• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch vs Speedrun Community Drama (update: Twitch officially responds)

Village

Swing and a miss. Try gathering all pertinent information before joining a conversation.

That is what I am trying to do.

Please continue with your condescending tone.

Also my response, even when I obtain all the information is still one of opinion.

But go on, with your condescension.Totally productive.

That is what I am trying to do.

Please continue with your condescending tone.

Also my response, even when I obtain all the information is still one of opinion.

But go on, with your condescension.Totally productive.

Really, all you had to do was read the thread. In any case, I've already edited my previous post with a link to more details. My apologies.

Alvarez

Banned
I asked my lawyer friend (in your defense, he is a patent lawyer, so this scenario is not his forte) about the legality of this situation.

- He says that it is unlikely that anyone would be able to legally action Twitch because of the clause in the user agreement (which I quoted a few pages back). He says that the very first obstacle to actioning Twitch would be to challenge the validity of that clause--an unlikely feat.

- He says that Twitch is not an employer. He says that what Twitch and its partners have is "more like a fee-sharing agreement" (which is completely supported here: http://www.twitch.tv/p/partners).

- He says that Twitch and sites like it have "broad powers" that enable them to defend themselves easily. He says that any challengers are "most likely out of luck", and then he points out that this is not his area of practice, so he can't say for sure.

So, unsurprisingly, it's not a good idea to rely on Twitch and consider it your source of employment. That said, I fully respect and support anyone who makes a successful income out of this kind of thing; we live in a very competitive and industrialized world and I think it's wonderful that young people are coming up with new, positive sources of income.

I'm enjoying reading all the slightly differing "facts" about what happened. People seem to be painting Horror in quite a terrible fashion...it's so weird to see people react to badly to him when I've chatted with him enough times over the years to know he's a pretty good guy :(

Not to say that I know who Horror is or isn't, people can act very differently in different situations and different groups.

Say A to group A and then say B to group B.

Venfayth

I'm enjoying reading all the slightly differing "facts" about what happened. People seem to be painting Horror in quite a terrible fashion...it's so weird to see people react to badly to him when I've chatted with him enough times over the years to know he's a pretty good guy :(

There are plenty of 'pretty good guys' out there who are not suited to be in outward customer facing roles.

I asked my lawyer friend (in your defense, he is a patent lawyer, so this scenario is not his forte) about the legality of this situation.

- He says that it is unlikely that anyone would be able to legally action Twitch because of the clause in the user agreement (which I quoted a few pages back). He says that the very first obstacle to actioning Twitch would be to challenge the validity of that clause--an unlikely feat.

- He says that Twitch is not an employer. He says that what Twitch and its partners have is "more like a fee-sharing agreement" (which is completely supported here: http://www.twitch.tv/p/partners).

- He says that Twitch and sites like it have "broad powers" that enable them to defend themselves easily. He says that any challengers are "most likely out of luck", and then he points out that this is not his area of practice, so he can't say for sure.

So, unsurprisingly, it's not a good idea to rely on Twitch and consider it your source of employment. That said, I fully respect and support anyone who makes a successful income out of this kind of thing; we live in a very competitive and industrialized world and I think it's wonderful that young people are coming up with new, positive sources of income.

No one has said it's illegal jesus christ.

Is legality the sole definier of good policy?

Village

Really, all you had to do was read the thread. In any case, I've already edited my previous post with a link to more details.

Your link is the reason why I wish to get more information. This seems very much anti horror, is there pro horror information?

These types of situations, when gathering information, benefit you the most when you have info from both sides to put their own spin on it.

AppleMIX

Nice guy or not, it doesn't justify his actions.

Your link is the reason why I wish to get more information. This seems very much anti horror, is there pro horror information?

These types of situations, when gathering information, benefit you the most when you have info from both sides to put their own spin on it.

Twitch's reaction to this getting posted on reddit wasn't to put out their own version of events, or an attempt to clarify. It was this http://i.imgur.com/t5RiV3Y.png

Alvarez

Banned

He's a gay furry. Whether people want to admit it or not, many of them do have a bias against him, conscious or not. This thing would not be getting so much attention if it had been a straight guy making sexually suggestive emoticons of women.

Stay the assault. I know that every single person in this thread has no bias towards gays or furries whatsoever.

enough with this "both sides" bullshit, it's a plague on off-topic threads and its unneeded here

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Horror sounds... *wait for it* Horrible from how he's acting. Jason as well. This is certainly not how you run your service that is tied to two major console services in a partnership to bring more users to you.

I wonder how fast this will spread and how many people will care to not use Twitch and flood Ustream or something for their console streaming.

Chavelo

Wait, why are people so quick to post: "wow. everyone is acting so dumb. both parties in the wrong. case closed."

Even if the customer is wrong, as a business, you shouldn't stoop down to their level and act immature. That shouldn't give you a free pass from people that are not in the know of the events that happened.

Do we seriously just dismiss the bigger issue at hand by taking the easy way out instead of having an actual conversation of what's happening inside Twitch's offices?

Valnen

This is a small dent in twitch's business. If this issue involved LOL that would be different.

This won't affect just the speed running community if they act like this consistently in the future. That is why it is a cause for concern. This sets a precedent for future moderation.

He's a gay furry. Whether people want to admit it or not, many of them do have a bias against him, conscious or not. This thing would not be getting so much attention if it had been a straight guy making sexually suggestive emoticons of women.

Stay the assault. I know that every single person in this thread has no bias towards gays or furries whatsoever.

