• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter being rebranded to “X”, bird logo going away

BlackTron

Gold Member
People being legitimately angry and upset that Twitter is now X and a Tweet is now a Post as if this change impacts them or their lives in any way whatsoever is hilarious to me.

"Noooo, the app icon is now an X instead of a blue bird, this is the worst noooo" dude do you know how ridiculous you sound? Take a step back and reevaluate your emotional investment in this application.

I completely agree

Unless SEGA

Eotheod

"Boy I can't wait for Twitter to die so I can go be censored by The Zuck instead"
"Look all the brand damage he is doing, BILLIONS in brand damage"

That's a...uh...interesting graph if I do so say myself. Almost as bad as the Polygon pie chart in logical data presentation.

Why is the x point going from right to left? I'd also like to know why, if it is going up in a traditional x, y axis graph, the point of data would instead show users dropping?

How can it be so hard for people to just present good data?

That's a...uh...interesting graph if I do so say myself. Almost as bad as the Polygon pie chart in logical data presentation.

Why is the x point going from right to left? I'd also like to know why, if it is going up in a traditional x, y axis graph, the point of data would instead show users dropping?

How can it be so hard for people to just present good data?

We all know why

You have to click the link and see the full picture, or it doesn't make any sense. The same thing happened to me.

The full picture would include the X axis you silly goose
Oh, you mean the timeline. That is a good point, then. It's impossible to tell if that's from five years of data, or five minutes. Either way, if it is an all time high, it's still worth bragging about.

Even if a great deal of it is bots.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
It would be fun if we could go to back to the week after Elon takeover and tell people that by August 2023

- Twitter name and bird have disappeared
- 90% of staff would have been laid of
- The platform still ran and didn’t crash
- The platform hit highest user numbers ever
- Trump and Ye were back

It would be fun if we could go to back to the week after Elon takeover and tell people that by August 2023

- Trump and Ye were back
I just thought of something when it comes to your last point. "I said I wouldn't go back to twitter, but now it's X."

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

I just thought of something when it comes to your last point. "I said I wouldn't go back to twitter, but now it's X."
Donald Trump GIF by NowThis

Toons

Elon haters keep malding day and night

Tweet is removing context.

Was the car already stolen? Did the car owner decline to press charges? Do they have conclusive evidence the guys they caught all did it?

Charges get dropped for a lot of reasons, doesn't mean what they did was "legal".

Also, hes missing an "allegedly". The men are innocent until proven guilty in court of course.

Also, what is even his point? Should they not investigate a sign that may be too bright? His video is marking the X as illegal but the city hasn't decided on that yet, they just launched an investigation.

Guy can't even hide his bias lol

Last edited:

YCoCg

Gold Member
What I don't get about the sign is the position, why not at least put it on the corner at a 45 degree angle so it's literally not blasting into the apartment windows?

Tweet is removing context.

Was the car already stolen? Did the car owner decline to press charges? Do they have conclusive evidence the guys they caught all did it?

Charges get dropped for a lot of reasons, doesn't mean what they did was "legal".

Also, hes missing an "allegedly". The men are innocent until proven guilty in court of course.

Also, what is even his point? Should they not investigate a sign that may be too bright? His video is marking the X as illegal but the city hasn't decided on that yet, they just launched an investigation.

Guy can't even hide his bias lol

The whole story is even more fishy than you think. He wasn't hiding any bias here, the circumstances around this are insane.

- Trump and Ye were back
The best part of this is Trump and Ye are back and not only did the world not end as the media promised, neither are even posting to their accounts LMAO

Last edited:

Toons

The whole story is even more fishy than you think. He wasn't hiding any bias here, the circumstances around this are insane.

Again, he is being misleading tho.

Hes painting the one situation as "legal" and the other as "illegal".

The criminals were still arrested and no one said what they did was legal. Getting charges dropped doesn't mean you did something legal.

Getting your garbo bright eyes logo investigated for potentially causing a hazard to drivers, a nuisanc to residents and more doesn't make something illegal.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Reading the reports about Twitter having issues attracting advertisers. Probably going to struggle to do that when you have your product being trashed on the ads via community notes :messenger_tears_of_joy:

NKKUktc.jpg
The ads i used to get on twitter are hilarious. One mobile game has a Readers Context added to show that the footage shown is not in the game. Another ad is about how no other platform would show that conservative ad. So many bizarre products ive never even heard of. very low engagements on those tweets too.

that said, today and last night something changed. im now finally getting ads from apple, samsung, nintendo, hulu and other big brands. but for the last few months it was the most weird obscure ads ever. Im guessing he finally gave in and the big companies have gone back to advertising on twitter.

Again, he is being misleading tho.

Hes painting the one situation as "legal" and the other as "illegal".

The criminals were still arrested and no one said what they did was legal. Getting charges dropped doesn't mean you did something legal.

Getting your garbo bright eyes logo investigated for potentially causing a hazard to drivers, a nuisanc to residents and more doesn't make something illegal.
No one thinks that stealing a car and driving it off a cliff is "legal." It's just when your city repeatedly refuses to prosecute any crime unless someone ends up dead as a result, then those crimes might as well be legal. We all understand this context. Entire cities refusing to prosecute crime is being talked about everywhere right now. There's noting misleading about it.

that said, today and last night something changed. im now finally getting ads from apple, samsung, nintendo, hulu and other big brands. but for the last few months it was the most weird obscure ads ever. Im guessing he finally gave in and the big companies have gone back to advertising on twitter.
That's interesting to hear. How do you think he "gave in?" What demands were being asked that he refused to meet? I'm not aware of anything that would have changed, but maybe his new CEO and her skills working with advertisers is paying off.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The ads i used to get on twitter are hilarious. One mobile game has a Readers Context added to show that the footage shown is not in the game. Another ad is about how no other platform would show that conservative ad. So many bizarre products ive never even heard of. very low engagements on those tweets too.

Yeah I used to get ads from weird companies now I get Amazon and all the big corporations.

Imagine being a tiny company celebrating getting ads on one a major platform and like a week later community notes: "Don't take this product or you'll probably die."

And I actually think community notes is the one amazing thing they've added since Elon took over, but when you have them attached to ads it's counterproductive.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
"Look all the brand damage he is doing, BILLIONS in brand damage"

Yeah I think half your advertisers leaving means the brand has been severely damaged lol

And Musk himself has admitted the value of Twitter isn't even half what he paid for it now.

edit: And considering a few weeks back he forced users to log-in for basic things like viewing a thread, that probably explains why "users" usage went up. Which is kind of the entire point of moves like that.

Last edited:

Melon Husk

Life hack: if you see "motivational" style promoted tweets, click them and you'll only get served inspirational quotes as "ads".

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I think you're misunderstanding the issue here. They don't care about Twitter or X or anything like that. Their fundamental issue is they hate Elon Musk for some reason or another and are looking for ways to justify and spread their hatred. It was never about Twitter from the beginning.
I actually like Elon Musk but to be fair some of the anger is justified. Elon Musk has made some really stupid decisions regarding Twitter or X or whatever you want to call it. I do think the anger is a little stretched but nonetheless there are legitimate grievances.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

I knew all the big companies would be back to advertising. Twitter is way too big to ignore.

I actually like Elon Musk but to be fair some of the anger is justified. Elon Musk has made some really stupid decisions regarding Twitter or X or whatever you want to call it. I do think the anger is a little stretched but nonetheless there are legitimate grievances.
The problem with him is he has no filter. Probably has to do with that Aspergers Syndrome he has. But also he's got the personality of someone who doesn't back down from a fight. 99% of leaders play the quiet game and dont even post on social media or anything unless its quarterly earnings time. After thats done you dont see or hear from them for another 3 months. The ceo of my company is exactly like that. even for our internal home page of random news, only time you see his face is earnings report time or something political like MLK Day or it's holidays time so everyone have a good Christmas holiday.

Musk will go toe to toe with employees on social media. You call him out, and he'll do the same thing right back at you later in the day.

Last edited:

Toons

No one thinks that stealing a car and driving it off a cliff is "legal." It's just when your city repeatedly refuses to prosecute any crime unless someone ends up dead as a result, then those crimes might as well be legal. We all understand this context. Entire cities refusing to prosecute crime is being talked about everywhere right now. There's noting misleading about it.

Yes, the meme painting crashing a car as legal is misleading, because no, crashing a car still isn't legal.

Its also misleading because its painting a sign being investigated as illegal, which isn't the case.

