• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter being rebranded to “X”, bird logo going away

k_trout

looks like X windows system logo
iG2HDb7.png

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Certainly not the guy caving to every authoritarian country’s censorship demands, and excusing it by saying “well it’s either do what they say or they shut us down.”
WHO THEN? People keep avoiding the question to talk about india and turkey, which have nothing to do with the question I'm asking.

"Which social media company is doing the best job of protecting US citizens from government influenced censorship of legal speech? If it's not currently twitter, which company is it?"

Does there have to be one? None of them are. Protecting free speech is not a core tenet of any of their business models. Wishing they are something they aren't is missing the point.
Logically speaking, yes.

Let's say there are two people who steal wallets for a living. The first person punches his victims in the face, knocks them down, and then steals their wallet. The second person shoots their victims in the head, and then steals their wallet.

The proper response to the question of "which one is the least violent?" isn't "none of them are, being non violent isn't a core tenet of their business models, wishing they are something they aren't is missing the point." You should be able to make the argument that regarding US citizens being protected from government influenced censorship, some social media company is better than others in that area, or they're all exactly the same.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
WHO THEN? People keep avoiding the question to talk about india and turkey, which have nothing to do with the question I'm asking.
Well, it shows he’s not prone to standing up to government censors, which seems highly relevant.
"Which social media company is doing the best job of protecting US citizens from government influenced censorship of legal speech? If it's not currently twitter, which company is it?"
I guess I simply reject the premise that US citizens need much protection from government censorship of protected speech. The Twitter files were pretty much a total nothingburger in that regard. Now, that didn’t stop Musk from holding himself up as the messiah you desire by releasing them, but like a lot of what comes out of his mouth, it was total BS

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Logically speaking, yes.

Let's say there are two people who steal wallets for a living. The first person punches his victims in the face, knocks them down, and then steals their wallet. The second person shoots their victims in the head, and then steals their wallet.

The proper response to the question of "which one is the least violent?" isn't "none of them are, being non violent isn't a core tenet of their business models, wishing they are something they aren't is missing the point." You should be able to make the argument that regarding US citizens being protected from government censorship, some social media company is better than others in that area, or they're all exactly the same.

Nope, bad analogy. There is no logical point in ranking them like that because there is not standard quantifiable measurement we can use to put them on some kind of "free speech spectrum". Most or all of these companies are shitty at protecting free speech in their own different ways and have or will acquiesce to both domestic and foreign governments either in the past or in the future. In other words, none of them measure up to a minimum acceptable level of protection because at their core they really couldn't give two shits about free speech insofar as paying lip service to it will make them money. Therefore, trying to hold any of them up as the last bastion of free expression on the internet free of government influence is pointless.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I opened Twitter a couple of minutes ago and yep, the blue bird has now been replaced by an X above the menu column.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
By this specific phrasing, all of them. It would be illegal for this to occur. That's exactly what free speech entails.

It's not the government requesting milquetoast content, it's the advertisers.

Last edited:

Madonis

Twitter has been dying slowly and from a thousand cuts. Few of these decisions would ever be fatal in isolation, but the accumulation of annoyances is leading people to gradually go elsewhere. The thing is, there's multiple alternatives and none of them are quite where they need to be, at least not yet, so pure inertia will necessarily keep a ton of folks on Twitter (even myself, sadly). Well, until Elon Musk has finished making the platform utterly unrecognizable even in terms of basic functionality.

Rebranding everything to "X" sure seems like an excellent way to speed up the process a little bit, so I can only congratulate the man for his ambition. Just not exactly in the way he expects.

Last edited:
Isn't this the kind of an annoucement a CEO is supposed to make? Instead of having to come up with some word salad to explain whatever brainfart not-CEO Musk produced?

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
By this specific phrasing, all of them. It would be illegal for this to occur. That's exactly what free speech entails.

It's not the government requesting milquetoast content, it's the advertisers.
And yet it's exactly what happened.

It wasn't advertisers who wanted to censor doctors who were opposed to lockdowns, talked about natural immunity, or simply disagreed with government response to covid. It wasn't advertisers who pressured social media to remove true but inconvenient statements from social media, and even made up the word "malinformation" to describe it. It wasn't advertisers who claimed US citizens were Russian bots, even when internal documentation showed twitter was fully aware that wasn't true and said nothing. It wasn't advertisers who went to social media companies, told them to be on the lookout for anything that could be Russian disinformation, and to make sure it's removed from their platforms, which ultimately resulted in censoring journalists and their reporting. It wasn't advertisers who threatened private social media companies with the removal of legal protections if they didn't censor more.

