouldn't have even delivered until Season 10 or something.

Flipyap

The way they refused to acknowledge what happened in the town is nothing short of disgraceful. It would be nice if the new show found a way to retcon the poor handling of the subject
into some kind of campaign to silence the controversy. There's no universe in which Twin Peaks Post should be printing headlines like "Leland Palmer laid to rest - Town mourns."
This issue is why I value James as a Season 2 character. His subplot might be the dullest thing in the world, but
actually caring about the victims after Leland's last episode
makes him the secret emotional core of Season 2.

Her brown teeth are so distracting but that probably wasn't obvious on broadcast TV in the '90s.
Aw, that's mean.
Yeah, kinda.
On that note, I hope Gordon won't try to kiss anyone this season. The diet consisting entirely of coffee, cigarettes and quinoa sure did a number on Lynch's cig hole.

Joqu

I just decided to give episode 29 a rewatch because hey, why not. It's always a good time.

But gosh, that moment when Sycamore Trees starts playing always gives me such chills. Just magical. That's another one I'd love to hear again this season.

The way they refused to acknowledge what happened in the town is nothing short of disgraceful. It would be nice if the new show found a way to retcon the poor handling of the subject
into some kind of campaign to silence the controversy. There's no universe in which Twin Peaks Post should be printing headlines like "Leland Palmer laid to rest - Town mourns."
This issue is why I value James as a Season 2 character. His subplot might be the dullest thing in the world, but
actually caring about the victims after Laland's last episode
makes him the secret emotional core of Season 2.

Aw, that's mean.
Yeah, kinda.
On that note, I hope Gordon won't try to kiss anyone this season. The diet consisting entirely of coffee, cigarettes and quinoa sure did a number on Lynch's cig hole.

As tragic as Laura's murder is, I feel worse that no one remembers
Maddie. Poor girl just made the mistake of visiting town to be with her her aunt and uncle during their time of need and she not only gets brutally murdered but no one even gives it a mention after the fact.

I love the end of Episode 7 so much with that feeling that Cooper has failed but it's such a missed opportunity that the show never follows up on that should mean for his character.

ntinosaur

I was just browsing Twin Peaks Wiki and stumbled upon this :

It's the first time i've seen this. Have any of you guys seen this before ?

Charamiwa

Banned
Finally rewatched the finale. I had forgotten how little we see of the red room in the show, and how special it feels as a result.

The best thing about the episode (and the whole mythology of the show) is how they managed to blend really surrealistic images with actual tangible characters and dynamics that are familiar. The red room is crazy and surreal to see, but it also kind of make perfect sense. That blend is what makes it so good.

Also it really feels like a nightmare. Creepy, weird, calm... but dangerous, and before you realize it, deadly. The way
Cooper slowly runs away from his doppelgänger and eventually gets caught is like nightmare 101, it's crazy how uncomfortable it is to watch.

It's also funny to see Lynch handwave away most of the plot points that were built up this season.

Now I'm gonna rewatch the movie. Really excited, never seen the remastered version and there's plenty of things I don't remember about it!

.JayZii

Banned
Finally rewatched the finale. I had forgotten how little we see of the red room in the show, and how special it feels as a result.

The best thing about the episode (and the whole mythology of the show) is how they managed to blend really surrealistic images with actual tangible characters and dynamics that are familiar. The red room is crazy and surreal to see, but it also kind of make perfect sense. That blend is what makes it so good.

Also it really feels like a nightmare. Creepy, weird, calm... but dangerous, and before you realize it, deadly. The way
Cooper slowly runs away from his doppleganger and eventually gets caught is like nightmare 101, it's crazy how uncomfortable it is to watch.

It's also funny to see Lynch handwave away most of the plot points that were built up this season.

Now I'm gonna rewatch the movie. Really excited, never seen the remastered version and there's plenty of things I don't remember about it!
Cataract eyes Laura screaming and crawling backwards over the chair is some next level shit for a tv show. I can't even imagine people tuning in at prime time in 1991 to watch that on ABC.