No need to carry water so something so blatantly facetious here. Let's call a spade a spade, he made a misleading post to try and generate incendiary reactions from Elon stans, when nothing unjust is happening to Elon at all.

It sounds like it was less the government and more ideologues within the high ranks at Twitter.

Interestingly enough, Twitter pushed back on the censorship for a while. Whatever their legal team said in court was not what they were admitting to behind the scenes. When people finally understood what was going on, even many people who for years thought that twitter was just being ideological had to admit it was government pressure and the lies that the government told twitter that was the real issue.

Just to add to the point I was making the other day, according to newly released internal e-mails, pretty much the exact same thing happened over at facebook. Their staff internally questioned what they were censoring and why, admitting to censoring and demoting posts that had not broken any company policy, and later said that they regretted censoring as much as they did, all because of government pressure. Even memes were not spared. Here's a good discussion of the situation:

He caved to bathroom, I mean SF.

That sign had to come down. Flashing like that can give some people seizures. I get the feeling he just does things like this because he wants people to keep talking about him and his website. That's either really pathetically lame and needy, or a really clever way to get constant free publicity, depending on your perspective.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Zero new info. Just Thunderfoot taking a 30 min victory lap after arguing with Musk fanboys for the last decade.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
San Fran taking down an X from atop of a bulding: priority.

Cleaning up the streets of feces, drug addicts, and homeless: we'll get to it when we get to it, and sometimes even encourage it!
That's because it's easier to get normal people to comply with laws and general common sense. Tidying up all the piles of turds and drugged up deadbeats on the streets is never endling and the chances of any of them listening is zero. They have nothing to lose if the city cracks down on them so there's not much point in the city enforcing. A business or common guy with a house and job have a lot more to lose. So government might as well focus resources on people who will comply.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
That's because it's easier to get normal people to comply with laws and general common sense. Tidying up all the piles of turds and drugged up deadbeats on the streets is never endling and the chances of any of them listening is zero. They have nothing to lose if the city cracks down on them so there's not much point in the city enforcing. A business or common guy with a house and job have a lot more to lose. So government might as well focus resources on people who will comply.
I know, I was being partly facetious. The point was to dunk on San Fran for not being able to ever clean up any of their problems(or in some cases likely not caring to do so to begin with).

The amount of videos he's made on elon is what I find funny. It's worst then Norm McDonald ripping on OJ.
If I hated feminists and Elon Musk and religion so much that I wanted to watch 30 minute videos bitching about them, his would be the channel I'd watch. That said, even when I agree with someone on a topic like that, I'd much rather watch a channel that will have an actual discussion among people who don't always agree.

And victory lap? Granted the rebranding is crap, but what is there to claim victory about? Threads active users have gone way down, twitter usage is at their highest levels yet, apparently it's been noticed that advertisers have come back in a big way. I mean, I guess he also lost his stupid X sign. Victory lap?

On a side note, speaking of Norm, if you've never seen it:

bender

What time is it?
The amount of videos he's made on elon is what I find funny. It's worst then Norm McDonald ripping on OJ.

The Musk tree always bears fruit ripe for debunking. At least the Twitter acquisition in making most people realize that Musk is a charlatan.

Toons

San Fran taking down an X from atop of a bulding: priority.

Cleaning up the streets of feces, drug addicts, and homeless: we'll get to it when we get to it, and sometimes even encourage it!

Right, crime is so easy to fix! Just "clean up" human beings who don't have houses, whatever that means.

This is on the level of saying "if we make it illegal to not wear seat belts everyone will wear them!!"

That logo was probably taken down by Musk himself in compliance. It'll be back up with a less obtrusive glow im sure. Hell be fine.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
He got one global news cycle on taking down the old signs (blocking street), one on the new sign (blinding people), one on the city reacting (Bad Elon!) and one for removing the sign.

For news cycles for X, on a matter that has absolutely no significance globally. I’m not sure who is the tool here. Dude is a master troll.

Last edited:
He got one global news cycle on taking down the old signs (blocking street), one on the new sign (blinding people), one on the city reacting (Bad Elon!) and one for removing the sign.

For news cycles for X, on a matter that has absolutely no significance globally. I’m not sure who is the tool here. Dude is a master troll.
The media eat it up, Elon has them wrapped around his finger. They report and scream about every little thing he does 24/7 like there is literally nothing else important in the world happening.

Last edited:
Top Bottom