• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch announces 24/7 Food channel with Julia Child Marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Julia taught me how to make anything tasty.

Butter and brandy, y'all. Butter and brandy.

Actually, my omelette game is on point because of her. Will watch this all day and night.

tkscz

Here, done
1359466172_6113_butter%20stick.jpg

Julia Childs, not Paula Dean.

I don't get it. They spend all this time outlawing non games content then they announce their own non games content..
Well.... DansGaming and LethalFrag will be quite happy about this! Those two love cooking.
I'd be surprised if they didn't get LethalFrag to do a show on this.

I don't get it. They spend all this time outlawing non games content then they announce their own non games content..

I'd be surprised if they didn't get LethalFrag to do a show on this.

They probably wanted to keep all content on brand while they were trying to build up the company, now it makes more sense to diversify.

Chris R

Would be cool if PBS would work with Twitch to get some of their cooking shows on here. Make the ad that airs talk about supporting your local PBS or something.

I assume Twitch is actually going to show actual cooking shows and not just progressively shittier competition shows like Food Network.

The secret I've found is that if you want any cooking programming out of Food Network you have to be watching in the morning. Otherwise it is definitely competitions all the way down.

FyreWulff

what makes it even worse is they can't even be assed to build separate sets, literally every competition show uses that one set. All the time.

If I had a little more space and professional lighting, I would totally start a cooking channel on Twitch. I cook almost every night and I do almost everything from scratch. I'm not one who puts a ton of oil and butter in everything, either.

Can't wait for the "BON APETITE" chants.

jediyoshi

what makes it even worse is they can't even be assed to build separate sets, literally every competition show uses that one set. All the time.

Cutthroat Kitchen is actually lovely. Though it's mostly an excuse to get another fill of Alton Brown doing Alton Brown things.

As for an actual cooking channel available 24/7 I might make use of it if it's not all reality tv. That said some sort of "twitch tries cooking" show where famous streamers have to learn to cook would be interesting. There used to be " cooking with the pros" a starcraft 2 thing for a while back in the day and god damn but the pro gamers were legit struggling to make even the simplest meals because they were just so used to others cooking for them/ eating frozen meals or ordering takeout. actual education could happen with stuff like that.

One of the more incredible effects of the Bob Ross stream was people trying to follow along live with tablets and MS Paint or Photoshop. I have to hope something similar happens with Julia Child, it seems only natural.

The Bob Ross thing was fine, but why can't you start of with actual live cooking? Being it's a live streaming website?

Julia Child is just the hook.

Won't be long before mukbang moves to twitch :D

I was wondering how in the hell they got the license given PBS seems content to just sit on a vast vault of everything and let it atrophy into nothing in terms of digital content, or even physical---but the above being the same holding that has Bob Ross makes a ton of sense.

One can only hope they are priming for some more proper drinking game shows down the line like Galloping Gourmet and Justin Wilson's~...

MOST IMPORTANTLY---this is the, perhaps, last best shot we may get for all manner of shows of this type getting some sort of proper archival presence and stewardship. There is a vast wealth of cooking and food culture shows out there, I even had a thread on it way on back I think, but so much has been just unceremoniously left on the wayside like so much garbage instead of the handy cultural treasures/artifacts they are.

manhack

Can it really be as good as Bob Ross? I doubt it but let's see

Better for me because I'm way more interested in cooking than painting, however Bob Ross was more than just the painting; it was about achieving zen.

I'm not sure how well Julia Child transcends cooking.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Better for me because I'm way more interested in cooking than painting, however Bob Ross was more than just the painting; it was about achieving zen.

well yeah, you don't watch bob ross to be a master painter, you watch bob ross to watch bob ross doing bob ross things

She essentially laid the foundation for hundreds of chefs who didn't know about food during the golden age of TV. For many, it was the first time they had seen French techniques and cooking with some specific ingredients.

Julia Child is incredibly important to the history of TV, let alone cooking.

jediyoshi

There's something about Child's and Ross' voice where if I zone out enough, it just becomes pleasant white noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom