• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U2's 'The Joshua Tree' is 30 years old today

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmag

I always thought the big 3 from this album sounded way too similar. They're great songs, but it's just weird how homogenous the first part of the album sounds.

Blame Kirsty MacColl (RIP), the band couldn't decide on a track listing and she was dating Steve Lillywhite who was doing some mixing, and they asked her to pick a track listing and she just ended up ranking the songs by how much she liked them.

I remember bono saying if they ever release two bad albums in a row, they'd stop making music, but they obviously lied about that.

LOL, i just told a highschooler this the other day. she kept asking why ppl keep talking about U2? who are they?

The single version is better. The album version's bass is out of tune or out of key (can't remember which off the top of my head) for the first half of the song.

As for Pop, I still think Gone is one of the better songs they've ever done.

the only version i like is the live in Rotterdam with the 4 silhouette cover.

strange... U2 make songs sound better "live" than studio.

except for One and Wild horses. never ever going to sound as good as studio.

only version came close was the top of the pops version in miami..

maybe bc edge stopped using the ES 335, les paul sounds bad on it.

ok computer

It's up there.

Joshua Tree
Dark Side of the Moon
Automatic for the People
OK, Computer
So (P. Gabriel)
Sgt. Pepper
Thriller
Disintegration
Master of Puppets
Led Zepp IV
Appetite for Destruction
Electric Ladyland
Ramones
Pet Sounds

Man, now I want to make a new Google play mix.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Blame Kirsty MacColl (RIP), the band couldn't decide on a track listing and she was dating Steve Lillywhite who was doing some mixing, and they asked her to pick a track listing and she just ended up ranking the songs by how much she liked them.
That's really interesting. Sequencing really is an art, has there been resequensing debate about this album?

kmag

That's really interesting. Sequencing really is an art, has there been resequensing debate about this album?

I don't think the Edge is a fan of the sequence. The only direction MacCall got was Where the Streets have no name had to be the first song and Mothers of the Disappeared had to be the last song.

She also dropped Heartland from the album, and I'd probably have replaced A Trip through your wires with Spanish Eyes. Although I think Heartland was swapped out for A Trip through your wires because they thought the album needed some lightness. Still not sure why they chose A Trip instead of Spanish Eyes or the Sweetest Thing.

The problem I have with this album (and it's a problem I have with a number of my favourite albums) is that the sequence is so ingrained in my mind that I can't really process another. When an album is new, I'm awfully keen to play about with my own sequencing, but for this album I know the current sequence is suboptimal but I've listened to it so many times I know what the next track is and any change grates.

kmag

p subpar record compared to their earlier stuff but i'll be damned if bullet the blue sky isn't a hot ass track

The Vinyl version is really good. I don't think it's a different mix, but there's something about that track which just comes alive on vinyl, it screams off the deck.

fester

Banned
Joshua Tree is undeniable. Never seen U2 in concert, so I'm really hoping they play more dates. I need to hear Where the Streets Have No Name live before I die.

Hearing this song live during the ZooTV tour is by far my most memorable concert experience ever. The gradual build-up that led to an explosion of lights that filled the stadium, Bono running around on stage fueled by intense passion....it was incredible. I still get chills thinking about it.

Setzer

Hearing this song live during the ZooTV tour is by far my most memorable concert experience ever. The gradual build-up that led to an explosion of lights that filled the stadium, Bono running around on stage fueled by intense passion....it was incredible. I still get chills thinking about it.

This is by far my favorite live rendition of Streets...

Link

Gives me chills every time I watch it.

Hoping to snag a ticket to this JT tour when i am stateside 23rd june - 5th july. It was one of the reasons why i booked this trip but had no ticket at the time and still dont.. :eek:

But hope i can snag one of a U2 fanforum for a reasonable price or if all else fails, stubhub.

I am a U2 maniac btw, so. Last tour i managed to go to all 4 dates in Stockholm even if i was short on cash. :D haha.. Was fantastic to see U2 at an indoor setting where i had only seen them outdoors before (360 and popmart).

-lQOu-2GE8i-46pfAM_32YQjZZ79E_Mfk5FOlQKDvcI%2C-7TiRqEnocLNA3lxYaJLyf2FPn5rpSHgVVXRjHBRceM%2CbSnidahLtAAeoeGPhy181p4xrOcndPgwwkG1o8jTXns%2C_2UM4bz2BHyzmbC_Jw6pdV3_MrMTNJhn48pFa5BJ_lU%2CvH6odYmD8zLK7qV5eLFs_34XuXQI7Gbjwq3AzS7xoCU

My PoV from that date.

koGpndN.jpg

It's up there.

Joshua Tree
Dark Side of the Moon
Automatic for the People
OK, Computer
So (P. Gabriel)
Sgt. Pepper
Thriller
Disintegration
Master of Puppets
Led Zepp IV
Appetite for Destruction
Electric Ladyland
Ramones
Pet Sounds

Man, now I want to make a new Google play mix.
I just made a google play mix with this list!

Got my ticket for the 29th at Metlife, cant wait to hear JT in full!

Crossing my fingers they keep Bad and ASOH for that show too.

RoKKeR

Realized I never posted in this thread after the show I saw at the Rose Bowl... damn, it was incredible. Best setlist of the tour so far, (A Sort of Homecoming! Bad! I Will Follow!) the place was PACKED and the crowd was into it, plus the band was on fire and Bono's voice sounded great. Highlight of the show was Exit... what a ripper that song is live, can't believe it has been MIA for so long. Also was stoked to finally hear Bad, which had eluded me for the previous 6 shows I'd seen.

Will be seeing them twice more on this tour, but that show in Pasadena was one to remember.

DAVG8gsVYAIu2jC.jpg:large

In other news, the "Super Deluxe" version of The Joshua Tree is now out on streaming services. Includes the album, a live show from MSG in 1987, a few 2017 remixes of JT songs + all of the B-sides that have been released from the era. Almost 4 hours of content in total.

Is that your pic? Up in the noosebleed section? What other shows are you gonna go to? The tour misses Sweden this time so it was a choice of either going to a show in London or going to the US, and i choosed the US this time.

I am super stoked for my upcoming show at Metlife the 29th. Hope they check ASOH back in the set, i am bummed out that they have dropped the song. Also hope they keep Bad although the song closed my 4 concert trip in Stockholm 2015.

Bad/40 is pretty much the ultimate closer for U2, why dont they realize this i wonder. Maybe they do realize it and want to keep the ultimate closer rare? Well who knows.

Chuckie

Yeap, AB is my fav album too. Then it's almost a tie between JT and UF. UF has Pride, Bad (all time fav song), Wire, Unforgettable Fire etc that are just amazing songs.

UF is great. It was the album I loved to listen to when I was going to sleep as a teenager.
Slowly drifting off while hearing "And if the mountain should crumble or disappear into the sea, not a tear, no not I" was beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom