• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch launches Power Rangers Marathon starting Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time Force actually has a narrative structure and coherent plot direction throughout, that's what makes it the best on top of the suit designs tbh.

Helps that they basically just copied the plot of the Japanese side but with slightly more drama.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Time Force actually has a narrative structure and coherent plot direction throughout, that's what makes it the best on top of the suit designs tbh.

Helps that they basically just copied the plot of the Japanese side but with slightly more drama.

And has Bennett

I agree. You cant just go from say MMPR to InSpace. You just lose a lot in the middle there.
I'd argue maybe MMPR1-2, then Turbo, then Space. But specifically I feel like Turbo is a prime thing to know when heading into Space, especially Turbo's second half.

Delio

And has Bennett

I'd argue maybe MMPR1-2, then Turbo, then Space. But specifically I feel like Turbo is a prime thing to know when heading into Space, especially Turbo's second half.

I agree with not skipping Turbo's second half. Not only to be introduced to the new kids but to go into In Space. But I think someone might be confused if they go from season 2 right into Turbo since by then the only originals they would know would be Tommy and Adam.

Time Force always bugged me because of this one particular weird line from Jen at the finale:

Alex: Well I'm going to have to put you all in this machine and make you forget about everything you've been through in the year 2001.

Jen: No! We want to go back and help Wes!

Alex: You can't. You'll be destroyed.

Jen: How can we live our lives knowing that it cost Wes his?

But you...won't know that anymore? That's what Alex is trying to do? That's the point? I dunno. It was such a strange line to me when I first heard it. And that's on top of the other weird things about Time Force that come as a result of its time travelling premise. Oh, the Megazord is badly damaged and needs time to be repaired in the future so they can't send it back in time? It's not two parallel dimensions with a linear time flow. It's literally time travel! Why would the rangers need to wait? ahueihdheiudheeiodeiodjeiod

Boss Doggie

I agree with not skipping Turbo's second half. Not only to be introduced to the new kids but to go into In Space. But I think someone might be confused if they go from season 2 right into Turbo since by then the only originals they would know would be Tommy and Adam.

Adam and Justin were the only alumni in Space though so it's fine.

Arc

You only really need to watch the last few episodes of Turbo to enjoy In Space. The second half the season is bearable, but boy is the first half bad.

Boss Doggie

You only really need to watch the last few episodes of Turbo to enjoy In Space. The second half the season is bearable, but boy is the first half bad.

I'd argue you need to gain some stuff for Zordon as to make the climax more meaningful, which is why I suggest to back to MMPR even up to season 2.

Arc

I'd argue you need to gain some stuff for Zordon as to make the climax more meaningful, which is why I suggest to back to MMPR even up to season 2.

Oh definitely, plus to really enjoy the finale you'd need to have seen the villians and some supporting characters from the first five seasons. But that's a lot of Power Rangers to watch lol

The last Power Rangers I watched was Time Force back in like 2002, have more nostalgia for that one out of the rest.

Especially for these villains:
9c3e3337f8e700b9125f02c6af65e423.jpg

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The last Power Rangers I watched was Time Force back in like 2002, have more nostalgia for that one out of the rest.

Fun fact about Gluto on the left, in the original Timeranger, he was the main villain. He wasn't an idiot, he lead a mafia family.

Slayven

Fun Fact the creature on the left was the main bad guy in the sentai series. while the girl on the right was his lover that just happened to look like his mother

WillyFive

Fun fact about Gluto on the left, in the original Timeranger, he was the main villain. He wasn't an idiot, he lead a mafia family.

Fun Fact the creature on the left was the main bad guy in the sentai series. while the girl on the right was his lover that just happened to look like his mother

As much as I loved the Timeranger villains and how well written they were; what Power Rangers did with Ransik was fantastic, even if it was a lot like X-Men.

BatDan

As much as I loved the Timeranger villains and how well written they were; what Power Rangers did with Ransik was fantastic, even if it was a lot like X-Men.

Oh agreed. They worked some magic back then considering Tzachor's whole "follow the Sentai to the exact letter" mindset. I suspect Lost Galaxy broke him, trying to fit a series about forest hippies fighting space pirates into another space opera while dealing with major production issues.

People should read this. It's old but goes over the trouble & turmoils of head writer Judd Lynn as he worked on Turbo to Time Force.
Lynn is the current showrunner after Tzachor was fired for botching Megaforce, but a lot of his magic seems to be gone. Relying less on story and character and more on fart jokes and getting hit in the face with food. Though I suspect the blame for that is on the other writers.

would watch for Zeo, Turbo, In Space, Lost Galaxy, Lightspeed Rescue, Time Force, Ninja Storm, Dino Thunder, and maybe the first couple of episodes of SPD. That's the good stuff...okay maybe not all of Lost Galaxy. RPM is good too.

Oh agreed. They worked some magic back then considering Tzachor's whole "follow the Sentai to the exact letter" mindset. I suspect Lost Galaxy broke him, trying to fit a series about forest hippies fighting space pirates into another space opera while dealing with major production issues.

People should read this. It's old but goes over the trouble & turmoils of head writer Judd Lynn as he worked on Turbo to Time Force.
Lynn is the current showrunner after Tzachor was fired for botching Megaforce, but a lot of his magic seems to be gone. Relying less on story and character and more on fart jokes and getting hit in the face with food. Though I suspect the blame for that is on the other writers.

No, I'd say a good portion of that blame falls on Judd himself and Saban.

Big One

Banned
Eh I stopped caring about Power Rangers when Saban thought it was a good idea to basically make them the same as their sentai versions plot-wise but much much worse. I mean sure there was some seasons like Time Force which adapt a lot of the elements from Timeranger and have their own unique spin on them, but everytime I watched Samurai on TV I feel like I'd rather watch Shikenger. What they did with Super Megaforce was also atrocious.

Ashodin

I'm in this for some old school but mainly Zeo. Zeo is when I lost it and became a Power Ranger total nerd.

I had tons of the Zeo toys, they were sleek as fuck

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Eh I stopped caring about Power Rangers when Saban thought it was a good idea to basically make them the same as their sentai versions plot-wise but much much worse. I mean sure there was some seasons like Time Force which adapt a lot of the elements from Timeranger and have their own unique spin on them, but everytime I watched Samurai on TV I feel like I'd rather watch Shikenger. What they did with Super Megaforce was also atrocious.

It goes much farther than most like to think. Even at its most original PR would sometimes randomly adapt characters, arcs and even entire episodes word for word. With various results. Biggest copying started with Lost Galaxy, hilariously enough, it wasn't that they just suddenly decided to just reshoot Shinkenger, abridged.

Boss Doggie

Samurai is like Diet Shinkenger, with all the meat and substance taken off.

Also I wonder if this Twitch thing will be a good gateway for other tokusatsu or is it just the usual nostalgia bandwagoning/circlejerk. Better tell them that this is currently in Japan right now and it's so fucking good.

xEQ5Ykm.jpg

BatDan

It goes much farther than most like to think. Even at its most original PR would sometimes randomly adapt characters, arcs and even entire episodes word for word. With various results. Biggest copying started with Lost Galaxy, hilariously enough, it wasn't that they just suddenly decided to just reshoot Shinkenger, abridged.

I was actually surprised at how similar Gingaman and Lost Galaxy were. Despite the different premises, the plot beats were identical.

Big One

Banned
I've admittedly never watched Gingaman so I can't comment on it, but I do know the themes of the two series are different in the very least. Megaforce and Super Megaforce removed the themes from their sentai in favour of...no theme at all.

