• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TYRANNY |OT| Sometimes, Evil Wins [Tiers For Fears]

Sanctuary

The GOG version unlocked for me 8 mins ago.

Not for me...

edit: Nice, one of the GOG team even said that it unlocked 15 minutes ago, but all I get is the damn splash screen that says "Tyranny has not been pre-loaded onto your system. The full game will release on November 10th."

Amazing.

Abbey Road

Neo Member
Ya. And starting at hard is instantly doable. Even for one of my friends who has never played an ISO he started on hard and if you pay attention you are good to go, minus random bad luck and bad setups.

Hey, Karak

Been reading some other reviews that point out the ending as anti-climactic and sort of a sequel bait.....did you play the game till completion, and if yes, did you like the ending, did your ending satisfactorily wrap up all/most of the open plot strands or did the ending diminish your enjoyment of the game as a whole?

kwisc

Neo Member
Im after 90% of the first playthrough and lot of talk with friend who is doing his second one. Tyranny isnt bad and has really good ideas but execution is at best mediocore.

1. Enemies - there are only 3 types of enemies: humans, ghosts and inteligent humanoid beasts. Thats it. In Fantasy RPG... You will fight with archer/mage/warrior combo like 40 or 50 Times and it become really boring rly fast.
2. Abilities - this game is flooded with them. You get skills from class tree, companion reputation, faction reputation, artifacts, spell crafting and... you get tired of them very fast because you fight same enemies over and over again...
3. Charaters - mostly well written and likeable.
4. World - interesting and unique but game didnt show its full potential.
5. Dungeons - booring. Very simillar with medicore puzzles and you fight same ghosts over and over again. Did i mentioned there are only 3 types of enemies?

Story and choices
This is the most important part and reason i still play this game even though gameplay become boring after 5-6 hours.

There are some realy fun characters and some really good dialogues. Most of the time you can role play your character really well thx to mamy dialogue options and many decisions you are forced to make. And all that is cool, but unfortunately only for 8-10 hours...

After that you will notice that the only choices that really mattered in global scale were choices in first act. During First 4-5 hours you can chose one of 3 factions or fight with all of them. After that the only choice is to stay with your chosen faction or fight with everybody. trust me, you want to avoid the last option. Killing every armed person in the game isnt fun at all...

The second big problem is that smaller choices often dont match with each other very well. Here is some example:
during my playthrough one of my companions become hollow. He stoped talking and started behaving like a doll. Really fun idea. Unfortunately in some other important quest when he was asked to talk he did it without any hasitations ;>
This game is made of many small bricks. When they match it feels great, but if they don't it can looks really dumb ;)

All in all Tyranny is trying to make really unique and cool stuff, but unfortunately it feels rushed and unpolished. Every classic RPG fan should Play its first act but after that everthing is going down the hill.

Sorry for the long post and mamy mistakes. English isnt my nativ lenguage and i wrote it with my Phone. Hope it still useful for some of you ;)

Not for me...

edit: Nice, one of the GOG team even said that it unlocked 15 minutes ago, but all I get is the damn splash screen that says "Tyranny has not been pre-loaded onto your system. The full game will release on November 10th."

Amazing.

Are you using GOG Galaxy?

Karak

Hey, Karak

Been reading some other reviews that point out the ending as anti-climactic and sort of a sequel bait.....did you play the game till completion, and if yes, did you like the ending, did your ending satisfactorily wrap up all/most of the open plot strands or did the ending diminish your enjoyment of the game as a whole?

Yep and it was fine and is set up for a sequel. By its definition the game is anti-climatic to some just in its overall theme. Its setup is power to personal choice not personal choice to power like most hero titles. So to me it was perfect and I knew that kind of ending was coming.
Could it have been better? Yep. But I can only think of a handful I wouldn't say that about. It wasn't amazing but it didn't bother me at all. I guess i could say your mileage may vary but that's a given in any game.

Aaron D.

Welp, with the post-election blues I can't think of a better balm than a nice, meaty RPG to get lost in.

Besides, with the title and theme of the game, the timing couldn't be any better if you tried.

Yea for impulse buying!

Sajjaja

Are hybrid classes supposed to be viable in this? Character creation suggests so, but not sure.

That's what I want to know too. In character creation there is a war mage that reads as part warrior part mage that I wanna try but not sure how it would work.