Cataract eyes Laura screaming and crawling backwards over the chair is some next level shit for a tv show. I can't even imagine people tuning in at prime time in 1991 to watch that on ABC.

I like this quote from one of the ABC execs at the time reminiscing on the finale:

http://www.gq.com/story/david-lynch-twin-peaks-finale

But we're saying all this now, with the benefit of decades of hindsight. Back in 1991, this was it. Cooper was corrupted—maybe even dead?—and evil had triumphed, with Bob acquiring a brand-new federal agent body to spread his evil across the land. And what did ABC think of this particular gambit? In Brad Dukes' authoritative Reflections: An Oral History of Twin Peaks, Philip Segal—then the programming director of ABC—didn't mince words:

"I just laughed at it because it laughed at us. It made a mockery of us. It made a mockery of the television audience when you think about it. It was so ridiculous. There was a part of me that thought it was brilliant and refreshing because it broke the rules and was so avant-garde and there was a part of me and part of the network that felt betrayed and felt this wonderful opportunity to keep something brilliant alive had just been destroyed by its creators."

Certainly not what anyone expected.

First time I visited Twede's (RR Diner) irl they had some great photos framed near the back of the restaurant with some outtake-ish photos of those with the cataract eyes from the finale shoot just goofing and mugging the camera. Will see if I can find them they're pretty great.

Levito

Banned
If you have a PS4, PlayStation Vue allows you to subscribe just to Showtime. You can watch the channel live and access their on demand content. If you have PS+ it's only 8.99/month.

Thank you, I might have to do that. No Hulu sub in Canada unfortunately.

Kalor

I'm finally going through the blu ray set and I didn't realize that there were episode previews where Lucy talked over them. They are pretty amazing.

Kalor

Dammit, really? I've been skipping the previews this whole time. :L

There are two kinds in the set. There are previews with a generic announcer then Tonight in Twin Peaks which are the Lucy ones. I havent checked if they did them for season 2 but the most of season 1 has them.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm finally going through the blu ray set and I didn't realize that there were episode previews where Lucy talked over them. They are pretty amazing.

Loved the Lucy previews, watching the Blu-Ray set it's both fun seeing the show remastered, but also fun seeing the Log Lady intros and Lucy "Next Episode" previews.

It's been a while since I've done my rewatch of the series, but I feel that Season 2 had Lucy previews since I remember Season 2 episodes being previewed by Lucy's quirky narration. Maybe not the whole season or maybe I'm just mis-remembering, though.

Joqu

There are two kinds in the set. There are previews with a generic announcer then Tonight in Twin Peaks which are the Lucy ones. I havent checked if they did them for season 2 but the most of season 1 has them.

Hm. I'm gonna have to check these out tomorrow, Lucy's great so they sound like fun.

It's a separate thing then? I've been playing the log lady intros with the episodes so I knew about that.

I guess I really haven't dug too deeply into the extras come to think of it. I watched Missing Pieces of course though I don't consider that an extra, and the Lynch interview with the Palmers. Not much more.

Anyone in the uk know a way to watch it live that doesn't involve Sky or Now TV? They're 720p and I'd rather jump through hoops to get a higher quality live stream via proxy, DNS or whatever. I'll pay Showtime for the privledge, or Hulu or Amazon or whoever

This is assuming these services are >720p. If they're not I just won't bother.

I'm flying cross-country to DC on Sunday for work, arriving by 5 p.m., and am looking forward to an evening of Twin Peaks.

If I can't get PS Vue to work via hotel wifi, I'll be so pissed.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The guy who described Wyndom Earle as a Batman '66 villain is so right on. All that was missing was the dutch angles. I completely tuned out from the show after he started showing up.

hydruxo

The guy who described Wyndom Earle as a Batman '66 villain is so right on. All that was missing was the dutch angles. I completely tuned out from the show after he started showing up.

The concept of Earle was way better than the execution IMO. He was just way too over the top and hammy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom