• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TYRANNY |OT| Sometimes, Evil Wins [Tiers For Fears]

The way Obsidian weaves Tyranny's excellent writing into the gameplay mechanics deeply impresses me. They are truly masters of their craft; I can't think of a single other developer (aside from Larian) that is even trying to ford new ground for the critical roleplaying element of RPGs.

Also, the Voices of Nerat is an amazing character, from the brief interaction I've had with them so far. Super curious to see where it all goes.

Moff

I also love the reputation mechanics and how they unlock new skills, really well done
something else I love is how you level up your skills by simply using them and you can also pay trainers wo level them, so many cool oldschool mechanics but they are really well implemented

writing and lore is really cool and interesting as well, I also like how the portraits of NPCs change during dialogue

so far this feels like a much improved and refined POE, but not as generic and much more special

JC Sera

Finally time for me to try the game!

Pillars got a ton of great updates / fixes and alike over time and with its expansions. As is typical of things via Paradox, I hope for the same with Tyranny. Especially as it seems there might be some kind of Winter setting expansion.
I replayed pillars after the expansions came out and it still wasn't running as good as this

I think my favourite companion so far is Lantry
I can't unhear Kana in Barik's voice tho :T

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I love the integrated Civilopedia style text in the game, helps to keep up with the lore easily. I also like the green text where the game acknowledges that your character has existed in the world his/her whole life and as such has their own knowledge and perspective on things.

Really really cool stuff.

Miletius

I'm really excited about this, but I'm going to hold out until Christmas for more time/hope that somebody will buy it for me.

Shepard

How is performance for you guys? I have a 980 and it looks really choppy @1440p 4xMSAA (making it lower doesnt change much).

Performance is fine, better than vanilla Pillars. Though I think the cinematics have lag? That might be my imagination, though.

NinjaEdit: Loading times seem long though. And I haven't seen any in-game torches yet, which in Pillars inexplicably tanked my performance on a 7770. (I have a 970 now.)
I love the integrated Civilopedia style text in the game, helps to keep up with the lore easily. I also like the green text where the game acknowledges that your character has existed in the world his/her whole life and as such has their own knowledge and perspective on things.

Agreed. That, along and the emotive portraits during conversations, are really smart improvements over Pillars.

Menome

Busy evening, so I only got a small amount of time to play. Met Verse and had a chat with her, got a swift lesson that being diplomatic isn't as guaranteed a success in conversation as with other RPGs. I've mostly sided with the Scarlet Chorus during Conquest, with a couple of bones thrown to the Disfavoured to keep them from being completely pissed off at me.

Not a fan of the changing portraits in conversation though. It just feels a bit off and...cheap somehow.

Moff

I agree, dialogue is so cool and fun in this game, it feels like gameplay
also because of the stuff you can decide, this game is all I hoped it would be so far

Stevey

For some reason this is only running at 40 - 50 fps for me in game. During character creation it was hitting 144. Not sure what's going on, my machine should crush this.

i7-4770k, 32 GB RAM, Geforce 980.

Ughh.
Unity strikes again.
Don't think I've ever played a single Unity game which runs at decent performance for what you're seeing on screen.

I'm reading that the game
railroads you into chosen one bullshit in the ending, ME3 style
(potential ending spoilers I think ?)

If true, man I wanted this game but I can't take that again. I'm so sick of
being the chosen one

Shepard

Yep, for some reason the game is running capped at 24 fps. Can hit the high 10s during combat. The hell.

Edit: Not capped. Performance is just so bad that it rarely goes above 25 fps in the map with the huge statue. How can they fuck this shit even more than Pillars? 980 with 3570, 32Gb RAM.

Hmm, I don't have an FPS counter on my game so perhaps I should rescind the "fine" performance comment above. It isn't jittery or stuttery for me so far, is all. I'll try to pay more attention to it.

Conezays

Uh oh, those performance impressions are worrying me, lol. I have a 780Ti and don't remember any glaring performance issues with Pillars (besides some gameplay related glitches).

jrcbandit

I'm stuck on character creation. I want a battle mage, what's a good combo? Frost or Lightning primary and some sort of melee secondary like fists or what?

Shepard

Really wish I had bough this on Steam, and not Nuuvem, so I could get a refund right now. That battle right after you choose to push the boulder runs at 14 fps. 14.

Purkake4

Banned
Im after 90% of the first playthrough and lot of talk with friend who is doing his second one. Tyranny isnt bad and has really good ideas but execution is at best mediocore.

1. Enemies - there are only 3 types of enemies: humans, ghosts and inteligent humanoid beasts. Thats it. In Fantasy RPG... You will fight with archer/mage/warrior combo like 40 or 50 Times and it become really boring rly fast.
2. Abilities - this game is flooded with them. You get skills from class tree, companion reputation, faction reputation, artifacts, spell crafting and... you get tired of them very fast because you fight same enemies over and over again...
3. Charaters - mostly well written and likeable.
4. World - interesting and unique but game didnt show its full potential.
5. Dungeons - booring. Very simillar with medicore puzzles and you fight same ghosts over and over again. Did i mentioned there are only 3 types of enemies?
I feel that this is very much on the fact that Obsidian created their own roleplay system. It's obviously balanced for roughly level 1-10 and ends up feeling shallow. If you take even something as arcane as DnD 2e was (from sayBG2), it provided a lot of the balancing and interesting mechanics out of the box. Not to mention a near-limitless amount of different enemies and campaign stuff. Larian did a good job building on their previous work with Divinity and really nailing down their system. Obsidian's bonuses and penalties feel like a soft incremental curve with no real consequences.

I'm stuck on character creation. I want a battle mage, what's a good combo? Frost or Lightning primary and some sort of melee secondary like fists or what?

I'm curious myself. I was going to make a hybrid, but the skill splits didn't make it seem viable at all, even with skill allocation later on. Though now that I think of it, ranking up on use would offset the problem a lot, perhaps entirely....

Anyways, I ended up making a monk instead.

meerak

I'm sorry for such a simple question, but, can someone tell me if Tyranny and PoE are really similar mechanically?

I'm not good at managing such a large number of characters at once and prefer small parties. Could Tyranny be for me?

Corpekata

Banned
HDMI
Tried Gsync on and off, no changes. 144Hz monitor (tried running 60Hz, no changes too), 1440p
i5 3570, 980 and 32Gb Ram

This is actually somewhat of a common Unity engine issue with Gsync monitors. I've had it in a few too (Nightcry recently). There's usually some workarounds that pop up quick (or it gets patched quickly).

I'm sorry for such a simple question, but, can someone tell me if Tyranny and PoE are really similar mechanically?

I'm not good at managing such a large number of characters at once and prefer small parties. Could Tyranny be for me?

Party member count in this is down to 4, so maybe.

MartyStu

So just for context, can y'all list which difficulty you are playing at?

The discussion on the shallowness of the skill system is concerning.

I am not expecting much with this game, but I would like something solidly entertaining an engaging.

Nzyme32

So just for context, can y'all list which difficulty you are playing at?

The discussion on the shallowness of the skill system is concerning.

I am not expecting much with this game, but I would like something solidly entertaining an engaging.

I don't see anything "shallow" in the skill system thus far, though it is still early days. The lengths they have gone to to balance it and prevent grinding or having to spam to get anywhere should prevent "shallowness" imo, but I'll have to see further into the game. It's damn good right now anyway

Played the 'Conquest' mode and then about 45 minutes. Daaaaaaaamn this game is awesome. I'm a huge Baldur's Gate fan though so most of this is right up my alley. This world is just exceptional though. I think I like it more than Pillars? Not sure though.

About how long is this game? I was always interested in PoE, but the huge lenght kind of put me off.

I believe average playthrough is supposed to be about 25-30 hours? One reviewer said a 100% completionist would be nearly 50 hours.

Nzyme32

Thank you for responding! That makes me breath a sigh of relief actually.

Also there is not as much need to micromanage, as companions can have AI (on by default at normal & below / can be activated at higher if you want it) and you can choose relevant behaviour you need - this was added to Pillars later on, but I never saw it when I played quite a while back (probably before it was added).

About how long is this game? I was always interested in PoE, but the huge lenght kind of put me off.

25hrs at least I heard. But this game has a big focus on reactivity, replayability and branching story instead. You can definitely see that right from the start.

Played the 'Conquest' mode and then about 45 minutes. Daaaaaaaamn this game is awesome. I'm a huge Baldur's Gate fan though so most of this is right up my alley. This world is just exceptional though. I think I like it more than Pillars? Not sure though.

I believe average playthrough is supposed to be about 25-30 hours? One reviewer said a 100% completionist would be nearly 50 hours.

Same thoughts! Really great at hooking you and getting you into the lore, factions, state of things and sheer dismay of the world. Good fun!

Brohan

Stupid question... but i made a dual wielding character and put skill points in dual wield but do i also need to put skill points in one handed weapons?

