• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U2's 'The Joshua Tree' is 30 years old today

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoKKeR

large.jpg
large.jpg

thejoshuatree_gatefold_640.jpg

http://www.u2.com/news/title/the-joshua-tree-at-30

On March 9th, 1987, U2 released what would become one of the most successful albums of all time, and one that would cement their status as one of the world's biggest bands for years to come. It landed them the cover of TIME, took them from being an arena band to a stadium band, and propelled them to worldwide fame that would set the stage for the rest of their (continuing) career. 'The Joshua Tree' turns 30 today, and it's a perfect time to reflect on the album, its impact, and its continued relevance in today's world. It has sold over 25 million copies worldwide, and has produced some of the bands most recognizable and successful songs. Here's the track list:

The album is in many ways a love/hate letter to America after the band had spent the previous several years touring the country. It's filled with American and world politics, massive and stretching sonic landscapes, and roots-inspired song structures. I wanted to share a great retrospective I read on chorus.fm that really underscores the album's continued relevance:

https://chorus.fm/review/u2-the-joshua-tree/

In 2017, the messages behind ”Streets" and every other song on this album feel as apt as they ever have. At least in the United States, we feel more divided—by politics, by race, by gender, by sexual orientation, and by our own differences in opinion—than I remember us feeling at any prior point in my lifetime. Amidst this tension and strife, it feels almost serendipitous that a record like The Joshua Tree is marking a three-decade milestone. On the one hand, it's sobering to know how little we've moved forward in the past 30 years. Why do we still let bitter, violent division take root? Why do we still stand for a government that wages undeclared wars and props up foreign administrations that commit horrific atrocities? Why do we still let the failed ”War on Drugs" stigmatize people like the heroin-ravaged couple in ”Running to Stand Still"? Why do we fail, at every turn, to show compassion? Why the fuck don't we ever learn anything from history?

On the other hand, though, it's comforting to know that U2 will be back on the road this year, bringing these songs back into the limelight and giving another generation a chance to unfurl their meanings and lessons. Looking back on The Joshua Tree 30 years later, U2's fifth record and magnum opus still seems undeniably timeless. That fact alone is something to celebrate, and it's why I write these retrospective columns in the first place: to look at how the best music can still hold weight and meaning even so many years after it was written. But my greatest hope is that in another 30 years, these songs and the messages behind them will be seen as out-of-date. As relics of a time when we weren't so enlightened. As reminders of the problems that we used to have. Because if this album isn't timeless 60 years after the fact, then maybe we will have made some goddamn progress.

To celebrate the album's anniversary, the band are touring stadiums throughout the US and Europe this summer. I know that I saw a few GAFers in a previous thread saying that they were planning on making it out to a show this summer; I can't wait to see these songs (especially the second half) played live.

So, if you do anything today – even if you hate U2 or have never heard this album – give it a listen and see if it connects. There's something in here for everyone, and I think you'll find that its sound and a message continue to hold a lot of weight in today's world.

Altazor

I'm far from a U2 fan, but I really like this album and Achtung Baby, as different as they can be from each other. This is peak earnest-U2, with all the roots-rock thing and the anthemic choruses and really serious issues that are really happening around the world now, while AB is peak "let's throw shit at the wall and see what sticks because there are no rules and everything's allowed, boys!" U2. And they both fucking work.

I love how Where the Streets Have No Name builds up and up and up. It's an incredible album opener.

Not my favorite U2 album, but I'm pretty excited about this upcoming tour. The album is an undeniable classic and it not being my favorite speaks more to the overall quality of their discography. First time seeing them too!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Not my favorite U2 album, but I'm pretty excited about this upcoming tour. The album is an undeniable classic and it not being my favorite speaks more to the overall quality of their discography. First time seeing them too!
From the avatar, I bet I know which U2-related podcast you listen to

Shiv47

My favorite album when it came out during my sophomore year of high school. I wanted to see them so badly when they came to town, but I had no way of getting tickets then. Now, I like Achtung Baby more, but it will always have a place in my collection.

Seiryoden

I think it's a very solid album but it always felt strange to me. I think it strikes me as insincere? Whereas Achtung Baby was more "this is us, get on the train or fuck off".