You're amazing. Time and again you attempt to turn this into something it's not. It was a reaction to nepotism against someone who had been shitty in the past on the subject of e-motes. The furry part has definitely spurred the tone of insults against him by those that are solely interested in flinging shit after the matter, but if this had been someone making an e-mote of their girlfriend, people would have still been pissed at Horror.

Wait, why are people so quick to post: "wow. everyone is acting so dumb. both parties in the wrong. case closed."

Even if the customer is wrong, as a business, you should stoop down to their level and act immature. That shouldn't give you a free pass from people that are not in the know of the events that happened.

Do we seriously just dismiss the bigger issue at hand by taking the easy way out instead of having an actual conversation of what's happening inside Twitch's office?

reddit isn't the only place where people kiss up to corporations, you know

Velcro Fly

Only what he does in his personal life had literally no bearing on why people want him gone. Otherwise it would be a prevalent thing all the time.

Cronox

Banned

What are you doing...

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

Even if the customer is wrong, as a business, you should stoop down to their level and act immature. That shouldn't give you a free pass from people that are not in the know of the events that happened.

Do we seriously just dismiss the bigger issue at hand by taking the easy way out instead of having an actual conversation of what's happening inside Twitch's offices?
It makes people feel good.

meijiko

The initial response to Horror had nothing to do with him being gay, or a furry. It was his blatant cronyism in adding a non-gaming-related global emote for his then boyfriend while actively removing emoticons of other people without doing any research as to whether or not they're actually infringement. The comment Duke made wasn't an insult for being a gay furry. It was pointing out the fact that he granted an emote to his boyfriend.

Of course Horror received a large amount of backlash, some of it homophobic and hateful, but that type of response could have been seen a mile away, considering the nature of the internet. None of the speedrunners I follow have actively participated in hate speech, yet some were unjustly banned for speaking out in protest of Duke's ban and Horror's actions. That is why the community is upset.

Same reason why people went "wow. everyone is acting so dumb. both parties are incompetent. US is doomed." during the government shutdown and blamed both parties rather than the Republicans for starting it. In any case the fact that the people in Twitch's office are immature and unprofessional should come as a surprise to no one, it's just unfortunate that there isn't any stronger competitor out there. No matter how badly Twitch treats its users it's still preferable to crappy ustream.

Ominym

Banned
For the very lucky and established place Twitch is in, I really would've expected some common decency when it comes to their user base-- their lifeblood.

But then again? This is the internet, I suppose.

antitrop

In any case the fact that the people in Twitch's office are immature and unprofessional should come as a surprise to no one, it's just unfortunate that there isn't any stronger competitor out there. No matter how badly Twitch treats its users it's still preferable to crappy ustream.

Not to mention the horror stories coming out of Own3d not paying their streamers, long before they even shut down.

It must be baby land frolic over at Twitch HQ, it's kind of amazing to see a company that could very well turn into a billion dollar enterprise be so fucking blind to their own potential that they respond to childish behavior on the internet by doubling down on stupid.

What a ridiculous way to run business.

Same reason why people went "wow. everyone is acting so dumb. both parties are incompetent. US is doomed." during the government shutdown and blamed both parties rather than the Republicans for starting it. In any case the fact that the people in Twitch's office are immature and unprofessional should come as a surprise to no one, it's just unfortunate that there isn't any stronger competitor out there. No matter how badly Twitch treats its users it's still preferable to crappy ustream.

ding ding ding, we have a winner
doesn't matter what the topic of discussion is, people would rather point fingers everywhere and pretend to be "above" everyone else

I thought it was pretty clear that I was talking about getting all of the facts about a situation.

and that's not what I was talking about

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
ding ding ding, we have a winner
doesn't matter what the topic of discussion is, people would rather point fingers everywhere and pretend to be "above" everyone else

Or maybe it really is just both sides being kinda dumb here.

Maybe.

You very clearly just tore down a fellow member for wanting all of the facts.

doesn't sound like just wanting more information, wanting "pro-horror information" instead

jabuseika

...and I wondered how a channel with 100 followers got a global emote...

Some of the material out there with the character in that emote, is disturbing at least, definitely not an emote suitable for a website like Twitch.

Only Horror has the power approve emotes? Well, that's a slight oversight isn't it.

All I know, some of my favorite speed runners got banned or are refusing to stream, and it's just typical of Twitch to do nothing and try to sweep more admin abuse under the rug.

What a mess.

meijiko

...and I wondered how a channel with 100 followers got a global emote...

Some of the material out there with the character in that emote, is disturbing at least...

Only Horror has the power approve emotes? Well, that's a slight oversight isn't it.

All I know, some of my favorite speed runners got banned or are refusing to stream, and it's just typical of Twitch to do nothing and try to sweep more admin abuse under the rug.

What a mess.

I believe more than one person can approve emotes (at least sub-emotes), but Horror gets the final say on whether or not they get to stay.

Dr. Hoofington

Neo Member
While I have no idea what his actual position is, Peaches works for Riot (League of Legends). What a weird little wrinkle in all this, considering LoL and Twitch's symbiosis right now.

I think the timing may have to do with simply submitting a ticket, lol. p_ should get on that.

While I have no idea what his actual position is, Peaches works for Riot (League of Legends). What a weird little wrinkle in all this, considering LoL and Twitch's symbiosis right now.

ohhhh wonder how Twitch responds to an employee of their cash cow getting banned

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Is Twitch run by a bunch of children? I'd always assumed they were a professional internet startup type, guess I was wrong. If I had any sort of business relationship with them I'd be on the phone telling them to get their shit together before this spreads any further. What an embarrassment.

Dr. Hoofington

Neo Member
Here's a message from a Twitch admin to Abahbob who inquired about the bans:

BZkfyRcCMAAgsbk.png:large

Top Bottom