EDIT: I found this interview which suggests that it is very viable with how the game is designed this time around http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/obsidian-on-its-new-rpg-tyranny/0174976

Obsidian has also found another way to challenge and reinvent the traditional RPG and explore new types of stories: it doesn’t use the traditional D&D-based class system. This means that if you want your character to be a spell-crafting thief that uses a two handed sword, you can.

Of course, skill-based progression is not exactly new but it’s a radical change when your ancestors are classics such as Baldur’s Gate and Icewind Dales – or even Pillars of Eternity.

“As you perform actions in the game, your skills get better,” Heins explains. “When enough skills have improved, your character goes up in level – allowing you to improve attributes and gain new talents for your character.”

“We made these changes for a couple of reasons. Mostly, this is the type of RPG that I love playing. Skill-based systems give you a chance to create the character that matches the role you want to play. I often find that when I’m playing a class-based system, I really want to play the character that’s a hybrid of two or more classes. Skill-based systems allow me to make that character easily.

Nzyme32

Tyranny Release Trailer

That's what I want to know too. In character creation there is a war mage that reads as part warrior part mage that I wanna try but not sure how it would work.

EDIT: I found this interview which suggests that it is very viable with how the game is designed this time around http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/obsidian-on-its-new-rpg-tyranny/0174976

I tried to explain this in the OP. There is no class restricition, and the game is built around the freedom to make whatever you like. You choose a history for your character of the route to which you ended up in Kyros' Army, then your own primary and secondary expertise for combat / abilities - but that is just a base. You build your character through what you do and use in everything from combat to conversation and object use. They tried to minimise grind or being forced to only use one option to develop, attempting to make all playstyles viable.

Corpekata

Banned
Tyranny Release Trailer

I tried to explain this in the OP. There is no class restricition, and the game is built around the freedom to make whatever you like. You choose a history for your character of the route to which you ended up in Kyros' Army, then your own primary and secondary expertise for combat / abilities - but that is just a base. You build your character through what you do and use in everything from combat to conversation and object use. They tried to minimise grind or being forced to only use one option to develop, attempting to make all playstyles viable.

I meant more in a realistic / practical fashion. Plenty of games LET you do this sort of thing, but you can end up with a wimp that can't do either thing right.

From what I've seen though, seems okay so far. I like that if you have say, a skill that needs a certain weapon type, and it's in your secondary slot, you just use the skill and the character switches to the weapon to perform it rather than having to manually change types first.

Nzyme32

I meant more in a realistic / practical fashion. Plenty of games LET you do this sort of thing, but you can end up with a wimp that can't do either thing right.

From what I've seen though, seems okay so far. I like that if you have say, a skill that needs a certain weapon type, and it's in your secondary slot, you just use the skill and the character switches to the weapon to perform it rather than having to manually change types first.

Yeah, I'm just going off what was available pre-launch, not having played it yet, which is a mix of Obsidians own info and streams along with the few streams that were available. I can't play for another hour or so. After that I'll dig into it a bit and give some proper thoughts

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Downloading now. Seems oddly apropos to be playing this game right now, but I hope it's a solid distraction.

Sanctuary

Are you using GOG Galaxy?

Yes, never bothered using it for anything until last night to pre-load this. Figured it out though by having to verify the files. Never had to do that with other similar services.

Anyway, does anyone know how or when you're supposed to be able to use the sigil expressions you've found? I've found two, and they aren't selectable in the spell creation menu. I also have no idea how I can actually look at what I've picked up either, because I'm not seeing any option in the spell creation menu for that, and they are also not in my inventory.

Karak

Are hybrid classes supposed to be viable in this? Character creation suggests so, but not sure.

Yep the way the game works and does checks its totally possible. That is what I was...I guess. Since its classless you will never know if your leaning one way or the other or perfectly 50/50

syko de4d

german gamestar review sold me on this game. But i always wait for a complete edition with DLC etc.
There will be Story DLC?

Anno

german gamestar review sold me on this game. But i always wait for a complete edition with DLC etc.
There will be Story DLC?

On a recent stream the game lead said they are talking to Paradox about potential expansion. So who knows, I guess. Probably just depends on how well it does. Certainly no time soon.

Karak discovered the word "requisite" recently going by his review lol ;)

Thanks for the review as always. Doesn't seem as appealing as Pillars to me.

acidagfc

Impressions after 2 hours - amazing. World building, characters, writing - all top notch.
Voice`s of Nerat voiceover (ha!) is pure pleasure.
I guess I'm not going to sleep tomorrow (really want to continue now, stupid work).

I'm loving the world obsidian has created here and the conquest feature is a really cool way of fleshing out both your character and the world.

Anno

Oh nice, Paradox gave this game a spot with their other game wikis. They tend to have such a good community for keeping wikis accurate and up-to-date.

Xater

Great, I can't play. I try starting a new game and I am stuck at the loading screen and the game is no longer reacting. Happens every single time I try.

peakish

I'm loving the world obsidian has created here and the conquest feature is a really cool way of fleshing out both your character and the world.
Yeah, Conquest is a damn amazing way to fill out your backstory. Character creation in general was less complex than Pillars but the choices all seem geared to making a fleshed out character and not just a token.

Great, I can't play. I try starting a new game and I am stuck at the loading screen and the game is no longer reacting. Happens every single time I try.
The loading screen was quite long for me. Has it actually frozen or is it just slow?

iiicon

Just an hour until my work week is over and I make my first difficult decision: whether to jump into this or Dishonoured first.

Llyranor

Very quick impressions:
- Menu music is nice
- Character models are pretty good
- Conquest mode is cool
- World-building and writing so far are the main appeal
- Dialogue interface is nice; I quite like the hypertext

JC Sera

Playing this, its running a lot better than pillars did
on my mac
seems like Obsidian did a fair amount of work on optimising their engine
the UI QoL is a great upgrade too
and the minimap

Just an hour until my work week is over and I make my first difficult decision: whether to jump into this or Dishonoured first.

im kind of torn on whether to buy this or dishonored 2. i'm only going to buy 1 as i dont have time to play both, barely have time to play one of them. they both seem like they're pretty good games.

im kind of torn on whether to buy this or dishonored 2. i'm only going to buy 1 as i dont have time to play both, barely have time to play one of them. they both seem like they're pretty good games.

If you're thinking about buying Dishonored on PC, be sure to read the performance thread first. Not hearing good stuff about it.

Nzyme32

Finally time for me to try the game!

Playing this, its running a lot better than pillars did
on my mac
seems like Obsidian did a fair amount of work on optimising their engine
the UI QoL is a great upgrade too
and the minimap

Pillars got a ton of great updates / fixes and alike over time and with its expansions. As is typical of things via Paradox, I hope for the same with Tyranny. Especially as it seems there might be some kind of Winter setting expansion.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
For some reason this is only running at 40 - 50 fps for me in game. During character creation it was hitting 144. Not sure what's going on, my machine should crush this.

i7-4770k, 32 GB RAM, Geforce 980.

peakish

Hah, someone called me out on making a grand but vague statement to appease both sides. "Next time you say something, try to mean it." Fucking player characters, trying to minmax without picking sides.

I'm worried about whether I made a properly bad character, but multiclassing mage with spear and shield skills was too alluring. Imma fuck people up face to face.

Corpekata

Banned

Wait for Dishonored 2 to get patched. It's not great on any platform at the moment.

Moff

How's replayability?

as far as we know it's pretty much designed for maximum replayabily, lots of choices and consequences

I played for 2 hours and like it a lot so far, tons of dialogue, I mostly just talked in the 2 hours, maybe 5 minutes of combat. combat seems to be a bit slow in the beginning, which might be because I am a mage. creating spells seems to be super fun, I like that a lot. story seems to be interesting as well, I just loved
delivering that edict to the 2 archons
. what I really like is how you can mouseover on a lot of keywords in the dialogue boxes and it gives you detailed lore about them. I also like how the game immediately played with this new mechanic when
you met the archon of whispers and he talked through them with you
, really cool.

so far I really like it a lot.

iiicon

If the issue is time I would lean Dishonoured, assuming the PC issues get ironed out soon. Both games look like high quality iterations on the developer's previous work, with replayability in mind so your time investment can scale up as much you want, but a first playthrough is likely shorter in Dishonoured.

That said, I'm personally going with this. Sitting down at my computer on a weekend morning with a CRPG and a coffee is one of life's great pleasures.

Top Bottom