Usually i wouldn't doubt it but the skill description of the one handed weapons skill doesn't include anything about dual wielding. Neither is the One handed weapons skill recommended for my character.

the general jank of dishonored 2 put me off. I'll get it at a sale down the line. i dont really want to spend time fiddling with graphics/mouse setting atm either.

picked up tyranny, downloading now. hope its as good as yall are saying

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Stupid question... but i made a dual wielding character and put skill points in dual wield but do i also need to put skill points in one handed weapons?

Usually i wouldn't doubt it but the skill description of the one handed weapons skill doesn't include anything about dual wielding. Neither is the One handed weapons skill recommended for my character.

It doesn't seem necessary, but you'll level up one handed weapons naturally as you play. The game uses a "skills get better through use" system rather then an earn xp and distribute points system.

Sotha_Sil

The way Obsidian weaves Tyranny's excellent writing into the gameplay mechanics deeply impresses me. They are truly masters of their craft; I can't think of a single other developer (aside from Larian) that is even trying to ford new ground for the critical roleplaying element of RPGs.

Also, the Voices of Nerat is an amazing character, from the brief interaction I've had with them so far. Super curious to see where it all goes.

That sounds fantastic. In the thread not too long ago on what "RPG" means, I came up with two mechanics that had to be deeply woven into the design of the game. This sounds like it will more than satisfy those terms.

Brohan

It doesn't seem necessary, but you'll level up one handed weapons naturally as you play. The game uses a "skills get better through use" system rather then an earn xp and distribute points system.

Ok thank you! Guess i'll just ignore the one handed skill atm.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
You know what I like? I finally get to play a cool bad guy without the game and everybody in it yelling at me and telling me that I'm an asshole. I also really like that you aren't just some random farmer with memory loss. It's cool to feel somewhat respected in game.

Nzyme32

Tyranny got to 12,831 concurrent users for launch day - pretty good for something barely marketed, already in a niche and only a few hours since launch mid-weekish. Will probably get over 15,000 by Sunday at least.

For comparison sake Pillars did 30,000, Divinity did 12,000 but then increased after that to 22,000.

bounchfx

Tyranny got to 12,831 concurrent users for launch day - pretty good for something barely marketed, already in a niche and only a few hours since launch mid-weekish. Will probably get over 15,000 by Sunday at least.

For comparison sake Pillars did 30,000, Divinity did 12,000 but then increased after that to 22,000.

That's great to hear. Have they shared what their break even point is?

Conezays

Enjoying the game so far. The introduction "Conquest" mode took me around 45 minutes and had all sorts of interesting decisions to be made. So far I haven't had any graphical/framerate issues but I am getting a consistent audio buzzing going on. Anyone else experience that? Otherwise than that, everything else seems to be solid. Curious how much environmental variety the game has compared to something like POE but so far this seems like a worthy successor IMO. Reminds me a bit of Age of Decadence which is also similarly open-ended and replayable in its variety of choices.

bati

I'm bouncing pretty hard off of this, for exactly the same reasons as with Pillars of Eternity: info dump at the beginning of the game, lots and lots of abilities that don't feel very powerful (ie, an attack that does +3 damage compared to auto attack - not very exciting), purple prose and the character names. In PoE it was some mishmash of Celtic/Welsh and here it's generic english words. This last one is completely on me, maybe because I'm not a native english speaker, but still.

And the ruleset still feels so...meh. Again.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So does anyone have any impressions of the combat system? The PoE one was not something I particularly enjoy so I stayed away from it, is this more of that? Or is it completely different?

For reference I enjoyed Divinity's combat a lot.

Vaporak

Unfortunate to hear it's doing noticeably worse than Pillars, hopefully it ends up being enough of a success for Obsidian.

Corpekata

Banned
So without spoiling too much (very early game spoiler), d
oes the whole 8 day timer thing get extended or does the game continue past that point? Cuz that seems kind of short. I assume it does because the tutorial that popped up had like 18 days, but I'm not sure if that's just maybe what it's like on normal or easy.

Nzyme32

Unfortunate to hear it's doing noticeably worse than Pillars, hopefully it ends up being enough of a success for Obsidian.

Why would you expect it to do better? One had a massively longer time of marketing and development with a huge kickstarter, bigger budget, scale, and a return of a classic style that wasn't being done at the time. Tyranny is miniature in comparison. I would say this is doing very well.

Corpekata

Banned
Yeah it's doing better than I expected given it's had so little marketing and even like barely any sites reviewed it. I certainly didn't expect it sitting between DH2 and Civ Vi on the top sellers, at least.

Top Bottom