Boss Doggie

I've admittedly never watched Gingaman so I can't comment on it, but I do know the themes of the two series are different in the very least. Megaforce and Super Megaforce removed the themes from their sentai in favour of...no theme at all.
Mega and Super Mega were really shitty, but I do wonder if Mega would have ended up being mediocre if it got a full show rather than half.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
So, is Power Range actually popular outside of the first couple of seasons? I never see people talk about the others.

WillyFive

So, is Power Range actually popular outside of the first couple of seasons? I never see people talk about the others.

Very few brands in existence today can compete with the popularity the show got in the early 90's, but the show is still running and still popular among kids today.

Sou Da

The blatant ignoring of the pirate theme was downright insulting.

Wiseblade

May check in up to In Space, then bail until Time, then call it quits.

Aren’t all the seasons on (US) Netflix anyway?
Yeah, but then you're missing out on the fun of the shared viewing experience. I was actually rewatching Time Force and stopped so I could watch the stream instead.

JC Lately

A good point.

So where the Gaf-chatroom going to be at? I shudder to think how fast and meme filled the twitch chat will get.

As an aside: Finally something has come up to break my BoTW addiction.

Penguin

Stupid question
Are we going to use this thread for discussion or will there be like a new thread on Tuesday

Also times

MMPR S1 20 hours 3/14 11 AM PT- 3/15 9 AM PT
MMPR S2 17 hours, 20 min 3/15 9 AM PT- 3/16 1:20 AM PT
MMPR S3 11 hours 3/16 1:20 AM PT- 3/16 12:20 PM PT
MMAR 3 hours, 20 min 3/16 12:20 PM PT - 3/16 4:40 PM PT
Zeo 16 hours, 40 min 3/16 4:40 PM PT- 3/17 9:20 AM PT
Turbo 15 hours 3/17 9:20 AM PT- 3/18 11:20 AM PT
In Space 14 hours, 20 min 3/18 11:20 AM PT- 3/18 1:40 PM PT
Lost Galaxy 15 hours 3/18 1:40 PM PT- 3/19 5:40 AM PT
Lightspeed Rescue 13 hours, 20 min 3/19 5:40 AM PT - 3/19 8:00 PM PT
Time Force 13 hours, 20 min 3/19 8:00 PM PT- 3/20 9:20 PM PT
Wild Force 13 hours, 20 min 3/20 9:20 PM PT- 3/21 10:40 PM PT
Ninja Storm 12 hours, 40 min 3/21 10:40 PM PT- 3/21 11:20 AM PT
Dino Thunder 12 hours, 40 min 3/21 11:20 AM EDT- 3/22 11:00 PM PT
SPD 12 hours, 40 min 3/22 11:00 PM PT- 3/22 12:40 PM PT
Mystic Force 10 hours, 40 min 3/22 12:40 PM PT- 3/23 11:20 PM PT
Operation Overdrive 10 hours, 40 min 3/23 11:20 PM PT- 3/23 10:00 AM PT
Jungle Fury 10 hours, 40 min 3/23 10:00 AM PT- 3/23 8:40 PM PT
RPM 10 hours, 40 min 3/23 8:40 PM PT- 3/24 7:20 AM PT
Samurai/Super Samurai 14 hours, 40 min 3/24 7:20 AM PT- 3/25 10:00 PM PT
Megaforce/Super Megaforce 14 hours 3/25 10:00 PM PT- 3/26 12:00 PM PT
Dino Charge/Dino Super Charge 14 hours, 40 min 3/26 12:00 PM PT- 3/27 1:40 AM PT

Boss Doggie

Man even RPM is shafted on streaming, truly there is no justice.

it's an enduring show, like Pokemon

and much like that, the nostalgic people are a good source for exploitation to fund the new ones

Delio

Man even RPM is shafted on streaming, truly there is no justice.

it's an enduring show, like Pokemon

and much like that, the nostalgic people are a good source for exploitation to fund the new ones

*looks at legacy toys* Pretty much yeah. Tho Ive been on the Sentai/Kamen Rider side of things for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom