• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Sports Supplements Contain Meth-like Chemicals

Status
Not open for further replies.

reaver18

Even though regulation might be far from ideal in The States i do believe most supplements are safe when using the correct doses. Most get banned after some idiot thinks 30 times the recommended doses = 30 times gains. Some supplements are super safe, like whey and creatine and can always be consumed by everyone in normal doses, probably even by pregnant women. Some do seem safe but it's often still uncertain about human usage for more then, say, 30 years. Toxicity in serious studies should be your decider when in doubt about using some supplement. But you don't need most supplements (or one at all if you train well, eat well and rest well), that's why i posted a simple, safe and pure pre-workout which is easy and cheaper to make yourself.
Yeah haha I love my friends who think theyre in great shape because they lift weights 5 days a week yet never play any sports, run, or hike. Gotta find that balance between cardio and weight lifting or you'll be a big slow dude who cant run half a mile but has biceps bigger than my head.

I've gotten my body to the point where I can go into the gym and pump for two hours with out taking anything. I know guys who cant step foot into a gym anymore without taking some type of pre workout.

I feel healthier and I feel like my workouts build more muscle now than when I took pre workout honestly. Especially if I take a break for a week or two I dont lose anywhere near the stamina and strength I used to lose when taking long breaks from the gym.

N,alpha-diethylphenylethylamine is what they found, also:

The researchers noted that the compound had been patented in 1988 by Knoll Pharmaceuticals with claims of psychoactive effects, such as enhancing mental activities and pain tolerance. While it was never developed into a medicine, the patent described tests on animals and suggested an intended oral dose of 10 mg to 150 mg, with a target of 30 mg.

A suggested serving size of Craze yielded a dose of the compound of about 23 mg, the Japanese journal article said, and "it could be assumed that NADEP was added to the supplements intentionally for its pharmacological effects without adequate labeling."

Roland1979

Gotta find that balance between cardio and weight lifting or you'll be a big slow dude who cant run half a mile but has biceps bigger than my head.

I've gotten my body to the point where I can go into the gym and pump for two hours with out taking anything. I know guys who cant step foot into a gym anymore without taking some type of pre workout.
Disturbing but i heard that before, that means PWO's have become a crutch. And totally agree about cardio. Besides, bigger lungs and a stronger heart transports blood more efficiently which equals more oxygen which means better workouts. Tell you one more thing, never restrict yourself to just endurance (like a marathon). Studies have found that with explosive training (sprinting, the 100 meter dash, etc) health benefits increase exponentially. Which means that people who jog for a hour on a slow paces tremendously miss out on health benefits. Our hunter-gatherer ancestors heavily relied on both: long distances of tracking a prey, quick sprints to keep up or catch it. You can never go wrong with training in a diverse way.

Seems this made some papers here today. You have to lol at the people who are shaking their heads and condemning such products as they tuck into their daily fried bread, sausage and bacon breakfast. Trans fats FTW! No harm there.

Seems this made some papers here today. You have to lol at the people who are shaking their heads and condemning such products as they tuck into their daily fried bread, sausage and bacon breakfast. Trans fats FTW! No harm there.

Are you saying you'd rather do shots in a chemistry lab than have an English breakfast?

Jag

I was going to go there but it looks like a lot of gaffers are excited to track some of this stuff down before it gets yanked off the shelf. :\

For full disclosure, I am legal counsel for a supplement company, but my job is to make sure shit like this never happens to us. We don't operate in the body building space, so that is a totally different animal.

Unfortunately there are good and bad actors in every industry. The govt has the tools to put the bad ones away, they just don't. Again no different from other industries where bad guys stay one step ahead of the law.

Believe it or not, the most effective way to get these guys is not relying on the govt, but on your friendly neighborhood....class action lawyer.

Yeah haha I love my friends who think theyre in great shape because they lift weights 5 days a week yet never play any sports, run, or hike. Gotta find that balance between cardio and weight lifting or you'll be a big slow dude who cant run half a mile but has biceps bigger than my head.

I feel healthier and I feel like my workouts build more muscle now than when I took pre workout honestly. Especially if I take a break for a week or two I dont lose anywhere near the stamina and strength I used to lose when taking long breaks from the gym.

Wow you must have the biggest fedora collection

Karak

Isn't this kind of old news? I've known that Craze has this stuff at least for a year if not longer.

Yes but it takes awhile. Also its not the only one still currently on shelves that carry various other ingredients that would be considered a no go by the Government. It takes them awhile sometimes to figure it out and some particular companies, or individuals, bank on that. Its a game of cat and mouse that has continued for decades and mimicked across various supps.

IceCold

Disturbing but i heard that before, that means PWO's have become a crutch. And totally agree about cardio. Besides, bigger lungs and a stronger heart transports blood more efficiently which equals more oxygen which means better workouts. Tell you one more thing, never restrict yourself to just endurance (like a marathon). Studies have found that with explosive training (sprinting, the 100 meter dash, etc) health benefits increase exponentially. Which means that people who jog for a hour on a slow paces tremendously miss out on health benefits. Our hunter-gatherer ancestors heavily relied on both: long distances of tracking a prey, quick sprints to keep up or catch it. You can never go wrong with training in a diverse way.

Weight lifting improves your cardiovascular system too. But I agree, I diverse routine is always better.

I'm also not convinced of the health benefits of marathons. Nothing in excess is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom