• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two new studies on brain differences (god forbid) between sexes

llien

WOMEN'S brains are 3.8 younger than the minds of men at the same age, according to a controversial new study.
"It's not that men's brains age faster," said scientist Dr Manu Goyal from the Washington University School of Medicine.
"They start adulthood about three years older than women, and that persists throughout life.
"I think this could mean that the reason women don't experience as much cognitive decline in later years is because their brains are effectively younger, and we're currently working on a study to confirm that."
Dr Goyal's team conducted brain scans on 121 women and 84 men.

The scientists then flipped the analysis around. They trained the algorithm to predict women’s ages from data garnered from their brain scans. This time, when they fed metabolism data from the men into the computer, it estimated them to be 2.4 years older than they were. The way male brains burned sugar made them seem older than female ones of the same age.

What they have actually measured:
How oxygen and glucose flowed through brains at different ages.
Our bodies use the pair of chemicals to sustain brain development as we grow from children to adults via a process known as aerobic glycolysis.
As adulthood progresses, less and less glucose is pumped through people's brains, and by the time we're 60, only a tiny amount makes its way through our minds.
The team trained an AI algorithm to guess people's ages based on the amount of oxygen and glucose flowing through their brain.
They then fed it the brain scans of their 205 volunteers.
The algorithm guessed that the female brains were aged around 3.8 years younger than their actual, chronological age.
PNAS

‘Brain differences begin in the womb’

NINTCHDBPICT000478384691.jpg

Scans were taken of 118 foetuses in the second half of pregnancy.
One of the big differences was in connections between distant parts of the brain.
Girl produced more "long-range" neuron networks as they matured in the womb.
While it's impossible to know how this changes the way women think, differences in boys' brains were easier to decode.
Their connections were found to be more changeable than girls'. This may explain why men are more "vulnerable" than women, according to Professor Thomason.
"Males are more susceptible to environmental influences than female babies," she said.
"If that’s true that could partially account for the fact the male is more vulnerable, and programmable."

times (paywalled)

Last edited:

HarryKS

Vulnerable is the first thing that comes through. Odd choice when it also means that you're more 'adaptable'.

llien

Vulnerable is the first thing that comes through. Odd choice when it also means that you're more 'adaptable'.
Uproar would have been much stronger, had they used that word instead. They already feel the heat:

"But Professor Gina Rippon, author of The Gendered Brain, said that ‘in pursuit of a hunt-the-difference agenda’ the authors ‘drew unfounded conclusions’. "
As, well, in her book she states exactly the opposite.
And she's an expert from BBC2 "no mor girls and boys" series.
Chuckle.

PS
"“Hang on a minute!” chuckles Rippon, who has been interested in the human brain since childhood, “the science has moved on. We’re in the 21st century now!” Her measured delivery is at odds with the image created by her detractors, who decry her as a “neuronazi” and a “grumpy old harridan” with an “equality fetish”.
Guardian

Last edited:
I studied gender as part of my studies last week, two notable differences between the brains:

- Male foetal brains are larger, but females have more developed connective tissue between the hemispheres.
- Newborn male brains have larger volumes of grey and white cortical matter than female brains.

McCheese

205 is a tiny data-set for any AI training, you would only need a handful of extreme outliers to throw all the predictions way off.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I appreciate science doing these studies but you know what this data tells 9 times out of 10 shows some argument for or against a specific gender.

The fuck. I would imagine it to be the other way around. I'm gonna stick to what I think. Repeat the study because it's undercooked, maybe your fucken AI is undercooked too.

petran79

Banned
I studied gender as part of my studies last week, two notable differences between the brains:

- Male foetal brains are larger, but females have more developed connective tissue between the hemispheres.
- Newborn male brains have larger volumes of grey and white cortical matter than female brains.

I learned from a dietologist that men and women's bodies require different type of nutrition, so it is only natural that the brain would be affected too to a degree

hivsteak

Lol when your machine learning algorithm produces skewed results you don’t present that as a fact. It means you are missing data or your data needs to be categorized/broken down further.

Last edited:
Top Bottom