All of these things happened, and they happened because of the government, not advertisers. You're absolutely right that advertisers can and do lead to censorship, but there's more going on here than advertisers. If all social media companies were pushing back against this sort of thing equally, that would be different. Seeing as that's not the case, even for his many flaws, stupid actions, and hypocrisy, Musk is still the only one running a social media company who is talking about these things and strongly disagreeing with them.

Last edited:

Madonis

Musk is still the only one running a social media company who is talking about these things and strongly disagreeing with them.

The man might call himself a free speech absolutist, but he clearly isn't. Frankly, almost nobody is. The fact he's shown himself as willing to accept other kinds of pressure isn't exactly an improvement.

Then again, I don't think absolute free speech without restrictions of any kind, period, is automatically an inherent good. Cemeteries are full of people who listened to "skeptics" and paid the price for fucking around.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
And yet it's exactly what happened.

It wasn't advertisers who wanted to censor doctors who were opposed to lockdowns, talked about natural immunity, or simply disagreed with government response to covid. It wasn't advertisers who pressured social media to remove true but inconvenient statements from social media, and even made up the word "malinformation" to describe it. It wasn't advertisers who claimed US citizens were Russian bots, even when internal documentation showed twitter was fully aware that wasn't true and said nothing. It wasn't advertisers who went to social media companies, told them to be on the lookout for anything that could be Russian disinformation, and to make sure it's removed from their platforms, which ultimately resulted in censoring journalists and their reporting. It wasn't advertisers who threatened private social media companies with the removal of legal protections if they didn't censor more.

All of these things happened, and they happened because of the government, not advertisers. You're absolutely right that advertisers can and do lead to censorship, but there's more going on here than advertisers. If all social media companies were pushing back against this sort of thing equally, that would be different. Seeing as that's not the case, even for his many flaws, stupid actions, and hypocrisy, Musk is still the only one running a social media company who is talking about these things and strongly disagreeing with them.
Source?

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
I actually read the twitter files, instead of reading the mainstream media reporting about the twitter files. I also listen to journalists who consistently challenge and criticize the institutions that hold power rather than supporting them and working with them based on whoever is in office at a given time.

And speaking of the twitter files, Musk lost all my respect when he ended that work and cut ties with the journalist responsible for most of the reporting, who is a journalist I've been following for years now.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I actually read the twitter files, instead of reading the mainstream media reporting about the twitter files. I also listen to journalists who consistently challenge and criticize the institutions that hold power rather than supporting them and working with them based on whoever is in office at a given time.

And speaking of the twitter files, Musk lost all my respect when he ended that work and cut ties with the journalist responsible for most of the reporting, who is a journalist I've been following for years now.
I don’t have a twitter account. Where can I read?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I don't really care what the platform is called, only care about functionality. A name and a logo for branding is really only meaningful before you gain a footing. Once you already have a userbase it doesn't really mean much. People freaked out over Meta too and got over it two days later.

The actual meaningful changes they made like the checkmark system which was and still is idiotic are ones actually worth being upset over. That said, Twitter is dying to make money and it looks like they're turning over every leaf to do that. Even the illogical ones. Because it appears they aren't going to get more advertisers unless they start banning users for stating factual realities again, and I give Elon credit for that. Despite pressure from advertisers and the platform losing money he didn't change his ToS model to appease the elites.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
But... why?
Maybe to prove to the world that he shouldn't have been ousted from his old CEO gig at X/Paypal, where he had an ambitious plan for X to take over the legacy financial world. You would do payments, checking, savings, stock trading, and insurance through one app. He's talking similarly now about Twitter being a do everything convergence app.

nicoGec

This dumb idiot could have stayed away from Twitter and be remembered like the “genius” from Tesla.

Now he will be remembered as the prime example of how fucking stupid a billionaire can be.

He’s like real life Ted Faro in terms of idiocy.

Fuz

Banned
Maybe to prove to the world that he shouldn't have been ousted from his old CEO gig at X/Paypal, where he had an ambitious plan for X to take over the legacy financial world. You would do payments, checking, savings, stock trading, and insurance through one app. He's talking similarly now about Twitter being a do everything convergence app.
Nightmare fuel.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Have to admit though it's kinda funny that after revamping the checkmark system, getting rid of 2FA, not allowing non TwitterBlue users to DM certain users anymore, this tiny thing is what has the tech world up in arms:

x.jpg

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Copying others again, this time WeChat wich is China's Amazon, Twitter, Facebook, Uber and more in one app.

Gp1

To put things into perspective of how dumb this is, Imagine if Johnson & Johnson's CEO rebrands the band-aid as "H".

Top Bottom