• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Sports Supplements Contain Meth-like Chemicals

Status
Not open for further replies.

WedgeX

Banned
Be careful with those supplements not actually evaluated by the FDA.

A popular and controversial sports supplement widely sold in the USA and other countries is secretly spiked with a chemical similar to methamphetamine that appears to have its origins as an illicit designer recreational drug, according to new tests by scientists in the USA and South Korea.

The test results on samples of Craze, a pre-workout powder made by New York-based Driven Sports and marketed as containing only natural ingredients, raise significant health and regulatory concerns, the researchers said.

The U.S. researchers also said they found the same methamphetamine-like chemical in another supplement, Detonate, which is sold as an all-natural weight loss pill by another company: Gaspari Nutrition.

Because of the government shutdown, officials with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, which oversees dietary supplements, could not be reached for comment. Calls to the Drug Enforcement Administration also weren't returned.

Cohen said researchers informed the FDA in May about finding the new chemical compound in Craze. The team found the compound — N,alpha-diethylphenylethylamine — has a structure similar to methamphetamine, a powerful, highly addictive, illegal stimulant drug. They believe the new compound is likely less potent than methamphetamine but greater than ephedrine.

"There are suggestions about how it's tweaked that it should not be as addictive as meth," Cohen said. But because it hasn't been studied, he said, its dangers aren't known. The team said it began testing Craze in response to several failed urine drug tests by athletes who said they had taken Craze.

Craze's label does not disclose the compound found by the researchers. Instead it says the product contains dendrobium orchid extract that was concentrated for different phenylethylamine compounds. Phenylethylamines include a variety of chemicals "that range from benign compounds found in chocolate to synthetically produced illicit drugs," according to the U.S. researchers.

The U.S. researchers noted that an "extensive" search of scientific literature does not find any evidence that the compound listed on Craze's label has ever been documented as a component of dendrobium orchid extract. The U.S. research team included Cohen; John Travis, a scientist at NSF International, a Michigan-based testing and standards organization that has a dietary supplement certification program; and Bastiaan Venhuis of the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment in the Netherlands.

USA Today has a whole series of articles about the supplements and the company that produces them.

NYR

Meth leads to weight loss, weight loss leads to results which equals a successful product.

Genius.

Tight tight tight, yeah!

70BHES8.gif

Diablos

That's pretty awful if you are taking a supplement not knowing you are putting a weaker form of meth into your system. Also disingenuous to someone drug testing for a job or sports team, etc.

This works as a good advertisement I`m trying to track those down now.

Edit "Wow they`re both sold out at all the sites I go to"

Jag

That's pretty awful if you are taking a supplement not knowing you are putting a weaker form of meth into your system. Also disingenuous to someone drug testing for a job or sports team, etc.

If the story is true, it is also a crime.

Ronabo

I'd imagine someone with the user name RedBullEnergy to take something like this frequently.

He probably pisses gasoline too.

Veezy

que?
I'ma be real.

Craze will get you hyped for a work out. Your skin will itch, your blood vessels in your eyes will look insane, and every lift will feel like you are destroying the iron.

You also should probably not take it, like, 10 hours before you plan on sleeping. Your semen will also shoot further, so watch out when you masturbate. Self facials are only hot to watch, not to experience. I mean, it's kinda hot. Whatever.

Mully

I wouldn't be surprised if Muscle Pharm Assault has meth-like chemicals as well. That shit put me on a whole other level when I took it before workouts.

Now I just stick to coffee.

crozier

Ephedrine was the shit back in the day. First and only time in my life I had an eight-pack. So tempting to drop some cash on this stuff while it's still available.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Yeah I knew about the eth-amphetamine in craze since before summer. But I stocked up on it last year because it was so damn effective at the gym! I've since moved on to taking White Flood/Ritual/Superdrive on different days (or nothing) depending on what I do at the gym.

Still have 2 tubs of craze left. Probably would still buy more if I could.

TheJerit

Good point, wonder if any NFL'ers have been pinged because of this....

reaver18

What happened to working out without taking all these bullshit supplements? The long term affects are unknown and most likely cause more harm long term than benefits in short term. I feel way better being able to go into the gym to lift with natural energy and build my body naturally.

Riki

What happened to working out without taking all these bullshit supplements? The long term affects are unknown and most likely cause more harm long term than benefits in short term. I feel way better being able to go into the gym to lift with natural energy and build my body naturally.

The gym I go to all these guys talk about taking "C4" and "Nitro" and a bunch of other bull shit.
They're pretty big, but I just can't imagine it. Always talking about how they feel like their hearts will explode. Why?

Tenacious-V

Why not take some real meth instead of this diluted shit, imagine how effective you could be at the gym!!

I've experimented over the years, and the real thing doesn't give you the drive to lift. :p

You can stay awake for 20-30 hours as a jittery mess, but no desire to go to the gym and exercise.

The gym I go to all these guys talk about taking "C4" and "Nitro" and a bunch of other bull shit.
They're pretty big, but I just can't imagine it. Always talking about how they feel like their hearts will explode. Why?

because they're taking other shit, too. C4 and roids aren't even in the same ballpark.

that or they don't do cardio and are just swoll trolls

Roland1979

I thought that was old news and had been adjusted for some time now? Or am i thinking bout some other PWO? Anyways, regulation is terrible in the US since over their it does not get treated as a food from what i understand and does not fall under the same strict regulations (FDA?). In a BB documentary the guy makes his own supplement and within no time is selling it -highly overpriced and untested or screened- at some convention. Don't know about the rest of the EU but there's many US supplements that are illegal in The Netherlands. Want to make your own PWO? Pure caffeine powder, taurine powder and citrulline malate.

Tenacious-V

I thought that was old news and had been adjusted for some time now? Or am i thinking bout some other PWO? Anyways, regulation is terrible in the US since over their it does not get treated as a food from what i understand and does not fall under the same strict regulations (FDA?). In a BB documentary the guy makes his own supplement and within no time is selling it -highly overpriced and untested or screened- at some convention. Don't know about the rest of the EU but there's many US supplements that are illegal in The Netherlands.

You might be thinking of when they banned 1, 3 dimethylamylamine that was in the original Jack3d, C4, 1M.R., and a ton of other preworkouts.

The eth-amphetamine is a designer analog that's only been found in Craze and Detonate about half a year ago. Both of which have been taken off the market.

GodofWine

Craze has been under the microscope for a long while...I guess they finally found the time send them a letter that they went a little overboard on their formula.

"meth-like" is a pure bullshit media term, caffeine is meth like, ephedrine hcl is meth like, both are proven safe an legal. Craze doesnt have meth in it, nor did Jacked...they just used a "stimulant" chemical not naturally occuring in the plants they claim they come from.

My supplement use history is probably longer and more diverse than anyone here (not bragging). Ive reached the point with supps that I finally realize there are three things that work; creatine, caffeine and protien. The rest is diet.

Now, if you move on up to prohormones and designer steroids that are legally availale (somehow), they work too, but they can do bad things.

Roland1979

Even though regulation might be far from ideal in The States i do believe most supplements are safe when using the correct doses. Most get banned after some idiot thinks 30 times the recommended doses = 30 times gains. Some supplements are super safe, like whey and creatine and can always be consumed by everyone in normal doses, probably even by pregnant women. Some do seem safe but it's often still uncertain about human usage for more then, say, 30 years. Toxicity in serious studies should be your decider when in doubt about using some supplement. But you don't need most supplements (or one at all if you train well, eat well and rest well), that's why i posted a simple, safe and pure pre-workout which is easy and cheaper to make yourself.

Roland1979

This shit used to make me so itchy but it felt great. I switched to black coffee with splenda and it's not the same lol

Itches are often associated with one of the ingredients that are responsible for "the pump" (citruline malate in my simple PWO recipe) and indicate a (small) overdose of said ingredients. Try a lower doses or change PWO (or do like you, drink coffee or a red bull).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom