• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Donation Drama: Donator takes back $11,000 in donations

Volodja

I do not generally ever watch streaming, but some people actually give money to streamers??? That's just fucked up, seriously just buy some games people
They pay the stramer because they enjoy watching him stream, not because they want to play the game he is streaming (most of the times, I guess pre release streams are kind of like that, however).
The biggest viewership numbers are for two free to play games.
Donate for other people's hobbies? Nah thanks. If I donate or invest it is either for my personal use in the end (like Kickstarter) or for real charity.

I mean I also didn't raise donations when I played with my model railway back then. And it was also quite some money that sunk into that.

I mean seriously nobody forces them to buy all that equipment and stream stuff..
I don't get your argument, it's not like and anybody is forced to donate.
People donate because they are entertained and want the streamer to continue to do his thing.

I mean, people, it's not that hard, a lot of people actually want to give money for stuff they like, they actually contact streamers to know if they can donate without any sollicitation too.

I'm a Patreon patron for a couple of guys who let's play various games and the patreon situation buys them the financial flexibility to produce more content I enjoy

*shrug*

I actually see the effort in producing videos (editing) or organizing events (tournaments). I'm strictly talking about people that switch on the stream and play an hour without anything else to it.

Volodja

I actually see the effort in producing videos (editing) or organizing events (tournaments). I'm strictly talking about people that switch on the stream and play an hour without anything else to it.
Entertaining people for hours is not easy.
The majority of these people you talk about get no viewers and obviously no money. The ones that do have been found by a pretty big amount of people to be entertaining, maybe they are funny, maybe insightful, maybe just really damn good at the game, but they have qualities that put what they do beyond the switching the stream on and playing that any random person could do.

SigSig

I just cant feel bad for someone who streams games as their sole form of income

You can't feel bad for a 14yo who suddenly owes Paypal 720 dollars because he dared to buy things (= better streaming equipment, not icecream) from the money someone donated to him?

Volodja

I just cant feel bad for someone who streams games as their sole form of income
The fact that your empathy disappers for such a small reason is pretty sad.
I mean I find it questionable to forego any empathy when criminals are involved, let alone a 14yo that did nothing wrong.

Munin

That this can still happen on PayPal is kind of fucked up but I find it hard to sympathize with these people. It's like people who are perfectly able to work a real job (and yes that includes the 14 year old, we're not talking about sweatshop work here, but 14 year olds working a few hours every weekend for some pocket money has nothing to do with third world conditions) then turning to panhandling and complaining that they've been given counterfeit money.

Personally, I think there is nothing wrong with asking donations, if they want to do it that's their choice. It is also the choice of the donor to give the money.

The problem here is the OP is attempting to blame paypal for something that is not 100% their fault. And he is trying to make to appeal to our emotions (logical fallacy) by using a 14 year old kid as the basis of his argument. Quite frankly a 14 year kid should not be engaging in such an activity and considering the risk that comes with accepting digital money this is the result.

I am not going to feel bad about the kid getting screwed, if 750 dollars was enough to put you in a hole maybe said 14 year old should not have been participating in such an activity in the first place.

Thanks for the info. This supports what I'm saying -- there's no actual reason PayPal has to push this cost onto the person who experienced a fraudulent charge.

Do you know why paypal HAS to push the cost onto the person who experienced Fraudulent charges? Do you even understand the implications if paypal starts to eat the cost of any fraudulent charges? They will be more fraud, people could intentionally give money do a charge back and both side (donor and the receiver) get to their money.

It will lead to more fraud and to paypal going bankrupt. You might not care, but I am sure paypal does and that is why they will never eat the cost. Leads to more fraud, less profit all for nothing. They gain nothing from losing the money.

G-Fex

Thanks for the info. This supports what I'm saying -- there's no actual reason PayPal has to push this cost onto the person who experienced a fraudulent charge.

Do you actually have an underlying reason for this somewhere or are you going to just keep repeating your original assertion every time people ask you to explain it? "It's bad because taking donations is bad" isn't a real explanation.

Alright. No problem I don't see why I don't explain my thoughts on things.

Donations aren't a bad thing. Even if it's for trivial things.

I used to think getting paid for such things via ad revenue for youtube or twitch partner was the coolest thing, now I'm pretty indifferent to it. I'm not even sure if one can make a living if you're not one of the most popular casters with over 5000+ viewers daily or so. I'm not sure.

If you can that's great awesome, more power to you. If someone can get viewers to pay for bills/internet/games/food/living whatever, again more power to them. If someone wants to pay the tab willingly , cool.

I personally don't like such a idea of depending on someone for such things consistently via donation.

So no donations aren't bad, and neither is taking them. It's peoples money they can do what they want.

Kid can cast sure that's great, he wants to make extra money with this stuff is cool but also need a parents assistance in case of something like this happens.

And there's casters who put big giant paypal buttons below their channel, and there's some who put it right there on the screen when they are Live. And there are some people who talk and do mention donating to them. Not everyone, but there are some out there whether big time channel or smaller ones. Yes, they do actually exist and aren't made up.

I apologize for stating it as factual earlier.

ultron87

What length of time would someone have to sit on the money before they can be sure it won't get charged back like this?

Top Bottom