Edit: Damn it :(

GhaleonEB

One of the best albums ever, bar none. One Tree Hill and Red Hill Mining Town are deeply rousing. Running to Stand Still is just flat out brilliant, in composition and lyric.

Achtung Baby is my favorite album overall, but Joshua Tree is right up there.

Teggy

Amazing record, I should give it a full listen tomorrow, been a long time. Not too long after it came out a friend gave me a cassette with Joshua Tree on one side and INXS' "Kick" on the other. That started a total obsession I had with U2 through high school and my freshman year of college. Zooropa is where they lost me, unfortunately, but all the records from Achtung Baby back hold a special place in my heart.

Altazor

Zooropa is where they lost me, unfortunately, but all the records from Achtung Baby back hold a special place in my heart.

Zooropa has some good stuff too, IMHO. Funnily enough, I hated "Lemon" when I was a kid - no doubt influenced by the intense dislike my mom (who was a U2 fan) felt for that song. Nowadays, it's clearly one of my favorites. It's sounds so unlike them, but it has this very melancholic-while-detached vibe, like not knowing if you're supposed to feel emotional about it or not, because the song is and isn't at the same time.

The thing with Achtung Baby and Zooropa kinda reminds me of Radiohead's Kid A and Amnesiac - they have a certain special relationship between them, so you either treat them as halves of the same whole, or you prefer the grander, more influential work over the lesser known successor that doesn't quite reach those same heights.

Teggy

Zooropa has some good stuff too, IMHO. Funnily enough, I hated "Lemon" when I was a kid - no doubt influenced by the intense dislike my mom (who was a U2 fan) felt for that song. Nowadays, it's clearly one of my favorites. It's sounds so unlike them, but it has this very melancholic-while-detached vibe, like not knowing if you're supposed to feel emotional about it or not, because the song is and isn't at the same time.

The thing with Achtung Baby and Zooropa kinda reminds me of Radiohead's Kid A and Amnesiac - they have a certain special relationship between them, so you either treat them as halves of the same whole, or you prefer the grander, more influential work over the lesser known successor that doesn't quite reach those same heights.

I just don't care for electronic music, never have. Achtung Baby came out at a time where I was getting into louder alternative and indie rock and it was very much right place/right time for me. By the time Zooropa came out I was heading one way and they were heading another and that was kind of the end of it. I know they kind of came full circle after a while but I couldn't get interested. All those records up to AB exist for me as "my U2". Similar thing with REM and anything after Out of Time.

dejay

Banned
Too much radio play ruined much of it for me back in the day but i might give it another listen soon.

zoozilla

Joshua Tree is undeniable. Never seen U2 in concert, so I'm really hoping they play more dates. I need to hear Where the Streets Have No Name live before I die.

Pop is 20 years old

I hate the way U2 have disowned that album. There are some damn good songs on it, and personally I think it's the last vital U2 record.

Teggy

Joshua Tree is undeniable. Never seen U2 in concert, so I'm really hoping they play more dates. I need to hear Where the Streets Have No Name live before I die.

The one and only stadium show I've seen was ZooTV at the NJ Meadowlands. Pixies were the opening act, which was a crazy thing, and the show was incredible

RoKKeR

I hate the way U2 have disowned that album. There are some damn good songs on it, and personally I think it's the last vital U2 record.
Well, after this quick Joshua Tree nostalgia tour (not complaining) they will likely hit the road again next year touring their yet-to-be released album Songs of Experience, so if you can't make this tour you can keep an eye out for that. I am of course a major fan but not only do I think Streets is the greatest song ever written, seeing it live is a borderline religious experience. I think many fans would agree...

Also agree that their dismissal of Pop is a bummer. This year was obviously all about TJT, but I do wonder if they will give that album some retrospective love in years to come. I listened to it in full for the first time in a while last week and some of those songs are really great and could still work well live...

kmag

Please is so underratedly good =)

The single version is better. The album version's bass is out of tune or out of key (can't remember which off the top of my head) for the first half of the song.

As for Pop, I still think Gone is one of the better songs they've ever done.

Might be the most nostalgic '80s rock album for me. I remember typing a lot of machine language and playing a lot of 8-bit computer & console games while listening to it, either on copied tape or any of the singles playing on the radio in '87 through '88. Great road trip and walking around/running tunes.

This is when all those 80s bands did Sun City and went on an Apartheid kick, like U2, Simple Minds, Peter Gabriel, Sting, Paul Simon, etc. It also started the whole "world music" thing. I have mixed feelings about this era.

kmag

One of the best albums ever, bar none. One Tree Hill and Red Hill Mining Town are deeply rousing. Running to Stand Still is just flat out brilliant, in composition and lyric.

Achtung Baby is my favorite album overall, but Joshua Tree is right up there.

Amazing to think Running to Stand Still started as a jam with the Edge just messing around with the electric piano, the rest of the band falling it, and Bono basically improvising about 80% of the final lyric there and then.

The Joshua Tree Making of the album documentary from around the time of Pop has the actual first tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TUiD_530NI

kmag

This is when all those 80s bands did Sun City and went on an Apartheid kick, like U2, Simple Minds, Peter Gabriel, Sting, Paul Simon, etc. It also started the whole "world music" thing. I have mixed feelings about this era.

U2 were involved in the Sun City album (which was anti-apartheid) but they really only contributed Silver and Gold (and on the Sun City album it was just Bono with Keith Richards and Ron Wood) which was blues influenced rather than world music. The closest U2 ever got to world music was probably the Morocco sessions for No Line on the Horizon but they dropped most of that from that album.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I've came to terms with the fact that I really can't talk about music without sounding like a pretentious dick, but I have to say I fucking love The Joshua Tree.

It's one of the best rock albums of all time. Like, in the running for the all-time greatest. Easily.

'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For' is a song that will never age or lose it's relevance. Ever.

U2 were involved in the Sun City album (which was anti-apartheid) but they really only contributed Silver and Gold (and on the Sun City album it was just Bono with Keith Richards and Ron Wood) which was blues influenced rather than world music. The closest U2 ever got to world music was probably the Morocco sessions for No Line on the Horizon but they dropped most of that from that album.

Yeah I know. I was more talking about the other groups. Believe me, I bought all these albums in the 80s. But it's also why Bono shuns this era - he says they were "too serious".

Still one of my favourite albums ever, although I haven't listened to it in quite a few years. Where The Streets Have No Name, Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For and With Or Without You are all stone cold classics.

RoKKeR

I took a trip to Sun Studios recently, was so neat to see all of the different artists that rolled through there over the years. There was a lot of U2 on the walls and in the tour guide's talking points, which I was actually surprised at.

Shame about the dropped material from those Morocco sessions...The surviving songs are some of my favorites from No Line.

Highly recommended this article from Stereogum today, well worth a read. http://www.stereogum.com/1928691/u2...ked-its-tracks-worst-to-best/franchises/list/

TTOOLL

I just LOVE Red Hill Mining Town, brilliant song. It really is a fantastic album.

edit: Can Bono even sing it anymore?

U2NUMB

Amazing album.. third on my list behind Passengers and Achtung Baby.

Strangely at age 39 I discovered them late and it was the Popmart tour which I went to because a friend had an extra ticket that blew me away. Their command of 60 thousand people live in 1997 drove me to Columbia House every album up to that point.

While they have yet to fully capture those moments again in record form they certainly still pull it off live. If you are a fan of live music I would suggest you see them before they hang it up.

I can't believe it.
I was 16 when it came out and would listen to With or Without You thinking of my weekly high school crush.
For the life of me I could not get my friends on board the U2 hype train until Achtung Baby.
I got one ticket to their show coming to Foxboro. I will go alone and have a blast.

I was a great fan of New Wave U2 and we played the hell out of 'War' and the 'Red Sky' live album.
Frankly, I didn't like 'Joshua Tree' at all back then and it took me very long time to appreciate it more. Some fine songs on there. But it will never be in the top five of U2 albums for me.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I always thought the big 3 from this album sounded way too similar. They're great songs, but it's just weird how homogenous the first part of the album sounds.

Sapiens

I remember bono saying if they ever release two bad albums in a row, they'd stop making music, but they obviously lied about that.

kmag

I just LOVE Red Hill Mining Town, brilliant song. It really is a fantastic album.

edit: Can Bono even sing it anymore?

They've never performed it live because he can't sing it. Lots of rumours about a new version of it being released to radio. I can't imagine how much they'll neuter it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom